Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Is there a way to get rid of the auto-paint targeting from Dead Eye level 2? Because it's really irritating, I like just slowing time and shooting at my own leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

ProfessorGroove posted:

Also, I've been listening to a lot of Ennio Morricone while playing the multiplayer, anyone have any recommendations for other western style music like his?

Why, the first game's soundtrack, of course!

http://www.myspace.com/ostofreddead

e: Because of this game I went out and got a couple packs of dice. I've played Liar's Dice with about 8 different people over the past week and it's awesome in real life, especially when you have at least five people at the table. It's so easy to play that everyone figured it out right away and we had some pretty tense matches going. Playing it in the game doesn't compare at all.

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 19, 2010

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

quote:

I'm still on the first area of the game, why am I being shot at in Thieves' Landing? People just opened fire on me, I don't think there's a bounty on my head but is there any way to check?

The guys at Thieves Landing are just dicks. There's no law enforcement and they're mostly gang members, and they don't like you.

quote:

So, I only need to do all the gang hideouts in 24 hours to get my 100%. What's the best way to do this? fast travel, or riding? Is there a particular order that is better than others?

e: Riding is better than fast travel. Start from Fort Mercer, go to Pike Basin, then Twin Rocks, Tumbleweed, and finish at Gaptooth Breech. You can start in the morning and finish before sundown.

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 20, 2010

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Unfortunately I absolutely cannot wrap my head around Liar's Dice. It makes no sense to me. I've read the posts trying to explain it and it didn't help. I can't even figure out why we each have dice. They seem to play no role in what's happening.

It's about lying. You're betting how many of a certain die face are on the table at any given time. Faces are obviously 1-6, and depending on the amount of people you're playing with you can have between 12 or more dice on the table at once (assuming it's 6 dice per player).

So you lie. You say, "I got 3 fours". Maybe you DO have 3 fours, maybe you only have 1 four or 5 fours or NO fours, it doesn't matter. You're betting that there are at least 3 fours on the table. Next person is either going to call your bluff (which would be stupid since 3 fours is very probable) or make a higher bid. Next player always has to make a bid at least one higher. They might say 4 fours or 5 sixes or 7 threes, whatever. When they make a bid that sounds like total bullshit, you call them on it. If they're wrong, they lose a die. If they're right, you lose a die.

If you think their bid is exactly right, you say "Spot On", and if it's exactly right they lose a die, or if it isn't, you lose a die. As everyone loses dice, higher bids become more and more risky because there can only be so many on the table. It also becomes easier to call a spot on.

Of course this is all better in real life when you can gently caress with actual people. In the game it's just a bunch of computer players who never lie/always call bluffs, so I can't really help you. Just bid one more or less than what you have under your cup, that usually works (say you have 3 threes, bid 2 threes or 4 threes, so they don't know what you actually have).

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I don't have this game on me at the moment, but does it support system link? I'm hoping to get my own TV and Xbox in a few months and I wanna play some free roam with my roommate. That'd work, right?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Just started playing this game, and one of the first things I did was to shove some smarmy dude in a top hat off of a cliff for talking in riddles. Hopefully murdering a Stranger doesn't permanently lock me out of 100% completion :v:

You just murdered the best sidequest.

Don't read up on it though! I did and I got ending spoilered to hell and back.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Tewratomeh posted:

To anyone who hasn't seen it, here's the opening credits sequence from Red Dead Revolver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORxEAmWqbVE

Nothing else in the game was quite as amazing as the opening credits, but then it's a hard act to follow. They had Ennio Morricone (or something very, very Morricone-esque) music, the Wild Bunch blood-red freeze frame and even film grain (which they kept up through the whole game). Everything was deeply saturated, too.

Oh, and notice "Annie Stoakes" and her very strong resemblance to a certain character from Redemption. I know they were both loosely based on Annie Oakley, but Ms. Stoakes and Ms. MacFarlane bear more than a passing resemblance, they're almost identical. Nice little nod there to the original.

I think only one song was actually by Ennio Morricone (Main Titles from 'E Per Tetto Un Cielo Di Stelle' - it plays when you're defending Annie's ranch) The rest are tracks from other spaghetti-westerns by many different composers.

