Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

2ndclasscitizen posted:

CPU bets 50
CPU raises 75
CPU raises 150
You all in 200
CPU folds.

You had nothing.

gently caress it's easy to bluff the AI.

I dunno, that one Mexican guy bets super loving big and always has flushes or a high two pair. Was winning like a motherfunster and then lost 900 chips in one hand.

:siren: Thing what you might not know what is useful, yeah? :siren:

If you set a waypoint on your map, then use your campsite, you can travel to the waypoint. Extremely useful at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Mastiff posted:

Just finished the game.

*shuffles his Top Ten around to make room*

In the final scene , the duel with Edgar, I somehow managed to time it so that the sun was setting behind Jack's head, and in the cutscene which set up the duel, I looked like a goddamn avenging angel.

I love this about the game so much, the fact that the weather is just however the weather is for scenes. In the final scene for me, it was pissing it down and thundering. I also (ending spoilers) ended up using the mauser pistol and emptying all 15 rounds into Edgar Ross' face, making his head look like a red cauliflower

I have a question about the ending, Is Edgar Ross in the lineup when John pushes open the barn doors? If so, what happens if you kill him?.

I also need to try (ending spoilers) Shooting Ross from a distance as Jack before I get too close and trigger the duel cutscene .

EDIT: Removed a couple of questions I found out reading the thread a bit more.

Millionth Edit: I keep thinking of things. What I like now is (ending again) I played an absolute good guy with John, trying to do the right thing all the time. I'm going to turn it upside loving down with Jack, as a young man who has learned that, no matter how hard you try, people will drag you down with them unless you shoot first.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 7, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

NeilPerry posted:

Spoilered block of text.

Which I will reply to with another spoilered block of text! Hooray! It's about the ending, if you haven't finished it.

Whilst the stranger missions thing is slightly jarring, I don't think it's a massive immersion ruining thing. It would have taken a lot of extra development time to make sure there was extra dialogue to make partly completed stranger missions make sense, having people say new poo poo depending on what stage of each stranger mission you were in if you came back as Jack. I suppose it's a bit odd that the one I'm in the middle of is collecting flowers for that old guy for his wife's anniversary, so he's been waiting for at least 3 years for someone who isn't John to come back with his flowers. Fair enough. It's no big deal though, is it?

If you want to talk inappropriately game-y moments, how about when (big spoiler) John is dead and we're looking at his and his wife's grave, with "Bury Me Not on the Lone Prarie" playing and then in the top left it suddenly pops up with "NEW ITEMS ARE AVAILABLE TO BUY FROM THE STORE!". Bah gawd, pa's dead and I'm real sad, but HEY BY JAHOSEPHAT LOOKY HERE! NEW ITEMS AT THE STORE! YEEEEHAW!.

I don't understand why you think the final duel ruins the game's immersion, though. Please explain.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Smashlampjaw posted:

Ok, I think i'm at the end i am not sure, because the credits haven't rolled yet but, what do I do after John dies I am Jack now are there other missions or unfinshined business I'm suppose to take care of or what?

You are Jack, your father was killed by the government. Your mum's dead, you're fairly upset. What would you do?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Alabama Blacksnake posted:

More (minor) stranger mission spoilers: I distinctly remember one stranger mission I started as John and finished as Jack where there was a brief back-and-forth about how Jack wasn't the same one who started the mission. I think it was the guy building the glider in Mexico.

Not as well done as you might hope, but at least the game acknowledged it, which is more that I expected.

This is true. I also just did the stranger mission where (pretty big spoilers) You speak to the bar owner in Blackwater and he says "ain't you the guy who killed Bill Williamson?" to which Jack explains he has him confused with someone else.

EDIT

Whoa Black Betty posted:

Also, have any of you played SP on Expert Aim? I'm thinking of doing this too, but wanted to get an idea of how tough it makes some of the horseback/coach-based shootouts. I'm looking forward to trying it though, because I think it could make hunting and fighting a bit more intense and "personal" in it's involvement.

I ain't done it nothin' BUT expert aim, boy. Are you yella or sumpin'?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

NeilPerry posted:

Nono, you got me wrong.

I see your point on some of those things actually. I love the ending but there is a slight emptiness afterwards. Then again, it could be argued that this lack of any missions for Jack afterwards gives that feeling of pointlessness that someone feels after committing a murderous revenge.

