Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
There's a stranger supposedly in a church north east of black water. He appears on my start menu map, but when i get to the area they're nowhere to be found inside or outside of the church and nothing appears on my minimap.

Is this bugged? What's supposed to be there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Lothire posted:

That sounds like the Political Realities In Armadillo mission. I'll give it a go, thanks.

But for referance, there are two trophies in my trophy list that are Hidden and thus have no description. There were more, but they openned up as I did the story line. Out of all the trophies in my list, this particular one does not show, so I assume is one of those two still hidden.

None of the guides referancing the trophy (gamefaqs and such) describe it needing to be a combat mission, saying simply to not hitch a horse for 20 missions, so this vital bit of info has been able to elude me.

I swear that Trophy is glitched to gently caress. I ran through all of mexico, all of black water and all of the final missions without losing my horse or hitching it and i still didnt get it. The only thing i can think of is that fast travelling via stage coaches fucks it up because that's the only other thing i did involving horses/travelling.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

MORE END GAME SPOILERS:

The funny man (I think that's what its called) delivery mission is interesting because the British guy tells you it took you a long time to deliver his opium (3 years), but the dude your father buys the prostitute from, when confronted, acts like you are the one who bought her freedom. Jack or whatever his name is even says he wants HIS money back.

Yeah, I basically did no side missions till after the ending.

It's fairly obvious that they only rewrote some of the stranger missions.

As much as i do like this game, i cant help but feel that it's rather shallow and fraught with minor annoyances.

The biggest of which (and which just killed me) is the weapons wheel and it's not pausing of the game. It's a minor inconvenience if you've only got 1 of each kind of weapons but it's a huge pain in the rear end if there's a cougar or a grizzly (or anything dangerous really) bearing down on you and you need to press the weapon wheel, rotate to the weapon type you want and then hit the d-pad to try finding the weapon you want all while the enemy is still bearing down on you quickly. I get that there's the pause menu weapon select, but that's a round about pain in the rear end and using that defeats the purpose of even haveing the weapon wheel. It's not a major game breaking gripe, but it's loving retarded none the less.

Then there's the content. Yeah, we've got a load of interesting story missions, but when it comes to activities, there really isnt that much. By the time you're out of armadillo, you've pretty much seen that majority of the variety of content in the game.

Hideouts are more or less the same all over the map. Picking flowers are more or less the same all over the map, bounties, jobs, shops, hijacks, fake hijacks, horse thieves, shop thieves, duels and so on and so forth are all the same all over the map. It's like one large settlement that's been stretched out into a world map by paddng the poo poo out of it with lots and lots and lots of desert.

Don't get me wrong, i liuke it and all because i like sandbox games, but there sure as hell isnt much that's going to compell me to replay all of this again.

Also, what's the deal with your ranch at the end. There is clearly poo poo set up for minigames like poker and horseshoes but there's nothing there. Was there some kind of plan for you to earn money and build up the ranch that was cut?

BonoMan posted:

What am I missing about Liar's Dice? It seems loving retarded. You're not calling anybody's bluff because everyone is really just guessing. We had a similar game called Bullshit, but it was based on cards. And that way when someone claimed they had something you COULD call their bluff because you could possible have, say, 3 aces and they say they have 2. Thus it wouldn't add up and you call bullshit.

However with Liar's Dice..anybody can have anything and it's not until it gets down to 1 or 2 dice a piece that you can really tell if anybody's lying. It's loving stupid.

It's actually the easiest of the games to win. You just have to play strategically and work out the odds. Each person has 5 die to begin with and each die has a 1/6 chance of being whatever number they've called. Look at your die then try and figure out if it sounds likely that their call is plausible.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 28, 2010

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

William Pahllace posted:

Awesome spoiler tags you gently caress. Everyone here has been so good about spoilering stuff to make the game really enjoyable for those of us who are taking our sweet rear end time and then, here comes you...

What exactly did i spoil fucktard? The ranch that the main character says he has and continually talks about from the beginning of game or the fact that this game is very very vacant of varying content?

edit: threw it in spoilers for people who arent paying attention to the game they're playing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

Although he talks about his past throughout the game, I think it's fair that someone would be annoyed to find out prematurely that in the end, he does return to a happy family life (albeit for like 2 days).

Only a loving idiot would be annoyed about finding out about something the game has been beating you over the head with since you're first rescued by Bonnie.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Lilac posted:

I've just arrived in mexico, and I have to say I'm getting pretty lukewarm towards this game. Sure, if you loved san andreas more than anything in the world ever this might be a fantastic game, but if it weren't for some of the characters, I'd probably trade it in for a gift card or something.

