Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Epic moment: going after my first bounty of the game. I waste his gang, and then go after him. He's outpacing me by a fair amount, and I finally catch up to him going up a steep hill on horse. Sick of the chase, I just fire a few rounds off the cuff at him.

Him and the horse roll down the loving hill making all sorts of grunting noises. At the bottom of the hill he gets up, steals my horse, and manages to make it a few feet before I plug the horse, then him.

This loving game. The bitch of it was that I was going to take him alive and thought putting three to four bullets through his legs would work since it did for the first sheriff mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

End of the game observation, so if you haven't, don't scan over it.

The beauty of the last revenge mission is how Edgar Ross becomes John Marston but in a slightly different setting. If John cannot escape his past as an outlaw, then Edgar certainly can't escape his profession at all: his wife goes on about how the Bureau refuses to let him go (playing into his 'working man' nature of spreading 'civilization' to the West) and it finally hit me that the Ross mission changes the whole 'can't escape your past' theme with 'can't escape your situation/profession' theme. It flies in the face of America being a land of opportunity and turns everybody into an indentured servant who's held in place by some twisted sense of honor. And just as everybody gets what they want--Marston's bucolic family life, Ross finally gets a vacation--they are cut down because they have no more use. The idea of emotional fulfillment--Marston's family life, Ross's job--become another leash to be jerked around by. The tragedy of America, according to this game, is that your dreams are used against you. Even Ross, the pinnacle of lawlessness, cannot escape this. He tries to use civilization and savagery as a convenient Other, but it's just the same power dynamic that he used on Marston that eventually has him stupidly trying to outdraw a very young and bitter man on the riverbank: except this time, he dies like a dog.

I guess I'm just impressed by the thought that went into the story's themes. Finally all those scenes of lengthy discussion finally add up to something. And I thought the final story mission was quite powerful in this regard. The Nature or Nurture element is essentially a fiction and relies on the idea of civilization as a good and positive force. If anything, the nature of mankind as a violent creature is what is real. Dutch, to a point, was correct: it's a paradox. But in this regard, there might be a way around it, but it's not going to come from creating an Other to externalize the conflict. Ross's mission to 'civilize' is just going to make the barbaric nature of mankind more palatable and ultimately nilhilistic. Take note of the silence, awe, and horror of Ross's manmade tank just four short years before World War I destroys the idea of honorable war and replaces it with one of the greatest themes of the 20th Century: easy mass murder on a scale that eventually forces a greater sense of peace. Marston's world allows for a lot of death, but Ross's 'better' world allows for jingoistic mass murder on a much, much greater scale and with less regret and more detachment. In this case, which is really the 'better' world: the one where you kill on a somewhat personal level to the tune of hundreds, or the one where you kill on an impersonal level to the tune of hundreds of thousands? Neither is palatable, but the latter is so dangerous because the lesson and guilt of death is never learned.

Pretty deep for a Rockstar game.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Brightman posted:

Part of me wants to say it's just a coincidence, but they are really good at social commentary, so I have to agree that it was intentional and does bring up a lot of good points. GTA does this too in a more topical sense, but no one really pays it enough mind to see it most of the time.

Plus most of their commentary focuses on the corrosive effects of capitalism with America as the focus. There's a paper in there somewhere.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mastiff posted:

Amusing spoiler for the I Know You stranger task: On the last leg of the task, the stranger walks away from John, who tries to shoot him in the back. The bullets do nothing. It's all very mysterious and supernatural. But a few times in this game I'd run into a bug where a stranger who is de-spawned reappears in front of me after the task ends. Sure enough, this mysterious supernatural stranger reappeared immediately after he walks away and disappears. So I whipped out my shotgun, shoved the barrel underneath his chin, and murdered Him.

Now this is Nietzschean!

I did have one really odd moment when (ENDGAME) I faced off against Ross. I forgot that the guy I had on me was the High Powered Pistol. When I went to draw, I was amazed I could place eight shots. Five of them went for Ross's face, and the others went to his chest. When I drew, Ross actually ducked but the pistol still destroyed him before he had a chance to get a shot off. As Jack walked away and the credits rolled, I realized I had killed the motherfucker with the same gun he gave John back in Blackwater. I had to smile at that. Talk about irony, you rat bastard.

