Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rei_ posted:

So I was up north finally and I saw this AMAZING black horse just outracing the herd so I finally managed to grab it and break it in.. I get off my new horse to do a mission but I accidentally whistle to call my old horse...with whom I've been playing most of the game. So I'm in new, awesome horse when the old horse shows up all like.. Following me around sadly now... Stupid game making me feel bad for my mode of transportation. :(

Also earlier I left my black horse on the road to hop into a stolen wagon and take it bcak to its owner and when I came back I found a dead body next to the horse and a cowboy hat resting gently at its feet. Like I was gone for a minute and this horse finds a way to commit a murder.

I think my horse is cursed. :smith:

loving FAST, though. Oh my god I got from Tall Trees to Rio Bravo in basically no time.

American Standardbred. You can now buy a contract for one, since you've broken one in. Personally I think I still prefer the Hungarian Halfbreed simply because while it's not as fast as the American and not as Agile as the Kentucky, it can take a goddamn beating. I've jumped that thing off cliffs that would have made the Kentucky basically explode, and she takes it in stride and just keeps going like it's nothing.

I will say that the Standardbred looks loving AMAZING in the rain... first time I rode into West Elizabeth, I was riding across Dillon Crossing to Blackwater and it was a stormy dusk. I'm passing the buffalo and looking out across the plains and I see this pack of wild horses just flying across the plain in a group, with this one black one darting in and out of the group, basically trotting circles around them. Had to have it. Chased her for a solid mile, finally getting her to hold steady long enough for me to jump on and break her in... then I trot her to Blackwater and marvel at the detail of teh rain glistening on her black fur.

This game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FOR ALL YOU RETARDED TREASURE HUNTERS: (add this to the OP?)
  • Treasure maps all work in steps. They are numbered. You follow the steps 1-4. (there are never more than 4 steps)
  • They are all near some sort of landmark that is on your map, usually the name will somehow give it away. The first 5 maps overtly give you a nearby landmark's name in one way or another, the rest will always feature a very specific landmark.
  • The dotted line is the path you're supposed to walk. Dotted line goes around a rock in the first step, and then the second step shows another rock and an X? Walk around behind the rock and the treasure is behind it. This is just an example. I swear.
  • Most maps feature multiple pictures on one map, detailing each step. They don't all go together as one flowing picture, each drawing marked as a step is a separate drawing, therefore the same landmark could be in multiple drawings, just from a different perspective or with more elaborate path instructions.

If you still can't figure out the treasure hunting after all of that, sorry, you're just an idiot. I can't think of any way to spell it out clearer.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

simosimo posted:

Any word on someone finding out the 'hic' drunken cheat yet? :smith:

I feel like I was in a bar at one point and there was a phrase carved into the top of it... maybe in Thieve's Den? If so, that ccould be it... would make sense, anyway. I could have just been imagining it or getting it confused with something else, there's just so much stuff in this game, it's all bleeding together into one single nidus of AWESOME.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Son of a bitch, I just hit my first bug. Finally got to Blackwater and did the first mission where you get the High Powered Pistol, then went and saved. Reloaded today and I lost the pistol. :smith:

Is there a way to get it back? If not, then gently caress... don't have any recent saves other than like halfway through Mexico.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You know, I never got the Love is the Opiate Stranger task... was there something special that needed to be done to unlock it?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mylan posted:

I think you have to finish Poppycock first.

I did. :smith:

I found the first part of it, got the horse, now the second part isn't showing up. :smithicide:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

csidle posted:

It won't show up unless you're riding the correct horse. The correct horse is the white one with the dark face.

I am. :smithicide:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Crazygamer posted:

Does riding it matter? I'm pretty sure I broke the horse and then led it on my own horse all the way back, and it worked.

I beat the first part with the horse. The quest hasn't popped back up though, that's the problem.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Noxville posted:

Also when people were recommending westerns in the last thread no-one mentioned High Plains Drifter, which owns.

What.

