Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

err posted:

So I beat the game, how am I supposed to get $10k for the achievement when I have only $2.5k now and still need to buy all the houses/guns for 100%?

I'm not sure if it glitched out for me or if this is how you're supposed to do it but it seems that the $10k achievement is $10k altogether and not actually having it on you at one time. I got it when I sold all my gold and had around $2.5k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's nice that all the Challenges aren't complete bullshit. I have everything completely done but Survivalist and I just have to do the level 9 and 10 for that. My favorite part of treasure hunting was the "oh poo poo" feeling of recognizing the area from the treasure map.

The Sharpshooter level 9 was super easy for me because I had just completed the Fort Mercer gang hideout and so there were a bunch of vultures flying around overhead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

roffle posted:

yeah but at least wolves are easy to find. Now I'm on the skunks/racoons/foxes one and it's a bitch because racoons/skunks aren't animals that I run into during the course of normally playing the game since they run alone and don't really make noise

Skunks aren't too bad because they have a distinctive look. Raccoons are hard to find because they blend in so well. Other than times where I couldn't get to where the animals were because I wasn't far enough into the story I think that set was probably the hardest. Everything else went kind of easy for hunting. Especially the last couple of "legendary" animals.

Also I got a really easy break on the "No Dice" achievement as I was doing the movie Stranger mission where you have to play a game of Liar's Dice against a dude who's really bad at it. Helped that there were only me and him playing. He also kept calling me as bluffing even though I was just building on his bets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of the German dude, did anyone else get a weird John Malkovich vibe off of him? Just the way he talked made it seem less like a German accent and more like a John Malkovich impression.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whew, finished LEGEND OF THE WEST (feels like there should be a Flapjack-esque chorus when I say that.) Survivalist 10 was a lot easier than I was expecting. It doesn't really take that long to get two of everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

abagofcheetos posted:

ive wanted to just go crazy on a killing spree, but what do you do about the bounty afterwards? wouldnt it be pretty easy to get it into the thousands? do you just have to pay it or i guess instead you save beforehand and reload?

You could always use a Pardon letter if you don't have the cash.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sdr782 posted:

Is there any high quality pics of the outfits online? The pictures on the red dead wiki are practically thumbnail sized. I just wanna see if the poncho outfit makes you look like The man with no name

Poncho is just the Cowboy outfit, with a raggedy-rear end poncho over it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kiph posted:

My favourite line in the game:

Marston: "So you're like, a national gigolo."

One time when accepting a duel Marston said: "Sure, I've got time to kill, you."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

northerain posted:

Has anyone happened on the 2 guys with the TNT in Elizabeth?

The one where they want you to drive their wagon? Yeah, it's kind of weird though since they're not really that far from town and bandits attack you for some reason.

The downside to the random encounter thing is that you can spend a lot of time with the game and not see some events/only get them once. I'm pretty far into the game (post "Truth") and have only encountered a stagecoach robbery once and even then it was pretty far into the game before it happened.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KungfooMF posted:

[ENDGAME]It sure was satisfying putting a bullet in Ross using the gun he gave my father.

Where do you find him? It says in the last paper that he lives near the lake out by Armadillo but I couldn't find him there. Also during the last mission I had a weird bug where there was another Jack hanging out in the barn not doing anything but standing there. So when they escaped it looked like they left Jack's retarded twin brother who lived in the barn behind.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 5, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IRQ posted:

How the hell do you shoot people's hats off? I just keep killing them, no matter how high I aim.

Shoot the brim.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RedneckwithGuns posted:

What the point of this? I used one save throughout and never had a problem....is it a glitch or something?

I think some people MASSIVE ENDGAME SPOILER prefer to play as John instead of Jack. So they make the extra before the end game save so they can go back and complete all the side stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

I never tried this, but does it also change your character's handedness? It'd be cool if a game actually did something like that for left-handed people who would naturally sight with their dominant left eye.

The only game I've seen that happen in is Infamous. If you do the switch shoulder view thing in that game Cole will switch which hand he's firing electric bolts from.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Because prior to 10 years ago, no one played poker but lowlifes, compulsive gamblers, and men getting away from their abrasive wives for the night.

Plus, video games a poo poo. Who wants to learn to play poker when Zelda needs saving.

