Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I may be bad, but I feel good.

Beastie posted:

The answer is the Double Action Revolver because a real cowboy doesn't use any of those fancy magazine fed pistols.
:arghfist: :clint:

:clint::hf::clint:

That's what I'm talking about. Let's ride.

Seriously though, a double-action revolver is probably one of the most significant advancements in personal firearms up to the advent of magazine-fed handguns, since it overcomes the slower ROF of previous revolvers.

I'm no expert

e2: Quoting for those who might have missed it in THE OLD THREAD~

muscles like this? posted:

Finished Mexico today and celebrated by watching The Proposition (since it's on Netflix Instant Watch and in HD.)

My favorite gun in the game so far is the Double Action Revolver.

gently caress yes. Thank you. I've heard all about it in THE OLD THREAD but now I can watch it! :woop:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
Also, OP is missing awesome westerns (movies) suggestions that everyone was sharing in THE OLD THREAD, imo.

e: that said, have we also already noticed that John Hillcoat (director of The Proposition) is the director of the RDR short this weekend? :woop:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 28, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Zero Karizma posted:

As much as I like this game, I've got one complaint. The opening cutscene was so god drat over-the-top "painting the picture of ignorant people" that I was very worried about the writing in this game. Even though the rest of the story has been fine, that train ride into town left a bad taste in my mouth. I usually have no problem with Rockstar's writing.

Someone mentioned this very thing on the Giant Bomb podcast and I was so drat excited that I wasn't the only one.

I felt just as sketchy as you did about it when I first played, but quickly forgot :)

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

dyzzy posted:

Sounds like you led the horse to water and made him drink. :v:

I've done a similar thing. After getting the second treasure off the cliffs at Rio del Lobo, I walked down to the riverside, whistled, and my horse cheerfully charged off the top and died. I guess I have only myself to blame.

:downsrim:

Water's pretty bad, but I still think the best/worst horse deaths are when you call your horse only to watch it careen off a cliff to try to get to you. At least it rolls down to you in the end :unsmith:

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

Try watching your bounty-laden horse panic after being shot and dive off a cliff :pwn:

Similarly, laying hogtied bounties random people on the backs of random horses, and then firing shots into the air causing the horses to panic and flee/fall off cliffs is hilarious. Bye bye! :haw:

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
Haha that was awesome.

I was watchin' the old lady play some RDR on her account, and she took on her first bounty - it was dramatic as gently caress! Now, I've played the game almost inside and out, but watching her do the bounty had me on the edge of my seat just because I knew she was still getting a handle on the controls and combat. Of her own work, she managed to weed out all the henchman, and laid chase to the bounty. He got a hard head start on her while she was fighting the initial henchmen off, and the chase lasted miillless across the grassland, into the north eastern swamps. She finally got close enough to lasso him (trusty ol' Kentucky Saddler) and was about to dismount her horse to hogtie him, when a fuckin' cougar comes running up and slashes the guys horse! She freaks out (because shes seen what a bastard they are when I play) and I go "SHOOT IT AHHHH!" and she fairly effectively fumbles the weapon wheel off the lasso to the revolver and manages to kill it (within six shots :colbert:). During this, the bounty had rolled over and gotten to his feet - we realized it at the same time while she was fighting off the cougar - he's stealing the horse! She goes to shoot him, but I tell her to buck him off instead, so she holsters her pistol and whistles and sure enough he gets bucked off - but he's got a good lead! She's sprinting after him, but he manages to climb to his feet again and steal the horse again, this time unable to be bucked off.

He escapes into the setting sun to live another day.

It's a hard knock life out here, babe. Welcome to Red Dead Redemption :clint:

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Jedrick posted:

Thanks to the FOX short I now know that Fort Mercer has a trans-dimensional portal to Tumbleweed Mansion, should help in Free Roam.

I noticed this too, lol. What a strange 'plot' edit.

Was anybody else left sort of scratching their head after watching the animated short? I thought it was bad. In fact, watching the 30 second commercial for the game pumped me up more than the 30 minute short. I'm no director, but I just felt like they made some strange choices with the scenes and dialogue. Also, did any of you notice at the point where they're about to assault Fort Mercer and are all standing on a hilltop, that the Irish guy was randomly there (random to the show, since he wasn't introduced at all in it)? Like we the viewers are watching a scene entirely of characters that we know and have been introduced to in the short (the Marshall, his deputies, Dickens, Marston, etc) and then this randomly disheveled bum (the Irish guy) with a big rear end beard and torn clothes. Things like that actually really turned me off to the short. John Hillcoat being the director did nothing for it. In fact, I literally just assume Hillcoat just slapped it together to get it over with. I thought it was going to be so much better.