Someone even linked a video from it, and people talked about how they were sad to see a lack of a whip in this game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ShineDog posted:

Is there any way to get the game back to using the normal bullet time mode? I really, really dislike the "painting" type. It's far, far to easy in combat apart from when it annoyingly passes over someone I dont want to target.

Keep playing story missions, it will change again.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Any tips on the last Sharpshooter challenge? I know there have been a bunch of suggestions like going to barfights, but I can't consistently get this drat game to register the disarms (aka you hit their hand, not the gun) and deadeye keeps reloading my drat Evans repeater.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Okay, that sniper rifle suggestion is bullshit. I've tried it about 7 times now, and I keep getting gunned the hosed down because tracking is so goddamn dodgy in this game and your meter is not nearly long enough, even with Moonshine.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Maid posted:

I couldn't do it with a sniper rifle, but I had seriously no problem doing it in pike's basin with a repeater. Try that out. Just get kind of close and bring a ton of moonshine, tobacco and snake oil. It's really not super hard, and it's not like your disarm counter resets if you gently caress up and kill someone. It only resets if you change guns or reload (the deadeye reload doesnt cout obviously).

I just did it with the high powered pistol while hiding in the theater in Blackwater, but I unlock the challenge and then as soon as it starts saving, I get shot in the face and die. Respawned and the challenge is complete, but I didn't get the trophy unlock if there is one. :smith:

Hope I didn't gently caress up my game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So where is the high stakes game of Poker in Blackwater? I haven't really searched that hard for it, but after sweeping the regular table, I am itching to become the top poker player in New Austin.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Goddammit why are Elk so hard to find... found 2 earlier before I had that challenge level unlocked, now I can't find any of the fuckers. Running around Tall Trees at night sure is a great way to get 50 bears chasing you, though. :suicide:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

I found them all over western Tall Trees, particularly in the area where it slopes down to the river.

Yeah, I hunted around for 30 minutes getting them, then I was riding by the river looking for bighorns and my stupid horse somehow hit hit a bump and just bounced into the water, so I died and lost all 5 pelts. I am pissed at this point, so I ride back out to get the bighorns first, and what do I find but a herd of 5 elk just hanging out... buffalo rifle made short work of that.

Now I'm trying to knife a bear and good god it is a bitch. Tried softening it up with a body shot from the buffalo and a few shots to the face with the High Powered pistol, but he's still ripping my face off. Mainly it's that he'll get me once and before I can even stand he'll maul me again and I die. :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

No no, I'd prefer that they just PICKED A LANGUAGE.

I've spent a lot of time with second-language speakers, and no one just mixes their first language's words in with their second language, that's just silly.

edit: people sometimes mix their SECOND language's words in with their first language to show off, but that's a different issue.

The whole point of it all was that Marston can't speak Spanish. They were speaking English because they WERE speaking English to him. The Spanish had no translating subtitles because Marston doesn't understand Spanish, so it's all just Spic gibberish to him.

Also you clearly haven't spent a lot of time with Mexicans in the US, because even up here in NYC, they regularly will throw in Spanish insults or terms while speaking English. It's no different than when shithead American tourists throw in random English words while trying to BS their way through the native language when they go to Europe, which also happens regularly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well, finally got the Legend of the West outfit... honestly, it's pretty poo poo. The Duster is actually way cooler. Legend doesn't have spurs, and the sewed up rips and tears in the Duster just make it look more badass. Kind of a letdown after all that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Doc Cylon posted:

You get double dead eye regardless of whether you're wearing it or not right?

Seems like it, yeah. So how many Stranger missions are there? I just finished 15 and got the trophy, but I can't find anymore.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lord of Laughton posted:

There's 19 altogether.

I love how strong the Buffalo Rifle is. I was minding my business trying to track down some annoying skunks for master hunter. Found one finally and apparently I gibbed it with the Buffalo Rifle, since it left behind no corpse.

At 96%. Just gotta wait for those drat wanted posters to get put up.