Not even sure if I agree with that myself, but it seems to fit.

Oh and new badass thing to do - blind fire a throwing knife round a corner into some government rear end in a top hat's face.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

leidend posted:

No. You can count the non-assholes in the whole game on one hand. Kind of depressing... makes you wonder if the R* staff is mentally ok.

I suppose it's Rockstar debunking the romance of the old west. The whole picture builds up to a land of selfishness and greed, as well as other little pokes at America - "money and a chance to interfere in affairs that aren't his own - what American could resist?". Almost everyone's out for themselves. Those who aren't and don't fit in are forgotten or sidelined. Look at Landon Ricketts, a hero of the West, nobody knows who he is anymore (except John). It's interesting, because they could have written him as a more bitter character, but they didn't. It makes the "good guys" a lot more powerful as characters.

Crows Turn Off posted:

And, as far as Mexico is concerned, everyone there is a huge jerk. :mad: I especially disliked saving that prostitute by buying her freedom, only to have her get murdered anyway. It's just like, no matter how good you try to be, it's futile.

I love the stranger missions, they do more than just offer interesting sidequests, they colour the story, build the game world and give it a real sense of character, where other games would just leave them as that - side quests. It's incredibly clever how these mini stories of the lives of others that you temporarily cross give you a real feel of the state of the land and the attitudes of the people in it.

It's amazingly well done and should be thoroughly applauded.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm normally a PC gamer. I have a PS3 but I am an absolutely terrible shot when trying to aim with controller sticks (too used to a mouse that I can move fast or slow). Would this game still be enjoyable with such a malady, or should I skip it? (Or is a PC port coming?)

IntoTheNihil posted:

Not only is there a very helpful auto aim in the game, but the dead-eye feature makes shooting people extremely easy. You'll do fine.

I play both PC and console, and I find altering your aiming style is useful when using a console. For example, on PS3 I use strafing and timing (waiting for someone to run into the line of sight) to line up horizontally and the right, "look" stick to line up vertically. Tends to make things a little easier.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I just find it too easy personally with auto aim on. It has its uses in mp free roam in the gang hideouts, though, because those bandits have some poo poo hot aiming.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Beelzebozo posted:

Yeah, but by the time you get to that mission you've already watched him eagerly agree to help four or five different half-assed con men dupe him into errand after errand under the promise of information that they obviously don't have any access to. That honestly made the story in this game rather painful for me. I mean, I know they have to drag it out and have some artificial mission variety and stuff, but this is why people who don't play games refuse to take them seriously as a story-telling medium.

Although you could argue that if these are the only leads he has, he doesn't have a lot of choice. Also, I would say that one thing it does do is help you share Marston's frustration at going on these wild goose chases. It's always extremely hard to conceal or construct believable conceits to make a series of missions feel less game-y, and I feel that Rockstar do this better than most.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 8, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Protip posted:

Also, gently caress the 5 finger mini-game you have to complete to get one of the Reyes outfit pieces. I can't beat that to save my life.

Protip for you, protip :v:

What I tend to do on the later stages of five finger fillet is just look at the buttons that aren't X (presume it's B on the 360) and remember that combination.

There's always an X between the other combinations, so just train a finger on that and remember the rest of the sequence. Then just say it out loud - "triangle circle square triangle circle, triangle circle square triangle circle". That's all you actually need to remember.

It's also worth noting that you stop automatically as soon as you finish the last button press, so don't worry about doing too many. It also helps if you ever learned any of King's chain throws from Tekken, but that's another story.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

enigmahfc posted:

I just had a completely skinned cougar attack me. I killed the bastard, and skinned it. I turned to call my horse, and the SKINLESS COUGAR GOT UP AND RAN AT ME. It knocked me down but did no damage. This creature from Hellraiser kept running, turned to attack again, then suddenly fell to the ground and slid for a few feet. It was all kind of startling.

Something else funny happened during the mission where you are supposed to help round up the cattle during the thunderstorm. It was the part where your are trying to keep them from running off the cliff. I tried to stop/turn , and my horse just didn't want any of that. Instead, it plummeted off the cliff and died, but I somehow survived. Two seconds later cows just started raining down on me; smacking the ground, mooing, splatting, and bouncing. It was wonderful.

Holy poo poo, these are the best glitches I've heard of yet. I've not had any interesting ones so far.