Anyways.

A shrubbery! posted:

More shameless advertisement, if anybody wants to raise some hell in freeroam, add PSN TheUsagi21

Also, any tried-and-tested griefs?

Trampling! Get a few buddies together and mercilessly trample pubbies over and over from all directions. It's loving hilarious.

Fuzz posted:

The whole point of it all was that Marston can't speak Spanish. They were speaking English because they WERE speaking English to him. The Spanish had no translating subtitles because Marston doesn't understand Spanish, so it's all just Spic gibberish to him.

Also you clearly haven't spent a lot of time with Mexicans in the US, because even up here in NYC, they regularly will throw in Spanish insults or terms while speaking English. It's no different than when shithead American tourists throw in random English words while trying to BS their way through the native language when they go to Europe, which also happens regularly.

You seem like a very angry man. What's with the racism?

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Boring posted:

woo hoooooo finally found dogshit rock aka the treasure in map 5!!!

treasure hunting is truly the most gratifying thing in this game.

I'm still looking for that pile o feces :(

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
Beavers - Found em by the dozen out in the vicinity of Aurora Basin. That whole snowy river line I saw em running about in the morning and afternoon. Hope it helps somebody :keke:

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
Hey! Let's get some Soloman's Folly grind going. I'm getting on right now, so any PSN users that want to get their mindless grind on in a ginormous posse that clears hideouts in roughly 40 seconds @ ~1300XP p/run, get in this poo poo.

Rawdawg_

Also,

roffle posted:

For rank 10 survivalist I just did it while I was doing other poo poo. You see a flower, pick it. I think it would have felt like a lot longer if I'd actively been searching out all 10 varieties of flowers. Except for the 10 violet snowdrops, it's something that you'll probably complete most of during the normal course of dicking around shooting birds which is essentially all I do in this having beaten the storyline

Rank 10 Survivalist wasn't hard at all. Just do a little research on where all the flowers are, get a bitchin' covered wagon and leisurely cruise around the awesome countryside picking flowers and busting caps.

And if this is in Single Player with the Survivalist Map available, then there's just no excuse to whine at all. :colbert: I did Survivalist 7-10 yesterday in MP without a hitch - not trying to sound like a douche, just saying...

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 1, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Mister Bung posted:

I seem to have taken a retarded step back in Dueling.

Is it a story-related character? Sometimes, you're "forced" to kill them (ie: disarm won't work).

Kin posted:

You do realise it isn't funny when you pretend to be in on the joke?

Pages back, but I'm surprised nobody caught onto him. He knew you guys were loving around the whole time, and all his naive responses were intentional trolls. Gj though.

5er posted:

Endgame- I felt a grim satisfaction putting eight rounds in Ross' face, from the very gun he handed to Jack's father. Felt like I made a choice that contributed to the story.

Philip J Fry posted:

Even better, I used the high powered pistol -- the gun that Ross gives John in Blackwater.

I did the same thing, and it felt fuckin glorious. The subtlety of it was much more satisfying than any other weapon would have been. I liked the implication that with Ross' smarmy attitude in handing John the weapon, he couldn't have known that that exact firearm would be his (and in my case, his family's) undoing. Woop.

All that said, I find it pretty easy and enjoyable to follow along in immersion in this game, so I really enjoyed the story and felt that the final "hours" of the game were loving epic. Especially Dutch's portions, and then the loving raid on Beecher's Hope :aaaaa: Frantically fighting from all sides with his family caught in the mix was intense as hell

Finally, I really think that the VA for John Marston (and the dialogue written for him) was incredible, and really was able to help the game soar during it's already strong parts. I'm glad I bought this game, and I'm less than 20 levels from my Buffalo now :unsmith:

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
edit: ^ You have to kill him. If you're ever unable to disarm someone, it's usually because it's a story-related character that you're "expected" to kill.

