Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Digital Scumbag posted:

One of the frenchmen, I guess trying to be a dick, pops up to attempt to kill my horse and gets perforated for his troubles. :smug:

Reminds me of one of my favorite David Lynch short films:

The Cowboy and the Frenchman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Is there an easy way to go back and access tutorial instructions from before?

I finally got a chance to play again and was challenged to a duel, my only one since the tutorial. I thought I remember how it worked, pulled left trigger when it said 'draw' and was instantly shot dead. Went back to see how it worked in my journal and couldn't go back that far.

Don't teach me a game skill then not require me to use it for several hours and expect me to remember without instructions. :mad:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

buyable posted:

Don't know if you can re access tutorials but all you have to do is hit left trigger when it says duel and then hit right trigger all over your opponents body when the crosshair flashes white.

Yeah, I looked up on the wiki how to do it afterwards, I was more just lamenting the fact that there's no easy in-game way to go back and access 'how do to X activity' if it's been a while since you've done it. More me bitching about game design than anything else. Bully had the same problem as I remember.

Apart from that tiny thing though this game is so loving amazing. Probably my favorite Rockstar sandbox game after Bully, and it really is a stark contrast to GTA4.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Debawv posted:

Haunted Mansion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBK74LlU3M

There's bats and you can't shoot them and add them to the list of animals you've extinguished??

That better be fixed in a patch. :colbert:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Crows Turn Off posted:

If you aim for the gun, it only takes one because you automatically win. If you click the arm or the hand instead, you will need to fill up the meter.

Can you shoot the gun out of the holster? Because I can't quite seem to get the timing right as the opponent takes it out and end up dead before I can shoot it out of his hand.

I'm not good with gunfights. :(

Edit: I really wish there was a way to practice this consistently other than 'win or die in a random event.'

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 10, 2010

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Wasco Jr. posted:

I need advice on knifing a bear, I am going to Tall Trees and shooting one in the body 4 times with a revolver and then trying to knife it but every single time I start chasing the wounded bear as it runs away from me another bear or two attacks out of nowhere. It is so annoying.

You gotta lasso that ba'r and slow him down a spell son. :clint:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Knifing cougars? No problem. They may kill my horse, they may knock me down, but nothing stops me from popping a pill and lassoing those lanky bastards and stabbing them like an :ese:.

Also stabbing buffalo like some crazed Jack the Ripper is pretty awesome.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Dick Trauma posted:

Unfortunately I absolutely cannot wrap my head around Liar's Dice. It makes no sense to me. I've read the posts trying to explain it and it didn't help. I can't even figure out why we each have dice. They seem to play no role in what's happening.

Here's everything you need to know about Liar's Dice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li-n8nA6xLM

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Here's the extra 100 Gamerscore from the DLC: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-5509-Red-Dead-Redemption-Updated-to-1100.html

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
When I was looking for beaver, all I found was raccoons. Now that I need raccoons, I can't find the little fucks anywhere.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ShowTime posted:

Also look around the outskirts of towns. Just like in real life, you can catch them raiding garbage cans and stuff that's been left out.

quote:

Also, if you hear a dog barking at night in town, it will probably lead you straight to a raccoon.

poo poo like this why this game is loving amazing.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There is something kinda hinted at for a new story related mission.

Late game spoilers?

When you unlock tall trees/great plains/etc, there is a cabin out in the middle of Tanners Reach, where every time you go to it or near it, Marston sounds all creeped out about it. "This ain't right.." or "Where is everyone?", and the cabin is actually a pretty nice little cabin. Fires lit at night, etc. You can't save in it, but it's there. Kinda spooky. I thought it might be something they didn't have time to finish out, like a Tumbleweed mission or something.

Yea, it's reaching for something to be hinted at, but it's kinda fun/creepy at the same time :unsmith:

I'm guessing it's in place for future DLC.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

shadok posted:

There are also at least two unlockable avatar rewards in treasure chests in the 360 version. If those don't count either because they're not in-game rewards then I guess you're right.

How do you know if you get one of these? Do you get a notification informing you, or does it just become a new option the next time you open the avatar customization menu?

\/\/\/ I don't think I've EVER unlocked one then. :smith:

Edit: I must have since you get one from shooting hats off. Hmm.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 30, 2010

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, I brought this up earlier, and I guess it's open for interpretation... but why would you think that the Strange Man is God when the Devil would be so much cooler and more in keeping with the mood and themes of the game?

I'll spoiler this just in case, but I'd love to be able to talk about this plotline without spoiler tags..

The Devil tempts you into committing evil acts. If anything he admonishes you for the evil you've committed, and raises a very real and excellent moral question: if you've killed dozens or hundreds of people how is it possible to become a 'good' person? Does saving someone from committing an act of adultery actually make you good if the blood of so many people is on your hands? (Simialar question: does Darth Vader realizing he's made an error at the end of Star Wars absolve him of the atrocities committed by his hand, and by the Empire he's supported? Apparently so in the Star Wars universe but that's never sat well with me.)