That said, with the I Know You stranger mission, would it really be out of place for Jack to come back for a DLC? We're already in the Magical Realism genre here and having Jack Marston come back as a Saint of Killers would rock. It won't happen, but imagining him as a God of Hellfire just tickles my fancy. That said, has Rockstar discounted any DLCs like Lost & Damned at all? It would be a shame since there's plenty of stuff to do. A lot of white spaces on those maps as well....

Edit: Plus Bonnie is given a lot of character just to be a one-off. Perhaps she has a story of her own in the West?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Whoa Black Betty posted:

e1: That said, I hope we get batches of new characters in future DLC just for the helluvit (as opposed to 1 or 2 at a time, which everyone would then use :v: ). Some of the random Outfitter characters have neat names that make me wonder what their story is, like Tricky Pat Dempson :)

e2: Oh god, Rockstar should have made the final Legendary Mount a fuckin automobile that three friends could join you in as passengers. How cool would that be? Seems like an appropriate and fun reward for all that grinding too, you know? Gah! Does anybody have any stats on the mounts? I'd like to know what the particulars are between the Hungarian and the American, as well as the bulls and the buffaloes.

If there was going to be a legendary mount, it has to be a prototype Sherman Tank.

And Rockstar's future DLC might include costumes, and I insist on this:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

One thing I love about hunting: the look on the bear that has taken half a Mauser clip to the face. Didn't think about that before charging me, did you, Mr. Bear?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Survivalist Mission 10 is bugging me:

Collect ten of the Violet Snowcaps, THEN collect two of each herb remaining? Do you have to do it in that order for it to work??

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stupid question that I didn't see in the OP: does anybody have any more Deadly Assassin codes left? I wouldn't mind one. Also, how does one go about killing wolves for Master Hunter 3? I tried shooting them once, but they usually take off as fast as they run, making it impossible to be followed.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I get the feeling if Rockstar charges for a DLC, it'll include that in it ala the American Baseball Bat in L4D2's The Passing.

Anyway, if anybody has a code they want to get rid of, throw me a line: nickzbu@yahoo.com.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I think I mentioned something like this before where (yes, more end of the game spoilers)there really isn't a difference between Ross and John. Both men are responsible for wholesale slaughter. Ross tries to create a difference by saying he's doing this for 'civilization' but in the end, he's just like John Marston: a man who kills on a fantastic level for an end. If anything, he comes off worse than John because Ross's behavior doesn't have a way or a method for guilt and regret. Marston feels some regret for his actions and is trying to make it right because every man he kills, he did so personally. Ross uses technology that not only will making death easier and more efficient but removes the guilt from the equation. John isn't a perfect character and has a lot of blood on his hands, but its his hands. Ross goes by proxy and thinks that absolves him of guilt and it doesn't by a long shot. In the end, both men think they can always walk away from it and detach themselves. Both are proven wrong when they get someone knocking on their door and filling them with bullets.

Note, however, that John Marston shows more humanity in his death than Ross does in his: Marston is scared and knows he's going to die and sacrifices himself for his family. Ross, however, starts screaming like a bitch and making threats and ends up dying alone while trying to defend his actions and his masculinity against a very young and bitter man who completely dominates him. Marston comes off better because he shows regret: he's not above redemption and the raising of his son shows that. Ross, on the other hand, would probably never get God/Death talking to him because he'll never grasp what he's done. For Ross, he's all business, civilization, and bureaucracy, and other devices designed to shift or obscure blame. Notice how his last words to Jack touch upon this and how he thinks his threats and his position will actually stop Jack from not destroying him. Marston dies a man; Ross simply dies like an animal.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

porktree posted:

Did you kill a songbird?

The birds are going to be the ones that really mess you up since they're in the sky and not easily identifiable. I got Sharpshooter Rank 5 five seconds after Rank 4 because I went into dead eye to get a few more birds for the feathers and it qualified.

Did you get an eagle as well?

Edit: All this GTA IV talk makes me wonder if this is canonical to the GTA series. It probably isn't, but it would be hilarious if a future DLC has the forming state of San Andreas in there. Especially if Las Venturas is just empty space without any water.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 13, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Biggabam posted:

This whole experience was incredible, I loved every moment of it. The credits made me sad because John Marston never got to see Bonnie again.

Yeah he did. He sees her when he goes to get some cattle from her and takes his wife, who's incredibly jealous. It's one of the first rancher missions. Personally, I think she's coming back for a future DLC since the last time we see her doesn't seem like an ending by any means.

