Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Swordfish posted:

Herbert Moon seems to bluff like a motherfucker,

Herbert Moon is a motherfucker :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Well gently caress, just had my first crash in 25 hours of playing this game, right after the Mexico mission where you're betrayed by the army and Reyes saves you. And I mean right after, the cutscene ended with Marston walking away and voila - black screen and nothing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Had a funtastic bug yesterday. I've been all through Mexico and just entered Blackwater, but I still hadn't picked up the courage to knife two cougars. Yesterday evening I decided to finally just man up and do it.

So I did. It wasn't THAT hard, after all, although I did die once during the quest (why the gently caress do those bastards always come in duos? gently caress). I unlocked the next hunting challenge, the one with 5 raccoons, foxes and skunks or whatever. Luckily, Rio Bravo where I was huntin' happened to be just teeming with those aforementioned skunks! Of course I immediately start blasting those furry little cuties to hell so I could skin 'em.

Except their corpses just... disappear. Literally the second the skunk's ragdoll stops jigglin', the creature disappears. This happened to each and every one of the 20+ skunks I shot. None of the other animals were affected.

The hilarity/weirdness of the bugs in this game almost rival those in Dwarf Fortress

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mills posted:

If you use a gun that is too big, the critters get blasted too much and there is nothing left to skin.

The problem is I shot them with my revolver, and they didn't explode. They just died, had their ragdolly jiggling and disappeared without a trace.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Alex DeLarge posted:

When in the game does that north east area open up? Right now, I'm in Mexico and I just rescued that chick from the cave. Am I close?

Uh, not even remotely close. If you haven't done any of De Santa's missions yet, you have like 90% of Mexico left before that area opens up :shobon:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Heh, they seemed to realize this as the story goes on, as you start to encounter more missions where they don't talk during the ride and it just gives you the option to skip to your destination.

You can skip any and all of those conversations during the game, you don't have to listen to any of them.

I've personally loved the chatter and have only skipped the rides where they don't talk anything. Also there seems to be quite a lot stuff they recorded, because during one West Dickens mission I somehow accidentally failed the mission right before the ride ended so that I had to replay it, and they actually had a completely different conversation from the first one! Neat.

I also love the amount of minuscule little touches in this game. For example, has anyone else noticed that if your character is currently speaking (e.g. Marston during those aforementioned rides, your character in multiplayer while taunting), it's not possible to whistle for your horse? Of course it's only natural, but I wouldn't have thought they'd pay attention to something seriously unremarkable as that. Although they could've used that time for ironing out some bugs but oh well

\/\/\/\/ They get better in my opinion, I don't recall being as disappointed with a Stranger mission in this game as with that one.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 31, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I keep shooting these cougars in the leg but it never cripples them and they just run off into the plains and disappear. That or the shots I use to cripple somehow magically do more damage than normal and kill the cougar outright.

How did people get this challenge? I mean seriously

In addition to the other great suggestions, if you're still having a hard time you could always just shoot the first cougar and knife the other without fear of the first one killing you. Cougars tend to travel in duos extremely often.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Question regarding the Ninja Clan outfit: How the hell am I supposed to stealth kill everyone in the Armadillo saloon without anyone spotting me? I mean this is loving poo poo, the main saloon itself is pretty easy because you can just use throwing stars from the balcony, but the poker room is loving impossible because there's always someone looking in your direction. What am I missing here?

Ugh, I'm trading this game away first thing tomorrow. gently caress this poo poo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I can't believe people didn't raise more of a noise about this so I'll just assume no one noticed it

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Gardias posted:

For those of you who wanted the Hic cheat, it's "i'm drunk as a skunk and twice as smelly"{

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

And it is indeed the goddamn real thing, put it in the goddamn OP. This is so glorious, guys. Gardias may your life be forever full of awesome blowjobs <3

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 2, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ffffuck, switching on the drunk code while galloping full-speed on a horse doesn't result in drunk horse riding :qq: Instead, John will be 100% sober until he dismounts.