I find it weird how people are complaining about how bleak the story is. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's not really fair to say it "doesn't work", just because you want more uplifting moments. R* are clearly out to debunk the romance of the Old West. There's that quote by the anthropologist, who says "I dreamt of documenting the last days of the old west. The romance, the honour, the nobility! But it turns out it’s just people killing each other", which is basically the theme in a nutshell.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Duelling is really getting on my nerves. I want to disarm people as part of doing an honourable thing so I can get the achievement that is full honour and full fame simultaneously so I can get on with being an rear end. Is there no way to just tag one shot and be done? I want one shot to take the gun out the other guy's hand.

Also, does that achievement require you to have full / empty honour and full fame at the same time, or could you do it separately?

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Kaddish posted:

You just aim for the hand.

Six times?

Oh and that's cool about not getting extra honour for it, I'll just shoot the fuckers. Would be nice to one shot them though, instead of overkilling everyone I meet.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Didn't see how throwing knives fitted into the old west until I watched Fistful of Dollars today. Now I use 'em all the time.

I must repeat, blind firing them round a corner into government scum's face is the single best thing to do in the game. It looks ace. Go do it now.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

AxeManiac posted:

Jesus, I was totally doing that.

I had a hard time playing Poker, where you needed to clear out the table in Armadillo, but I got a nice table with Herbert Moon who is the biggest pussy in the world. He would fold any time I upped the bet. I cleared out the table down to one dude and lost. But I tried again and everyone else left the table so it was just me and that one dude.

I still can't play liar's dice for poo poo. Seems like the PC just fucks me over each time. I can't lie to them and I ALWAYS pick the wrong thing on them. 5 ones? I'm calling you out!!! Welp, the AI each had 3 ones... ugh...

I've got a couple of very handy tips for both poker and liar's dice.

There's an English chap chap chap on the high stakes poker table in Blackwater who was initially pissing me off until I worked out his system. I cleaned out the other two in a few minutes and he basically folded whenever I bet, even if it was a minimum bet. What I found was (and I highly suspect that there's only one "cautious player" AI in the game, so it will go for any NPCs that serial fold) if you wait til it's just you and them, bet high before the flop, I'm talking half your chips (make sure it's not too close to making them go all in though by looking at the max bet you can make, which will be their total chips) and they will call it. On the flop, bet again, about 50 chips, and they will fold. Every time. The serial folders always fold after the flop, unless you call all the way through to the river. This way, the've already put in a shitload of chips, but they still fold, and you win all the chips.

It sucks but they're not going to change their AI, so it's the best way to deal with those guys.

As for Liar's Dice, it took me a couple of goes to get it right, but you can win a fuckload of money if you get it spot on, with an ante of $200.

Basically, in the early stages, try and keep the bets low and realistic. I've played about four games and not once has the AI gone to call a bet as dead-on, either my own or another NPC's. They only bet or call bluffs. If you keep your bets lowish, it'll always fall to the other two to make a larger bet which the other will then call as a bluff. One of them loses a die, you hang in the background unscathed.

Then you'll get to a point where you have 5 dice and they have 1 or 2 each. You can then make bigger claims based on fact (if you have 3 fours under your cup, bet 3 fours). They'll never call it spot on, which is what you might go for in a real game, they'll always call it as a bluff, and you'll always win.

Bit lovely, I know, but it works. Also, I'm thinking of picking up a real life version of liar's dice, because it's fun as hell.

The Lost Levels posted:

Idiotic incorrectly spoilered poo poo combined with terrible whiney child opinion.

What the gently caress. Don't read the bottom of page 66 unless you want the ending ruined. Also, this ending whining is pathetic. I think it's one of the most interesting endings I've seen for a good while, which ties in with the overall message R* are getting across with the game. I bet you (spoilered even though it's about another game, because it would hint towards this game's ending, that's right I'm spoilering properly) complained about the Raiden thing in MGS2. Subverting expectations is exactly what I want out of my games, not the typical happy ending boredom.

Go and write some fanfic about it if it bothers you that much, instead of doing that "OH THANKS A LOT ROCKSTAR" crap, like you know what you're talking about. It's very irritating. Thanks.

Sco Dylan posted:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm463374592/nm2147789

That's John Marston.

Hahaha.

I love this. This makes me think he's a pretty drat good voice actor, because he looks more like a mormon than a jaded badass cowboy.

