Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I guess I'll give my game rundown since it's a new thread. Just to preface this, I have been F5ing every game site since last year for news on this game, I have every video released saved onto a thumb drive to watch on my TV through my PS3, I preordered it in FULL July 09, etc etc...basically I was lusting after this game.

First I'll nitpick, things I think could have been changed/been better:

-ENDGAME JACK'S loving VOICE!
-I wish pressing fire while not aiming would shoot into the air
-Not enough secrets/easter eggs, hardly any references. I was hoping for really cool poo poo to explore, but eventually the missions would take me to every landmark. I wanted more to find. Hell, how many more copies did Just Cause 2 sell just because of cool poo poo like the Lost island?
-No Merchant outfit yet :(
-Wish you could incite duels without having to cheat at poker
-Random encounters get old after a while, and you know exactly what will happen.
-The glitches suck (though I haven't hardly experienced any), and it sucks how sometimes when you're indoors or peeking out a window/broken slats (think Tumbleweed), the NPCs and such are invisible. It made shooting people through the decrepit buildings and walls in Tumbleweed annoying.

Things I loved more than anything:

-Treasure maps. More games need to cut the cord and let us figure poo poo out ourselves. I know there are too many dumb fucks out there, but screw them. I wish there was more maps, hopefully they do some more in DLC or something.
-Marston in general, he was the poo poo. Love the "just kidding" part with MacDougal.
-Stranger quests, I love extra poo poo like this.
-TUMBLEWEED is the best place ever, the first shootout I had there I felt like I was in a movie.
-The weather, the immersion, the sound, everything was perfect. Nothing like being stuck in Tall Trees during a stormy windy night, evading bears and wolves.

All in all, this MIGHT be my favorite game of all time. I won't say for sure until some time goes by, but it's just incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
You morons are the reason most games hold everybody's hand like we're all tards. :ughh:

The treasure maps are one of the best things in the game, and I wish they never ended (found all of them without looking anything up).

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

AndyElusive posted:

After picking up 'Fightin' Around the World' I followed every idea given here on how to snag the Dastardly achievement and got it. Not sure what I was doing wrong the first couple of times.

Anyways, now I feel evil. Thanks cow-pokes.

Did you have to do the ground tackle?

I feel like I've knocked someone out in every saloon on the list I saw, but I never did ground tackles just punched til they fell over (and it counted as a knockout in my stats).

Wondering if maybe that's the issue, or if I missed one (or did one on a save I reloaded or something).

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Where/when do you get the Henry Repeater? I've beat the game and I still don't have it and don't see it for sale in the few shops I've checked. Is it only in a specific shop?

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Rewatching some of the earliest videos they showed like the trailer from mid-09, and it raised some questions.

I don't remember blowing up any train bridges, but it was shown in some videos and screenshots. Am I that forgetful?

Also in that early trailer the scene where Marston comes in on the train looks a lot different if that was the one they were going to use. The elegant suit is about the most prominent outfit from the early videos as well.

It's fun to re-watch after I've finished the game though. I used to watch these drat videos all the time, and now I can look at it and know where things are and what's different.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Last night my friend/co-worker calls me late at night and asks for backup in free roam because a posse is riding on him.

I join the game and we proceed to put those suckers down until they leave. I had a bunch of kill streaks going and they were like 10 levels above me. Justice is served.

Rusty posted:

Anyway, time to read the spoilers and see if the story is in any way interesting. I think one thing that ended up helping in my decision to sell it was the "I know you mission". People here seemed to think it was really something special but it wasn't any more interesting than any of the other stranger missions.

That's because you have to finish the game to get the payoff for that mission, otherwise it is almost meaningless. It was just "eh" to me, but once I finished the game and it tied together it became my favorite Stranger quest.

Also shaking my head at the moron asking about where to find beavers not even 20 posts behind a half page discussion on where to find them.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I wish the Serendipity was a gang hideout. Or Cochinay.

Also, there's a lot of loving whiners in this thread. I wish the hour counting poo poo never caught on, but now it's like the only standard these A.D.D. 90s babies care about.

This game offered so much more than it needed to, and is giving people entire days of fun. I will gladly drop the money to buy it and support the developers (especially with what they went through), and not just rent it because it didn't have enough HOURS of scripted play time.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
If anyone wants to get down on some PS3 action right now me and a co-worker are going at it. Would love to get the 8 man posse trophy!

PSN is DylanSesco

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

sclark13 posted:

Count me in DylanSesco for some RDR fun.

