Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So any news on when the next Social Club challenges will start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pitch posted:

A lot of cheat phrases are written around the game world. The money cheat is painted on the wall inside a mine, there's another one written somewhere in Sepulcro.

A lot of them are at the bottom of the "Miscellany" section in the paper.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lothire posted:

So I tried replaying missions in order to get the Spurred To Victory trophy, but I did 25 replays with no success. I used the fastest mission I could think of (Pestilence, where you shoot the crows away from the corn) and it saved after each one, but I never got it. I can only assume the mission just doesn't count.

Has anyone gotten it from replaying missions, and which ones did you do?

It has to be a combat mission, says it right in the description even. Do the mission with the sheriff where you have to go to the bar, follow the guy, then it gives you the cover tutorial. Run ahead of the sheriff, skip the cut scenes, and just run through and blast everyone. I got it first try when I went for it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lothire posted:

That sounds like the Political Realities In Armadillo mission. I'll give it a go, thanks.

But for referance, there are two trophies in my trophy list that are Hidden and thus have no description. There were more, but they openned up as I did the story line. Out of all the trophies in my list, this particular one does not show, so I assume is one of those two still hidden.

None of the guides referancing the trophy (gamefaqs and such) describe it needing to be a combat mission, saying simply to not hitch a horse for 20 missions, so this vital bit of info has been able to elude me.

Ignore me. I misread what achievement you were going for. I think those have to be consecutive missions in the game dude, sorry.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duel posted:

Bought it yesterday and love it so far except that the game froze up completely the first time I tried to save, but I got lucky and the save still counted. And the lack of native americans. Are there any indians in this game?

By this point in history, Indians had pretty much been driven to reservations, or were living alongside whites. That being said, there are some during the last island. There are also Indians in various gangs, and as various npcs scattered about.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lothire posted:

Not until Blackwater area. They play a role in the final chapters of the story, but overall they aren't touched on much. E: beat!

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd totally dig a DLC add-on like Lost and the Damned where we play as an Indian. Living the Indian life until we're forced to leave and mingle in civilization, or die defending our land.

I think the most obvious expansion like the Stories From Liberty City at this point would be Red Dead Revolution, where you play as someone in the Mexican revolution. END GAME SPOILERS: or Red Dead Revenge, where it continues Jacks story and the fallout of him killing that douche who killed John.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

king teh posted:

This is exactly what i am worried about, tell me there are some really cool varietous missions a la san andreas

Well there is the mission two thirds of the way through where you have to break into an old west science lab and steal and old west jetpack (the jets are eagles). But you have to complete old west flight school (strapping hawks to your arms) to get to the third island, and most people find it too hard and give up.

It's the old west dude. Other than shooting people, stealing poo poo, and defending poo poo, what more do you want?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

/\/\/\Hell yeah, this is the first Rockstar game I've not only gotten 100% on, but actually WANTED to get 100%

What the hell do you need to do to get a gold rating in a combat mission? I was replaying some short, early missions in an attempt to gold them, but even getting Political Realities in Armadillo down to 3 minutes, 90% accuracy and 4 headshots on expert aim isn't moving me past bronze.

Stuff stacks. Do one where you go through slow, and get 100% accuracy, all headshots. Then do one where you just run through it as fast as you possibly can. Political Realities In Armadillo is the one to do it on. If you can get 100% in under 3 minutes you'll get the gold.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Ah, did not know it stacked. Thanks for the tip.

Neither did I for a long rear end time. If you go to the Social Club Achievements page though, it has tips on all of the single player ones like that. That was the one for that achievement that helped me through it. Anyone who's having any problems with others should check it out, seemed pretty helpful.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had no problem knifing bears by just lassoing it and running up to it and shanking it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Rockstar needs to get off their asses and get those other challenges they have planned out there. As fun as this game is, there's going to be a big drop-off in players after the initial novelty wears off and people either finish the game or get bored.

This is me right now really. I want to play, but I know they're going to start the new challenges sometime here, and I want my avatar clothes that you're apparently going to get for participating in them, so I figure I'll wait till they put them up to play. This leads to me not playing, and getting frustrated that they haven't put them up yet. I am a crazy person.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruddiger posted:

just beat it. amazing ending. SPOILERS FOR END GAME STUFF I was hoping that after I got all that revenge out of my system on Ross and his wife/brother, that the Mysterious Stranger would show up to Jack as one last stranger mission by John's grave, but when I returned back to the Marston Ranch, no one was there. It's such a loving bummer coming back to the ranch which used to have John, Abigail, Jack and his uncle wandering around, doing everyday ranch stuff to just empty property, not even hired hands tending the horses.

Also, can the Aztec Gold stranger mission be done with Jack or did I have to do it with John? Lucky for me I've been using saving alternately between two slots so I have a save right before the mission where he dies. if it's a John-only stranger mission, I can always reload my previous save. Now the only question is do I want to work towards 100% as John or Jack... I can always do it as John and drag out the very very last mission until I get 99.whatever% getting as much family time as possible. Hell I may just never do the last mission and let him live happily ever after. Take that, Rockstar.