Also when most people think poker they think Five Card Draw and not Texas Hold 'Em.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gazmachine posted:

I also need to try (ending spoilers) Shooting Ross from a distance as Jack before I get too close and trigger the duel cutscene .

(ENDGAME SPOILERS)
There are a couple of story characters that hang out in the world that you aren't able to shoot and he might be one of them. I know in Mexico I wasn't allowed to shoot Rickets. Although you can get around this by chucking thrown weapons like fire bottles or dynamite.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morter posted:

Has anyone ever run into the one guy that wanted to reward you for whatever? He says something along the lines of "Help yourself to whatever supplies I have", even though you meet him in the street. I accept, and he walks away, with me getting no items. I follow him, and he leads me to nowhere. This has happened twice now (and I still even haven't gotten the rosary! :argh:), so I wonder if I'm missing something.

Sounds like he's bugged because that's what someone says when you rescue them from bandits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

OrangeGuy posted:

Also, is it possible to find the treasure for Treasure Hunter out of order?

Nope, he has to have a reason to dig into the rock pile. He won't just do it randomly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm trying to 100% the game and all I have left is bounty missions. I need to do some in Mexico and some in West Elizabeth. Now, I know that Blackwater is the only place in West Elizabeth to get bounties but is Chuparosa the only place in Mexico?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God drat it, most people when they say they're having problems with Unnatural Selection are missing things like ducks or seagulls. It turns out that I had never killed a WILD horse and that's what I needed.

Two more bounty missions and I get 100%. I think this will be the first game I've ever really done that for.

Edit: Wooo, Redeemed. Also kind of weird, on my last bounty mission in Mexico I had a guy chasing me on a donkey.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 13, 2010

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sirbeefalot posted:

I enjoyed the ending for the most part. My only real problem with the post-endgame now are some minor oddities, like how Jack maintains ALL of John's stats. Getting his weapons, clothing, even the provisions and supplies he was carrying all sort of make sense, but his Fame? I guess he might look like his father... Also, according to the grave site, its been 3 whole years since John's death. Where are the other story characters now? I wish they would have left them in the world just as another NPC to have brief interactions with. I haven't played much beyond the ending yet, but do any of the characters you met during the bulk of the story show up again in any capacity? I realize there aren't more story missions after the story is complete, but it would be nice to see Bonnie McFarlane working around their ranch, or that guy that was going to drill for water at the Pleasance House, etc. I guess its not really new for this type of game to remove all story NPCs from the world after you finish the story.

I think what I really just want is a sequel already. :ohdear:

The post-game newspaper you can buy does a pretty good job of outlining what happened to some of the characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure that's the LeMat which you get from the Escalera gunsmith.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, having the ending ruined for this game would really suck, I really enjoyed it the first time. Having it spoiled would be like watching the sixth sense knowing all along that the guy in the hairpiece turns out to be bruce willis the whole time

What's funny about this is that back when Sixth Sense first came out my dad didn't want to see it at all until I told him the twist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was just thinking, what was the point of the binoculars? You only get them near the end of the game and they're never really useful then but then I can't think of any time they'd be useful earlier either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

If you listen to him more, you can tell that Jack's mind is starting to slip as well and he's falling into the role that he assumes that his father had. When you go out hunting and he keeps mentioning that 'dad said I wasn't much of a hunter,' you realize that his bitterness is starting to affect his mind to the point where he's not misremembering reality, he's changing it so he's a permanent outlaw who always proves someone in authority wrong. His father didn't think he couldn't be a hunter, you dumb son of a bitch. He just said you shouldn't go off and start hunting BEARS on your own. But Jack seems to be really hosed up by the experience of having his entire family die in the span of a few years. Sure, the man responsible is now rotting in the Rio Grande and being used as Beaver food, but that doesn't reverse the incredible trauma that boy has experienced or the resultant mental illness that comes from that. And considering he's emulating his father while dismissing reality, one can only wonder what will really become of Jack Marston and his cowboy ways. He kinda picked the wrong time to become a cowboy now that everything from 1914 onwards starts changing the entire layout of the nation quite quickly. He'll be 35 when the Great Depression hits, and in his mid-forties when World War II begins. Not a good future for a cowboy there.

Or he joins the Army and goes to Europe to fight in the Great War and dies in some godforsaken no man's land.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think my record is 298 feet and I have no clue how I did it.