Sorry for the MASSIVE post, and I do love this game, but is anyone else a bit disappointed with the lack of decent bar brawl action? Before this was released, I was dreaming of Euphoria-driven punch-ups, with a Bully-style fighting system, where you could throw people a small distance after softening them up. I wanted to knock into someone, spill their whiskey and end up in a big brawl where I threw someone through a window onto the porch and gave someone else a tasty hook that sent them rolling through the saloon doors, all with the piano still playing and not stopping just because a fight broke out. Surely this would have been amazing? It could be a mission, distract the bar staff downstairs by starting a brawl whilst Irish goes upstairs and nicks some info out of someone's room. Scoot away on horseback, being chased by a couple of scumbags.

Also, I wanted it to be so that when your fame was low, the piano would stop and everyone would look at you in silence when you came in. DLC and patching? I can dream.

Edited for awful grammar mistake.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 11, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Toasta posted:

So I finally beat the game.

End of game spoilers!

Holy poo poo. I figured something bad was about to happen to John's family, but after a little while of farming with my son, I thought maybe things would be okay. Obviously the army came and hosed John's ranch up.

I can honestly say, that in all my years of gaming, I haven't been this gut-wrenched by an ending. I was ready for John to find his family dead after killing Dutch, but I was not ready for John to be shot twenty times. His dying breaths were intense, to say the least. You best believe I killed the gently caress out of Ross's wife, bother, and Ross himself. This is one of my favorite games ever.

See, interestingly, I didn't kill his wife or brother, because I figured they had nothing to do with it, and seeing as Jack's family were all gone, he might have some empathy buried away inside somewhere. I left the wife and brother alone, and took out the sole man responsible.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Don't loving quote it.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Beelzebozo posted:

While I still feel sorry for anybody who has a game spoiled and wish people would use the tags that the system provides, I've gotta say I'm pretty loving astonished that anyone would read page 60-something of a Games thread several weeks after release if he hadn't yet finished the main story of that game. You're pretty much asking for it. Go play the loving thing before running to the Internet to discuss it. Sometimes I wonder about some of the hours-spent-posting : hours-spent-playing ratios in this forum.

I agree and I do tend to finish a game before I come back to post but I also like to post my first impressions and see what other people's first impressions are, as well as grab a bit of mid-game knowledge from others who might have spotted something I haven't, which I may not be able to take advantage of later on in the game or after I've finished it, so really it's just common courtesy to spoiler things properly.

And not quote them so that the incorrectly spoilered post appears on two pages...

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

Oh, and as for Ross, I ended up sparing his family. I didn't really feel right once I was actually on the mission where you track him down, even though I was all ready to go in guns blazing earlier. I'm a little disappointed that Ross was a Draw event and that he went down like the dozens of others I shot in the face twenty times before their hand even touched their gun. I was expecting something more cathartic, but it was just me killing a grumpy old man.

Edit: VV Yeah, that's kinda what I meant. Something more humiliating and... dramatic?

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, (even more ending stuff) I think it's done like that entirely on purpose, instead of being a lazy ending. You're supposed to feel underwhelmed and think "oh. Welp, that was that. His death did nothing to sate my anger / sense of injustice .

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Mr. Mutton Chops posted:

Sorry if this has been said before but did anyone else see any hypocrisy with Jack's actions near the end?
[Ending Spoilers]
I mean John killed hundreds of men and decided that just by leaving his old life behind and not killing anymore meant that he was in the good. But then Jack goes and kills Ross in cold blood even though Ross had left his old life as well. All Ross wanted to do was wither away in peace and do some fishing in Mexico. I mean sure he killed John and was a jerk about it but John was a mass murderer. Someone like that can't just leave that behind with no repercussions. I really found it hard to empathize with John through most of the game and honestly found myself thinking that Ross was the person with the most moral high ground.

That's fair enough to interpret the ending like that, it all depends on whose side you take, doesn't make it wrong.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Quick Unnatural Selection question - do you have to skin a dog and a pig aswell? I was loving around being a dick and decided to knife a dog in town and a pig in the pen in Thieves' Landing, and you could skin them both.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

shadok posted:

No, domestic animals aren't on the list. If you think you should have the achievement, you can check your stats, see every animal you've ever killed and check it against the list.