Sioux posted:

Can you mute individual players or shut down voice comms altogether? I hate the constant crying about getting shot or the background mouthbreathing from some players.

The same way you handle posse connections, "Mute" is an option on a given player.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

porktree posted:

I'm chillaxing in Mexico, I've been using the same horse that I got from Bonnie - I'm whoring for the 20 missions same horse achievement, but I'm starting to wonder if it's ever going to arrive?

Soooo, if I buy a horse, does it automagically replace my current horse? Can I 'own' more than one horse at a time and pick the horse I use for a mission? I roped a sweet looking horse in Mexico, broke him, and the game 'saved' as if I'd done something special. I let the horse go because I don't want to switch horses in the middle of the river, so to speak.

tldr; dammit explain horses to me I enjoy asking questions that are answered in the OP and within five two pages of my post, TIA.

sup fixed glad I could help

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 2, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

merk posted:

There will probably be a DLC with some pre-content surrounding John's involvement with the gang.

No no no! Rockstar, if you're listening, DONT DO DLC WITH THIS. Do a prequel game next where we get to play John's brutal past :rock:

and gangbang Abigail :quagmire:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 2, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

Yeah I had the same thing happen: They all go "You've got experience setting stuff up like this right? Of course you do, now do it!" So I just kinda guessed where to set the explosives. I was waiting for the people in the back to go over the first one, and then I could go BOOM BOOM BOOM and maybe get all of them. Of course Luisa flipped out, told me I blew it, and everyone fired. Thanks a lot. Apparently you need to start blowing up once the first people go over the first one and the way I had it set up made the rest of the explosives useless if I did that.

Heh, the thing that made me chuckle was that I've actually been trained in preparing an explosive-based ambush, and she said I hosed it up too :v: So I dumbed it down the second time and just placed them in a line on the center of the road, and realized that she's intending the wagons to be destroyed by the explosives as a priority, and doesn't really care about you waxing the entire convoy in one go. So if that doesn't happen perfectly, then she'll bitch about it. I guess I/We were over thinking it :haw:

liquidypoo posted:

You guys should try the multiplayer dead eye with throwing knives :laugh:

I think it was you that showed me this yesterday and I kept doing it to that pubbie fag SH4DOW_TR4C3UR (shafordow!) while he was trying to snipe me with the Rolling Block @ like 400m LOL. It really is OP since you can mark and shoot that fast.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
:siren: MP Solomon's Folly (PS3 Exclusive Hideout) PVP Protipzzzz: :siren: (AKA How to be a Dead Eye-Whoring/Camping/Posse-Protecting rear end in a top hat/Badass)

Alrighty - I'm pretty sure I've discovered that the Ammunition/Dead Eye chest campsites are a triggered spawn, and they only show up for you, unless another player has triggered it in that same spot for themselves as well. I've also discovered/determined the most ridiculously effective way to police your posse's ownership of the Soloman's Folly hideout if people are coming around trying to poo poo it up. If you're familiar with that hideout, you know the routine of it glitching spawns, causing everyone else to have to ride out past the tracks to reset it, right? This area concept is key to slapping noobs. From here, I'll describe the process with blurry cellphone pictures and some elite shooping!

==========

You've noticed a flock of nooblets trying to harass your awesome XP farming group @ Solomon's. You're not going to loving just roll over and let them pwn you while breathing heavily and laughing prepubescently into their mics, ARE YOU? Of goddamn course you're not.

It's ownin' time :clint:

• Step One A:

Your back is to the Solomon's Folly Gang Hideout. Depicted with a GREEN X is where the Ammunition and Dead Eye chest campsite will spawn. Depicted with the RED ARROW is the "route" you're going to take that will trigger the campsite.

• Step One B:

A closer look

• Step Two:

Here, we have ridden up the side of the hill a small ways. The biggest cue as to when you've "done it right", is basically when the music stops. This means you're out of the "instance", and are no longer a participant in the hideout. In this picture, we have "done it right" and are looking down from our pedestal of triumph on the battlefield that we are about to make our bitch. Notice I've triggered the ammo/DE campsite, depicted with a GREEN circle.

• Step Three:

This picture annotates the Soloman's Folly PLAYER spawn points. This is important for rival posses/players that are actually entering the Hideout to try to mess with your homies. This is also an important perch because it's the main thoroughfare for the SF Hideout.