My dreams, shattered :qq:

(the drunk code is still awesome)

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

T1g4h posted:

You'd think he could at least wade a little further out than ankle deep, though :v:

The water needs to cover at least marston's shoulders while standing. I don't really know what you're doing wading into so much water in the first place, there's nothing there.

It's pretty silly anyway, though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

T1g4h posted:

Really? Because I got killed almost instantly after wading out into the water just north of the MacFarlane Ranch, with the falls. I literally made it about a step or two, just enough to get to his ankles / shins, when all of a sudden I just... died.

I mostly did it out of sheer curiosity, so it's my own stupid fault, but come on R* :(

Really? Maybe different bodies of water treat you differently then :psyduck: Because I sure have waded way deeper than that just to try it out (and to skin a cougar that fell in a pond, this happened in the swamps near Thieves Landing), and in multiplayer it seems you can go as far as your character's head.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So (late game spoilers) Dutch is dead and I'm a farmer now. I decided to go to Blackwater and see if there was anything to throw a loving knife at in the building where you get the "R" missions. I opened the door, and

it's turned into a time vortex.

There always was something fishy about the government :tinfoil:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 4, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ENDGAME SPOILERS who actually had the heart to do something else than go home after killing Dutch? I at first had intended to hunt some elk before ending the mission, but as soon as that loving song started playing and I got the prompt "Go see your family" I just couldn't do it. I just had to finally give John his wife and kid back :(

I think that was one of the most emotional moments in the whole game. Even John's death wasn't that devastating for me, probably because reading this thread on my phone (no spoiler tags) spoiled me.

gently caress. This game guys. The last time I was as torn by a game was in Metal Gear Solid 4 the whole end sequence starting from when Snake struggles through that loving infernal microwave room with clips of his friends nearly dying.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 6, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Morter posted:

I love the randomness of hunting/skinning for mad loots.

"Wolf Heart +2" :psyduck:

Wow. You sure? Because that should only happen if you quick-skin multiple carcasses in a row, as the game tries to display all of your loot at once. I've certainly never got more than one skin/claw/horn/heart/meat from a single animal.

It's possible to get more than one feather from a single bird, though.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Protip posted:

I just got to this same point in the game as well. I'm wondering if this has to do with why people recommended making a backup save right around the time you first reach Blackwater? Is the reason just so you always have the option to start playing late in the game as John? Are there some things you can't do as Jack? Near as I could tell everything carried over. Maybe I have to get the "real" ending to see why the backup save might be important. I'm just worried I'll miss out on something accidentally.

It's only because most people don't like playing as Jack, because he's so different from his awesome father and his voice acting isn't nearly as good as John's. The game continues exactly like it did before, but you just play as Jack.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

e: nevermind, you're talking about perspectives

(but the first one isn't that hard to understand?)

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 7, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jax 57 or Jist Bgiu posted:

Also, is there an easy way to "find all locations in single player" for the trophy / achievement? I feel like I've been everywhere on the map. Is there a simple way to check my progress?

Sign up on the Rockstar Social Club, you'll find a checklist of what you need for 100% and also a nifty map which shows all the named locations and whether or not you've visited them.

e: beaten like a lady pushed down the stairs in Armadillo's saloon

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 7, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Guys, I found something really weird.

Try shooting a random guy (only tried this in SP) in the back with a rifle/repeater/sniper rifle/pistol. Target just a bit above where his belt is. Watch as the guy scrambles back up.

Shoot again.

Watch him squirm in pain but get up.

Shoot again.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Seriously, for some reason the NPCs in the game seem to have this invincible spot in their backs juuust around the waistline. I tried this with at least ten or so characters, none of which would die however many holes I blasted into their lower back. Not even a full clip from the Evans or several Buffalo or Carcano rifle rounds killed them, but it did seem to take their HP down to 1 though, since a shot pretty much anywhere else was a guaranteed kill. Also a knife or a shotgun shot to the back killed them, the shotgun probably because of the spread.

Could someone try this, I want to know if this is only my game?

The bugs in this game :confused:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 8, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I think that's maybe because their health is regenerating between the time you shoot them, and they get back up? NPCs have regenerating health as well. Try double tapping the "invincible spot."