Cheers buddy. turns out I'm missing a seagull and that's it. Right you shore dwelling fuckers, it's go time. :clint:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, been looking at the Social Club stats for the first time. I have this thing where I really, really hate shooting horses, it's the saddest thing in the world to hear a horse give out that sad, stilted whinny and just sort of flop over, so I really, really make a point of not shooting them.

My stats tell me I've killed 117 domestic horses...

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jun 13, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Of course, except for the fact that there are several games Yahtzee has reviewed and loves to death, (Original Sands of Time, Saint's Row 2, Portal, HL2, etc) and in some cases those games really weren't all that great. (Saint's Row 2)

He's got it in for Rockstar, clearly. It's only a bit of fun. I actually think he has mostly terrible taste in games. You'll notice that if a game requires you invest some time into it, or if it isn't instantly gratifying, he tends to dismiss it. He's not a reviewer. It's sort of a critic's job to make swooping, entertaining, inflammatory statements.

You could say that the two minutes someone might spend responding angrily on a forum to what he's said could have been two minutes skinning wolves, in which time you'd probably only skin 1.3 wolves because the animation is so long this game sux rite?!

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Just had the best loving online free roam I've had for ages. Get this:

I was doing a challenge where you have to complete 2 particular hideouts without dying once. There were three of us, two people on my PSN friend list. We were doing great and a posse of about 7 mouthbreathers come riding in to gently caress with our poo poo. I just managed to finish the hideout before they shot me, but they basically griefed us for a little bit and then ran off with calls of "haha human being" and so on.

Thing is, there's a big bunch of players in the session, so I invite everyone to my posse, we end up with about 8 or 9 guys. I tell them the gameplan over my headset, basically to gently caress these guys up because they're assholes, so let's start a gang war. We all meet at a waypoint and ride together. I'm in my Native American skin.

So they're all trying to complete a hideout and we come loving thundering round the corner, ululating over the mics and wrecking their poo poo.

What followed was a 30 minute shootout with a shitload of trash talk from both sides, culminating in our glorious victory and their team quitting, bar about 2 guys, who we mercilessly mop up.

That was seriously the most fun I've had online in loving ages.

THIS.

GAME.

I also never expected to say "hah, I stole your loving zebra pal" today. But I did.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

shadok posted:

Anything that the train hits pops like a water balloon. As far as I know, to get the achievement, you have to hogtie her, carry her to the tracks and drop her there, and then be nearby when the train pulps her. I did it to a woman who made the mistake of trying to stagecoach-rob me when the train was approaching.

You have to witness it happening, so maybe that's the problem you're having. I didn't even realise it was an achievement when I did it, I was just punishing a whore who pretended to be stuck in the wilderness to set me up.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Eeeexcellent...

Also, just popped on to say that some nun gave me "Obscuridad del Santo Andres", which is a necklace with a cross on it that means enemies have less chance to hit me. Sweet! I just sort of rode the train for a bit and got off at Chuparosa, saw a nun there, she gave me the gift.

THIS.

GAME.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Quick list of random event missions and bugs I had last night:

Has anyone had the random event where (only spoilered if you REALLY want to experience everything for yourself) there's a dude that's set up camp with a scraggy dog and he sees you and says "come any closer and I'll blow this bastard's brains out! I swear!". You don't seem to get any reward for saving the dog, and then the little fucker just comes after you until you kill it.

Also, in Mexico, I keep coming across a guy who is trying to get his mule to move more quickly. He has it on a lead of sorts and is walking by it and keeps telling it to VAMOS and ANDELE and so on. It looks like a sort of random event but I don't know what to do with it. The reason it seems more like something you can interact with properly is because the subtitles actually pop up when the guy talks, which only happens with people of significance that you can interact with.

I also saw the flying man bug for the first time. Love it. Shot him out of the sky aswell, but didn't survive for long enough to see if I could collect his man-feathers.

enigmahfc posted:

EIGHT loving BEARS

Yeah, they seem to knock about in threes or fours for some reason.

Oh yeah, which reminds me. In tall trees I came across a horse with no mount and a guy tied up on the back, just at random. I untied the dude and he ran off, only to be mauled by a bear.

Seriously, if you fast travel in this game a lot, just try scooting around for a bit. Do the survivalist challenges. poo poo happens out there in the wilderness, sometimes more poo poo than in the towns and on the roads.

