Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I keep trying to read this thread to satiate my desire for RDR (broken 360) but there are so many drat spoiler tags

:negative:

I just want to ride ponies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fudgement Day posted:

gently caress me, seriously? I'm finished the game to 100% and NOW I learn this? I was complaining about the lack of that functionality the whole time. :argh:

Part of me is glad I was unable to play this game for so long. I'm sure knowing this will save me a lot of frustration.

The other half of me?

:negative:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

golem_ii posted:

I just sold 70 wolf pelts and hearts to the merchant in Chuparosa (all collected entirely while defending myself against them). John Marston is single-handedly responsible for the extinction of the grey wolf in the Americas.

I picked up something like 42 pelts in one go up in Silent Stead. I ran across a few packs of wolves harassing people passing on the road and whenever I'd get done skinning the pack I just put down another six or seven more would show up. I eventually fled the scene when I got fed up with taking the time to skin everything.

Mr E posted:

So I just got the game today. I think that I may spend the next week just hunting, this is more fun than I thought it'd be.

I spent the first few hours hunting as well. I feel bad shooting Hawks and Foxes, but they make daddy a pretty penny!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sankis posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble but it just sounds like it's just the despawned NPCs for the hideout making sound somehow, and not like it's intentionally haunted.

Immersion ruined. :eng99:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So is the poncho still bugged or did the new patch fix it?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The birds are going to be the ones that really mess you up since they're in the sky and not easily identifiable. I got Sharpshooter Rank 5 five seconds after Rank 4 because I went into dead eye to get a few more birds for the feathers and it qualified.

It took me forever to complete the challenge, 4 I think, where you shoot birds on a train. I got Sharpshooter challenge 5 done something like 5 seconds later and challenge 6 done 20 seconds later by shooting two dudes hats off as they sat on the train.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

If you shoot into a tree you'll scare out a bunch of birds. That's how I did the train -> bird challenge.

If I throw a stick of dynamite into a house I'll scare a bunch of home steaders. :v:

Speaking of which, can you "burn down" any house in this game? Mexico Gang Hideout spoiler Outside of the handful in Nosalida that is.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

As long as a Dystentary is a constant and hilarious threat, it will never be boring to watch as your party scrambles off the wagon to go poo poo their guts out in the grass every 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, and violent natives who threaten to scalp you at any moment.

Speaking of scalping, why the gently caress isn't it in this game? I would love to scalp dead bounties as proof of retrieving them. And it was loving awesome in Gun.

I think that'd detract from the whole Redemption aspect of this game.

*Scalps some poor Bandito* "I just want to go home to my family!"

Granted, Marston does a lot of other brutal poo poo, but it's just an example.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Same. I've only had 2: Once at a duel the screen dipped to black, but then stayed there, requiring a reboot, and after the final Mexico mission John and Reyes just stood there for ages before the cutscene cut in.

Aside from the miscellaneous physics stuff (which is hilarious) there have only been two instances that have really bothered me. Once was in Escalera during the "An Appointed Time" mission. I'd shoot the locks off all of the cells and nothing would happen. It took me 4 mission replays and countless retries from the checkpoint to get it right. The second I believe has to do with the Poncho outfit. It seems like 50% of the time I'd skin an animal, loot a corpse or pick an herb the animation wouldn't execute and I'd be left staring at a motionless Marston unable to do anything else but reboot. Although I figured out that if you crouch before picking/skinning/looting the animation is different and I've never had that fail. The Poncho is worth all of the effort.

Speaking of "An Appointed Time," I got the achievement for 20 story missions with the same horse right after the mission completed. Mexico, front to back with the same horse I broke myself mother fuckers :clint:

Oh yeah, and I just got to Blackwater for the first time. I rode around for 10 minutes looking for a hitching post. It was raining, I didn't want my pony getting rained on all by herself so I rode out of town and made camp. :( All these goddamn newfangled contraptions and poo poo, can't I just hitch my horse somewheres?

fennesz fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 14, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

oh, and gently caress Cougars in online multiplayer too. I got loving swarmed by them, five or six came out of nowhere like a pack of feline fury and vengeance.