I fooled around a bit with this more, and even with regenerating NPCs, I still say this is a miracle spot. If you shoot a guy in the leg or the arm, they'll be crippled, and if you shoot that limb again after waiting a bit they'll most likely just die. Shooting near the chest without the guy dying and then shooting the same spot again after he's gotten up killed them too.

Not so with the lower back. You can shoot the guy however many times, and they'll always get back up if you get just the right place above the belt. It was really tricky to get more than one Dead Eye shot to land in the exact same place, but I finally managed it just now and not even three high-powered pistol bullets in the back with Dead Eye (after at least 10 Buffalo rifle shots, five Carcano rounds and several pistol shots) killed the guy. Every single bullet mentioned went in the same hole.

Feeling a bit sadistic here :gonk:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

OgNar posted:

I haven't finished reading the thread yet but, if you play any game without at least 2-3 running saves you are just begging for one of them to get corrupted.

Questions that I haven't seen answered yet. Are there any items that I should save for later? i.e. antlers, meat or flowers of any sort for a mission. Or just sell the lot when I get them?
Also am I screwing up any missions by wandering into towns and killing the lot, I'm having too much fun just wandering around looking for trouble to get in to.

Depends on where you are and whether or not you like the idea of traveling around the map collecting things again for certain Stranger missions. You might want to save whatever flowers you've gathered thus far, especially red sage, also twenty or so feathers (of any bird), and if for some reason you've already found and hunted some beavers, don't sell their furs either yet.

e;f;b

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Makrond posted:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
You get a better revolver from Landon Ricketts the first time you talk to him. You also get another one later on in Mexico.

So I'm just about done with Mexico and I can't help but wish I was back in Armadillo where things were nice an simple with clear-cut missions where I was helping out good folk, rather than working for a corrupt, lecherous caricature of a Coronel and his homosexual lap-dog or Abraham Reyes: national gigolo. Heck the second I was done with Bonnie and the Marshall's missions I regretted it.

Having the protagonist constantly work with and for completely deplorable characters (when the protagonist is not completely deplorable themselves, which John Marston isn't) only works if there's a few sympathetic characters scattered here and there for contrast. Having everyone in Mexico be either naive, functionally retarded, mired in self-pity, a lecherous rear end in a top hat with too much power or another lecherous rear end in a top hat who will gently caress up the second he gets into power (at least I assume that's what Reyes will do) just made me want to shoot everyone in Mexico in the face.

Oh and of course Luise, being the only character with any redeeming qualities whatsoever, gets loving killed offscreen and the only reason I found out was because there was a quick mention in a cutscene. gently caress Mexico.

Yeah, the entirety of Mexico is pretty much the weakest part of the game. It's too long, John has very little incentive to do any of the work he does (as he repeatedly shows in his dialogue), and all the characters are genuinely unlikeable except for Ricketts, even the revolution people. Sure it's great to have a huge, different-looking part of the world open for shenanigans, but the story part itself in there is just agonizing. The missions are generally fun and varied, though.

We could very well crib the name of the next thread from the Left 4 Dead one; "Oh my god, I hate Mexico so much"

e: Also so as not to seem so negative, man I love free roam when it clicks together. Couple of days ago I was just dicking around, doing Solomon's Folly when suddenly a random guy enters the session and comes to help me. After the hideout is cleared, we chat a little bit and it appears he's also Finnish! We posse up, he invites a friend of his, we go clear more hideouts and have a shitload of fun. At some point we come across a German guy trotting along the road with the lovely level two horse, invite him to our posse and I give him my own horse so he can keep up :3:

Then we ended it all in an awesome free-for-all match in Armadillo.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 10, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Let me tell all of you who are happily nowhere near the end:

Do some bounty missions once in a while between missions. It's good for you. It's also loving boring waiting for more bounties to pop up, and I still have like eight to go.