On this hill, you're NOT a participant. Stepping down this hill, however will likely count you as a participant. This location is semi-important because it also means that you're not subject to the Hideout-imposed aiming system** If you're using Casual/Normal aim, this will allow you to be able to snap-aim against the n00bs that are trying to poop in your cereal. It's also important because if you're fighting "as a participant", you could be killed by the Walton's Gang, or even randomly restarted if the group going through completes it and chooses "Restart". FYI, randomly teleporting around and getting big menus in your face isn't conducive to slapping around other people in PVP :eng101:

** When participating in Gang Hideouts, RDR MP restricts Casual and Normal aim settings against other players, to help facilitate the cooperation between posse's in the completion of the hideout - ie: You won't auto-target players in another posse

Some Notes:

• At long distance, you can't see the player's model without a scope. However, the player model is *always* located directly under the colored symbol on their name. Always. Use that to gauge your target's approximate location for long distance Dead Eye.

• Dead Eye is an incredible tool in Multiplayer PVP. Not only does it allow you to place shots, it allows you to goddamn rapid fire in perfect accuracy, with any weapon, for as many rounds as that weapon has loaded - this can prove extremely important in medium-long distance gun battles regardless of what aiming-mode you play in. That said, the significant advantage of having an "infinite" supply of ammunition and DE at your feet is obvious.

• Dead Eye combat is capable of pinpoint accuracy, even through the smallest holes. Case in point - from the spot I depicted in the guide, I was able to kill an enemy player that was hiding in the upper level of the Solomon's Folly barn through a hole between two boards. I couldn't even see him, just his name. I DE waved my cursor over him until I marked him three times. Zing.

• Dead Eye will always paint animals, regardless of who's riding it - Why try to snipe the enemy's/your buddy's horse, when you can Dead Eye it? :v:

Hope this helps some people get more comfortable with Red Dead PVP, because it's a very aggressive means to control your territory and help protect your buddies. Once you get comfortable with your controls and paying attention to enemy colored dots on the minimap/radar, you'll be able to battle-track everything going on around you. Advanced situational awareness coupled with the ammunition and Dead Eye location @ SF, a single player can effectively dominate multiple adversaries in literally seconds. My personal record as of yesterday was killing six rival players within five seconds as they were attempting to grief my Solomon's XP posse.

Ever since I figured these tactics out, I've never had to Find A New Free Roam to avoid griefers. My buddies and I have managed to stand our ground and out-grief, out-kill, out-absolutely bitchslap anyone that came to gently caress with us @ Solomon's.

If you've rolled with Rawdawg_ in PVP/XP @ Solomon's, you know what I'm talkin about :clint:

PS: Couple this with liquidypoo's hilarious tactic of Dead Eye Throwing Knives, and you'll be able to out-grief the griefers with a quickness. Nothing pisses off a bully more than killing him with a throwing knife from 300 yards away while he fails to snipe you :v:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 4, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Pretty much. I will regret saying this, but the legendary mounts would be nice if they were included in one of the DLCs. I know Rockstar put a lot of work into the titles but they were running low when it came to pursuading people to play forever. A 10G for an achievement to prompt people to go back to zero is just lame.

Personally, I found it worthwhile to at least hit +50 for the Buffalo. With that, I've got all the mount variation I need :clint:

i still use the American Standardbred anyways

e: This Tokubetsu fella had better juss' git. We don't like his kind 'round here /spits

VVV Haha, that's badass :)

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 6, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
This. loving. GAME!

Recently got back into it after my at-launch initial very leisurely and thorough campaign completion as a goody-two-shoes. Had good inherent replay value anyways, but my bonus code didn't work at launch, so running through the game again for the hell of it using Golden Guns (only!!) and Deadly Assassin with Expert Aim and No Hud as a broke rear end Desperado getting ripped off in the towns and fighting off Bounty Hunters and Lawmen + Special Forces at least twice a day, day in and day out on horseback while maintaining a $10,000+ bounty and being a vagabond is loving awesome. Waking up in the middle of the night because a posse of bounty hunters with a pack of dogs are cresting the hill is goddamn :clint:

And that's just the vanilla game.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

Don't forget - free Savvy Merchant and Expert Hunter DLC out tomorrow. :)

That comes out today? FFFUUUUCCCCKKKKK YES :clint:

R* should be the posterboy for how to handle and maintain a game. I love this company more and more every game.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Hungryjack posted:

When little boy Jack went up to Nekoti rock [...] I killed the bear with only the knife

Owns. I'm totally going to do that on my next playthrough.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Eggplant Ronin posted:

I'm not too clear on this one requirement for saavy merchant: Do you just need to win $1000 in some way, or do you need to get that total winnings stat to $1000?

