Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Oh my God the thread title. Every time I read it all I hear in my head is "I'm Herbert Moooooooooooooooooooon!"

I still haven't unlocked Mexico yet on this playthrough and I've only got one ambient challenge left that I can complete as far as I can remember. I've got to do the Hunting Level 5 challenge and for some reason it's a lot harder this time than I remember it being. Fuuuuuck. I keep shooting the cougar bastards then switching over to the knife, but I either get smoked or the little fuckers run away and disappear into the horizon. It's so unfair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

nobueno posted:

Someone mentioned in a free roam that there is an achievement for having a $1000 dollar bounty on your head and staying alive for 10 minutes? Confirm/Deny?

You need to become a public enemy and survive for 10 minutes, then escape the wanted level. It's very easy to do at El Presidio. It's called Most Wanted. Did it earlier in about 20 minutes with some goons (or was it yesterday?) holding the fort.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Yeah, when I heard him shout "It's Herbert Moooooooooon" for the first time I assumed at first that Herbert Moon was some famous bandit or something and that he was the one who had robbed him (the shopkeeper, that is). Then he continued with "I'm Herbert Moon! I've just been robbed!" and I was just like "Ohhh. Gotcha. You're gonna be like that ain'tcha. Okey dokey." Such an interesting but ultimately repetitive encounter. I've just started shooting the bandit instead of lassoing him. I've got more important poo poo to do than guard the valuables of some incompetent anti-Semitic shopkeeper who, despite my returning his money near on a hundred times now, has yet to give me anything better than a 50% discount.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

When you fist fight with people, a prompt to tackle them may come up. It shows up in the bottom right part of the screen. You usually have to punch them several times for it to show up, and the move lets you wail on them some more.

If I can be even more specific to help with this, the prompt for the ground tackle will appear after you successfully chain three punches. Score three hits without whiffing and punching the air and you'll get the press Y/Triangle for Ground Tackle prompt and you'll be able to tackle them. Then just hammer the punch button to enjoy the sight of Marston honorably beating the gently caress out of a man while he's down.

It's one of my new favorite "I'm John Wayne!" habits.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

^^^ Username/Post combo for maximum creepiness factor.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

coyo7e posted:

It's creepy that someone with the name coyote, might know a little something about the animal or have bookmarks to image and sound and video of them?

The sounds that coyotes make creep me out. When I was a kid, during the summer, my parents would leave my bedroom window open at night and there was a den of them in the woods near our house, so I had to listen to them howling all night. To this day just the sound of them or mention of them creeps me out.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

In the Landon Ricketts mission 'Lucky in Love,' which serves as the tutorial mission for duels (whose loving idea was it to put this halfway through the game?), do I have to kill Muller in the duel? I've been through more than twenty duels already in the game, all of which I won through disarm - I'm trying to play as a John Wayne version of Marston who, while willing to get some killing done to get the job finished, isn't a sociopathic mass murderer - and I'm not exactly thrilled at the thought of being forced by a mission to headshot some poor bastard when I'm more than capable of outgunning him to the degree of shooting his gun out of his hand and making him live the rest of his life in shame instead of turning him into a martyr. I keep getting smoked because, unlike the typical duels I've been in, I can't just target his arm and then shoot. It wants me to loving rape him about the face, neck, and head and I just haven't got any interest in doing so if I don't have to.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

liquidypoo posted:

Same here. I doubt it matters, but which system was this done on?

I have confirmed that it works on the 360. It really, really works. My lawman is now not only the best horse-riding cliff diver, but also a skilled freestyle BASE jumper.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

liquidypoo posted:

Well that might be my problem. Before I jump to conclusions about console differences though, I should probably test it out again. I was trying it in single player, that might have prevented it from working correctly.

It only works in Multiplayer from what I've experienced. I find that triggering the glitch is inconsistent at times, but I can confirm that aiming increases the altitude that you'll reach (longer you hold the aim button, the higher you'll climb). I tend to attach to the logs, go all the way to the right, and then just repeatedly tap the attach to cover in differing frequencies until I launch.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

It's even better when you're being attacked by one of those bandito "hide behind the stagecoach" groups and you hop off your horse, take a few shots at the little fellas, then decide "eh, gently caress this and gently caress these guys" and whip out the dynamite, hurl it, and then watch in horror as your horse, driven to panic by all the gun fire and running around like wild, runs into the blast radius of your dynamite and is turned into a ragdoll along with the banditos.

Rest in peace, Blanco Nino. Your death was hilariously stupid and senseless. My next horse will be named in your honor.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

:siren: DLC Announcement! :siren:

Rockstar Games posted:

Today, we are proud to announce plans for an ongoing series of downloadable content for Red Dead Redemption.

Four packs of add-on downloadable content will be released for PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE over the next few months, starting with the ‘Legends and Killers’ Pack at the beginning of August and culminating with the Red Dead Redemption ‘Undead Nightmare’ Pack this fall. These packs follow the recent release of the Free ‘Outlaws to The End’ Co-Op Mission Pack, which is available now on PlayStation Network and Xbox LIVE.