Influenza posted:

I loved the game, and was just dumbstruck ENDGAME when John went home to his family...and the game continued. I had fun doing those little family missions, but each new mission filled me with increasing dread, as even without reading spoilers, I knew bad things HAD to be coming for Mr. Marston. When he died, and then the game STILL wasn't over, Rockstar won my love and respect forever. What a great way to handle the endgame.

Funnily, I played the main game pretty straight to the way it's written, with John trying his best to be a good guy, racking up fame and honor. But I'm playing the postgame+ like a sociopath. I think the story actually supports this, and it's remarkably satisfying.

Just had to quote this to say I agree with everything in this post and I also played through exactly as you did, including postgame+. It really does fit so nicely with the story / themes of the game.

EDIT: Sorry, I have a MILLION things to say about this game. I also saw a pack of wolves attacking a bear. After a good couple of minutes fighting, The bear took two down and the wolves ran away. Then they all came after me. Big mistake.

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 15, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

El Seano posted:

Yesterday when I was playing I was roaming about Mexico making the long journey back to De Santa after that train mission. Anyway I'd lost my mount and suddenly in a clearing there was a dead body on the floor by a horse and a man apparently looting his body. I strolled up expecting him to stop and he didn't. So seeing nobody was around I levelled my shotgun at his face and he drew and pointed at me but didn't fire. About ten seconds pass and I fire and kill him, loot both bodies, take his horse and leave. No honor lost, no bounty.

So the question, what the gently caress happened before I arrived and who was the guy?

We will never know. Dead men tell no tales.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Poor John.

Out hunting for beaver like any normal man in the wild west would be, he heads to a far away camp in the north.

He spies something in the distance, and thinks "Holy poo poo, maybe this is that loving beaver!!" and uses his sniper rifle to take a peek.

Once the scope pops up, his eye is not filled with a view of a wet, glistening beaver at play, but a strange furry object that seems to be moving slightly.

Dropping the scope, he looks up and realizes his Lord and Savior will never let him live this down if it makes it up to Heaven, for in the final fleeting moments of life, instead of living life to it's fullest and trying to help his fellow man, or even seeing an awesome beaver shot... He was staring at a bear crotch from an angry grizzly that snuck up on him and didn't appreciate the ogling he had been given.

Way to go John... way to go.

For gently caress'S SAKE man, ending spoiler that poo poo.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

VDay posted:

Damnit. Yeah, I should probably go to sleep now...

That was perfect.

Kudos to you for posting like a reasonable, nice person though. I like this thread, it's a lot more pleasant than the TF2 one.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Even better than that is the fact that he refuses to offer a reasonable explanation as to why he killed her, except that "she was a whore!". That detail really, really makes it for me.

All the storytelling in the minigames really elevates the story and gives the game world a sense of character I can't recall being in any other game. It's the perfect game-centric way of making you care more about your environment.

It's a real step up from the likes of Bioshock and games where you find remnants of something gone before, and notes that you have to read to find out more about what happened there. Not that this is a terrible idea, but I think Rockstar may have set a new precedent for the way you enhance storytelling within a game without pulling you out of the game too much.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

!!!!!QUOTE-STRAVAGANZA!!!!!!!!!

Robot Hobo posted:

The entire 'shove' mechanism is really just like having a dedicated 'be an rear end in a top hat' button.

Shoving someone in front of a train just as it's pulling into the station is the finest way to abuse that feature.

I would love R* forever if they retroactively updated GTAIV with this mechanic. The shove in that game is too soft. Still spent a good hour pushing old ladies with shopping down the stairs, though.

Green Puddin posted:

I'd like to end up in a Free Roam where people aren't dicks and hunt and/or shoot you down. Fuuuck.

This is getting on my tits a little too. I just managed the $5,000 bounty challenge (I was something like $5,080 or thereabouts) when some dick came from across the map to shoot me. He stayed for the ride and me and my buddy got something like a 20 kill streak on him. He then stayed still for a bunch of kills, hoping we'd go away or some poo poo. When I got off my horse to walk right in front of him, he started shooting. Problem for him was, I had a semi-auto shotgun equipped. Goooood-night Irene.