Edit: and sharpshooter challenge. What's the best way to disarm people? Shoot the weapon instead of the hand?

19?!

Well poo poo, there's 4 I'm missing and I can't find them on the map anywhere... now I'm tempted to go riding through every friggin town looking, but half of them are out in bumfuck nowhere so that wouldn't help.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Meeble posted:

Yeah, there is one hidden in Mexico somewhere. Pretty awesome at that.

It's really easy to find, actually. If you can't find it:

Look southeast of Chuparosa, in Barranca.

I found a list of all the Stranger missions, which other missions you need finished to unlock them, and their start locations.

For your OP pleasure:

Starting Area:
"Flowers for a Lady" - complete "New Friends Old Problems"
Between Macfarlane's ranch & Thieves landing, just before Stillwater Creek.

"Let No Man put Asunder" - complete "Obstacles in Our Path"
Near Coot's Chapel, sitting on a wall near a ruined house.

"Jenny's Faith" - complete "This is Armadillo, USA"
East of Ridgewood farm, by the road next to a rock.

"California" - Complete "Women & Cattle"
Southeast of Gaptooth Breach, west of the finish line to the race.

"Water and Honesty" - complete "Political Realities in Armadillo"
On the ridge heading up to Hennigan's Stead.

"American Appetites" - complete "Political Realities in Armadillo"
Outside Sheriff's office in Armadillo

"Funny Man" - complete "Exhuming and Other Fine Hobbies"
Telegraph Office @ Benedict Point

"Who Are You to Judge?" - complete "Liars, Cheats and Other Fine Americans"
Rathskeller Fork stable

"Lights, Camera, Action!" - complete "The Sport of Kings and Liars"
Movie House in Armadillo, around the back.

"I Know You" - complete "A Tempest Looms"
South of Mescalero, along the cliff.

Mexico:
"Daedalus and Son" - complete "We Shall be Together in Paradise"
Ridge just east of Agave Viejo.

"Eva in Peril" - complete "Lucky in Love"
Behind the Cantina in Casa Madrugada.

"Poppycock" - complete "Civilization, At Any Price"
In Chuparosa, in the Town Hall where they post the Bounties.

"Love is the Opiate" - complete "Empty Promises" AND Stranger 13 "Poppycock"
Slaughterhouse in El Matadero.

"Aztec Gold" - complete "Must A Savior Die?"
Sidewinder Gulch, on the eastern end.

West Elizabeth:
"The Wronged Woman" - complete "An Appointed Time"
Inside the Church northwest of Blackwater.

"American Lobbyist" - complete "An Appointed Time"
Gazebo in Blackwater.

"The Prohibitionist" - complete "An Appointed Time" AND Stranger 17 "The Wronged Woman"
Blackwater saloon.

"Remember My Family" - complete "The Last Enemy That Shall Be Destroyed"
Blackwater train Platform.

I haven't actually gotten all of them, I found that on Gamespot's forums and cleaned it up and made the locations a little more accurate for the ones I have done.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Spitshine posted:

You seem like a very angry man. What's with the racism?

okand posted:

Cool it down mate not everyone can be an Aryan superhuman

I've been hanging out at Yale with professors too much. :haw:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

Do any other movies play at Armadillo's movie theater than the Medical Science one? If not, are there other theaters I can view other movies at?

There's another theater in the last town you get to in the game. I just watched a fun little movie about the Women's Suffrage movement there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Heh, they seemed to realize this as the story goes on, as you start to encounter more missions where they don't talk during the ride and it just gives you the option to skip to your destination.

True, but you learn a LOT about Marston in the Mexico conversations, actually. Like the fact that he has a son named Jack who is a teenager, and that he has a farm that's actually in West Elizabeth.

There's a lot of foreshadowing in this game, if you pay attention.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

They're random occurrences, so just walk around town and hope to get challenged.

For duels, you want your bar (the blue one) to be higher then your opponents bar (the red one). Targeting vital places like the head causes each shot to increase the bar a whole ton. Hitting the hand or weapon fills it up instantly. You get a number of shots equal to how many the pistol you have equipped has.