Ugh. Why can't someone put those posters up while you're away from town? I mean, I can see what Rockstar is going for there, the whole *sheriff puts up wanted poster* *worn out cowboy rips poster from wall, squints at the windy desert showing no emotion* thing or whatever, but sometimes it takes ages for one to appear.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

Bounties are a pretty nice alternative to the dumb minigames Rockstar likes to shove into all their games these days as filler and time-killers. At least most of the minigames in RDR are, you know, games that actually translate well into videogame form. Plus if you get tired of bounties there's always hunting to fall back on. And the silent movies are pretty amusing, if a little overdone ("My heavens, what foul evil hath bedeviled my betrothed?").

What I meant was that if you're aiming for 100%, it's pretty agonizing when the only thing you have left is ten bounties and you have to stand around waiting for them. Doing bounty missions is fun, waiting for a poster to be put up isn't.

The movies are great. I'm hoping for more movies with new patches, since there seems to be only two...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sioux posted:

I've used the War Horse from the Limited Edition the whole time, but occasionally broke a wild horse for fun or jumped on a different horse while doing a mission because it was around and mine was not. I never actually hitched anything, because I always leave my horse wherever it is when I get off. I just entered West Elizabeth and haven't seen that trophy either. I guess you can't even ride or break any other horse for 20 missions. I guess I'll have to wait until another playthrough? :(

I'm never getting that trophy ever because it's too much fun to run at full gallop and shoot my horsey in the head :hurr:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Guys, has anyone had problems with the (multiplayer) Sharpshooter II Rank 3 challenge not registering? I've one-shotted like six bears in the face, and I just can't seem to get the challenge. First I thought it could've been because I had the Master Hunter challenge with five bears active at the same time, but the Sharpshooter challenge still won't register now that I've beaten the Hunter one.

Also bears in multiplayer are so loving disappointing. Why the hell are they so ridiculously weak? I mean seriously, one slash with the knife to the side or whatever = instant kill.

:negative:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Nckdictator posted:

Riding on the roofs of trains shooting passerby is morbidly fun.

Riding on the roof of a train and enabling the Hic cheat isn't morbidly fun or even hilarious, but it's amusing nonetheless.

Mylan posted:

I had the same problem. 1-shotted like 10 bears in the snowy area of Tall Trees, didn't get credit. The solution is to kill bears around Bearclaw Camp. First one there dinged it for me. Apparently those ones are grizzlies while the rest aren't, or something.

Thanks, man! I'm going to try this when I get back to RDR today.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

aMoose posted:

Did anyone else find Marston's reunion with his family completely underwhelming? not to mention a bit bathetic.

(THESE ARE SUPER END GAME SPOILERS GUYS) Yeah. The reunion itself was a bit flat, mostly because we'd never seen John's family before and couldn't relate to them in any way. It was actually way more emotional just before that for me when the final mission with Dutch ended and John finally got to go home, I almost broke at that point (the song that started playing didn't help at all). John I already knew and loved the bastard, and him getting to go see his family was like releasing a long tortured man free. I couldn't even stop to hunt some bears and elk, as I had planned to do after the mission. John had to get home.

E: JOESSUS CHRIST I almost hosed it all up, good thing I checked out my post after I posted it. Don't forget the "/" at the end of your spoiler tags, kids!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 14, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mylan posted:

I had the same problem. 1-shotted like 10 bears in the snowy area of Tall Trees, didn't get credit. The solution is to kill bears around Bearclaw Camp. First one there dinged it for me. Apparently those ones are grizzlies while the rest aren't, or something.

Alright, I tried it and it worked. Thank you.

It seems a lot of the sharpshooter challenges are glitched, though, the next one tasks you with shooting a hat off of someone while "riding a mount". I shot at least half a dozen hats off of people's heads while riding a horse, stationary and with different speeds, but the challenge didn't register before it randomly just... did. I did nothing different from before.

:psyduck:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So the idea behind making another save is just because you're stuck wearing a particular outfit for the remainder of the game?

No, not exactly. Trust us, just make that extra save, finish the game, and then decide whether you're glad you did or not. I hope you did save before you did the next story thing after that last Dutch mission.

