Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

loving cougars. I want my Buffalo Rifle! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just managed it. None of that nancy AI exploit nonsense. Just dismounted, rolled to dodge the initial attack and gave them a face full of knife. :clint:

Finding the bastards was the issue I had.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sieg posted:

So last night I killed Bill Williamson [End of Mexico spoiler]. I think I missed a cutscene. After I did it, John and Reyes just stood around frozen in place like they were mid jumping jack. Hitting the Start button on the PS3 said it was paused like it does when there is a cutscene. :(

After a minute or so, the screen went black for a second, and then John was there by himself and it autosaved.

What did I miss?

My game froze at that exact moment similarly to yours, but after waiting for a minute or two I went to reset my PS3 the cutscene started up so I didn't miss it. Can't remember what happened in it for the life of me, though. Sorry. :(

For being so amazing, this game sure is buggy. And when it bugs out, it really bugs out. Earlier after completing the first Agent Ross [Post Mexico spoiler] mission, I couldn't get any button prompts to pop up, meaning that I couldn't mount my horse, shop, change outfits or save. I tried camping outside of town but Marston just sat at the camp and I still had no button prompts. Thank goodness for autosave.

Also I've died at least three times from fall damage after sliding to cover and immediately being catapulted up like 50 feet into the air.

Edit:

Debawv posted:

Haunted Mansion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBK74LlU3M

What do you have to do to keep your weapon out like that? Whenever I ready my weapon Marston holsters it after a few seconds if I don't aim or shoot.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 9, 2010

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm nearing the end of the game (I think) and I still can't buy the last bit of the US Army Uniform from Blackwater. When can I do that?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

a 16 year old girl posted:

Not until the very last mission before you finish the game, as long as John has the Rancher outfit it stays locked.

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Lost Levels posted:

:downs:

Gee, thanks. Saves me from playing the last couple of hours I have left.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hey You Pifuckyou! posted:

I'm never getting that trophy ever because it's too much fun to run at full gallop and shoot my horsey in the head :hurr:

I've killed at least six horses while trying to shoot wolves biting at my horse's feet. Then I realized you can turn auto-aim off. :downs:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tewratomeh posted:

Oh, and as for Ross, I ended up sparing his family. I didn't really feel right once I was actually on the mission where you track him down, even though I was all ready to go in guns blazing earlier. I'm a little disappointed that Ross was a Draw event and that he went down like the dozens of others I shot in the face twenty times before their hand even touched their gun. I was expecting something more cathartic, but it was just me killing a grumpy old man.

I was really hoping it'd be like the ending in, say, Lost and the Damned or when you have to shoot Bill where you can take your time and listen to Ross turn into a total pussy before shooting him. Also if you loot him he has about $400 on him. Anyone forget to do that? The game of course doesn't mention that he's loving loaded. :v:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I do wish they'd brought Jack into the story earlier though. I really enjoyed the father-son thing they had at the end of the game, along with having to do all sorts of semi-mundane rancher stuff as John unlike in earlier Rockstar games where the story immediately ends after reaching the climax. Having Jack appear earlier in the game would've fleshed out the relationship between John and his son more and given John's death, and Jack's revenge even more impact. That said, the overall concept of having the main character's son take over for his father, receiving his outfits, weapons and money is pretty cool. And I don't mind playing as Jack that much, of course he's not as much of a badass as John was. Though his VO sounds weirdly like Jake Gyllenhaal.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

End game plot stuff

Well put.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dr Geek posted:

I was playing MP last night and I could swear I shot at a guy but he blocked the bullet with his knife! Granted I was a little drunk, but it looked like there was a spark on his knife and the sound of a bullet reflecting off metal.
Did he drop the knife? I haven't played MP yet much at all but I assume it's the same effect as disarming someone by shooting at their weapon in single player.

Bloodcider posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the auto-paint targeting from Dead Eye level 2? Because it's really irritating, I like just slowing time and shooting at my own leisure.
You have to play on, you'll eventually get the level 3 Dead Eye which doesn't do the automatic target painting.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

sirbeefalot posted:

I enjoyed the ending for the most part. My only real problem with the post-endgame now are some minor oddities, like how Jack maintains ALL of John's stats. Getting his weapons, clothing, even the provisions and supplies he was carrying all sort of make sense, but his Fame? I guess he might look like his father... Also, according to the grave site, its been 3 whole years since John's death. Where are the other story characters now? I wish they would have left them in the world just as another NPC to have brief interactions with. I haven't played much beyond the ending yet, but do any of the characters you met during the bulk of the story show up again in any capacity? I realize there aren't more story missions after the story is complete, but it would be nice to see Bonnie McFarlane working around their ranch, or that guy that was going to drill for water at the Pleasance House, etc. I guess its not really new for this type of game to remove all story NPCs from the world after you finish the story.