I can't post this enough: http://www.myspace.com/ostofreddead

Revolver had a lot of great set pieces though. Fighting the band of sideshow freaks as Jack Swift, riding on horseback after Diego's armored train, fighting through the ghost town and then confronting the undertaker with the gatling gun in his coffin, defending the train to Brimstone from horseback bandits, the saloon fight, etc.

I really missed these kinds of things from Redemption, since they're trying to build a believable world in this game and the most actiony thing they could really come up with is giving you a mounted gun to mow down some guys on horses now and then.

e: All these parts were made awesome by the music they set to them, too. Redemption only has a few ambient tracks and a few action tracks, and it's pretty disappointing.

e2:

Obsurveyor posted:

Once the count for the number of dice goes up, no amount of down with any sticks or d-pad will lower it for me after changing it to a higher die.

You know, I heard the rules are different in America and Mexico. In real life there's a poo poo-ton of different rule sets for the game. They might actually allow you to lower dice in America but not in Mexico. That's what my roommate said, anyway!

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 22, 2010

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Vile posted:

Here is my speed run of Twin peaks. The motions I go through are standard, you can repeat the mission everytime and the bad guys run the same patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEH4W8JONSc

Enjoy :)

David Lynch would be proud.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I'll take the ranch work over the endless "Fight waves of Mexicans" that takes up the entire second part of the game. At least it's something different.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I didn't really have anything against it, per se. It was just a whole lot more desert and a whole lot more shooting people. Every line of missions was a wild goose chase just like "Hey, Imma find that guy for you. Do me a favor first?"
"No"
"Come on"
"Okay"
[mission done]
"So, found him yet?"
"Nah"

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I played a fine line between good and evil. My John was the kind of guy who'd cure cancer, but then burn down an orphanage, forever marring the achievement with an act of needless violence.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
In the hills north of Hanging Rock, where the American Appetites quest leads, I have found a lot of cougars. You should look there. Those hills are loving deadly.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Ace Oliveira posted:

That seemed to be Marston's reaction, too. He looked like he just wanted to get the gently caress outta there.

Anyway, where do I have to search to find the Bollard Twins gang outfit? All I need to do now is find the scrap at Thieve's Landing, but I can't find the scrap in there.

It's in a chest in the warehouse towards the entrance of town. Has big doors you have to slide open. I think guys shoot at you if you go in there, though, so heads up.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

New patch is out. I've never seen that last bug but it sounds hilarious.

I have. It's absurd. Oh man, Thieve's Landing was the glitchiest place I've ever seen.

quote:

• Players now have the ability to save game with cheats turned on.
• Invincibility cheat was turned off when activating Dead Eye.

Greatest patch.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Just finished my second run though of the game. Lit Ross's wife on fire with the lamp hanging above her, slashed then stabbed his brother with a throwing knife, then shot him dead with a full clip from the 1911 he gave to John. I can't believe I've been playing this since June and blowing holes in dudes is still entertaining as all hell.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Should I ever trust people on the side of the road, asking for a ride? I keep getting horsejacked because I hope they'll have a story to tell me, or something.

The "Hey fella I need a ride I'm gonna run right up to you!" people are always horse jackers, and it's okay to just shoot them before they even finish speaking. Occasionally a woman will flag you down for a ride into town, though. That's only happened to me twice though so I figure it's a lot rarer than people trying to steal your horse.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Morter posted:

When I finish the mission, can I end up ignoring where the game is nudging me to go, and just go about with free-roaming and stuff? Or is heading to Beecher's Hope the next mission objective that I can't avoid?

Yeah, you actually have to go to Beecher's Hope and start a new mission there. You can just ignore it until whenever.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Its after "And You Will Know the Truth"

basically these these are the missions before the ranch missions, so you still have some leeway, but I can't remember if they let you change your outfit after you get to the ranch.