The upcoming downloadable content includes:

Legends and Killers Pack (Releasing beginning of August 2010)
New active map locations, characters and more:

* 9 New Multiplayer map locations — more than doubling the amount of territories in the Multiplayer Competitive modes
* 8 New Multiplayer characters— play as characters from Red Dead Revolver
* Introducing a new projectile weapon: the Tomahawk, with corresponding Challenges for single player and multiplayer
* New Achievements/Trophies
* Pricing: $9.99 (PlayStation Network), 800 Microsoft Points (Xbox LIVE)

Liars and Cheats Pack
New Competitive Modes, Multiplayer Mini-games in Free Roam, and more:

* ‘Attack and Defend’ Multiplayer Competitive Mode and Challenges
* New Multiplayer Horse Races complete with mounted combat
* Play as the heroes and villains of Red Dead Redemption as well as 8 additional multiplayer characters
* Multiplayer versions of Liars Dice and Poker from the single-player game
* Introducing a new weapon: the Explosive Rifle, with associated Challenges available in single-player and multiplayer
* New Achievements/Trophies
* Release date TBC

Free Roam Pack
Delve deeper into the world of Red Dead Redemption with new Modes, Challenges and Gang Hideouts to discover:

* Additional Free Roam Challenges
* New action areas and defensive placements
* Posse Scoring / Posse Leaderboards
* New ‘anti-griefing’ measures in Free Roam
* Release date and pricing TBC

Undead Nightmare Pack
Ghost towns and cemeteries come alive in a West gone horribly wrong:

* Brand new single player adventure, Challenges and quests
* 8 New Multiplayer Zombie characters
* Additional animals unleashed in the world
* New Dynamic events
* More details to follow...
* Release date TBC

More details on these upcoming packs and other updates will be revealed closer to each release. For more news and information over the coming months, stay tuned here on our Facebook Page, at the Rockstar Newswire, the official Red Dead Redemption website or Twitter.

Undead Nightmare Pack?! :psyduck:

EDIT: VVV Sorry BrokenKnees. I guess I'll always be quicker on the draw. :clint:

That Awful Nick fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 8, 2010

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Remmiz posted:

Why couldn't this be coming out right away??

Because now you'll be willing to pay $10 for it! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

This should be free. Its description reads like little more than a patch.

Scuttlebutt says there's the possibility that it will, in fact, be free but will not get released until somewhere like September or October. Take the good with the bad, I guess.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

gently caress the haters, Undead Nightmare is going to own.

It's going to be better than the new XCom game, that's for sure.

Personally I'm just looking forward to any new single player content with which to take my Marston into action in.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

HAL9100 posted:

The following bad jokes/comic relief scenes will undoubtedly be featured in 'Undead Nightmare'

- Seth will try to 'get close' with a dead body that will reanimate and eat his face. I get bonus points if this is the opening scene/mission.
- The Flowers for a Lady woman will eat her husband and cook him into a fine pie. gently caress you its a tiny stupid side mission I ain't spoilering it no more y'hear?
- Jenny from the desert and the California guy will fall madly, crazily, insanely in love, their stranger mission will likely be off the wall and loopier than poo poo.
- The Deadalus and Son guy will occasionally be seen circling the skies at night.
- Landon Ricketts (dead or alive) will be showing you how to make and subsequently purchase a weapon/ammunition that is more effective against zombies.
- Multi Generational Marston Warfare. Sup Grampa?
- More zombie racism, zombie sexism, and zombie homophobia than you can shake a stick at!
- Nigel West Dickens will cure the zombie plague; legitimately proving he is actually a man of science and deserving of some credit. He will then be mauled by either a zombie cougar or a zombie bear. Or maybe a half man, half cougar pig.

You're not even going to mention the obligatory return of Irish?

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

You bet your tin star it's worth it. This game is fantastic, as long as you like the Old West and fun.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Just finally got the Legend of the West outfit. Turns out trying to do the final sharpshooter mission with the Evans Repeater was a pretty lovely idea. Switched to the Mauser and it was a breeze. If anyone's having trouble doing that one, I strongly advise using the Mauser. It was almost laughably easier once I made the swap.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

The "Strike it Rich!" Challenge still hasn't been unlocked, right? According to their site it's "coming in late May" but I still haven't been able to start it in-game.

Also, will some of the Social Challenges eventually expire and you won't be able to complete them anymore? Because if so I am definitely making those the first thing I do the next time I play.

Beastmaster looks like the kind of Cheat that is going to be awesome for griefing the NPCs. The "hey mister, come sit a spell" campsite random encounter is going to be a hell of a lot of fun when I run off and grab a couple of my cougar "friends" and come back to tell juicy stories to my new cowboy acquaintances. Gee. I sure hope my friends can get along...