On an unrelated note, I have everything I need for the Bollard Gang outfit, except for the scrap from the tailor at Thieves' Landing. Yet, no matter how many times I save to wait or how long I dick around, the tailor is never in his store. I already bought the fancy suit from him so I know he's supposed to be there.

I have a sneaking suspicion he was one of the random people I shoved into the lake so that there would be no witnesses to my murder and skinning of an innocent pig :(

If you did kill him the game would have let you know and even if it did and you missed it it takes 5 in game days for a shopkeeper to respawn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

On that note, I cannot for the life of me find a white horse anywhere. That's one of the few Stranger missions I have left, and I really want to find that goddamned horse. I used to see people riding white horses all the time, but now the game seems to be loving with me, since I never see them anymore.

It's in Mexico.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

God drat, co-op mode is not meant for 16 people. That many people you're pretty much guaranteed to have some retard do something that will end the match immediately.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gazmachine posted:

Hahaha, you can have 16 people in coop? What about the raft on the Mexican mission? That would be ridiculous.

That one didn't show up in the playlist so maybe you can't do it with 16 people but yeah every other one we attempted just turned retarded. The only one it kind of worked was Ammunition (the one with the Mexican army assaulting the town you're in.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Greyish Orange posted:

Finally got 100%. I was stuck at 99.9% until I checked that you need all locations. Had one on the far right of the map that I hadn't explored, I'm not sure I would've ever got that last 0.1% without the internet.

It was so worth it though. Using the unlocked outfit is giving me so much joy.

For anybody else stuck like this you can use the social club website which will let you know basically what you're missing. So something like that would have shown up on your letting you know exactly where to go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

the truth posted:

What does that do?

It gives a list of what items you need and what you currently have collected.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I don't understand is why they still haven't really released anything involving Dutch's hideout or the crashed steamboat. Both are pretty cool areas and seem like no-brainer gang hideouts but you only ever really go there once in single player and have no reason to go there in multi.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Golgozor posted:

Shortymrbig keeps telling me they're going to add poker and liar's dice to multiplayer. Is it in the new DLC? Is there anything in the new DLC to spruce up free roam? After getting legend the first time it's lost its appeal.

Yeah, it's going to be added in to FR in a DLC, not the one that comes out this week though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Childlike Empress posted:

I got this 3-4 times in the middle part of the game. Never earlier, and never in late game.

I don't mind letting the horse thieves grab my horse, though. I just imagine their thoughts:

"Hahaha, that guy looked really tough and had a bunch of guns, but I just shoved him off his horse and took it! Haha! And now I'm riding into the sunset! What's that? Oh, I've just been shot clean in the back of the hea"

It can be weird with some of the random events. For example, in my entire time playing through the single player game (40+ hours) I only encountered the stagecoach being robbed random event once. By that I mean the event where the stagecoach is running along with bandits chasing it and you can decide which side to help.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GenoCanSing posted:

Looks like a lot of you will get your wishes. On the official site:

That's really weird of them to do because its basically just selling the multiplayer part of RDR as its own game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wasn't that the other way around? They cut out all the old radio stations to be able to fit the DLC content on the discs.

Nope, Episodes from Liberty City had an extra non-DLC radio station that played 80s music and was hosted by a character from Vice City.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Undead Nightmare is definitely really awesome. Surprised that its only 10 bones since it feels like Gay Tony or Lost.

In case anyone is wondering it starts sometime after you get to Beecher's Hope in the regular game.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, the only thing you'll get spoiled is actually seeing John's family/knowing he actually reunites with them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh man, shooting a zombie in the head with a pistol is a lot harder than it seems. The double barrel shotgun is definitely the go to weapon for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm gonna laugh if it's the same one from vanilla and you just never encountered it before.

Nah, I had the same thing, it definitely is a twist on the regular mode's random encounter.

This might come off as hyperbole but I really think that Undead Nightmare is the best "zombie" game ever. It probably helps that this is DLC so they don't need to compromise on a lot of stuff that stand alone zombie games have to do. Stuff like you can only kill with headshots or if you aren't careful and make your shots count you can be seriously down on ammo. Also I really love that they didn't shoehorn in stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

How often do towns need to be cleared out? I've been playing for a while and all my towns still are labeled as "safe."

• Locked thread