PS3: ZoSo_Wizard

Didn't get to play long, I'm having issues with my connection (replacing my 10 year old router tomorrow, posted about it in the PS3 hardware thread) so we only played for a little bit, and I would jump on now but my girlfriend is hogging it to play Uncharted 2 :(

If you haven't already I'll send you an invite so we can kill some god drat mexicans together (my girlfriend is mexican, this is where my frustration comes from).

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I wonder why they don't have the outfit Marston is wearing on the cover and in some of the new artwork (http://www.reddead.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/marstonart.jpg).

It looks pretty bad rear end.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

smarion2 posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm not quick to giving it up quite yet and am usually able to find something I like about a game. For instance, the treasure hunter part is a pretty cool aspect. I really wish other video game developers would stop holding people hands so much... It's really satisfying when you finally figure out something thats hard.

This game is a western, which are often about big landscapes, a sense of isolation, and exploration. Just take your time with it, don't expect something mindless like Call of Duty deathmatch with constant flashes and pops.

Some of the gunfights are epic though, just wait until you first get to raid Tumbleweed.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Skeezy posted:

Is anyone else still having issues with being kicked out of free roam all the time? RDR is the only game I have that craps out on me all the time, everything else is just fine.

I was having this problem, so from a goon's advice in the PS3 hardware thread I went out and bought a new router. Been perfect ever since I replaced it two days ago.

Try updating router firmware, or getting a new one altogether. It worked for me.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I need ONE person to join my posse for the trophy...please goons, help my trophy addiction! :sweatdrop:

PSN DylanSesco

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Martytoof posted:

Argh, now my lasso won't stay attached to anything. As soon as I rope a horse John just lets go while my finger is still on the trigger. I must be super unlucky because this is getting really buggy.

Hold the LEFT trigger/L2, aka the AIM button, not the SHOOT button.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I guess there's some glitch a guy was using where he was basically doing the "leap over fence" animation over and over, so basically he looked like a monkey hopping around half underground, he'd only stop to aim and deadeye someone instantly to death.

Fun stuff.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

OrangeGuy posted:

By the way, when should I make an extra save like someone said? I just unlocked Blackwater, so I should be coming close, right?

One of the story missions will give you a new gun. Save an extra right after that.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

RedneckwithGuns posted:

What the point of this? I used one save throughout and never had a problem....is it a glitch or something?

END GAME SPOILERS It's just so that if you wanna screw around in Single Player, you can do so as John instead of Jack. Otherwise, you have no way of going back unless you start over.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

IRQ posted:

What's the difference?

e: and how do I view my honor? It lists as hero in the stats, but I don't know if that means it's maxed or what. I haven't actually gained honor in a long time though despite doing lots of stuff. Does that mean it's maxed?

The difference is END GAME poo poo John is a bad rear end, and Jack sounds like a whiny clown.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

IRQ posted:

So voice actor, that's it? No actual gameplay differences?

Yeah, it's just that bad.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone done I Know You after finishing the main game? I'm interested in if you can, and if it's different to normal, the guy refers to John by name.

That's the only stranger mission you can't do after you finish the story, but it doesn't count towards 100%.

Also, there is a SHITLOAD of griefing going on in free roam. People treating it more like a gang shootout. Luckily I'm pretty drat good at this poo poo, so I constantly put them down until they give up.

I was posse'd up with some guys, and another two man posse came and just killed us after we finished Tumbleweed, and we saw them but didn't start firing or anything just grabbed ammo and stuff. So I killed them over and over for about an hour and a half as they chased me halfway across New Austin, they were screaming in another language I didn't recognize. Then once I had enough and they went separate ways I caught back up with my posse which was only two other guys now, and after we finish Fort Mercer one of them starts shooting me so I say "what are you doing that for?" His reply? "I wanna see you bleed bitch". So I shoot him once in the head, so the other guy starts firing at me so we roll around until he's put down, then I leave the posse and keep killing them as they try to chase me down a trail, then they finally leave.

Seriously, what the hell? I guess I shouldn't expect people to play nice, but still it's getting excessive. And this was only one play tonight, the other was even worse earlier.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Rowzdower posted:

Could someone outline the endgame for me a little bit?

*Major Spoilers*

I just finished the mission "The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed." John just died and I'm now playing the game as Jack. Is there an alternate path I can take where John doesn't get killed? Or do you always end up playing as Jack in the end?

I'm sure this has been asked several times, but I'm scared to roll over other spoiler texts in fear of that it may spoil something a little further on.

No there aren't alternate endings, but there is a new stranger mission at the train station in Blackwater. That is your "real" ending.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Tide posted:

I think I'm one of the few that doesn't get the Jack hate.

END GAME DISCUSSION

I think Jack is a good character, and I agree totally about him being more immature and all that. But that's the problem, I don't want to play as immature Jack, I want to be bad rear end John. I think his character is done really well, but it's just not who I spent 30 hours as and who I came to really like.