To me the strange man seems more like an angel of judgement, at least in traditional Christian mythology.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Finally got the Survive as Public Enemy for 10 Minutes achievement. A couple of guys were coming to track me down so I requested a posse invite instead and they ended up teaming up with me to take on the better part of the entire Mexican Army before I rode off into the sunset chuckling.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the help everyone.

By the way serious spoilers What's your favorite theory for the identity of the mysterious man in "I know you"? I'm leaning towards Death or Fate myself, but there seems to be dozens of theories. I also heard you can see him when John gets killed, but I've never noticed him myself.

The Angel of Judgement.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

That Awful Nick posted:

:siren: DLC Announcement! :siren:

Undead Nightmare Pack?! :psyduck:

HAY GUYZ KNOW WHAT MAKES A GAME BETTER? ZOMBIES!

:regd08:

Maybe they'll release it around the release of Dead Rising 2 to compete, what do you think?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have it as an option and it could definitely be fun, but good lord it seems overdone.

Red Deadlands Redemption. :clint:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

That Awful Nick posted:

Personally I'm just looking forward to any new single player content with which to take my Marston into action in.

You're looking awful hungry Miss McFarlane. And awful thin these days. Now hold it right there, I'm a married man. Hold it! ARRGH!!!

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

ruddiger posted:

Goddamn rage-quitting pubbie fuckers. :argh:

I won two FFA matches in a row, and I foolishly gloated that I needed one more FFA win to get the win three in a row achievement, and EVERYONE loving quit out of the game. Hoping that the wins would carry over to a new game, I loaded into a new FFA match, won, but didn't get the achievement. Son of a bitch. :mad:

This happens so much I'm surprised they keep putting achievements like this into games, because it's not even a measure of how good you are at the game anymore, it's a measure of how much ragequitting bullshit you're able to put up with. Between this game and Bioshock 2's multiplayer achievements, I wish I could just opt-out of even bothering with this poo poo.

(I guess I can just by not playing but then my OCD would destroy me. :( )

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

That Awful Nick posted:

Yeah. Doing all the American hideouts in 24 hours unlocks the Marshall outfit, and outfits count toward 100%. Besides, the outfit is pretty sweet from the screens that I've seen.

Is this only available after the storyline ends?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

There's gonna be a Bully sequel? Holy poo poo. I love that game, perhaps even more than I love Red Dead Redemption.

Yup. It's my favorite Rockstar game, and I'm pretty sure the designers of Bully had a hand in RDR, because it has the same kind of feel to it in places.

Shaun Lee's doing the soundtrack for the next Bully game too! :dance: :qfg:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Nah, this is how you do it.

She runs away, then you lasso her, hogtie her, and leave her next to her confederates as they rot. Chances are someone will be around to help her. I couldn't care less. The bitch tried to kill me, she can stand to free herself over the next few days.

Unless the coyotes get her first. Either way, that's for nearly ending my life.

See, if you do stuff like this, the game AI ought to recognize it and future bandit groups should leave you alone.

"Holy poo poo it's John Marston the psychopath. If we don't get him he'll leave one of us alive in a pile of rotting corpses. Let's go rob HERBERT MOOOOOOON instead!"

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Earwicker posted:

Tried multiplayer for the first time last night. From what I read I was expecting a crowd of 15 year old assholes to be waiting for me to spawn so they could immediately kill me hundreds of times but it was actually pretty sparse and the other people in free roam seemed fairly decent, no spawn campers or anything like that. not bad, though maybe i just got lucky

I've had more good luck than bad in multiplayer. Only once did I get on a server with two assholes hell-bent on griefing me at every turn; for the most part, people will leave you alone or posse up and go do fun poo poo together.

The FFA / Gang Wars games on the other hand can be pretty dickish, with a lot of people quitting when you're about to win, that kind of thing.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yeah, the griefing in this game isn't very creative. The only instances where I've been annoyed enough to leave a match and do something else was when some guy on my team in a gang match spent the whole match hunting me down and killing me and another time when me and a couple other dudes began herding the cows in that coop mission before one of them decided dynamite was a legitimate cow herding implement.

The only time I've really had a problem was one server where it was me and two other guys, and they spent the whole time warping to wherever I was and shooting me over and over. I kept travelling across the map to try to do gang hideouts, and they would just travel in and shoot me.

Took about 5 minutes to quit out. :)

Edit: I've had way more positive experiences than negative, like the time I went for my 10 minutes as Most Wanted achievement, the two guys who came to hunt me down ended up joining my posse and helped me get the cheevie rather than kill me. That's good fun.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 21, 2010

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Noxville posted:

How are you supposed to kill a cougar with a combat knife? I got lucky getting one that for some reason did nothing but run away from me, but any other just tears me to shreds in a second.