They don't. Once you start the "A" mission you put on the outfit and can't change clothes.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Maybe their content pack about zombie cowboys and bears and cougars isn't actually canon.

ne;fb

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Spitshine posted:

At what point do I make a backup save before the absolute endgame? Do I play up through And You Will Know the Truth and finalsave before the And the Truth Will Set You Free?

e: Disregard, I think I got it. Feel free to respond in case others might want to know v:shobon:v

After beating And The Truth Will Set You Free your next mission marker is "A". Just don't take the "A" mission and you don't begin the end game.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Yeah. Normal aim is fine for multiplayer since you don't have a slow motion button and NPC are dead accurate, but blowing holes into dudes with Expert is so goddamn satisfying.

quote:

I can't be the only one that walks into the Armadillo Saloon and intentionally starts loving with those Walton Gang hooligans that are always sitting in the corner table, am I?

Every time I walk into the saloon I stop to shoot all 3-7 of them. Nobody will mess with you/cops don't care because they're gang members, just don't threaten anyone and put your gun away real fast. So awesome just dropping them all before they can even react to pull their guns out.

No man wears a Walton hat in my town and lives.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Finally got around to buying Undead Nightmare. Oh, this game, I love it so much. :allears: I think once I'm finished with UN I'm going to play through again with cheats on.

Wasn't there a new cheat patched in that gives you fire bullets or something?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

tophet posted:

Thanks. What's expert aim? When I was done I was looking through the trophy list and saw that listed but don't know how to enable it or whatever. Also I can't believe I played this all day and have 3% of the trophies, that makes me feel bad at the game.

Go to the options menu and change your targeting. Expert is complete free-aim, Normal has auto-lock if you hold the trigger all the way, Casual is constant auto-aim.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Death you'll get automatically once you finish the game, the Chupacabra won't spawn until you've gotten all of the other things like it (getting all 4 horses, all the treasure hunter stuff, all the sharpshooter and hunter stuff).

You actually only need to do the Undead Hunter challenges and I think the Horses challenges. I never bothered with the treasure hunting or sharpshooting and still ganked the Chupacapbra and found the Unicorn.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Fire posted:

I'm not complaining or anything. I think he's funny.

One thing I have noticed though is this game takes a turn for the :smith: in general once you reach Mexico. The first part of the game feels like an old western where the bad guys are evil and the good guys are knights, then you get to mexico and the best you can root for is a shallow, womanizing rear end in a top hat who will almost certainly become the dictator he is fighting against. And it just goes downhill from there.

Again, not complaining, just observing

Yeah, someone once said in this thread that the New Austin segment is tonally like classic american westerns, Mexico is like spaghetti westerns, and West Elizabeth is like the more modern westerns.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I played Undead Nightmare again to just mess around and explore and stuff, ended up finding pestilence, tamed him, then got back on Death and accidentally fell into the water at Thieves Landing. Whistled for my horse when I respawned, pestilence showed up and then I got sick of having him and shot him in the head. Whistled again hoping Death would show up since I never hitched Pestilence, then some default horse showed up and I turned off the game in rage.

I lost my Death horse :smith:

Don't you automatically get a blood pact with Death once you tame/receive him? It should be in your consumables inventory.

I'm considering playing through this game again (it being the third time) but powering through the story missions as fast as I can, then doing all the stranger missions/sidequests post-game in the US Marshal outfit. Has anyone done that yet?

Bloodcider fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 9, 2011

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Sylink posted:

I just got this game and a couple of questions:

I'm assuming the honor thing means I can be a total dick throughout the game provided I can afford to pay off the bounties? Does the story fork?

Are there lots of just random events? I've noticed random dudes will come shoot up the towns or other stuff.

For bounty hunting, are they randomly generated or will I run out of people to hunt? Cause I love my simple repeatable missions.

Being really good unlocks the Duster outfit, and a random event can happen that gives you an item that decreases enemy accuracy. Being really bad lets you whistle for the Dark Horse, which isn't really that great, if you have no other horse set. People also look the other way and don't report your crimes at the maximum of either end. No impact on the story, just your character and the way people react.

There are indeed lots of random events. People being robbed, people robbing you, people getting hanged, people getting chased by wild animals, random campfires, shootouts between lawmen and bandits, etc.

Each bounty location has a certain number of unique names, and once they run out you get to repeat infinite generic named bandits I think.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Nathilus posted:

It's four and I already tried removing and reataching the AV cable. No good. Thing just went straight out on me in the middle of a game so I'm pretty sure the cable itself is good.