All stranger missions, except mysterious stranger, which doesn't count for 100%, can be done after the last mission.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The song Compass later is just as cool. As is the end credits song. The music cues in this game were literally perfect.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OrangeGuy posted:

Still, what was up with the stranger in I Know You. I think I saved after I finished the last instance of that mission, but I'd bet money that is some apparition of Jack's future self.

The most likely theories are that he's either god, the devil, or the personification of death. I lean more closely to the devil, for how he looks and his general manner.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jack was certainly pissed, but he wanted to talk to him first, and look him in the eye as he killed him. There was still no honor in it. Ross was an old man, and Jack was an 18 year old raised by outlaws and gunslingers his whole life, who's probably spent the last 2 years doing nothing but practicing for this day. It wasn't a fair fight, Ross never had a chance.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pres posted:

I was flicking through the tv last night and stumbled upon "Red dead Redemption: The Man from black water". It was a tv show with all the fmv's badly spliced together up to where you finish fort mauser. I felt like I don't even need to own the game when they're revealing the whole story on a TV show.

That wasn't a tv show. That was the 30 minute long "short film" that John Hillcoat "directed" despite it apparently just being cut scenes edited together.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

So, is there any purpose for the skins/meat/etc. other than selling them?

The first (and so far only) time I jumped on multiplayer, I was invited to a posse that said they were hunting for Sasquatch. Since I had no idea what I was doing, I just got lost and mauled by cougars. I got the distinct impression that I was being hosed with.

If you beat the Hunter challenges you get vittles for skinning animals, which act like medicine. And yeah, you were being hosed with.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

War Pig posted:

(More post-endgame spoilers) Some of my favorite Jack quotes are when he yells "Do you believe I'm a Marston now?" and "I've got nothing else to live for now." Some other telling quotes, when gunning down lawmen, are "What has the law ever done for me?" I definitely agree that Jack's quips add a lot of characterization to a desperate and lost boy.

I agree. And if anyone is playing Jack as anything other than a pissed off directionless drifter, they're doing it wrong. He was raised by outlaws, and even though John and his wife wanted something better for him, Ross guaranteed that would never be the case, and created another version of the same kind of monster he had set out to destroy in the first place.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IGN has the whole "short film" up. It's really underwhelming.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DLC is up in the Canadian store.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was hanging out at the ranch near Blackwater the other day and had something like 40 wolves, in short bursts, walk by passively. I was standing right there, and not a single one of them attacked me, and none of them even ran away after I started killing them. That was one hell of a pay day.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, I think what they did was take the idea of the old Texas of the 1800's, which included bits of Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado, and blended it all together into a state/territory which resembles the Southwest without being a specific US state. Also, even though Texas was a state by then, I'm not sure that RDR's US location is meant to be a state. It could still be open territory (which would explain why the government is just starting to intrude on people's lives there).

Nah, it's a state. They talk about the guy who's running for Governor at the beginning and in one of the missions. In fact, I believe that New Austin and West Elizabeth are both different states, that we're only seeing a small portion of.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Senator Woofington posted:

Any word when us PC losers are gonna get our hands on this?

According to Rockstar, right around never-ish. So probably in a year or so.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just don't fast travel between locations. It takes longer in game time to fast travel than it does to ride somewhere.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ranathari posted:

Maybe I'm being incredibly dense but how the hell do I play the DLC on the PS3? I've downloaded and installed it, and it's showing up in the DLC menu but there doesn't seem to be any way to play it - no new missions in single player or multiplayer.

When you go into free roam, there should be new options in the menu you bring up with the select button.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheGoatFeeder posted:

I've been loving this game and only just thought to check through the games forums to see if there was a thread for it, but I had a question, basically I was on a Red Dead wiki last night and noticed that it said that Luisa Fortuna died, I have no recollection of that happening at all and just wondered how it happened and at which point. Did I miss a bit of dialogue somewhere, or was it in the opening cut scene to the final assault in Mexico (my 360 decided to bug out during that video).

I have just opened up Blackwater and worrying that I am getting close to the end!

Yup, that cut scene is bugged.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My favorite random event is still the guy crying over the corpse of his dead wife, who then pulls out a gun and shoots himself in the head.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bitey posted:

Okay, having played out single player pretty exhaustively, I've just started multiplayer.

This is the first game I've ever tried to play online. I'm quickly learning what the rest of you already know – namely, most of these online gamers are dicks.

The first session was pretty good. A guy on a zonkey rode up to my bowler-hatted greenhorn guy. Upon seeing I had the beginner's donkey, he thoughtfully shot it in the head for me and then whistled for a better horse. He let me ride the zonkey around for a while, then I got on the passable horse and we cleared a hideout. This apparently “leveled me up” (I'm learning the jargon now) to the point that I could change my appearance and elect to ride, you know, an actual horse.

The next session didn't go as well.

I chose a fat bandito avatar and set about picking flowers and shooting bunnies. It looked pretty ridiculous to see the fat bandito picking desert sage, plus I was getting shot all the time by “griefers” (jargon).

