Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

:siren: December 21st only :siren:

Liars & Cheats Pack: 800 400
Legends & Killers Pack: 800 400
Undead Nightmare: 800: 600
Undead Nightmare Collection: 1600: 1200

edit: are either of the Liars & Cheats or Legends & Killers packs worth it?

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

fennesz posted:

Too bad I won't be near my box on the 21st, I'd like to play poker against some saps.
Buy them online

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sometimes the lady just wants a ride to the nearest town.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Is there a complete list of missions where you ride shotgun with someone and get a "Skip to Destination" prompt? I just realized that I've probably unintentionally missed a lot of the conversations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Similar to what Crappy Jack was saying, part of the point was that it was anticlimactic. John never really wanted a violent life, and his reward for his struggle was a quiet, peaceful, farmer's life. It's meant to lull you into a false sense of security which slowly gets eroded by that gnawing foreboding feeling as the music in the missions gets more and more ominous, and the storm clouds keep getting thicker and thicker. There's a reason the sky is totally clear as you ride back from Cochinay to your house, but it's raining and stormy when you face the Army and Ross. If you just hang around in the West Elizabeth area in between all that, it won't actually rain. The weather is paced to the missions on purpose, it's part of the presentation.

:confused: I heroically sacrificed myself on a bright sunny day.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Replaying the mission gives you sunny weather, too.

I know they can manipulate the weather (and what song is playing on the radio, in GTA4), but they didn't for that mission.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Texture resolution, draw distance, anti aliasing, blah blah blah.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cheezymadman posted:

Final mission spoiler: Is Ross standing in the crowd that guns down John, or is he unkillable until you find him as Jack?

He's standing in the crowd, invulnerable. He was the first person I targeted in Dead Eye, and it does absolutely nothing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

RDR is enough unlike GTA4 that I actually enjoyed it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Evil Badman posted:

I can only think of two major control changes between this and GTA4. The first is a radial weapon menu, which is awesome. The second is moving Accelerate to A (and deceleration to RB), and moving shooting to the left and right triggers while in vehicles (Shooting in GTA4 from a vehicle used the bumpers). This made sense in RDR mainly due to the fact the horses are designed to hold pace while you're aiming. Liberty City has far more hazards while driving than the Wild West, so I don't think that'll cross over to GTA. Also, you'd have to do some fantastic finger stretching to hold A to keep your car moving and aim with the right thumbstick.

Hell, even Saints Row had a cruise control option and all I end up doing with that is running into a wall continually while doing drive-bys.

RDR also improved over GTA4's horrible helicopter controls and bland realistic car physics by not having helicopters or cars.

Also by virtue of not having cars, they couldn't structure every mission around chasing an invulnerable car until it stopped being invulnerable and then shooting it until it exploded.

RDR also had mid-mission checkpoints, so you didn't have to repeatedly spend minutes traveling from one end of the map to the other, listening to one of two variants of recorded dialog, and then failing the mission upon arrival.

Regenerating health made it less likely for you to fail the mission in the first place. (Saints Row 2 solved that problem differently, by letting you carry health items.)

While Liberty City is a barren empty wasteland, everywhere you go in RDR there is something to do thanks to ambient world events and the various challenges.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Note to game developers: making quests depend on random events is terrible, never do it.

I shall find you Death and Chupacabra!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Death you'll get automatically once you finish the game, the Chupacabra won't spawn until you've gotten all of the other things like it (getting all 4 horses, all the treasure hunter stuff, all the sharpshooter and hunter stuff).

Being given Death isn't sufficient for the Four Horseman challenge.

edit: Rather, being given Death doesn't skip you from Rank 3 to Rank 5.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Just killed the Chupacabra.

Now I only have rank 4 and rank 5 of the Four Horseman challenge.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Welp, after several hours (literally) of riding around aimlessly, I finally completed Four Horses of the Apocalypse rank 4 by find and breaking .... Famine.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I thought I was looking for Death, not Famine.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I had that mission glitch up twice in the exact spot you describe. The first time I reset the console, the second I just let it sit there and after a minute or two, it continued like normal.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just arrived in Mexico in Undead Nightmare, progression is pretty much 50% oh god I'm playing through this DLC too fast!

Don't worry, you'll spend hours wandering around waiting for horses or the chupacabra to spawn.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The one that's in the Xbox LIVE Marketplace requires the original Red Dead Redemption disc.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Considering how lackluster the existing new hideouts are, they could easily add more in the free DLC.

There are areas all over the map that would make a much better stages for a hideout than the terrible locations they chose to make hideouts last time.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PSA for newcomers to the game: There's a new stranger mission after you complete the story.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nudejedi posted:

It's gonna be a line-dancing variation of DDR.

For the Kinect, naturally.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

They already release the alternate ending DLC, it's called Undead Nightmare, you should check it out.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Don't know about the 1st question but as for the second question, I don't think its worth it unless you can get it for a special deal. The extra hideouts are mostly skipped since other ones give much more XP and are quicker. The hunting grounds aren't really anything special either. I would get it if you wanted more character skins though.

The annoying thing about the additional hideouts is that they picked the most boring areas of the map, instead of the many genuinely interesting and unused areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Red Dead Reunion
Red Dead Reunification
Red Dead Resupply
Red Dead Radical
Red Dead Rascals
Red Dead Rasputin
Red Dead Rollercoaster
Red Dead Rapstar