It clearly says "total", goofball. So have won a cumulative amount.

Capn Beeb posted:

Ah crap. My gambling wins are in the toilet, where should I go to increase them quickly?

Also will unlocking the costumes carry over to different saves?

The easiest way to win at poker is to wear the Elegant Suit so you can cheat. Get the hang of cheating to manage high card hands. Fold anything you're not comfortable with, and play effective hands. If you're not so hot on your poker skills, just familiarize yourself (the googles) with what winning hands look like, and work with those. Fold anything you're not comfortable with, and play your strong hands. It's pretty foolproof, even if you're just an average player, like myself. When it gets down to 1-2 opponents, call/check the first couple turns to feel them out. At that point, they play very conservatively and will fold easily if you raise or bet too aggressively. The game slows down a bunch at that point, because the pot won't get too big unless the opponents have basically a surefire hand, so it'll be a lot of back and forth small pot wins until someone busts.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
GODDAMNIT.

I'd been replaying the game as the dirtiest down low desperado I possibly can. I've been slow going on the campaign because there's so much other awesome stuff to do in this game (robbing banks and the ensuing shootouts are :clint: as gently caress) - By the time I started working with Seth, I amassed a loving $18,000 bounty, and was loving the desperado life. Get woken up in the middle of the night by packs of mounted bounty hunters with dogs. Ambushed out in the wild by US Marshals while I'm hunting. Dramatic bank robberies and getting completely surrounded by dozens of po-po while I make a stand that even Leonidas could appreciate. I was smug as gently caress.

...And then Seth makes me use a pardon letter to finish a mission.

Hard earned $18,000 bounty, gone because they wanted to teach the player how to use a pardon letter. I still can't believe it. My criminal streak was loving incredible until that point - over 350 law enforcement killed, dozens of kidnappings, horse-jackings, safes cracked, robberies, executions, animal slaughter, terrorizing townsfolk, extensive vandalism, train-borne shootouts, chicken kicking, bar room massacres... AHHHH :(

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 13, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Haha so true. Last night I was running around killing poo poo to get Vittles and a cougar jumps out at me. I put three rounds into his face, then walk up to skin him. I think for a second then go into Dead Eye and my wife goes "What the hell are you doing?" I turn around and put three more rounds into the face of the one that's just about to rear end rape me from behind and my wife goes :aaa:

And I'm all :clint:

That's why dem wimmins needs to juss mind their manners while the men are DOING WORK :smug:

Party Plane Jones posted:

One time when I was capturing a bounty I lost 8 successive horses to bear attacks while bringing the guy back. It took an hour but by god I got him to jail alive. :clint:

This. It's unscripted and epic (in the classical sense) adventures like this that really spitshine an already wonderfully crafted experience.

BiscuitErsedRenton posted:

Never in the help did I ever see anything about robbing banks. Didn't even know you could do that.

Well, I'm still poking around with it, but I know for a fact that you can rob Armadillo's bank silly, and it's always fun. Doing it in the daytime through the front door with a sawed-off shotgun and bandit mask is always exciting, especially fighting off all the lawmen that try to thwart your plans. Sometimes it's easy pickins with the clerk being scared shitless with his hands in the air... But other times old Johnny Law security actually shows up for his shift behind the desk, and finds himself at his moment of truth on the business end of Marston's 8g doublebarrel. Some days, you just shoulda stayed in bed.

It's also fun to do it at night when the bank's closed. You take cover by a window and pull out your gun. Trigger it, and you'll bash the glass out with an elbow, exercising some good old fashioned B&E like a true miscreant. From there (provided nobody was alerted to your less-than-graceful entry), it's smooth sailing. Line them pockets, boys!

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 13, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Eggplant Ronin posted:

The new trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeWGJ0aPwJw

Doesn't really reveal anything new plot-wise, but you get to see some new characters and the zombies in action.