I figured the code of the West, or a sense of decency, or something, would inhibit other players from shooting me if I picked a different avatar. So I chose one of the two female avatars available to me. If I'm not shooting other players and just picking flowers and poo poo, and I'm a “lady,” you'd think they'd leave me alone... right?

Nope. I get on my horse and I hear some jackass with a headset say “Yeah, get on the horse, bitch!” This was supremely ill-timed because my wife had just walked into the room. “Okay, I'm officially creeped out now.” I quit the game immediately, before I even had a chance to plant a $10 tomahawk in the misogynistic fucker's face.

Now I'm torn. Do I stop playing online? Or do I level up to the point where I have all the weapons, then go riding around as a woman and wait for this to happen again? Then it would be “Get on the horse, b-” followed by buffalo rifle to the head.

I'll probably do the latter. I wish gamers weren't such a perfect cross-section of humanity, though.

So... I'm on PS3. How do I go about playing with some of you nice folks?

Your story is bullshit, no one on PS3 has a headset :colbert: Here's my real solution if you can do it on PS3 though (I've never taken the time to look): mute everyone's headsets so you can't hear anyone unless you specifically want to. Works for me on Xbox. Never have to hear 12 year olds calling me a friend of the family unless I drat well choose to.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bitey posted:

I found the headset from my old PS2 I used for “Manhunt” (don’t ask). It’s USB and works just fine on the PS3.

Just want to say that, I'm fairly sure, in a thread about a Rockstar game you don't have to hide the fact that you bought Manhunt. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

Trying my hand at multiplayer too. I'm being shot at as I type this. I can hear it.
:(

How do I save in multiplayer?

Everything you do in multiplayer is automatically saved.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

Yeah, I just figured that out when I cleared out one of the gang hideouts. Jumped 3 levels because of it :D

Anyone want to play sometime? (Speaking of, how do I find other players easily?)

If you're playing in public free roam, it's really hit and miss for finding other people that you would even want to play with. There's matchmaking for the other game modes, so that's not a problem though, as you don't really have to talk to or cooperate with those people past simple objectives.

If you're on 360 I believe there's a Goon metatag for this game still...HighPlainsGoons, was it? Also if you're on 360 I'd be down to play sometime after this weekend, as I'm not going to have my internet hooked up in my new place till then (leeching of a neighbors unsecured wireless right now, which isn't fast enough for games).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

http://www.showbizspy.com/article/211335/brad-pitt-to-star-in-red-dead-redemption-movie.html

No chance in hell this would ever happen, but it's an interesting thought.

Tom Jane would be better :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

isk posted:

Yep, animals on the ranch tend to be passive. I think I capped 10 cougars in a row after finding their spawn point. They'd just pop up, shuffle in a straight line to the fence while completely ignoring me.

Only exception I've seen are wolf packs.

I actually had 20 so wolves spawn on the ranch, all at one time. They didn't do anything but kind of walk towards the west. I ate good that night, I tell you what.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jtd2f2lLtA&feature=related

I'll leave this right here.

The guy who fell off the rock is the worst person I've ever seen at video games, and should just loving quit. It's not that hard to jump for fucks sake.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Spaniard posted:

Yeah, I didn't realise the legendary mounts thing even existed until one of you guys told me about it. That's ridiculous. I don't want to grind to 50 4 times in a row to get every mount. I've gotten kind of bored just playing as it is. Until the Zombie pack comes out, anyway.

I seriously doubt that'll be interesting enough to get me to 50 more than a second time, if that.

Isn't the bulk of the zombie content single player, anyway?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know if you can use a multiplayer save from the 360 on a ps3 game?

I don't think you can, but hey, wanted to check and find out what everyone else though. I kinda hate to lose my level 37 guy on the 360 but I refuse to pay more than 30$ for live access.

Counting down the days until the zombie pack :dance:

Nope, no way to transfer. The first, and to this point only, inter-platform save game sharing will be with Portal 2 on PS3, which will keep your saves in the Steam Cloud, and be available on PC.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

Wait wait wait...wait. You don't think the new True Grit looks good?!

Not even promising? Coen Brothers? Jeff Bridges? Matt Damon? Josh Brolin? Every shot in the drat trailer looks great.

I think he was saying he didn't like the 3:10 To Yuma remake, which is also crazy talk.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a huge zombie outbreak in the otherwise realistic and gritty world of Red Dead Redemption is 100% non-canonical and just for funsies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Basically every episode of the The Simpsons is non-canon. It's a sandbox for writers to do whatever the hell they want with established characters with little to no repercussions on the series as a whole. Very few moments in Simpsons history have ever been called back on.

I would argue that while specific events aren't important (although I remember Mr. Burns always being afraid of Maggie after Who Shot Mr. Burns), character traits are established and carry on, such as Lisa being a vegetarian and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Corzaa posted:

Has anyone ever seen an animal fight? I was up in Tall Trees and saw a Wolf and Bear fighing each other. I thought the Wolf had chased it off but then the Bear ran back and killed the Wolf with one swipe. :(

I shot the Bear after that.

I've seen coyotes gathering around dead deer, and wolves chasing them and attacking deer, but never two of the aggressive animals fighting each other.

• Locked thread