Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jvempire
May 10, 2009
Welp I guess I had a long run. When I finally killed Bill, Allende ran away and didn't get killed so the game froze, but I still could move around so I dynamited myself and redid the scene, almost freezing again. I finish it and right before I go and save some guy is an eye witness for something and gets the police after me. Because I wanted to make it quick, I gave myself over and now my game is in endless loading.

Let me go Mexico!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Oh god Eva in Peril :smith:
I tried lassoing the guy but it didn't let me.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I've got glitches too.

When I got to Black Water my horse's galloping animation stopped and just started floating in the air while glitching forward. It fixed its self after a few seconds but it was pretty weird.

Also once when I was going for cover there was a dead body next to it which for some reason propelled me into the air, having me fall down and dying.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

404notfound posted:

I used some chewing tobacco and a floating chair materialized in front of my face.
I arm-wrestled a guy that had a chair in his torso.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
My friend got the (endgame)duplicate Jack during the bear mission too, but that may have been because he had a knife fight with the bear that made it run away from the area.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Muscles go to Black Water and take the stranger mission there.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Palleon posted:

Well I found a new fun game to play in multiplayer: try to drive a stagecoach over the rail bridge between the US and Mexico.
I tried doing once... I fell off.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

OrangeGuy posted:

endgame moral of story??
This guy pretty much summed it up.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

End of the game observation, so if you haven't, don't scan over it.

The beauty of the last revenge mission is how Edgar Ross becomes John Marston but in a slightly different setting. If John cannot escape his past as an outlaw, then Edgar certainly can't escape his profession at all: his wife goes on about how the Bureau refuses to let him go (playing into his 'working man' nature of spreading 'civilization' to the West) and it finally hit me that the Ross mission changes the whole 'can't escape your past' theme with 'can't escape your situation/profession' theme. It flies in the face of America being a land of opportunity and turns everybody into an indentured servant who's held in place by some twisted sense of honor. And just as everybody gets what they want--Marston's bucolic family life, Ross finally gets a vacation--they are cut down because they have no more use. The idea of emotional fulfillment--Marston's family life, Ross's job--become another leash to be jerked around by. The tragedy of America, according to this game, is that your dreams are used against you. Even Ross, the pinnacle of lawlessness, cannot escape this. He tries to use civilization and savagery as a convenient Other, but it's just the same power dynamic that he used on Marston that eventually has him stupidly trying to outdraw a very young and bitter man on the riverbank: except this time, he dies like a dog.

I guess I'm just impressed by the thought that went into the story's themes. Finally all those scenes of lengthy discussion finally add up to something. And I thought the final story mission was quite powerful in this regard. The Nature or Nurture element is essentially a fiction and relies on the idea of civilization as a good and positive force. If anything, the nature of mankind as a violent creature is what is real. Dutch, to a point, was correct: it's a paradox. But in this regard, there might be a way around it, but it's not going to come from creating an Other to externalize the conflict. Ross's mission to 'civilize' is just going to make the barbaric nature of mankind more palatable and ultimately nilhilistic. Take note of the silence, awe, and horror of Ross's manmade tank just four short years before World War I destroys the idea of honorable war and replaces it with one of the greatest themes of the 20th Century: easy mass murder on a scale that eventually forces a greater sense of peace. Marston's world allows for a lot of death, but Ross's 'better' world allows for jingoistic mass murder on a much, much greater scale and with less regret and more detachment. In this case, which is really the 'better' world: the one where you kill on a somewhat personal level to the tune of hundreds, or the one where you kill on an impersonal level to the tune of hundreds of thousands? Neither is palatable, but the latter is so dangerous because the lesson and guilt of death is never learned.

Pretty deep for a Rockstar game.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I have found what RDR is missing... Horses equipped with duel gatling guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AS9DjwR-o

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Feenix posted:

Yes. But Im not sure what it was supposed to fix...
http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/6061/red_dead_redemption_title_update_coming_next_week.article

Rockstar in Comments posted:

Guys – good news on the patch. It’s in the midst of being deployed for both PS3 and 360. PlayStation 3 users should start to see it appear now – and Xbox 360 users should expect to see it sometime overnight tonight (could be late).

We will post an official announcement soon as it’s confirmed to be up for both systems.

Thanks!
Don't know why They aren't doing systematically, maybe PS3 players are guinea pigs to them?! (Joking of course!)

jvempire
May 10, 2009

liquidypoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWikijxlqgA

Basically you have to exit cover, then go back in while aiming whatever gun you have equipped. You have to time it well, too, which is why this guy fucks up a few times in the video. As far as I know, it was only possible at the MacFarlane ranch, where he's doing it.
It happened to me randomly during a mexico mission before the patch.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Quick question...

Keeping this as spoiler free as possible in both asking and hopefully when you guys answer...

In one of the promo pics for the game, John is hauling rear end away from a bear or facing it down with a knife, and in the shot he has one of those old leatherhead football helmets on when he is doing it.

Does that open up later in the single player game, or is it a multiplayer only thing?

I kinda wanna look like a mental patient when I have to fight giant wildlife v:shobon:v
I have played through the whole singleplayer game and, :wtc: John Marston wearing a football helmet?

jvempire
May 10, 2009
When I challenged someone to flower picking, some wolves were actually in the area. I had to run back to his camp with a pack of wolves right behind me. He wasn't that much of a sore loser so we murdered all of the wolves, and he got like two rattlesnakes. So the moral of the story is, if you've skipped the flower collecting events because you think it's too "sissy" you aren't a real cowboy. :colbert:

jvempire
May 10, 2009
It's best not to play the deathmatches, because they are very glitched. For example, my friend playing the Xbox 360 version was invisible to the enemy, so he could shoot them without any trouble. We later found out this is a popular glitch that randomly happens to players, making DM pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

How is this lasting people 40 hours? I just killed Dutch and did 10 of the Stranger missions (the others haven't popped up yet) and I'm not even 15 hours in. Though, I am ignoring the challenges because those are more hassle than they're worth. I mean, it's a great game and all but I can't imagine how people are stretching it out that long.
Messing around on freeroam multiplayer.

• Locked thread