The timing on the reticule counts, too. When it's contracted and white you will fill the bar up more if you paint then vs painting when it's expanded and red. If it's contracted and white when you target their hand, it'll instantly end the duel and you'll disarm them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mastiff posted:

Wow, I'm pretty disappointed with the first treasure hunter challenge. The map shows Hanging Rock/tree in the distance of the II. drawing, but the treasure's actually butting up against the rock that the tree is on?. I feel like the drawing lead me away from the treasure rather than to it. Are they all that misleading?

Read the OP to understand how treasure maps work.

The only treasure map that was a real letdown was the one that you get from a Stranger mission. Because it's a stranger mission, the game highlights exactly where you need to go and even puts a question mark RIGHT on the treasure, despite each piece of map you get having all the drawings and such, same as the regular treasure maps. Real missed opportunity, because the treasure hunting was one of my favorite parts of the game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mastiff posted:

Nope. Don't care to, either.

You get a trophy for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lugubrious posted:

My rank 8 master hunter was a bit more frustrating (but perhaps more humorous): every single time I tried, I'd hit a bear a few times, I'd be circling around it when a second, heretofore unseen bear would leap from offscreen and tackle me, then the bear I was already fighting would close for the killing blow before I could stand.

This happened five times. "Alright bear, it's just you and meaarrghghghghhhhh not again"

I cheated and shot the bear in it's side with the buffalo rifle once, then took out my LeMat and shot it twice in one of its hindlegs so it was a little slower. It mostly ran from me, so there I was, a lone man with matted hair and a torn shirt (treasure hunter gang) with holes in his shoes, running down the side of a snowy mountain chasing a bear while flailing a knife wildly. Eventually caught up to him and managed to knife him to death, but it was a pretty hilariously ridiculous scene.

Then when I had to kill Brumas the legendary bear, I rode up to him on my horse and unloaded all 5 shells from my Auto-5 into his face. :colbert:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 1, 2010

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

I don't think you even get that option. I used the moment given to unload my Henry Repeater onto Allende's crotch, at which point Bill started saying "I'll turn my life around blah blah blah" while getting up and bringing his gun out and Reyes shot him dead.

I think he's actually asking about Escuela, which I wonder about too, actually. You can capture him and not kill him, and there's a bunch of cutscenes if you capture him like I did. I didn't try killing him, but I haven't quite gotten to the end yet (Just scouted Cochinay and rescued the Professor from town) and I was wondering if that choice makes a difference in the long run, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ez posted:

You get the option for both actually. Basically, once they're on the ground, a little text box comes up and says "Kill Bill William". Just out of curiosity, I didn't, and a cut scene eventually played where Reyes killed him. With Esquela, it just gives you the option to kill him or capture him, I chose to capture him.

I'm sure it doesn't matter, but it seems weird that they would include an alternate cutscene for not killing him if it makes no difference. I figured if you didn't kill him, he would just start shooting at you or run away and you'd fail the mission unless you did it. Just a strange little piece of the game.

Could be a segue into possible DLC territory, you never know. Probably not a full expansion, but I could see them releasing small storyline bits in the form of like 5-10 missions that are a side story or just a random add-on, and it's only like $5.99 or maybe even free. The core mechanics of the game are really elaborate and enough that there's a lot they could do, in terms of DLC and just slightly adjusting the buildings/towns and changing the year.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

I don't think he's anything but an ad agency creation.

An awesome one but a fake one

Of course he is. You know how many people are shocked and surprised to find out that the actor's name is not actually Kevin Butler, and that he is, in fact, just some actor and not actually a random employee of Sony's? You'd think that would be common sense, but no, many pubbies on PSN who are shocked and confused when I point that out would disagree with you.

Futanari Rastafari posted:

Dialogue involves two people, not just Drake Fortune talking to himself.