I think what I really just want is a sequel already. :ohdear:

A newspaper you can read after the plot ends mentions that Seth found his gold and is super rich. Seth was an awesome character. :) Also on another stranger mission if you start it as John and end it as Jack the dude mentions something along the lines of how you look younger than before.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

aMoose posted:

I think I witnessed one of the stranger glitches near the end of the game.

The part just before Marston opens the barn door and gets blown away. Just as he was sending his wife and kid off: he slapped the horse's butt, and then moved towards the door. Thing is, as the camera dollied back and the horse ran off, his son was standing by the barn door, as if he were hiding behind it -- so much so that I assumed the twist would be that he had jumped off the horse without his dad knowing, and would feature in his dad's saviour/downfall.

That exact thing happened to me, too. I knew it was a glitch though because I could see two Jacks in the cutscene while one of them was on the horse. It did make that bit a bit unintentionally hilarious. It's as though he found a way to clone himself.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I had issues finding that too because I thought it would show up on the map no matter where I was, but eventually I was hanging out in El Matadero and had the question mark pop up on my map. I suggest looking there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

golem_ii posted:

Tesoro Azul.

I just finished it, and the only thing I can say is 'where's RDR2'

You just finished it. :v:

But seriously, I hope they make another game like this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is my game bugged or is the larger bag you get from one of the challenges really that crappy that if you buy say, 10 medicines which is double you can normally carry without the new bag, save, then load the game you're back down to 5 medicines? Because that's what keeps happening to me. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Sco Dylan posted:

Already answered but D-Pad. I wish it was as easy to do as it is with Uncharted 2 (you just tap the stick in, really easy to do on the fly), but it works well once you get used to having to reach for the D-pad.
I wish you could do it by clicking on the stick, I think I've crouched once during the entire time I've played RDR so far. Apart from accidentally clicking on the stick during combat and scuttling away from enemies like some retarded crab-person. :argh:

I totally fell in love with the way the UC games did it, though, and it should be a feature in every single game where you have to aim a weapon.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not much into player vs player deathmatches, but the free roam and co-op gang hideout stuff is so much fun. This is the first PS3 game so far I've enjoyed playing online, despite running into a few assholes.

I went to help one guy clear out Solomon's Folley and afterwards he invited me to his posse and I accepted. He then promptly shot and killed my horse and knifed the poo poo out of me. I left his posse but he kept spamming posse invites as I went my own way, so I turned and took a few potshots at him from afar and took off. He then followed me and started shooting at me so I shotgunned him in the face and stole his horse and made him ragequit. :smug:

It's just too bad that most of the free roams I enter are drat near empty with only two or three guys in them. And they always want to do deathmatches which I hate because I can't manual aim worth poo poo. :( I want to try out the new co-op stuff but I guess I should get a headset first.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

midge posted:

How the hell do I do sharpshooter Rank 10?
Is this the disarm thing? I did it by going to the saloon in Thieves' Landing and taking cover behind the counter. From there I shot a guy in the leg which made all the patrons go berserk and pull out their guns. Then I just went into dead-eye and disarmed all of them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So I'm in Tall Trees doing the 7th hunter challenge and picking some flowers for the last survivalist challenge when I'm ambushed by a bear. Knowing more would show up after killing it, I decided to stick around and wait for them so I could get the achievement for killing/skinning 18 of them. In the end I didn't get it because night fell and I got way too paranoid and freaked out being in the middle of the woods when it's so dark and with truck-sized grizzlies sneaking around me. :saddowns:

Fake edit: I got bearanoid.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

BonoMan posted:

He says that at a bunch of little "deserted" areas around the map.
Whenever he mentioned something like that it was usually followed by an animal attack when I played through the game so I always figured whoever was there got wiped out by wild animals. :v:

Also I was excited when at the start of the game I was reading a newspaper in Armadillo and it mentioned there was a lodge or something along those lines for sale in Aurora Basin but when you get there you can't buy it. :( I wanted to live there as some kind of a deranged hermit who only comes out to stab bears in the face.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

maybe the one where the guy is so excited to get his horse back.
He's the only one who can be happy about the ending, though. He ends up marrying the horse. :gonk:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is the larger satchel that you get from one of the challenges bugged for anyone else? As I understand it, it's supposed to carry twice the amount of items that the normal bag does, but whenever I fill it up (10x Medicine, 10x Bait and so on), save, and then load the game the next time I'm back down to 5 of everything. :(

Just 100% the game earlier and had a blast doing it. The last hunting challenges especially were fantastic. Brumas bitchslapped me off Nekoti Rock and my horse soon followed. I paid him back with a couple of Buffalo Rifle rounds to his skull. :clint:

Also I only now noticed the binoculars in the inventory. When do you get these? I knew they were in the game and all but I always thought they'd show up in the weapon menu instead of your bag.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Hal Gill username posted:

That seems to be a persistent bug, unfortunately.