I grow tired of the dumb pubbies though. I need to kill with goons. PSN ID: DrSmasher

After skinning a few bears (and a few dead horses :qq:) in Tall Trees I thought to myself "bears aren't so bad, I don't know why everyone was so afraid of them" three bears barrel over the hill 15 feet to my right and bowl me over a boulder killing me instantly. Thankfully with the Mauser and a good trigger finger they don't pose too much of a threat if you have some notice.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ice Blue posted:

What is this dynamite missile business people keep mentioning?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8CadzHi7ic

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zvezda posted:

My game (360) keeps glitching :( it's happened when I looted a body, when I took a feather, skinned an animal, died, completed a mission. The camera will be stuck in the cutscene position and John will just idle. No buttons work, except for Start, and the rest of the game world keeps on running around him. It's fine again if I just load the game, but drat, it's annoying.

I'm loving it otherwise. :3: I wish more missions were mule friendly though. I didn't abandon the mission, the lil' guy just couldn't keep up!

Are you wearing the Poncho? I've only had things like that happen while I was wearing that outfit. Either way though, crouch before you skin/loot/pick. It gives you a slightly different animation and I've never had that fail.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, it's an object you get when you reach the highest amount of Honor. Well, you're SUPPOSED to get it at that point, but I didn't.

I got it at while my honor was 3/4 full like 15% into the game. I think it must just be increasingly more common the more honor you have. Just be aware of your surroundings I guess.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 14, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Now I remember what I came here to post.

Did anyone find the late Treasure Hunter missions extremely disappointing? The ones in New Austin were fantastic and for the most part made you search specifically for landmarks seen on the map. Mexico was pretty good as well, the last two just happened to be near incredibly obvious landmarks - you could solve them using your map which was a little disappointing but I can deal.

However the last two treasure locations in West Elizabeth are really disappointing. (Late Treasure Hunter spoilers) I mean they put the first one next to the most recognizable tree in the area which everyone ends up riding past within the first 5 minutes of getting there? The guy in the gunstore even loving says there's treasure up at Broken Tree. I haven't even bothered going to get the last treasure yet because I could tell you exactly where it is 5 seconds after getting the map.

Don't get me wrong I still love the challenges, I just wish they would have made them a lot more difficult so you couldn't complete them all within the first 10 minutes of opening up an area. Although then I guess the kids with ADHD that play this would complain that "IT'S TOO HARD" right before they declare that the game is bad. I guess I can hope we get some sort of treasure map content bundled with some other DLC :unsmith:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hell yeah, just knifed a bear without using any bullshit tactics like shooting it in the legs first.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

forbiddendelirium posted:

If only there were a monument to all the horses we've loved and lost along the way.

To spare myself the heartache of losing my beloved Kentucky Saddler - which I used for the overwhelming majority of the game - I broke a different horse and hitched it just so I wouldn't have to watch a bear or cougar maul her to death. :911:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Carbohydrates posted:

Same. It takes a lot of stabbing (I think 8 solid hits) and it's really annoying when they start running away, but you feel like a loving badass.

Also, I had one of those "person being attacked by wild animals" events occur, except instead of wolves or coyotes, it was TWO cougars. They just absolutely wrecked that guy before I could even get my gun out to aim at the first one. His corpse went cartwheeling through the air past me.

To be honest I was expecting it to take more stabs than it did, although I didn't get much time to revel in my accomplishment. A cougar tried to sneak up on me only to be met with 4 double-action revolver rounds to the head. Those things still scare the hell out of me though.

Yeah those events pretty much consist of hoping you're within view of them immediately when you realize whats going on or the victim is a deadman.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

El Seano posted:

Just played a game of horseshoes at Las Hermanas...he hit 4 ringers in a row. What the gently caress. It was a $10 bet too so it's not like the difficulty was ramped sky high or nothing.

I also just completed Eva In Peril...:(

Honestly with all of the fantastically badass poo poo going on in this game, for some reason the conclusion to Eva in Peril is probably my favorite thing in this game so far.