Lasso them to drag them in close then knife them.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Hey you know what sucks? The last battle automatically places you in Dead Eye without any warning so if you hit the Dead Eye button like you think you should to take those bastards down you EXIT dead eye and don't get to shoot ANY of them, instead being turned into mincemeat like a big pussy.

:mad:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
One of the last achievements I'm working on is killing 500 people with a Gatling Gun. If I replay missions with the Gatling, do the kills keep adding up towards my 500 total, or do I really need to grind this out in a private multiplayer map like the guides suggest?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Slantedfloors posted:

Replays don't add to the statistics, sorry.

The best place I found was El Matador, with the roof-mounted Browning gun. Load up Multi-player, go there, and the start shooting cops. The gun is able to nail almost anything along the most likely spawn routes.

Cool, thanks. That, 6 more bounties, ringer in horseshoes, and Fightin' Round the World ought to wrap it all up for me.

Is there some trick to getting a ringer in horseshoes because even betting $1 at MacFarlane's, I still can't manage it - I can get the shoe to bounce off the pillar but no ringer.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I finished it last night, hitting 100% when I finished the last stranger mission too. loving awesome game, and narrative-wise probably the best game I've played in the last several years. I'm already considering replaying it just for the story - I wish there was a way to restart the game with things like the challenges all completed, so you don't have to grind those out and you can just focus on the story.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Finally ground out the Mowing them Down achievement this morning, what a bitch. But in the process I discovered there's a shitton of fun challenges to do in Multiplayer too, and I earned the best multiplayer title I've seen so far: Enemy of the State, earned for getting a $5000 bounty. :ese: :smug:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Ahahaha, tomahawking people in the back is everything I imagined it would be.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

uncle jimbo posted:

Can you get the tomahawk in SP, and if so, where?

e: Purchased @ Manzanita Post, in case someone else wanders into this thread trying to find out the same thing

And there's an achievement for completing the new challenge string for the tomahawk in SP as well!

E: \/\/\/ About 50 MB.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 10, 2010

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Will double XP work in Private servers so I don't have to deal with pubbies while I'm grinding out Pike's Basin a few dozen times?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I got the semiauto pistol this morning and spent the next 20 minutes griefing a posse of newbies. I've never griefed anyone before, but holding all five of them off and hearing them complain was strangely satisfying.

You get double XP for completing challenges too, so then I went and did what any cowboy would do: collect a bunch of stupid herbs. :clint:

I really can't wait for the next pieces of DLC, the multiplayer is probably the best and has the most things to do of any game I've played yet.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Slantedfloors posted:

That poor, poor horse.

It's like he's roaring in his ear, urging him on.

'Work ya drat nag, work!'

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

A Quiet American posted:

I would enjoy Woody Allen as Herbert Moon for the pure irony of it, although Mel Gibson would probably ad-lib some pretty awesome lines.

I'm kind of an achievement whore, and I don't think I'm ever going to get "Go Team!" and "The Quick and Everyone Else..." I usually end up in the top three in team matches, so I'm constantly being reshuffled to shittier teams. It's win, loss, win, loss for me every goddamn time. I haven't tried FFA but I seriously doubt I'll be good enough at that to get the top score three rounds in a row. Any tips?

I haven't downloaded the co-op missions yet, I lent the game to my brother for awhile after I picked up Mass Effect 2. If there are any goons who are looking for help with achievements, would like to help me with achievements, or want to shoot cannons at pubbies from El Presidio, let me know.

If you want we can partner up and get the FFA and team match achievements in private multiplayer mode - there's some good boosting techniques for those and other multiplayer achievements, and I'd love to work with another achievement whore to get them. I don't have a ton of time but will be around a bit more after labor day for the ones we don't get right away.

I'll shoot you a friend request.

Edit: actually not in private, but we can still use a boosting technique to get them. :)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

A Quiet American posted:

Awesome, I'll definitely take you up on that. I forgot to ask, is the general consensus pretty much that the Legends and Killers pack isn't worth it? $10 for skins, gang shootout maps (I kind of hate the competitive multiplayer in RDR), and a tomahawk seems a bit much.

I like it and there are some FFA maps in it too, but your mileage may vary. Chucking a tomahawk into some unsuspecting pubbie's back is pretty funny though. There are probably better ways to spend :10bux:

If you want to read up on the various boosting methods, check this thread out: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229132

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

davebo posted:

How does that work anyway, do people who have the pack join normal free mode servers with the rest of us and get to use the new weapons on people who don't have them?

Yup. The tomahawk is basically a one-shot kill but you need to be pretty close to use it, so it's good for a nice sneak in the back once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

A Quiet American posted:

My plans to assemble the ultimate achievement whoring team are coming to fruition...good...good...

I'm at PAX all weekend but should be around next week and the weekend after for some achievement-whoring action.

If we can get 8 of us together we can all swap the Posse Up! Achievement too.

• Locked thread