It would be cool if the Jack part was just until you kill Ross, then after credits they just let you be John or Jack and say gently caress continuity and immersion.

Houdini posted:

Do horses have random stats? I caught this really nice pale cream coloured one in Mexico and it runs a lot faster than the others I've had, but seems to have less stamina.

When you first get a horse they don't have as much stamina, because they have to get used to you and become closer to you and all that. Once you ride him a while, the stamina will go up.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Tewratomeh posted:

A lot of things were made irrelevant by horse contracts. Your horse dying, for one, because it takes just a few minutes before you can whip out your contract and whistle for a new horse anywhere in the world. It would've added something to the game to make horse death permanent, and you have to either rustle some poor sap's horse or find a wild one and break it. As it stands, there's no consequence for running your horse to death or losing it to a thief, getting it killed or just plain being stupid. It's the untamed wilderness, things shouldn't be so cushy.

But then, it keeps you from having to play the dumb horse-breaking mini-game so much. So it has that going for it.

The A.D.D. children would throw a loving fit if they had to take a few more minutes to fix any mistake they made with their horse.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Survivalist Mission 10 is bugging me:

Collect ten of the Violet Snowcaps, THEN collect two of each herb remaining? Do you have to do it in that order for it to work??

No.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
The Tumbleweed poo poo about it being haunted is so drat cool. In that video the "we can settle this right here!" as if it was a past event that took place in that foyer was chilling.

If I made video games, they would be splitting at the seams with random easter eggs like that.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Sankis posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble but it just sounds like it's just the despawned NPCs for the hideout making sound somehow, and not like it's intentionally haunted.

No, I figure, but it just seems cool.

Like I said, if I made games it would have a ton of easter eggs like that (but official).

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

arca posted:

You will, I did it as Jack. It doesn't 'show up' because it's drat hard to find unlike the other stranger quests.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/California

Come on now. Don't ruin it for people.

To add content, this Win 4 Team Matches In A Row trophy will be the death of me...I did the FFA 3 in a Row fine, but can't get more than 2 team games in a row. I have led my team in every category just about every game, but it's never enough :(

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm463374592/nm2147789

That's John Marston.

Hahaha.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

AxeManiac posted:

Maybe that was the first cocksucker you captured.

You can block animal attacks? I had a hell of a time taking down cougars with a knife. I would just lure NPC's around and let the cougars attack them, then sneak up on the cougar and stab the poo poo out of it.

Bears are insane, I just got up to them and they sneak up on me, I start killing one and then another runs out and gets me and then some random event happens and cops are all over the place and start shooting me or the bears and getting killed and everything goes to poo poo, which is fun, but when you are trying to get a challenge done... ARGH!!!

I got a kick rear end pistol near the end of the game (around two trees), I'm loving it so far. Finally something to replace my rifle.

Make an extra save right where you are.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

KungfooMF posted:

I know it is all edgy to say GTA4 was this terrible game and not a "AAA Quality" title. But hey, gently caress quality when the drat thing sells 17 million copies and is the highest ranked game on metacritic. But yeah, metacritic is crap and sales numbers can't save the game from being a terrible, terrible mess.

I couldn't get the game to recognize that I killed a duck until I took its feathers...

Terrible, terrible mess? Wow, you guys are a trip sometimes. It seems like everyone at Rockstar groped your mom the way people get all butthurt about GTA4. It was a good-to-great game, but it's sooooo cool to say it was lovely just because it wasn't as "wacky" as GTASA.

Gazmachine posted:

Cheers buddy. turns out I'm missing a seagull and that's it. Right you shore dwelling fuckers, it's go time. :clint:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, been looking at the Social Club stats for the first time. I have this thing where I really, really hate shooting horses, it's the saddest thing in the world to hear a horse give out that sad, stilted whinny and just sort of flop over, so I really, really make a point of not shooting them.

My stats tell me I've killed 117 domestic horses...

It's probably from the gatling gun missions. I know that's where I killed most of my poor horses.

Also, I can't get the "haunted" Tumbleweed stuff to work. Can't see any bats, or here any noise. Do you have to be there are a certain time or something?

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Palleon posted:

I've asked this before, but I'm still having a lot of trouble with it, so going to ask again: How do you actually knock someone out? I know it involves punching them, then being able to tackle them to the ground and hitting them, however, I can't ever get that to happen. In about 20 bar fights I've started, I've only gotten the prompt to take them down once.