I mean, come on a duel at sunset over the grave of a girl who just wanted more out of life than to be a prostitute in the middle of the Mexican desert. I shot that bastard in the head so many times.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Eva in Peril spoilers. I thought he was in the process of burying her, and Marston interrupted him.

Yeah this is what I thought too.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

All that being said, you know what? It's post endgame anyways, so why the hell am I holding back? gently caress it, it's murderin' time. I think I've earned it.

Yeah I just did the same thing. Earned my $5000 bounty riding into Armadillo, murdering any living creature within sight, looting the bank and the saloon and hightailing it out of there only to harass random civilians on the roads. After no one was left to oppose me of course.
I harassed these two dudes riding next to one another. Blew one of their heads off so the other would go and get a posse to start chasing me. Instead something like 12 US Marshals instantly spawn lining the ridge no more than 75 feet away from me and start tearing me to shreds. Luckily I lifted the Armadillo stagecoach and used that for cover.

Speaking of stagecoaches and wagons, why did I never realize off-roading wagons was the most gratifying over the top thing in this game? I just discovered that you can knock cacti over if you hit them hard enough with a wagon. This game.

Mastiff posted:

I really, really HATE the multiplayer experience in this game -- and I think it's because I enjoyed the singleplayer so MUCH. I really wish we could get beyond horrible grindy games where you kill other players for points, because that wasn't what RDR was ABOUT. I wanted to share RDR with other humans but that's just not possible. Maybe it's just a solitary experience, and maybe that's why I liked it so much.

Yeah singleplayer and multiplayer are two wholly different beasts. I don't know what scheme you play singleplayer with but I highly suggest the Hardcore Free Roam for just dicking around and Hardcore Gang Shootout if you want something more focused. But then again I may be biased because I'm a pretty good shot so I frequently decimate the competition.

Double-Action Revolver > *

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

der juicen posted:

Fixed it for you.

Fires too slow fer my tastes. Maybe you forgot about my trigger finger pardner? :smug:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Gazmachine posted:

Bunch of poo poo. Also, the team balancing needs to be fixed so badly. I had a great hardcore team deathmatch round where it was 8 on 8. Couple of people left at the end and the next game was something like 9 against 5. Couple left and then it was something like 8 against 3.

This is loving stupid and needs to be fixed.

Yeah I played a Hardcore Gang Shootout earlier today that was a 1v2 and I was by myself. I got absolutely demolished in the opening duel (not easy to survive with 2 dudes aiming at your head) and didn't die the rest of the game. poo poo's easy when you don't have to rely on teammates.

Before I forget, does anyone know what exactly sets off an enemy to appear on your radar? From what I can gather it's

1. Sprinting
2. Shooting
3. Jumping (Maybe?)

Although I'm pretty sure if you crouch and shoot you don't appear on enemy radar. Again, I could be wrong though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Solly posted:

I just discovered that if you murder every single living creature in a town it becomes a ghost town and no one lives there ever again. I now have a new mission to eradicate every single town on the map.

Really? Is this possible with Blackwater? I can't loving stand them city folk.

Oh yeah my gamertag is exactly the same as my SA name - fennesz . My friends list is full because I play Call of Duty with 97/100 of my goony friends, but send me a message if you play Hardcore (expert aim only) game modes frequently and I'll make a spot for you.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 17, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Once I read about the shove button I wound up spending about ten minutes last night shoving people. Down stairs, down riverbanks, off the train station water tower.

Then I was in Chaluparosa or whatever that small Mexican town is and there was a whore sitting on a hearth. I pushed her and she just kind of splayed backward... into the fire.

I felt a bit bad over that one.

I love it when people are sitting on the railings around dockyards. One shove and they either fall over and break their neck or they go into some water and drown.

It was an accident officer, I swears it!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

How often do people gently caress around in Free Roam here? I've played the Single Player to bits, but haven't had too much fun online.

also: how do you sign up for the social club? Clicking "Sign Up" on the site just dumps me at a page with a xenon sign.