Still, it's an awesome game.

quote:

Is there some trick to the 'Shoot Two Hats Off Two Different People Within Five Seconds' challenge?

I got it accidentally when I was trying to do the Five American Hideouts in one game day thing. Sadly, the game didn't tell me I unlocked the outfit until I checked, which wasn't helpful.

quote:

Red Dead Redemption stands so well on its own, and has such a different feel to it, that to tie it in the Rockstar universe would probably spoil it. I actually half-expected them to mention Liberty City at some point in the game, since Rockstar just loves continuity with all their other series. At least with their sandbox games.

Except Bully, but then some sick part of me likes to imagine that Jimmy Hopkins grows up to be alias "James Earl Cash".

Manhunt exists in the same universe as GTA does. Liberty City Stories confirmed this on their radio stations, and there were some rumors that I can't remember the origins that said that the old Liberty City setup from LCS had a closed off tunnel that supposedly went to Carcer City as an in-joke. Personally, I wouldn't be that upset if West Elizabeth, New Austin, and the Mexican states were right next to San Andreas. It would just be another neat connection that would have no real effect on gameplay.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 13, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

No Mods No Masters posted:

There are several explicit references to New York in general and Manhattan in particular in RDR, which of course do not exist in the GTA continuity; they're not set in the same universe.

edit: not to mention, of course, the stranger mission "California" that explicitly references California

Both San Andreas and GTA IV had references to their real life counterparts as well, especially in the music. Rockstar isn't too careful about that but loves referencing other games. For all we know, California in RDR could mean San Andreas, the area around it, or a mystical land like El Dorado.

Either or, it's not like it's gonna happen anyway. ;)

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

God drat it, most people when they say they're having problems with Unnatural Selection are missing things like ducks or seagulls. It turns out that I had never killed a WILD horse and that's what I needed.

Two more bounty missions and I get 100%. I think this will be the first game I've ever really done that for.

Edit: Wooo, Redeemed. Also kind of weird, on my last bounty mission in Mexico I had a guy chasing me on a donkey.

Same here. The only thing I'm missing is a duck (apparently I missed a save when I killed one) and a beaver.

The beavers haunt me, man. Grumble.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Well, I got into a wolf war a little North of the Railroad Union post and accidentally shot a beaver. I skinned it, but I think I figured my problem: I'm always looking near water thinking that the beavers will always be there. Hurr durr for me.

I'll keep searching. Thanks for all the advice. Bright side? I got Unnatural Selection. Now I just need to kill two cougars with my knife, get the Buffalo Rifle, and continue with life.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Finally got my beavers! Bearclaw Camp, I could kiss you! And I even got two of my three one-shot bear requirements for Sharpshooter 6. And knifing cougars is easy: one Evans Repeater bullet, then chase them down while screaming like a little girl.

Now, if you can lasso a bear, I think I might be able to get 100% for this game. Ahh, good times. This game. This. Game.

Edit: How soon is Outlaws to the End coming? The title screen now has a scroll telling me to be prepared for it. This week?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, it's an object you get when you reach the highest amount of Honor. Well, you're SUPPOSED to get it at that point, but I didn't.

I got it pretty early in the game in Armadillo. I was playing as a good guy if that helps. Plus it made me realize I should brake for nuns.

Most of the time. Sorry, Sister Esmeralda de Mccantgetoutofthefuckingway.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

As for Bonnie:

She was crushing mad on John Marston and her reaction at the end is 'why can't I find the right guy EVER' and then she went back to her life on the ranch. Plus, Ross had to give Marston his family back: if he welshed on his deal, he would have been killed in 1910. Marston had to be calmed first before he was killed. Otherwise, he would have just gone into Blackwater and iced everybody before destroying Ross.

Notice that Ross never does anything in the game besides shoot a dead man and attempt to shoot Jack. He's a filthy bureaucrat who can't do anything directly and pays for it in the end when he's killed. He doens't even shoot John Marston, he just sits there and watches him expire behind several army soldiers.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

fennesz posted:

Honestly with all of the fantastically badass poo poo going on in this game, for some reason the conclusion to Eva in Peril is probably my favorite thing in this game so far.

I mean, come on a duel at sunset over the grave of a girl who just wanted more out of life than to be a prostitute in the middle of the Mexican desert. I shot that bastard in the head so many times.