I personally haven't felt the need to use that previous save after beating the game, it's down to your preferences.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

VDay posted:

Uh... he's just talking about hunting, there's nothing in there about the end game.

And for future reference, if you think someone just spoiled the ending of a game, don't quote his entire, un-spoilered post. You just make things worse.

It was a joke.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was able to download the DLC from PSN. The store I accessed through the game itself showed absolutely nothing (:confused:), but when I checked the latest things in PSN, there it was in all its glorious redness. Downloaded and installed just fine.

There doesn't seem to be any way to access it yet, though?

I've no idea. I've never downloaded DLC on day one.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 22, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Checking now and still not seeing anything. You might have just gotten lucky.

Hmm, interesting. But yeah, it's not showing up in the Installed DLC section from the main menu, maybe it'll pop up when it's actually live.

The DLC seems to be super small though, it was only 15 mb when I got it (unless I've got some freaky "lucky" version of it).

HOLY poo poo I just dropped into multi and GNIAAUURRR and a cougar instantly kicked my rear end holy gently caress

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I "played" some multiplayer and

uhh

what the gently caress.

Please, people, tell me if your game is behaving normally after downloading the DLC, because I just had the freakiest drat session. I couldn't see the random person I possied up with but he showed up on the radar, and he couldn't see me either. We went to check out Solomon's Folly... and it was deserted. We entered, action music started playing, no enemies popped up and then we just instantly won and got 400 XP for it. Then the guy blew us both up with dynamite, and he ended up permanently stuck in the loading screen that comes up before respawning.

There were also at least like eight other guys on the server, but you couldn't see half of them on the map and :confused:

Pre-patch madness or something? I mean, shouldn't we get a patch to go along the DLC as well?

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 22, 2010

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Capsaicin posted:

Also, where the gently caress do I find rabbits?

Absolutely EVERYWHERE. The common advice is to simply not look for them, you'll see some real soon.

Wow, I just tried to execute/quick-kill a train driver with a throwing knife, and the game crashed. Gonna try that again.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

So has any PS3 owner managed to get into a co-op mission game? I checked out RDR a couple of hours before work, and nothing showed up in the Installed DLC section of the main menu of RDR.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Alright, can anyone explain this? Frustrated with how the game still doesn't show I have installed the DLC, I tried, just for the gently caress of it, and created a US PSN account (I'm an eurogoon with a US edition of the game), and voilá, there the DLC was, installed and ready for playing. I switched back to my usual European PSN, and nothing.

Does this basically mean that if I have an NTSC version of the game I'll need to have a US PSN in order to play DLC stuff?

:psyduck:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

How is this lasting people 40 hours? I just killed Dutch and did 10 of the Stranger missions (the others haven't popped up yet) and I'm not even 15 hours in. Though, I am ignoring the challenges because those are more hassle than they're worth. I mean, it's a great game and all but I can't imagine how people are stretching it out that long.

It took me over 30 hours to finish the game, but I did nearly all the challenges before ending it and I also spent at least a total combined time of five hours just being a dick and pushing people around and down stairs.

Also I didn't want to just blast through the game, I wanted to let it really soak in because it's loving awesome :3:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Damone posted:

I remember John constantly telling Jack he wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Lines like: "Are you going to leave again Pa?" Were usually replied by John with a no. I think he really thought for a moment, he was done and could lead an honest live.

But then again he didn't seem all that surprised when he realized who was coming at that fateful evening. I think he just wanted to have his final piece of normal, peaceful life with his wife and son, like the calm just before a storm. I believe he certainly knew it was very possible for Ross to kill him just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ace Oliveira posted:

That reminds me, Rockstar is very good at designing teeth in this game. They actually look realistic and not made of plastic like most games. Even though, I don't remember Bonnie having bad teeth.

Jesus, look at me. Spergin out about video game teeth. I should find something better to do.

Her teeth are just a bit on the big side, not bad though. Bonnie's such an adorable and lovable girl :3:

Have you played Heavy Rain? The chompers in that game will give you nightmares.

e:

:cry:

• Locked thread