My main complaint with the free roam poo poo is the sort of thing that happened last night. I was going into free roam to create a posse with my PSN friends, so that I could then start a gang deathmatch mode so we could play all on the same team. I entered the world in front of a posse of about 5 or 6 who kept loving killing me immediately upon spawning.

when this happens, you lose your menu until you respawn. It took me about five times longer to do something that would have been a case of a couple of menu selections. Bunch of poo poo. Also, the team balancing needs to be fixed so badly. I had a great hardcore team deathmatch round where it was 8 on 8. Couple of people left at the end and the next game was something like 9 against 5. Couple left and then it was something like 8 against 3.

This is loving stupid and needs to be fixed.

IRQ posted:

Real men use the High Power Pistol.

How do you get the high power pistol in free roam? I've seen many, many dudes 15 levels lower than me that have it.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

weg posted:

It spawns in a chest on the roof of a building at the Tesoro Azul gang hideout.

Cool, thanks. Does it then stay with you forever, or do you need to grab it every time?

Green Puddin posted:

Well I try not to be such a huge douche in RDR so if you want to posse up for whatever let me know. PSN is HappyPantsDance

Sounds cool, shall do so. If you're on before me, add me. GaryDooton is the name. Thinking of changing my forums name to this. Once I have any hint of disposable income, that is.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Wow....

Kinda :tinfoil:

Just got hosed up by the Berenstain family in Tall Trees, and I give up, close down the xbox, and hop online. First story I see on CNN is "Grizzly bear on loose after mauling"

HOW DID THEY KNOW?!?!?!?

Any tips on the best gun to one shot bears with? Buffalo Rifle tends to just make em ornery.

Get yer buffalo rifle out, buy a load of tobacco and snake oil, then go into dead eye and aim right between the eyes. Don't tag them, just make use of the slow motion to get the crosshair right on his furry, Simon Cowell forehead and fire. They go down in one, no problem.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Mastiff posted:

Who said John Marston was a hero?

I'm presuming he's referring to the rank of his current honour level. The top rank is called "Hero".

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Seth was the best colour character in the game for me, hands down. It's a shame there wasn't more of him. If the debunking of the Old West is a tale of selfishness, anti-romance and greed, Seth was the greed.

I thought he was a great character, and the sunburnt face and sort of worn down, black fingertips were brilliant touches.

I also greatly enjoyed his final mission where you assault the abandoned mansion. When I did it, it was night time, raining heavily and there was thunder and lightning. Made it the best moment I'd had up to that point in the game. Fantastic.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

My nun appeared in Tall Trees to give me the trinket, and then she tried to walk into me to go past me, making John go "Hey, watch it sister!", the nun say "Good manners are free young man, I suggest you try and aquIREAAAAHHGGUUGGHHH" because a bear jumped up and slapped the hell out of her.

Uppity old bitch :colbert:

Appreciate the God bling though. Dunno if it works too well cause holy gently caress I was getting shot a lot after that, but hey, free bling.

Ahahahaha, amazing. Oh my christ, I've just thought, there absolutely has to be a "bears everywhere" cheat. Imagine how amazing it would be to have them running through Blackwater, loving poo poo up.

I just tried to lure one into town but they just turn away at a certain point. Why? It would be so amazing to have a bear tearing through Blackwater.

On a totally unrelated note, loving hell bastard cunting hellfires, I'm trying to get a ringer in horseshoes for the trophy (looking to platinum my first game ever) and it's poo poo as gently caress. I've even had it spin around the peg and then land a few centimetres away from the peg and it doesn't count. SAHSF:hawdlghwefjowhj, is all I can say. Why the poo poo can't I go into deadeye for this?

EDIT: ridiculous typo, ended up spelling "platinum" as "plllanutim"

Gazmachine fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 21, 2010

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Anyone experiencing problems with the new content? I've had a couple of freezes (well, occasions where I've been stuck on the loading screen, anyway) and I played The Kidnapped Girl 3 times in a row. First time it was fine, second and third times the event didn't trigger to spawn the girl and her captors on the roof, so we all just sort of stood there for a bit until I quit.

When they have been working they're pretty fun though. Best part so far is the big fight at Tumbleweed in The Escape. Quite enjoyed the Miners one too. Looking forward to the advanced coop stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Hunting challenge has been getting on my tits for a while now. I think I'm either missing a bighorn sheep or a duck. Or both. Definitely nabbed a songbird, a seagull and an owl, a wild horse and both types of bear (as well as all the other standard creatures).

• Locked thread