Oh yeah, that had to be done. I still don't get why he was digging her back up. It just seemed to be adding in a necrophilia subplot where it wasn't necessary. I mean, he just killed her, it was sad and tragic enough.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

Fairly sure that Rockstar said they're not doing Episode-style DLC for RDR.

Then it makes the inevitable sequel that much more satisfying. The whole pre-World War I atmosphere is brilliant and full of promise on its own. If it's one thing Rockstar does well, it's zeitgeist.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Are Goons still doing multiplayer on the 360? I'm thinking about hitting some of the co-op missions but right now I'm just leveling up and going about it that way. Name's ZBU, I should be on tonight.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

To the nice person who sent me a message regarding multiplayer, I decided to duck out today because we got slammed again weatherwise. Two more tornadoes combined for five confirmed touchdowns in the last few weeks. One hell of a storm season so far.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

FuriousGeorge posted:

Minor postgame story question: Is there anything in the postgame that says anything about Bonnie's fate? There's nothing in the final newspaper, and I thought I read somewhere that you can overhear townspeople talk about her getting married or something. Haven't run across that though. I just kinda felt bad for her, poor girl really wanted to get laid.

I was guessing that her fate being unresolved would make her dead certain to be involved in any DLC. But since the only thing I've heard about that is 'no giant DLCs,' I'm guessing she might show up but will probably just continue owning the Ranch and letting it become a town in its own right.

And I need to learn how to close my tags. poo poo.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Hal Gill username posted:

It seems pretty clear that Jack is understandably angry, whether that makes him bad or not I guess is up to the player. Unfortunately for me his 'lets go! LETS GO!' line sounds almost exactly like Eric Cartman.

If you listen to him more, you can tell that Jack's mind is starting to slip as well and he's falling into the role that he assumes that his father had. When you go out hunting and he keeps mentioning that 'dad said I wasn't much of a hunter,' you realize that his bitterness is starting to affect his mind to the point where he's not misremembering reality, he's changing it so he's a permanent outlaw who always proves someone in authority wrong. His father didn't think he couldn't be a hunter, you dumb son of a bitch. He just said you shouldn't go off and start hunting BEARS on your own. But Jack seems to be really hosed up by the experience of having his entire family die in the span of a few years. Sure, the man responsible is now rotting in the Rio Grande and being used as Beaver food, but that doesn't reverse the incredible trauma that boy has experienced or the resultant mental illness that comes from that. And considering he's emulating his father while dismissing reality, one can only wonder what will really become of Jack Marston and his cowboy ways. He kinda picked the wrong time to become a cowboy now that everything from 1914 onwards starts changing the entire layout of the nation quite quickly. He'll be 35 when the Great Depression hits, and in his mid-forties when World War II begins. Not a good future for a cowboy there.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Wild Bill Hiccup posted:

Searched a few pages back but I couldn't find anything related to my problem...

I try going into Free Roam by pressing X at the main title menu. It goes to the Free Roam loading screen, then a message says something like it's putting me back into Free Roam because I was disconnected due to my connection with other players, even though I never got into Free Roam in the first place. It then goes back to loading Free Roam, and the cycle continues until I'm forced to turn off my Xbox.

I've been able to join one Free Roam game, where there was one other player, but it took me like 5 cycles of what I mentioned above and ever since then I haven't been able to join at all. Has anyone else encountered this?

I did last night. I tried fiddling with my firewall but I hear it happens a lot to people who have AT&T DSL and use their Motorola modem. Then again, this particular repeat free roam problem hasn't started happened until the last few days.

Considering that Rockstar released a patch designed to fix this problem, there's probably problems on their end as well. More loving issues.

Anyway, a bit humor: I got probably my last bounty last night. It was on Nekoti Rock and I was just tired of dealing with the nonsense of roping and what not. But by the time I eliminated the gang and was heading up the mountain, I figured I could snag him.

Unfortunately, he was on a horse bearing down on me. I went into dead eye and tried to disarm, but then figured shooting his horse would be better. His horse bites it and this loser goes FLYING down the mountain. poo poo. I run down to get him, only to find he slid and is running for his life. Horse by my side, I bolt after him.

I catch up only to find he's pissed off a boar and is getting knocked around. The next five minutes have the boar ramming him hard, and he taking a few shots at the boar that go nowhere. Finally, the boar knocks down the bounty, and I kill both with the pistol, grab proof, and run off.