I love the undead stallion at the end there! I don't even mind WHAT their explanation or tie in is for this expansion. It doesn't need one. Rockstar just knows what's loving awesome.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

davebo posted:

I just got around to installing the hunter dlc, and i already had a bunch of the stuff unlocked but needed to kill the jackalope and the cougar with dynamite. So I head to rio bravo and this cougar runs up, i soften him up with two shots, trying to kill him and hoping to blast the revenge cougar, but then he runs off. So oh poo poo, there's this wounded cougar running around that I can no logner see who REALLY hates me now. I'm real edgy and so the first rustle in the grass i see I target with the dynamite in deadeye. Turns out it's the jackalope who I blast to kingdom come! Then 2 seconds later that cougar comes back and I blast him too! I love when things just come together.

edit: then find the revenge cougar laying down licking it's paws, sniped it. Felt secure so i got off the horse to skin the jackalope and cougars, then oh poo poo second revenge cougar! I got him but i'm getting the hell out of here before I end up dead.

Haha! I love this game!

Earlier today, I woke up and decided to rob the bank in Armadillo (again; it's getting robbed like an old lady's trailer). It's night time and I've got my bandana on, crouched by the window. I throw an elbow and unceremoniously bust out the window and jump through. Two minutes later, I'm standing outside with fat pockets all :smug: and taking off my bandana, contemplating where to go next.

And then I hear a dog snarling reeeal close to me.

It's ol' Butch the Armadillo dog, and he's pissed. I wonder what it is? Eh, it's probably just some drunkard roughing up one of the ladies at the saloon. I turn and curiously walk towards where I hear the snarling dog, but it's just around the corner out of sight. As I'm turning the corner, the dog erupts in a flurry of pissed off barking, and two dark shadows dash right past me, knocking aside a metal bucket at my feet. One of them is definitely Butch, chasing what looks liiiike... a rabbit?? Tough to tell in the moonli--wait are those antlers? OH poo poo BUTCH IS CHASING MY JACKALOPE NO BUTCH WHAT'RE YOU DOING DONT KILL IT NOOOOOOO

Two Schofield .45 shots later, and ol Butch is hurt and scared... But alive. Poor bastard didn't know what in tarnation he was staring at, but he drat well knew that furry little antlered bastard wasn't right! I'll leave a note for the doc about giving Butch a look before I leave town. Hopefully the deputies were too drunk to notice the shots, and maybe the bloody, skinned animal twelve feet from Marshall Johnson's jailhouse will help explain a bit.

Who'd have thought? A jackalope running through the center of Armadillo being chased by one very loud and very pissed off old rottweiler at 3AM while I'm standing there on broken glass with my thumb in my rear end and freshly-robbed money falling outta my pockets. Okay. So it wasn't quite the professional grizzled hunter-in-a-tree-stand that I envisioned in my head, but gently caress it. I've got jackalope antlers sticking out of my saddlebags. So it'll do, John.

It'll do.

:clint:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 14, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Cabinet posted:

gently caress, I downloaded the two pre order costumes last night and messed around for a while. I start up my xbox today to get the requirements for the costumes and the game won't let me get out of Blackwater. When I go past the church the framerate slows down to slide show speed and I go through the hill. I can't turn around, call my horse or fire my gun. I tried using the fast travel but I get sent out to a brown hell that used to be Armadillo.

Has this happened to anyone else? The game worked fine last night and the disk looks fine. It's not a problem with the Xbox because I played Reach for an hour or so when I first noticed the game didn't work.

I really hope I can get it fixed before UN comes out. :(

Edit: Never mind. I loaded up a diffrent save file and it let me out of Blackwater. v:confused:v

Hm. Well, it seems like you've since figured out how to circumvent the issue by using an alternate save (thus indicating your save was corrupted some how), but I've heard others report that deleting the game (NOT your saves) and reinstalling it + patches has resolved a few similar issues for people. Might be worth considering, although it does sound like it was a corrupted save (making the point in keeping RDR Saves and deleting the Game info moot :shobon:) Whatevs, hopefully you've resolved it since.

e: Unrelated to ^ but topic wise, it sounds like this Undead Nightmare DLC is going to be absolutely phenomenal, if not for the fun of keelin zimbues, then at least for the sheer amount of additional content packed in. Rockstar continues to stand head and shoulders above it's peers in both DLC management, game concept, design, and flavor. gently caress yes.

