Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Metatag: RedDeadGoons2
Login: reddeadgoons2@gmail.com
Pass: somethingawful

Only 15 spots left. I believe there maybe space on RedXDeadxGoons or something like that. The tag fills up fast whenever its posted and I bet there will be plenty new players so someone should make a RedDeadGoons3 soon with similar login info and post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The ending couple hours of this game is simply phenomenal, and felt like Rockstar San Diego really did some game design/storytelling magic to make a memorable and seamlessly integrated videogame playing experience out of a great resolution to the story. They set an example for other videogame developers intent on making classic experiences through videogames comparable to films or books.

Great, accomplished stuff that stands heads over heals over anything GTA or most open world games attempt to reach when providing narrative consistency and thematic cohesion into the games own design.

ENDGAME SPOILERS:
Living his dream life in peace for a few days/weeks, bonding with his family, training his son, and the eventual leap in a generation I thought was some really great stuff. Yes herding cattle isn't as great as gunning down waves of Indians but I thought it accomplished its goal of putting you in Marston's life with a sense of dread over the inevitability of "justice." And the switch from John's grave to his adult son.. wow. Not even Mass Effect 2 pulled me in like that in a dramatic, compelling way.

What a great game.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Ez posted:

Well, I just finished the game and I have to say, while I didn't exactly like the ending, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Also, the revenge against Moss (I think that was his name) was very, very weak and unsatisfying. You spend 5 minutes tracking him down, do the whole "You killed my pa!" and blam, he's dead. It seemed so empty to me, I was hoping for a really nice revenge to wrap up the story.

That aside, at least the game did something totally unique and different with it's ending. Even though it's not a happy one, it's definitely original.

This is actually one of my favorite parts of the ending. The deflated emptiness of it. Edgar Ross's happy retirement, after living a decorated life. Reading the newspaper at Blackwater fills out his life after killing John, saying he received fame and honor for taking down Marston's former gang (including him) himself. Presumably Jack spent his time caring for his mother, and after laying her to rest, immediately set out for revenge. But having more epic setpieces (the ones before and after John's farmhand life were epic enough) would be defeating its purpose by glorifying revenge, instead of ruminating on justice, redemption, and loneliness.

It was an ending appropriate for a post-Unforgiven Eastwood directed movie. Though, Edgar Ross probably would've had a more explored perspective, but this is a game following the Marstons in the first person (as you) instead of a movie, novel, or awful Japanese videogame cutscene that would focus on heavy-handed cutscene exposition of the plot.

I am just so impressed with Rockstar's execution of their ending, and the thematic fulfillment of the story, while still having you play it as a game. Even things like John switching to Deadeye as he opens the door, I can't believe we had goons bitching about it earlier in the thread. You lived his last moments through the game as John, using his keen talent to kill as many heads as possible for killing your uncle and nearly killing your family. This stuff reminds me of things like the Microwave Hallway in MGS4, using gameplay elements to make the player the main character in a harrowing, interactive moment that really delivers an experience removed from films and TV. I feel like the right developers are really coming to terms with games as a storytelling medium, and critics who say games aren't art need to experience things like RDR and Mass Effect 2 to really see how far some developers have come.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 3, 2010

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

leidend posted:

I never thought I'd even like a Western game. I played "Gun" for about 20 minutes and never touched Revolver. But this one really sucked me in, and as a non-American, helped me understand the roots of the current southern US attitudes towards things like government and gun control (even though I am in British Columbia which was even more "wild west" in 1911).

Maybe you should look up a little event called "The Civil War" in American history.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Slappy Moose posted:

Oh my god, I agree so drat much. I loving love every gun, and it's so fun to just shoot around at stuff. Gunfights are so loving awesome, I love just listening to them, but it's a loving SHAME that there are so few non-main-story full-on gun battles. I love carriage robberies because they always turn into a big loving meat grinder of bandits and peasants, and the few times you come across lawmen/army guys attacking a bandit hideout/fort, it is just so awesome sounding.

Also, I was super stoked that the teammate AI in this game is GOOD. I've actually been saved many many times by my bros in RDR. I'm so used to having to loving count out the bad guys and keep track of them all so I know who I still have to kill, but in this I can just enjoy myself and let my bros shoot the gently caress out of everybody.
It feels like a real war; people are dying on both sides, and you aren't some infinitely-badass guy, you just happen to be more badass.

Yeah, its great. I'm looking forward to the 4-man co op mission packs. Rolling down a river with 3 bros to invade some sort of stronghold? Sounds like an awesome mission. The first time I played through all the gang hidehouts with a goon posse I was occasionally amazed at how bad assed the music, sound effects, and gameplay were working together. The game has tons of riding around and having small firefights, but the long, intense battles with people on each side are something else.

So hopefully the new co-op missions will give the game more condensed action with good replayability.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

paint dry posted:

Not as far as I can tell, no.

The few stranger missions I had left to do seemed to have unique cutscenes for Jack, with his own mannerisms and dialogue.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Whoa Black Betty posted:

e2: Oh god, Rockstar should have made the final Legendary Mount a fuckin automobile that three friends could join you in as passengers. How cool would that be? Seems like an appropriate and fun reward for all that grinding too, you know? Gah! Does anybody have any stats on the mounts? I'd like to know what the particulars are between the Hungarian and the American, as well as the bulls and the buffaloes.

The black horse is the fastest, the golden horse is balanced, and the white horse is slowest but has the most HP for falls and getting shot at

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It seems awfully goony that so many people are posting how they have no idea how poker works and had to flail their way through the minigames randomly. Just look up the rules, there's barely any combinations of cards.

The ranking of the hands are:

High card
Pair
Two pair
Three of a kind
Straight
Flush
Full House
Four of a kind
Straight flush
Royal flush

Having the same hand but higher cards makes you win. A typical tactic is to fold often unless you start with a high card (pref. an Ace) or a pair, or at least wait until the first 3 cards are shown to see what your hand could be. It is a very intuitive and fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Johnny Deformed posted:

OK I'm on 91% completion and I'm a little afraid of how addicted I am to this game at the moment, I only bought it on Monday!

But I tried the multiplayer and I can't say it's been that fun at all really. Are you supposed to have nothing and get completely destroyed by everyone all the time? And then it seems to re-spawn you near the guy that just killed you every time? Or is that just me?

You're supposed to get a posse of goons together and do some Gang Hideouts for quick exp and lots of fun.

• Locked thread