His name is Nathan Drake, why does everyone think his name is Drake Fortune? The subtitle of the first game was Drake's Fortune, not the character's name. That would have been retarded if it was just his name. (Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake is an exception, shutup)

Feenix posted:

You are less of a man because you can't race a wagon.

But what if he can paint a wagon? :downsrim:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

This loving explains it. Where are the goddamned ducks?

Near water. I don't think they ever land, though, they only fly around. Just listen for quacks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hal Gill username posted:

So wait a minute, are you telling me that 'VP of First Person Shooters' and 'VP of Enough is Enough' are not real jobs at Sony??

Also they seem to have taken the offending post down.

It wasn't the fake job titles that confused people, it was the fact that he wasn't actually some random Sony employee they got to do a TV spot, and the fact that his name isn't actually Kevin Butler in real life. I dunno, I guess apparently some people thought that Sony's marketing campaign was so stupid and had stopped giving a poo poo that they found some random cubicle worker, threw him in front of a camera and told him to read lines, and it actually worked, so they made an entire ad campaign around him and his name is really Kevin Butler. Who the hell knows, 95% of the internet is loving retarded.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Well, I finally got to the end, and it's come to a game-breaking halt unless I'm suddenly retarded and can't see some obvious path. Just forced Dutch off the machine gun, and I'm running around trying to get up to the higher level, but there's no way up there. Found a ladder, but that just leads to the catwalk that goes back out the gate. No way to climb up on any of these boxes, and I see no other way up. What the gently caress this sucks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

skoolmunkee posted:

I messed that one up the first time too. You head left at the first stage and climb the ladders there, and then the game sort of shows you where to go. Heading right on the burning thing doesn't go anywhere.

Yeah, for some reason I thought left was a dead end and there was a door there, but it was just a trick of the lighting. I feel like an idiot now.

Wish I could say the followup is a surprise so far, but some asshoel in this thread already spoiled it for me by not spoilertagging early on. :smith:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I just finished it... great loving game, despite having the ending sorta semi-spoiled for me. Ending credits music is awesome. I gotta say, I actually sort of bust out laughing right at the end, as Jack turns around and it just pops up RED DEAD REDEMPTION in big letters and he's got a very John expression on his face.

Sad I missed the musical interlude in Mexico. Glad I have a save right after Fort Mercer. :clint:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

And what the gently caress, I've seriously shot every animal in the game according to my stats, (yes, even ducks) and yet I didn't get the trophy. How the hell do I figure out what's missing? Killed plenty of horses both wild and domestic, too, as well as every type of bird I could find. (Hawks, Eagles, vultures, songbirds, crows, and ducks)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

Seagulls at blackwater ferry/docks

Ah HA!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

RedneckwithGuns posted:

What the point of this? I used one save throughout and never had a problem....is it a glitch or something?

I think it's for people that missed one of the stranger missions (I Know You) otherwise I don't see a point in it, and I did it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Slappy Moose posted:

Yeah, I've never won a hand. I don't play Texas Hold'em in real life so I don't loving know what the hands are and the fact the game doesn't have any kind of reference page at all really fucks me over. Also, the fact you can't just shoot the winner and take their winnings is retarded. Doesn't stop me from doing it out of spite and annoyance, though.

How does a person grow up not knowing how to play one of the two mainstay card games of our day and age? I'm being serious. I mean, if they had thrown Gin Rummy at us or something, I could understand, but it's loving poker. At least the basics of the hands is mostly common knowledge to anyone that grows up in a western country (and if you're not in a western country, then nevermind) but it's really straight forward, at least at the basic hand level, and excluding the table in Blackwater, the poker hands generally are very simplistic, for the most part, on the AI's end.

Two pair beats one pair
Three of a kind beats two pair

Seriously, if you just know that, you can easily flush out the table in Armadillo and Chuparosa. Just don't bet like a maniac when you have lovely cards. That's if you know nothing about the game and haven't learned to predict the AI in the game... if you even just know all the basic hands in poker (there's technically only 9) you can be way more aggressively than that.

• Locked thread