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 14, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
God damnit. I'm trying to get my Savvy Merchant outfit unlocked, and the only thing left is $1000 in gambling. I realize that FFF is the fastest way to win the money, but I can't for the loving life of my maintain enough coordination for the four-cycle pattern @ $100 a pop. loving that up is digging me a deeper gambling hole every time. Is there any easier way to get this done in a somewhat timely fashion (in otherwords, NOT high stakes poker?) It's really pissing me off that I keep botching the patterns in FFF. The only times I win it max bet/pattern is when I somehow go on autopilot, but then the second I think about it I gently caress it up. It's really frustrating, because FFF is clearly the fastest way. Any tips?

I don't get it either, I've never been good at pattern-response games like RDR: FFF, Guitar Hero and it's ilk, DDR, etc. But I'm am absolute god at games where I'm coordinated on the fly - Like in a shooter, I'll be strategically timed and coordinated enough to kill groups of people in seconds via managing weapon switches+explosives flawlessly, like my mind is reading the changing situation and performing perfect hand-eye coordination in my controls, but when it comes to a solid pattern that I have to follow, I always gently caress it up ADHD style and my autopilot doesn't work :( It literally feels like if I stare off in the screen I'll win FFF, but the very split second my mind starts paying attention or otherwise thinking about the task at hand I gently caress it up. Couple that with a little bit of Inception mindfuck ala "If I tell you not to think about an elephant, what do you do? You think about the loving elephant."

It really is incredibly frustrating.

I noticed this weird focus thing back when Gran Turismo 2 first came out on PS1. I would do the endurance races of like 500 laps and poo poo (talking about racing mindlessly for at least an hour straight), and if I payed too much attention to it, I would wreck and botch crucial turns, and all kinds of poo poo. So I would literally start an endurance race and call my girlfriend on the phone. That way I could entirely pay attention to the conversation at hand, and it was like I would race on autopilot. I absolutely shattered records in that game by not paying attention. What is this, whatever it is, called? It has to be something. It's a blessing and a curse :(

e: I realize I got off on a tangent, but if you respond to me please don't forget to suggest me some tips about the $1000 Savvy Merchant challenge :shobon:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 14, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I had a similar thing happen to me when I was hunting elk just off the road somewhere between the plains and Tall Trees. Whatever controls spawn tables for a given location must have gone haywire. I mean, people were riding by and freaking out because that zany ol' Marston gubment man we keep reading about in the newspaper is now dressed like a wild mountain man in a badger hat and riding his little brown donkey in circles ten feet off the path shooting a gold-plated .22 in the air and occasionally shaking his bowie knife at people if they get too close, with twenty-three grizzly carcasses all around him and littering the road :allears:

Stagecoaches? Yeah, they have a hard time navigating around/over dead grizzlies.

I ended up with something loving awesome like 50+ grizzly furs/meat and about 20-ish claws, teeth, and hearts. One could say that I made a killing :downsrim: down in Meheeco. In the space of like 10-15 minutes of pure panic and tobacco spamming. John's sure to get mouth cancer after that day :(

e: Also, I never realized how exhilarating it is to get into a running gunfight in Blackwater with the Mauser and no Deadeye while wearing the Savvy Merchant outfit and bandana. Something's so action movie about using the Mauser to frantically blam blam blam blam blam in the city streets with glass busting around you, people screaming, Johnny Law surrounding you and flanking you through alleys :aaaaa:

Am I the only one that likes to use particular weapons depending on my outfit? I always go Mauser/Bolt-Action/Semi-Auto Shotgun when wearing the Savvy Merchant. I feel like some kinda mobster goon doing it. I might update it to the 1911 though now that I got it in this playthrough. It seems appropriate.

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 16, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
^ They do... Sorta. They just give certain weapons, 1 for each slot though IIRC. And not all the weapons are represented with the weapon cheats.

For the guy who wanted to know about early West Elizabeth access, I saw some youtube videos about floating stagecoaches across v:shobon:v?

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Sir Spaniard posted:

I always feel bad when I accidentally shoot a fox for some reason. They ain't never done bad to me, and they're kinda cute.