The last time I asked, someone said just to hit them 3 times, however, I've done that a lot, and nothing happens. I've even hit them all 3 times 3 consecutive times, and they drop down to the ground for a few seconds, but just get back up, I cannot for the life of me get the prompt to tackle them to show up. Is there some trick to it, do you have to be a certain distance away, do you need to be away from walls, there has to be some consistent way to make it happen that I just can't figure out.

Edit: For the person who said that "Love is the Opiate" isn't showing up, while this may not be an issue for you, you have to finish "Poppycock" first.

Knocking them down counts as a knockout. It really should be called a knockdown to avoid confusion. There is no way to actually knock them out so they stay down.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Capn Beeb posted:

Yes. That way you're not stuck in the god awful outfit the story locks you into for the remainder of the game.

It's too late, actually.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh, drat. What's the latest bit before you get stuck in that costume then?

You have to save before you catch up with Dutch in Tall Trees.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

BlackJosh posted:

I think you can save right after that, actually. Returning to your Ranch and Abigail is a separate mission.

Oh yeah, you guys are right. I thought it was a waypoint.

Also, I'm so god damned tired of the game freezing. I'll never get the 4 In a Row Gangmatches trophy, it always freezes when I'm at like 3. At this point I don't know if it is because of the game or the dying GPU in my PS3.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

The Lone Badger posted:

I am using Casual Aim due to my aforementioned inability to aim with a controller. But because this always pulls my aim to center-mass it makes it very difficult to pull off trick-shots (leg, gun etc) even at close range. Is there an easier way than going into the menu, changing the aiming type, waiting for it to save, firing, then going back into the menu to change it back?

Just use normal, then it snaps on but won't lock on.

You just have to navigate your cursor NEAR an enemy and tap AIM to get a snap, then you are free from there.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
I don't see the bad experiences with Free Roam that a lot of people complain about. Not to toot any horns, but I guess I'm good enough to hold my own if anybody tries to attack.

Yesterday I was in a posse and nobody had mics but me, but we all had an understanding and we went from gang hideout and challenge to another, sometimes even just galloping together down a path during a rainstorm, it was beautiful.

Then later some other guys who joined the posse started killing another 2-person posse, so the guy in our posse who did the killing had his horse shot by me and I told him "punishment for shooting innocent people". Then one of the guys from the other posse just takes me out right after, so I proceed to kill him a few times until he starts high tailing it. I chased him for 10 minutes from Gaptooth Ridge all the way to Tall Trees where I caught up with him at Tanner's Reach. Poor fella got in over his head with the cougars there, and was fending them off. It wasn't looking good for him, so I put a bullet in his head to spare the suffering. Then after I gave him a posse invite as an act of truce, so he joined me in a few challenges. When it was time to log off I thanked him for the epic chase across the frontier, and went on my way.

I loving love Free Roam.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

Bloodcider posted:

I don't have this game on me at the moment, but does it support system link? I'm hoping to get my own TV and Xbox in a few months and I wanna play some free roam with my roommate. That'd work, right?

I believe they said it does.

And it feels so good...

Speaking of beating the poo poo outta this game, how come it took so long for me to find cool new gang matches? I was already done with Single Player and Lvl 45 or so before I ever got the Diez Coronas Hold Your Own match which was incredible, and I haven't gotten it again since. Then last night sitting at Lvl 50, we got a Grab The Bag in Twin Rocks all over the hills, which I had never played.

Are there any other gang matches that hardly show up? I wish there was a way to select a game, because the Diez Coronas one was the poo poo.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
So excited for the co-op pack, I hope this helps revitalize the MP a bit.

It sucks how so many people just grinded Solomon's Folly or another hideout over and over again to level up then just put it away and say the MP sucks or is "boring" now. Yeah, it'll be boring and suck when you treat it like an assignment.

If you take your time and enjoy it you and random strangers can create some epic moments, one of my favorites being a long rear end chase across the entire map. Love the MP, hope they keep adding stuff.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Is Solomon's Folly giving the most at 400xp? Tesoro Azul is only giving 300.

This is the only reason I went Legendary.

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you
Yeah I'm gonna milk this til they fix it. Sucks, I was really really looking forward to the co-op missions.

Hopefully they give us even more free poo poo for this (since they said we'd get Master Hunter and Merchant outfits for free).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sco Dylan
Feb 27, 2003

Help me help you

xbiffx posted:

Its a big kick in the pants to be looking forward to this and not be able to get past the free roam loading screen.

Go to Single Player, then load Multi from there.

Some Free Roams are fine, and others are glitched. It's really strange. I just hopped around and only 2 out of 6 Free Roams were glitched, and it's across the board as in glitched from everybody in THAT free roam, or NOT glitched for that free roam.

Quickest way to tell if it's glitched or not is to call your horse. He won't show up if it's glitched.

• Locked thread