Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quake Williams
Feb 1, 2010

Captain Charisma posted:

Alright, this rifle animation bullshit needs to be patched immediately. When you're in cover and you shoot a guy, they loving programmed it so you stay standing up another second. That's killed me at least 5 times now. Retards.
That's because John is pulling the bolt back on the rifle to eject the spent cartridge. It was intentionally made to expose you more than the other guns in its category do. It's a tradeoff, see - The Rifles are significantly more powerful than the Repeaters, but it offers less protection when behind cover. It's got to do with this theory about making sure all your weapons are functionally around the same level of usefulness so one isn't used favorably over the others in every situation - like the weapons are all "balanced," if you will.

Quake Williams fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quake Williams
Feb 1, 2010

doctor 7 posted:

I think I should add my experience with the Stranger mission from God/Satan/Death/whoever gives a gently caress.

Anyway the whole time he's got this :smug: as gently caress demeanor like he knows everything about you and is generally kind of an all-knowing rear end that seems to feel like he's in control of everything.
"I Know You" Stranger and Possible End Game spoilers:

You know, as I keep thinking about it, I am leaning towards The Mysterious Stranger being God.

In their first encounter, he responds to John asking who he was by questioning if John remember's Hattie McCourt, a girl murdered by Dutch in the same botched job that ended up with Marston eating a bullet and almost dying, eventually turning away from the gang as a result. When John says that he doesn't recall Hattie, The Mysterious Stranger replies, "Then why would you remember me, friend? You've forgotten far more important people than me."

This line is pretty heavily implying that The Mysterious Stranger wants John to feel remorse for such things like the wrongful death of an innocent girl, a sentiment I wouldn't think that the Devil or Death would have. It seems to me, considering that he mentions that Hattie died during the same robbery that John got shot on, that The Mysterious Stranger is trying to imply that John is being selfish in his actions and not realizing the actual nature of his past. This is evidenced by how he only talks about how his gang left him to die when he discusses why he left, and how he constantly refers to their supposed Robin Hood-esque moral code for their heists, respectively. The Mysterious Stranger knows what is going to ultimately happen to John, and he knows that it's a result of his past. But he also seems to know that even though John is fighting to escape that past, he is holding himself back from achieving that desire. He is refusing to realize the depth of his sins, and thus he cannot seek penitence for them. I dunno, just a thought.

Actual Endgame spoilers:

Also, I only just realized how appropriate playing "Bury Me Not on the Lone Prairie" during the scene at John's grave is. I never really listened to the lyrics and just thought it was put there because it was an archetypal Western song that had to do with being buried. Listening to it I realized how it's about a dying man who's last request is that they don't just bury him in the desert where he passed on and forget him, but to take him home and bury him next to his father. The people with him don't honor the wish, however, and make his gravesite on the "lone prairie."

What a perfect metaphor for John's attempt to escape the Old West lifestyle before eventually being consumed by it. I love it.

• Locked thread