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

shadok posted:

Almost any rifle will do the job as long as you get him right between his beady evil little eyes.

Yeah, but giving Winnie the Pooh a migraine with a Dead-Eye Buffalo Rifle shot to the mid-brow is the most :clint: thing to do.

Though I have, for epic metal hilarity, managed to throwing knife kill a bear with a blade to the eyeball before. I didn't stop laughing in time to notice the other two bears which didn't find it funny at all.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

shadok posted:

I like your avatar. I've been trying to change mine to this for months but SA has stopped accepting my credit card for some reason...

Thanks! You're going to get it with "Vulcans never bluff. :colbert:" underneath it, I hope, right?

Finally got Unnatural Selection for killing one of every species of animal or whatever it was for. Despite the description, it sure seems like it leaves out a lot of animals. I found that a fair majority of the animals I had slaughtered in game didn't even count toward the achievement. Though I also learned, in the process, that I have killed more than 400 deer and have played for over 200 hours despite only being about 76% of the way through the game. I guess I sure do love my cowboy game...

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Kali11324 posted:

I'm at 99.5% right now. Do you need to do the, all hideouts in 24hrs thing to reach 100%?

Yeah. Doing all the American hideouts in 24 hours unlocks the Marshall outfit, and outfits count toward 100%. Besides, the outfit is pretty sweet from the screens that I've seen.

vvv Yes.

That Awful Nick fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 15, 2010

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Amused Frog posted:

Forget cougars. Bears are the real menace in this game.

My new hobby lately has been going into cougar-infested areas and waiting for them to attack me and, while they're mid-air during their attack/lunge, I Dead-Eye spam them with the auto-shotgun. They absolutely soar across the map afterwards. Some have carried at least 50-75 yards.

Bears? They eat my shotgun shells like they're the appetizer for the man-dinner they're about to turn me into. And if I do happen to get lucky and kill them? Another loving bear slams into me from the side, stunlocks me, and then murders me. Clever girl...

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Scarf posted:

Red Dead Redemption: Did I really just spend 3 hours picking flowers?

Red Dead Redemption - "Just one more flowe- OH gently caress BEARS EVERYWHERE!"

or: Red Dead Redemption - Smart Cowboys Save Often

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Well, it took me forever, but I finally got "Redeemed." It's glitched all to hell and gone as far as Social Club is concerned. The site showed me as needing Plata Grande to get my last .1% toward 100, but in the end I did all the others as they popped up and then it gave me Ojo del Diablo instead of Plata Grande. I was really concerned, but decided to go with it, and sure enough when I brought the bounty in I got the Achievement. Jesus was that fun. Now I've gotta get the two new outfits. I can't believe I took a break from this game.

Hey Beeb, let's posse up some time. I need to get gold on all of the Advanced Co-Op missions, as well as the achievement for finishing a mission with just 2 people.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

For the mostpart, new weapons are acquired for completing the gang hideouts in each territory. For example, completing Twin Rocks in New Austin gives you the Volcanic Pistol.

If you run through all of the gang hideouts in a territory fairly early on, you'll get all but the Unique weapons in the game fairly easily.

e: derp derp, Twin Rocks is in New Austin, not West Elizabeth, derp derp

That Awful Nick fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 1, 2010

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Kaji posted:

Just finished the bigfoot quest on Undead Nightmare, feel like a huge jerk. :smith:

It's okay because no one really likes bigfoots(feet?) anyway.

Just picked this game up again after playing it to death for like the first month it was out. It's still my absolute favorite game of all time. My housemate just bought it so we sit next to each other on the couch and just play the poo poo out of the multiplayer. I love playing cowboys so much!

The 3x XP thing yesterday was nice but it should probably have lasted a little longer. I got home from the office in time to play Warthington Range for like 45 minutes and level up a little, but not nearly as much as I would have liked to.

vvv Removed it, but spoiler tags are only allowed to be used for spoilers now anyway, so what did you expect?

That Awful Nick fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 3, 2011

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

FYI guys all of the DLC content from the preorder bonuses will finally be made available this April. You'll finally be able to spend your Moon Dollars (TM) on the Assassin Outfit, Golden Guns, and the War Horse!

The info was posted on Rockstar's Facebook page this morning.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Dude was just a cocksucker.

Don't forget it got him a medal!

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

fennesz posted:

I'll occasionally grab a few folks I play Call of Duty with, but it's a rarity at best.

Send me a message, cutie. All I play anymore is Reach, RDR, Forza, and Borderlands. I got a whole lot of leveling to do in this game and I need someone to do it with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

fennesz posted:

:downsrim:

I guess I'm the odd man out in that I enjoy pokin' around searching for herbs or the pelts I need.

All I do in this game anymore is hunt. Put on my X41's, turn up the volume, and wander around the woods looking for deer and other animals to shoot. It's just so relaxing. Even in multiplayer free roam, it's fun to just wander around with my roommate and try to find good places to hunt.

Video games are for relaxing, my friends.

• Locked thread