This is how I feel about bobcats. Bobcats are so drat cute in this game, because they're reeeeaaallly curious, and I always react thinking they're cougars at first. But then the little pint-sized bobcats ALWAYS come within about fifteen feet of me, and they just look at me. It's like me and the bobcat are giving each other the stink eye and waiting to see what the other's going to do. They never attack, they just run up and look at me and then scamper off. I love them :3:

VVV i dont wanna :colbert:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 16, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

I found the easiest way is to write down the button sequence and go by the sound while looking at it, instead of the screen.
Yeah, I've heard that from a lot of people, actually. Incidentally, I just got fed up with it and decided to stubbornly do it over and over and over and over until I had no choice but to get it done through muscle memory alone, guitar hero style. I had a few hiccups along the way, but in order to get out of my negatives and up to +$1000 I ended up literally doing the FFF routine over two dozen times :v: It definitely became muscle memory. Also, I'm never going to play it again.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I just saw the guy playing fetch with his dog. I ran up and shoved him on his rear end, and then his dog tried to bite me. I kicked his dog, and the man pulled out a rifle and started to shoot at me. Good thing I took cover, because the police ran up and shot the man seven times. After the shooting, the cop said "Oh, how are you, Marston?" Now the man is dead, his dog is homeless, and I'm all :smug:

Another hilarious thing to do is to shoot your Explosive Rifle in real time, but near somebody (so they don't explode), and then immediately go into Deadeye so you can see the ragdoll reacting and watch the 300-esque special slow mo action stunts

Bonus points if you shoot them (explodey) while they're dramatically spinning in the air from the first explosion :haw:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 16, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
Oh poo poo, you can clear that? That's boss as gently caress. Also, for all you people trippin on losing progress due to <event>, just do like that dude up there said - hit a horse deed in your inventory because it forces a save. Rooks. Also, Hunter outfit owns, hunting owns (more), I run out of Buffalo Rifle bullets in Tall Trees :tipshat:

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

quote:

bounties :words:
IIRC, you just have to do the character bounties until there's only ? generated bounties.

Goonfirm/Deny?

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
^ at first I interpreted that as that you were in the Korea region of RDR, and I wondered how I loving missed that the first playthrough.

(:negative:)

The good news for you?

Rockstar posted:

Also coming soon, Undead Nightmare, a single, stand-alone disc that bundles together for the first time ever, the Undead Nightmare Pack, the Outlaws to the End Co-Op Mission Pack, the Legends and Killers Pack, the Liars and Cheats Pack and all the Multiplayer Free Roam modes released to date. Undead Nightmare will be available at retail stores everywhere for $29.99/£24.99/€29.99 and does not require a copy of Red Dead Redemption to play.

HTH :cheers:

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 17, 2010

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
^ They said "everywhere", and you're somewhere, so that must count in everywhere :colbert:

I will pray for you :(

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
Ordering it online, or a friendly arrangement with someone here isn't plausible?

Spitshine
May 13, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I found one hell of a Beaver hunting spot. I was in Southern West Elizabeth (hanging around the water, east of the Serendipity) and caught them as they were spawning as I was destroying Boars. On the map, it's right on the tail of the animal. Go there around 9am-9:30 and you should see them spawning. I got six in the span of two minutes.

The nearest grassland above river-level vicinity Wreck of the Serendipity is a beaver spawn if you're there around 9AM (like you said). I found three groups of 3-5 beavers there within two minutes.

So if you need beavers, go to this guy's spot, or go to the Wreck of the Serendipity and stay up on the high ground flat lands (like where the flowers you can pick are, within 150m of the river/wreck, over the hill) @ ~9AM.

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
At what point do I make a backup save before the absolute endgame? Do I play up through And You Will Know the Truth and finalsave before the And the Truth Will Set You Free?

e: Disregard, I think I got it. Feel free to respond in case others might want to know v:shobon:v

Spitshine fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spitshine
May 13, 2004
I'm conflicted now about how I should pickup Undead Nightmare. I recently bought and downloaded all the current available DLCs for RDR, but I'm really keen on the idea of the full release hardcopy. Do we know a price range for that yet? I can't really find anything.

That would be kinda neat if they could just verify your PSN/XBL account and what DLC you've paid for (for RDR), and then let you pay a little extra for the disc/whatever DLC you don't have, and then ship you a hardcopy at a reasonable price since you already own xyz of it.

• Locked thread