You got the binoculars in the mission where Nastas takes you to spy on Dutch in Cochinay. I haven't found them to be terrible useful, to be honest.
Ahh, forgot about that. I've found them useful a few times but realized that it's less hassle to just whip out a sniper rifle and use the scope to look around, though the view is larger with the binoculars. I'd use them if they were on the weapon wheel, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

HAL9100 posted:

Hahaha, Treasure Hunter Rank 8 is the spot Andy Dufrain left money for Red.
Holy poo poo, I knew there was something familiar about that place. :aaaaa:

fenix down posted:

I like that. Blackwater does have the same vibe as The Assassination of Jesse James. The clash of civilization and wild west, a gunslinger has to adapt or fade out. But everyone dresses all cool either way.
There's a house next to one of the roads leading out of Blackwater that looks a whole lot like the house at the end of the movie.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not that into the multiplayer thing so I'm sad there's going to be only one singleplayer DLC. However, it does sound pretty loving badass. Mixing horror elements with a massive sandbox game, a western themed one no less, sounds like a pretty interesting thing to me.

Also new random encounter stuff! :neckbeard:

I don't mind (endgame stuff) playing as Jack overall and I like the story went there, but I wish they'd release an option to play as John again. Listening to that Jake Gyllenhaal-esque "WORK YA drat NAG" again and again gets pretty old.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've never had any real issues with horses, I've had the same one for ages now and the moment I used another one to try it out, it was completely different. They did say the horses have their own personalities and whatnot, and it's pretty apparent in some cases. The new horse I used freaked out whenever there was gunfire whereas my old, trusty steed didn't bat an eye even if I shot a gun right next to it.

I got tired of chasing that new horse so I sent him to greener pastures. :clint:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but as I understand it, you can play in the open world. Are the trains still running, in that case? I want to get a few friends on and have awesome Indiana Jones-esque fistfights and lasso duels on top of train cars.
No trains in multiplayer, unfortunately. :( Not sure why.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

WeaselWeaz posted:

False, there's a little difference. I turned in the Daedalus mission that I started before the ending and the guy said something like "Did that other guy send you?" So the game seems to add a line to fit the continuity, even though nobody aged.
And also the Aztec Gold stranger mission in Mexico, if you start it as John and end it as Jack the dude comments on how you look younger. :v:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Earwicker posted:

the "most wanted" thing for player killers is a great idea.

however I'm not sure I like this thing about how players who "feel bullied" can just teleport anywhere. How do they distinguish who's being bullied? or are they just giving everyone to just teleport away at any time because that'd be terrible
I'm guessing if you get killed by the same dude several times in free roam you get an option to change locations not unlike using the travel option in free roam.

I'd prefer an option to send a bunch of bears to bitchslap the griefer into the ocean but this'll do for now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Earwicker posted:

actually you know what would be the best DLC of all time?

Bear mode.

In bear mode you are a bear.
Bears vs Cougars free for all.

Do it now, Rockstar.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

• Players now have the ability to swap shoulder buttons L1/L2, R1/R2.

Does this mean it switches L2 with R2 or R2 with R1? I hope it's the latter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Definitely the latter.
Sure is! Awesome.

So do any of the other DLC's apart from the zombie one have any singleplayer content or are they all multiplayer stuff? I'd be happy to shell out some money for sp content but not multi since I don't play that too much.

Also did that patch fix any gameplay issues other than the ones listed? Things like multiple Jacks in the barn towards the end of the game and the game freezing and stuff like that?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ray and Shirley posted:

I've run into this one as well and am equally clueless. I've come upon two guys duking it out in the middle of the wilderness, in addition to two guys carefully stacking explosives.

I have no idea what or if there's any point to them, but it usually ends in gunfire of some sort from me. :)
The one where the guys are playing around with dynamite is the best thing. If you leave them to it long enough one of the guys fucks up and they all blow up in a shower of carnage.

The only instance I can come up with where there were two guys at a campsite who opened fire on me was when they were in the middle of robbing and killing two other guys who were there before them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mel Gibson.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

So Amazon gave me two codes for the Golden Gun Weapons Pack by mistake. It's for the PS3 version of the game so I'm not sure if it would work on the 360 version or not. Anyone want it?
I'd love one.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

Sent you a PM with the code. Enjoy!
Awesome, thanks. :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I did see this on the main game page :
gently caress, that's going to be awesome. As if normal bears weren't scary enough in the dark forests of Tall Trees, now there are Zombie Bears.

I can't wait for the inevitable flood of tears from people who don't understand that games are supposed to be fun and instead are all "My realism! There were no zombies in the wild west! :qq:"

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, zombie cougars (zougars?) are scary and all, but gently caress this noise:

:gonk:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wait a minute, they already released the two outfits less than a month ago or so. I'm pretty sure they came with a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Morter posted:

Are you sure? How do you go about getting it then? I'd rather kill 50 bears than 99 to get me some max bear loots :dance:
They had some fairly arbitrary requirements like buying stuff from every gun store in the game but I'm almost done getting them. Haven't been able to find the Jackalope yet, though.

Eggplant Ronin posted:

They released them early on the PS3, but pulled them.
Ahh that explains it.

• Locked thread