Objectively, compared to the previous rockstar sandbox games, there isn't that much in this, which is why you've got a lot of people easilly 100%ing it within a week or two of owning it.

The towns are very small and at most contain the same shops with the same wares as every other place and all of the distance between them is vacant desert with a spot of wildlife running about.

The missions were good, and the hunting simlator is not bad, but just about everything else is passable at best.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I don't know. I don't think the game has less than the GTA games at all. I think the reason more people are 100%ing it has more to do with the fact that there aren't any bullshit hidden packages/pigeons etc. Sure, there's the herb collecting and the hunting, but there's nothing that makes you follow a map guide step by step, only to find out that you've missed one along the way, and now have 243/244 bullshit collection items.

I know that's why I've never bothered completing a GTA game before, anyway.

It's more than just hidden packages. The GTA games had a greater variety of vehicles, activities, scenery, characters, vehicle stunts, hidden world items and bugger knows wht else i'm forgetting and in most cases didn't feel like a bunch of "the same shops" copy pasted all over the map separated by desert.

Also, because that rockstar social site is playing up what exactly should my stats read for bounties in regards to 100%

I've done all the challenges, bought all the homes and guns, completed all the missions an all the strangers, won all the minigames and done all the jobs. I have 98.9% and my bounty list reads:

New Austin - 8
Nuevo - 2
West Elizabeth - 4

What should those three numbers end up at to get the 100%?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Getting to $5000 Wanted level on Free Roam is a sonofabitch.

To everyone not digging the game, straight up, go trade it in and post in another thread. There's honestly nothing anyone can say here that's going to change your opinion if the game hasn't blown you away yet.

You do the $5000 bounty in single player not multi.

This also isn't gamefaqs or North Korea and as such those of us who aren't willing to saunter over to Rockstar to give them a little ball tickle with their complementary fanboy cocksuck can post whatever the hell we please.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Well, i'm stumped as to why i don't have 100% as i have:

57 completed missions;
20 bounty locations 8/8/4;
94 Map locations;
5 rare weapons;
9 outfits;
5 jobs done;
13 homes/savepoints owned;
7 gang hideouts done;
6 mingames won;
All of the challenges done;
18 strangers met/done;

Yet i'm only on 99.5%.

Another forum i've read mentions that the "i know you" stranger doesnt count as one of the strangers, but i still have 18 listed in my stats anyway. Do i need to have 19 listed there?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Finally popped that 100%. I was missing the Aztec gold stranger mission.

Now the only single player achievements i have left are the one where you have to kill 500 people with the mounted gun, kill every animal (i should nearly be done) and escape from the law on one of those white horses.

What value of bounty do i need in order to do that one? I tried just killing a cop in blackwater and escaping on the horse but that didn't give me anything.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Burro (donkey) Default
Lusitno nag (Level 4)
Turkmen (Level 8)
Cleveland Bay(Level 22)
Hungarian Half-Bred (Level 33)
American Standard Bred (Level 40)
Bonzo (Level 50)
Buffalo (Legend 1 Level 50)
Albino Buffalo (Legend 2 Level 50)
Super Bull (Legend 3 Level 50)
Zebra Donkey (Legend 4 Level 50)

What the gently caress were Rockstar smoking when they thought that people would Legend 4 times in this game. There's barely enough content to keep it interesting past level 20 and grinding to 50 four times is World of Warcraft level retarded.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I'm looking for someone to cheese the "go team" and "the quick and everyone else" achievements in the multiplayer mode. The games are abysmally dull but it's possible to easilly and quickly nail the achievements with 2 people.

GT is remnantkin

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Finally down to one last multiplayer achievement, getting to level 50. Man that is going to be a loving grind :(

It probably wouldn't be so bad if the challenge rewards were actually scaled in proportion to the level exp requirements. Rank 3 challenges are only dropping about 250XP in some cases.

How they honestly expect to people to level up to 50 five times or so, even with a stream of DLC is beyond me, especially as a lot of parts of it seem like no-one actually playtested the damned thing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

FishBulb posted:

Best way to get EXP is just to grind Gang Hideouts or be really really good at PvP

I've seen at least 4 people with Zebra Donkeys already too.

Yup, but even when blasting through a hideout on the 360, on average you'll pull from 700-1200 which is a lot of replays if what i've read is true and level 50 requires 337110xp.

Also, those people with the zebra donkeys are probably using hacked saves. I came across a bunch of people today using one.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Go online, head to El Presidio, clear it out and throw explosives around until you get a Wanted level, mount one of the cannons (preferably one by the big gate near the front) and start killing.

