Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I finally played this because my new roommate had it. I ended up finally beating it tonight after playing on and off for a couple of weeks. I had the usual problems that other people have with it; full of padding, topics are repeated over and over again like John has some kind of short-term amnesia, most Stranger missions end pointlessly with no tangible reward, point or even a joke (Aztec Gold, the one about the whore, etc), and nearly every mission consisted of a long horse-ride complete with long conversation and ended with you crouching behind a rock and effortlessly killing twenty people. Still, I enjoyed it, though I found the biggest slog to be West Dickens and friends' unending series of side missions in the most boring area of the game with the real fun not starting until Mexico.

I thought the most unintentionally hilarious part of the story is Marston being taken completely by surprise when the Mexican army 'betrays' him, right after I had just finished a series of missions with the rebels that culminated in me killing hundreds of soldiers and rescuing the captured leader of the rebellion. If anything, they should have tried to kill me a lot sooner. And really, why didn't they just shoot me in the face at Allende's mansion instead of setting up an elaborate trap in Chuparosa?

Thought about starting over and going full evil, mostly because outfit/challenge hunting post-game as the high-pitched, goateed dumb motherfucker Jack lacks appeal, plus that dark horse seems pretty badass, and for all the work they put into making it look cool and unique Thieves' Landing is used maybe twice in the entire game, so it'd be interesting to have a reason to make it a home base of sorts. It seems that just by playing the game normally (doing jobs and such) you're going to get honor thrown at you though, and helping the sheriff chase down rustlers then turning around and killing the next three random people you meet to offset that seems kind of...schizophrenic. Is it worth it? Do you have people quaking in fear of you by the time you get to West Elizabeth instead of greeting you as the Hero of Kvatchlegendary John Marston? Does Death chide you humorously for being such a dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Agreeing that Mexico is the best part. I also really liked the aesthetic of New Elizabeth but it was ultimately pretty short and barren. Also agreeing that New Austin is the weakest part; you probably play a dozen or so bad tutorial missions, the map is comparatively dull (outside of Thieves' Landing), and you don't start getting fun weapons until Mexico.

Peas and Rice posted:

Whenever I've tried it, it's usually full of people cheating, which makes zero sense to me. Who plays a mostly-dead 5-year-old multiplayer game with cheats on? How the gently caress is it fun to grief the occasional person looking for a fair game?

You think that's crazy, when I was futilely trying to get both RDR and GTAIV to sync with my Rockstar Social Club account I found out that there were a handful of people still playing multiplayer on The Lost And Damned and Ballad of Gay Tony.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

It's strange, the more I think about this game's plot the more I dislike it. It's like an even more depressing GTAIV, in that terrible poo poo keeps happening for no reason and then the ending is one big borderline nonsensical gently caress-you.

But on the other hand: riding a horse around sweeping vistas, spending the better part of an hour loving around playing poker, recovering a stolen safe from a group of bandits only to immediately turn around and steal that poo poo yourself, all of that is great, and I enjoyed it to the point that the idea of going back and doing an 'evil' playthrough (dark horse, primarily bartering and living out of Thieves' Landing, constantly on the run from the law, murdering all the strangers who do nothing but waste your goddamn time) holds great appeal, and it would at least give an excuse for the ending playing out the way it does. The idea of playing Jack as a good person in contrast to everyone else also seems amusing, but I never really play games after the ending, for whatever reason, even if most of my fun comes from loving around, completing challenges, etc.

Having said that, is Undead Nightmare worth it? It's only like $7.49 on the PSN right now, but I worry when they say that bullets are scarce (melee is garbage in Rockstar games), stuff like shops as well as the majority of outfits and items have been taken out, and that there are only a handful of actual story missions.

Also, while I'm posting this, LA Noire is also $7.49. Worth it? I heard the sandbox aspect was basically tacked on and the detective stuff is basically babby's first police procedural drama.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's a lot of fun if you can stand the bugs. Bullets aren't really scarce if you stick to deadeye headshots only and remember to loot any bodies marked by an x on the map - also be generous when saving towns because it makes it a shitload easier, and you generally get back double in the chests what you donated anyway. For $7, definitely, just be prepared for bugs.

Wow, you were not kidding about bugs. In the opening cutscene where Uncle attacks them, he was completely invisible, and when the gameplay started and I was supposed to shoot him, he was a zombie cougar. Then in the following cutscene both Abigail and Jack's models had been replaced by the same random prostitute, who proceeded to call out for it's mother and then bite itself. I was laughing so hard I had to turn it off.

No wonder this game never got a PC port.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Chalets the Baka posted:

Those weren't bugs.

Apparently it's game-breaking because you have to lasso Abigail immediately afterwards, and she too is a zombie cougar. The only solution I can find online is to reinstall and not download the latest patch. Rockstar :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I've been tinkering with Undead Nightmare, and it's pretty amusing, though without all the VAs returning you'd swear it was just someone's elaborate mod. Instead of replacing things like stores and the honor system they just stripped them out entirely, the cutscenes are brief and the actual missions scarce, and the way you get new weapons inserted into your inventory after saving a town (without even having to go back and at least hear some token "thanks for saving us, take this" from a survivor) just reeks of a rushed production. Still, it's fun enough, and there are a few little touches that I enjoy, like your safehouse at Bonnie's ranch being the jail cell and some of John's quips when he's looting the undead. I'm only a small ways into it, but it's kinda funny that so far it seems much more optimistic than the actual ending to the game, with stuff like John's heartfelt speech to his zombified family coming off ridiculous and lighthearted being in start contrast to the constant misery of the original RDR.

Quick question regarding it, though; I found my first Horse of the Apocalypse just outside Bonnie's ranch, but do the others spawn in specific areas or is it random? I'd hate to be done with the game and not even two horses deep.

I also started a new game of the original RDR just to see how well the PSN version runs, and wow did I forget what a rough start it is; a twenty-minute cutscene, another ten-minute glorified cutscene (holding a button down to keep your horse galloping while two characters talk doesn't actually count as gameplay), and then three or four tutorial missions after that. I don't think I've ever played a game with a slower start than that.

• Locked thread