I would suggest that you mess around in Gang Shootouts or other various game modes to get used to

1. How people play. They're vindictive assholes.
2. Used to the aiming schemes. You should either be using Casual or nothing. Unless you're playing Hardcore that is.

Then I'd jump into Free Roam. I can't even count the number of times I've had a teammate kill me because I "stole" his kill or took "his" gun, etc. As soon as you realize everyone will probably try to kill you on sight, you'll do fine in Free Roam. Unfortunately I like to take my time with things so Free Roam isn't something I play alone.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Sandwolf posted:

Any big groups of goons ever get on and posse up and then run trains on everyone?

I missed out on the release rush of goons (that I know anyway) griefing people in RDR Free Roam, so I wouldn't really know.

I'm sure you could spam the metatags and get a pretty decent group going though.

e: Legend of the West outfit is lame as gently caress.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hal Gill username posted:

In a lot (all?) of the cutscenes John is wearing the two starter guns, presumably so they didn't have to create various versions of the scenes with all the potential weaponry. I'm not sure why that means you come out of the cutscene with those weapons equipped though.

The only time I had poo poo change around on me was when I was chasing down a certain boyo named ___Dutch____. For whatever reason it kept switching me back to my Bolt Action Rifle. No, I want my Henry Repeater goddamnit!

P.S. In regards to horses, I'm pretty sure the American Standardbred is the fastest, the Hungarian Halfbred is a little tougher, and the Kentucky Saddler is a good balance between the two. Because after playing the overwhelming majority of the game with the same Kentucky Saddler I definitely notice a speed difference with the American Standardbred.

America is #1 after all.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Fuzz posted:

But... Kentucky is in America?

Also the Saddler handles fast turns way better than either of the other two top tier horses... it's been said by a few people in the thread, including myself. Repeatedly.

I skimmed most parts of the thread, repeatedly, because I haven't been even remotely close to the end until now. I didn't want my little self spoiled.

I don't consider Kentucky to be in America. :smug:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Then it makes the inevitable sequel that much more satisfying. The whole pre-World War I atmosphere is brilliant and full of promise on its own. If it's one thing Rockstar does well, it's zeitgeist.

Yeah I just want more. This is essentially the game I always dreamed of playing as a kid (well I wanted to actually live it, but who didn't?) and I just wish it didn't end.

P.S. Mexico was the best part of the game. Landon Ricketts is a true fuckin' bro.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Wow....

Kinda :tinfoil:

Just got hosed up by the Berenstain family in Tall Trees, and I give up, close down the xbox, and hop online. First story I see on CNN is "Grizzly bear on loose after mauling"

HOW DID THEY KNOW?!?!?!?

Any tips on the best gun to one shot bears with? Buffalo Rifle tends to just make em ornery.

Double Action Revolver, Mauser, High Powered Pistol. Make sure you hit them in the head though or you'll have to put one or two more in them to keep them down. The Henry Rifle, Bolt Action Rifle, Evans Repeater and Semi-Auto Shotgun are all great choices as well.

Oh yeah, depending on how quickly you're able to fire weapons you can fire the Mauser faster than just holding down the trigger (yeah it's full-auto) if you treat it like just another semi-auto. Just one of those touches I thought was really nice.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 19, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

Okay... no, I guess I don't. Seth was terrible, and Nigel West Dickens got on my nerves super fast, but Irish was such a ridiculous coward and drunk buffoon that was pretty entertaining. I guess I'm really just bitter there weren't more missions with Marshall.

Same here. It's weird how much I despised the whole friends calling you thing in GTAIV but I would love nothing more than to shoot some outlaws and knock back some whiskey with the ol' Sheriff of Armadillo.

bobzmuda posted:

I think Bonnie was supposed to be annoying like Renee Zellwegger

You're mad. I got more of a "Girl Next Door" vibe from her, which is why she looks so much like Kendra :downsrim:

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 20, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

I wanted to shoot him so bad but yeah, I loved his character. Or loved to hate, rather.

Same here.

I do cocaine for science!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ydaetskcoR posted:

There's been a number of scientists/mathematicians who have taken drugs to keep themselves stimulated and being able to continue their work.