This game.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

My favorite part of the zombie DLC?

"Mr. Ross, so you're back from the dead. Well, time to put your into the GRAVE AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER!" *unloads high powered pistol into his face yet again*

Good times.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

duck monster posted:

Is there a way to get the old "Dark horse" type horses back? I got my all black speedy stallion dude, but I dunno, I miss my glue faced race-losing cliff-diving spastic. He might be a stupid horse, but he's my stupid horse. :(

The licenses for all of them are on sale at the general shop. Then you can have that horse forever.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I choose the best of both worlds. I get the fiddy bucks, but then I shoot her in the knee and watch her limp away.

Yea, try dancing on THAT leg ya hussy. :clint:

Nah, this is how you do it.

She runs away, then you lasso her, hogtie her, and leave her next to her confederates as they rot. Chances are someone will be around to help her. I couldn't care less. The bitch tried to kill me, she can stand to free herself over the next few days.

Unless the coyotes get her first. Either way, that's for nearly ending my life.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 16, 2010

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Multiplayer, Free Roam. Master Hunter II Level 3. I'm hunting the Jaguar in Tall Trees. Oh, excuse me, it's actually called....

COUGARGEDDON

Jesus. loving. Christ. TEN?? Yeah, I can kill ten. It's the other loving thirty of them getting me that's the problem. I almost want the top of that cabin to be reachable with a mounted machine gun so it's a fair fight.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I hope they give out a date for the new DLC. Playing as Red Harlow would rock in multiplayer. Make the slog a little more fun.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Well, the big day for the DLC. Any word on what time it'll break?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

GenoCanSing posted:

How big is the L&K download?

41 MB.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

How does one use the Tomahawk as a melee weapon? I can only throw it.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Sco Dylan posted:

Double XP weekend!

I'd be happy if this doesn't mean I would have to play it four more times to unlock absolutely everything. Dammit, why can't getting a Zonkey be easy?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Unless you're into competitive stuff, the DLC pack isn't worth your time. The tomahawk is really satisfying (Like really, really satisfying) when you nail someone square in the back or right in the face, but that alone isn't worth the price of admission for most. The pack is really about new multiplayer maps and fan service for Revolver fans. So if that does nothing for you, you won't be missing out.

Plus a few more achievements to goad people into going into Legendary status. I found that incredibly cheap since you have to do it five times in order to get everything. I wouldn't mind some of the mounts being attached to some of the other game modes to push more people into playing Shoot Outs and the like, but so it goes.

Still, the DLC isn't really worth buying. The skins are nice and the tomahawk is awesome, but still...it's missing something to make it worth $10. They should have just kept everything in until the MP Dice and Poker games.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CheshireCat posted:

You can shoot the gun or poison out of their hand for some honor. Or watch them die with no hit to your honor.

Or hogtie them and wait for Scarf a cougar to get them. Or drag them behind a train so their life ends with some kind of comic release.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Scarf posted:

You should see me drive a stagecoach...

Does the revenge cougar ride shotgun or in the back? I like to think it has a shotgun. :unsmith:

Last night I was pimping in free roam, trying to make Level 40 for a new horse and some new stuff. Some lunatic joins me and starts shooting me from behind. He's not even doing it for the XP, he just wants to take out everybody himself. Which works until he gets gunned down in the town.

Anyway, I get to the end and manage to kill everybody in the house. As the guy looks over the carnage, I tomahawk him twice in the back of the head. He doesn't die, he just staggers on his feet, two hawks in his head, and looks at me.

Then I plant a third in his face. Something about it was just hilarious to me.

This game. This game.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

bruno jarbridge posted:

What's the best thing to grind out exp in multiplayer? I don't plan on passing into legendary I just want that drat Buffalo Rifle.

Replaying the hideouts. Pike's Basin, Tumbleweed, and Gaptooth Ridge give out XP in the thousands.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Speaking of DLC, what's up with the Liars Pack with the multiplayer dice and poker? They said late August and it's going on the 28th. Maybe they're running into problems. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

No, Liars and Cheaters was supposed to drop 'in late August.' But since they're adding Free Roam to it without charging any more, that rocks. I can't wait to see what the seven extra hideouts will be. I'll go Legendary for that if I can level up like a mofo.

Good times. :)

• Locked thread