Took me about an hour.

I just gave this a go and found that i was only able to rack up about 150 kills in an hour because the AI for the marshals is so loving buggy. They'd either get stuck in cliff walls way off in the distance (i opened up the map and watched them run and bounce off of walls continuously) or they'd get stuck on the walls of the fort.

The best and possibly quickest way to do this is probably with two people. One on the northernmost canon mopping up anyone coming in the back door and one on the minigun by the front one. That should force the marshals to spawn in locations that don't get them stuck and should keep both of you safe from any cheeky fucker who somehow gets inside the fort.

Edit: as i mentioned to some goons last night, i wish that rockstar would get around to cobbling together some kind of sim economy system for their games. In this case, once you finish the game, you've got a nice tidy sum of money but bugger all to spend it on. How about you let me run my loving ranch. Start off by letting my buy cattle and horses and poo poo, then using them to produce goods to sell and from there hiring staff to do the mundane bollocks or act as security. Let me earn enough cash to upgrade the ranch and poo poo so that it even surpasses that one at the beginning.

Hell, let me buy that ranch and the other cities and then enhance them. Let me make enough money to buy out that lovely abandoned town and slowly renovate it into paradise.

Call it: Red Dead Tycoon!

Kin fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 1, 2010

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Snailor Moon posted:

That isn't even remotely as bad as some of the missions in San Andreas. And the good/bad mission ratio is a whole lot better in Red Dead if you ask me.

The only lovely things for the missions in Red Dead are the ones where you're forced to trot at a snail's pace with some AI buddy as you make your way over to a specific location. 90% of the loving game is that and sometimes i just want to get a mvoe on you know.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

A shrubbery! posted:

Seriously, this game isn't meant for racing from checkpoint to checkpoint.
Take your time, sit and chill around the campfires and listen to a story, have a drink and play some cards in the saloon or find a nice spot and watch the sunset. It's a beautiful game to look at and loses a lot of its charm when you charge cross-country because that's the direct route to the blue dot on your minimap.

As has been brought up numerous times, when most of the dialogue is just the same rehashed stuff over and over again, i don't particularly care about having to listen to it. There should be the option of riding along with them and having the yellow map point be there for you to say "screw this inane drivel" and ride off to it at an appropriate speed.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont understand why people complain about this not having any replay, just about all previous GTAs had no replay other than running around finishing lose ends and randomly killing people. Lets say you pump 35 hours into it and a few hours into multiplayer. That comes to about 1.50 an hour of enjoyment and you can still sell the game to recoup more money.

You sell it for 35 bucks, and it comes to 70 cents an hour of gametime.

I think it's because postgame, in a lot of the GTA games (not 4) there's usually still a whole lot of stuff left to do. There isnt that much in Red Dead so once you finish the story you're left scratching your head on what you could possibly do next. It's worse for those of us who 100% it because, really, lassooing and shooting people gets old pretty quickly.

Like i mentioned a few pages ago, Rockstar need to start getting into the habit of turning their postgames into some kind of Sims like sandbox. This game would have been perfect for buying and building up your ranch and slowly creating a business empire/establishing settlements in the wild west once you'd finished the main storyline. If you could do that in a realtime online setting too then even better.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Pres posted:

Is there a metatag for Euro goons? I'm picking this up tonight

No, but it would be handy. Although i fear it's a little too late in the launch for us to make one as i get the distinct impression that most of us who have had the game for the last 2 weeks are now a little tired of the multi player.

Although i want that last damned achievement for getting to level 50 so a goon posse of 8 would rip through some of those gang hideouts in no time. It's just a shame that every time i jump on with some of you, you're more interested in griefing pubbies which is... boring as gently caress and doesn't really achieve anything.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

transient posted:

It's not labeled correctly in the OP, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that WesternEuros is what you're looking for.

I think i misread that in the op and thought it was westcoast goons. Nevertheless, what's the login/email for it as it's not listed in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Omnicarus posted:

So I finally found the ninja stranger mission where the guy in the hat starts telling you about how he's spied on you then takes off like a phantom. He wants me to go stop a guy from cheating on his wife. Wonderful, now I get to ride around being a patsy for the ninja boss.

I loved this game for the first few missions but I think I'm going to take it back on my way to work this afternoon. Ninjas, swords, and apparently throwing stars(?) in a western game just bother me in a way that I can't reconcile in my head.

You do realise it isn't funny when you pretend to be in on the joke?

• Locked thread