I know it's just the fact he was obviously an addict is what I found so funny.

I wanted to leave him for dead after Nastas got shot and when Dutch came a knockin'. gently caress that guy.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

ArchRanger posted:

Nastas was my favorite character in the game outside of John. I got Jon's death spoiled for me, and I was assuming that since you had never seen your family to that point, Nastas would be who you continued on as. Or, I was hoping that, at least.

Clearly if I had the achievement, I wouldn't be bitching. According to the Social Club, all I have left to collect is the US Army Uniform, which I already have.

I just did too. I haven't finished the game.

:(

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

leidend posted:

Also got the one-shot bear kills without the buffalo rifle (semi-auto shotgun). Just wait until their face is nearly on the business end and fire. Takes balls of steel to wait that long but they won't swipe until it's too late.

Speaking of balls of steel, it's great fun to play "chicken" with trains as they pull into a station. Guess where the train is going to stop and get as close as you can to the train without moving at all.

I do this whenever I see a train pull into a station. I haven't killed any horses doing it yet and my personal best is something like 3 feet. :smug:

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not really. The only thing you might want to hold into it for would be when you get paid more for selling stuff (if you're playing as a Hero).

You get more money for animals that are not from around that area. Like, if you sell boars in Mexico where there are none, they're worth more money.

Beaver Hides are my bread and butter. Made $3,000 in one go unloading Beaver Meat/Skin, Bear Meat/Fur and Fox Meat/Fur. Too bad there's nothing to spend it on. :(

fennesz fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 21, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I played The Escape, The Herd and The River not an hour ago without any issues what so ever. We completed all of them without any problems, but for whatever reason I decided to end The Escape by shooting all of the mission critical stagecoach horses in the head :allears:

And I didn't have any glitches with the hideouts either, after we were done with the co-op missions I got dropped into an empty Free Roam and attempted (:() to do Pike's Basin by myself.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

The co-op maps are pretty drat fun, I must say.

Yeah I like the fact they let you dick around a little bit too (it's not timed, friendly fire is on). I've played The Escape with 4 different groups of goons and whenever we get our grubby little mitts on cannons we can't help but take down other goons and their ponies. If you haven't tried it, try hitting someone with your horse galloping at full-speed while it's mid jump.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while - where the gently caress are pigs in this game? Whenever I ride through Blackwater, Thieves' Landing, MacFarlane's or Armadillo I always check the pens for pigs and I've never seen a single hog. Any tips/specific locations anyone can give me? I checked the wiki and it was incredibly vague, it's all I need for the achievement.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Smelly posted:

I've always found several of them in the pen right next to where your horse gets hitched after you sleep in Thieves' landing.

Alright, I'll try that.

e: I do. I should have been more specific.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Discomedusae posted:

I don't think domesticated animals count for the achievement.

edit: like the pigs and dogs and chickens. You only have to kill one of every wild animal.

I've killed every other animal in the game. gently caress, now I have to go through my list and rekill everything individually.

e: I guess it's fine, it's like Master Hunter 11!
Hunter Challenge spoilers Wait, I was just looking through my list of animals killed and Jaguar wasn't listed. Does it appear on the list of animals you've killed? Because I don't want to be hosed out of the achievement because it didn't count me killing Khan.-

fennesz fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 24, 2010

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cowman posted:

Have you killed any seagulls? How about a songbird? I know those two were incredibly hard to find for me.

Edit: Seagulls only spawn at the docks in Blackwater, I believe, which is why I never even knew they were in the game.

Yup, I've got Seagulls (3), Mules (1, it might be my culprit), Ducks (5), Songbirds (11), Goats (4) and Bighorn (6).

e: Haha, I think I might just need to kill a single Wild Horse. Poor little pony :(

fennesz fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Slantedfloors posted:

Khan is just a unique cougar - He doesn't count for the achievement.

Alright great. Wild Horse it is then :)

Thanks for the assistance goons, I'll buy you all a round of whiskey next time we're in Escalera. :clint:

• Locked thread