Try buying a replacement cable before you do anything rash. Also, bitch at customer support forever and ever.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

melon cat posted:

A question on the single player mode- when I beat the game, will my unlocked costumes carry over into my next play-thru?

They don't. New game starts a new file.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

CitrusFrog posted:

I can't seem to get Fightin' Around the World to trigger, no matter how many bartenders I kick unconscious behind their countertops. Same thing goes for What About Hand Grenades, I've scored dozens of ringers but it refuses to unlock. I haven't used any cheats in my savegame and other achievements have been unlocking fine.

Is there anything I can do?

Beat the poo poo out of bar patrons? Make sure you knock them out in the saloon, too.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I borrowed this from my friend and started my third playthrough yesterday. Shooting people is still just so. immensely. satisfying.

Didn't realize they'd released the Deadly Assassin outfit as DLC, either! So glad I had an extra 80 points kicking around. I just unlocked it.

I love how the weather won't change in most cutscenes. Like, the first time I picked up the I Know You quest, it was broad daylight, the Strange Man was looking out over a baking desert. This time it was dusk during a goddamn torrential thunderstorm. Just completely changed the tone of the scene.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Lawmen have shiny badges on their chest that are easy to spot if you know to look for them.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Did Remember My Family again today. It's so lazy that, they send you to the guy's cabin where he lives with his wife, and it's just the run down shithole where you look for Irish's Gatling gun the first time. There's still broken wagons/stacks of crates/miscellaneous cover hanging around. Inside is empty besides like a cot and a table. Nobody could live there. They didn't even try to change it.

Of all the little homesteads and stuff sprinkled around this massive game world, why did they just recycle that place?

Oh well. I put off all the stranger quests and rushed through the story, so now I'm going to do them all in my spiffy new US Marshall outfit. Lookout, bastards of the west, here comes the long arm of Marston. I AM THE LAW.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure the first guy you talk to says he "retired to a little cabin on Lake Don Julio".

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
This is all kinda moot, the point I'm making is the place looks like gang hideout still. :effort:

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Walking into that warehouse and a few other places will cause people to shoot at you. But even at max honor, I don't think anyone will outright just start gunning for you. Thing is most of the residents are either generic Bandits or Bollard Twin gang members, so starting trouble with one gets the rest after you.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

I was assaulted by fifteen bears the first time I entered Tall Trees. Is that par for the course?

And no, I'm not exaggerating, I counted.

Always remember that, killing one bear spawns another to seek vengeance, and they do not know fear.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
Throwing knife right in the eye socket. Only because I'm too cheap to buy the Tomahawk DLC.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

I'll go check for the guy at the courthouse. I was just confused because there wasn't any big capital letter like all the other story missions and the directions the government goons gave me was pretty vague.

No, that's not it. The gazebo dude is for the epilogue. You're supposed to be seeing a big G on your map. The mission is in the same area - one of the government buildings near the gazebo, directly across the way from the bank. But if it's not showing up on your map I dunno if the mission marker would.

You did the An Appointed Time mission in Mexico where you finally catch up to Bill, right? Because you see the Government dudes before that mission, after you catch Javier. They tell you to mop up then go to Blackwater.

But you can go to West Elizabeth so :psyduck: I don't know. Try reloading an earlier save?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

I borrowed the game from my brother last week and beat it the other night. Fantastic, fantastic game. I'm going to pick up the GOTY edition and give it another play through and 100% it.

ENDGAME TALK I was thinking of just railroading through the story as John and then doing all the challenges and Stranger missions (besides "I Know You") as Jake. Has anyone done that and can report?

I'm excited to try it with no aim assist and no mini-map, seems like that will up the immersion ante.

I did this. By the time I got to the post-game content I was pretty drained and didn't even want to bother. You can always put in the Jack Attack cheat code to just skip to it, though. I probably should have done that. It would forfeit your 100%/achievements/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
I've been popping online in this for the past few days and I keep noticing a message coming up in the corner of the screen saying Double XP has been activated in multiplayer, then immediately afterwards, Double XP has been deactivated, thanks for playing!

I feel like all the updates and DLC have bugged out this game since the last time I played it, which was last year some time. Does Rockstar even still support this game, or did the dump it to move onto LA Noire and now Max Payne 3?

• Locked thread