Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Well having beaten the storyline, tried to go back, been unable to, tried being desperado, deciding it sucked, writing a very lengthy post about it and then deleting it, my final conclusion is that there are two types of people who play these games: some people like storylines, some people like cheating and screwing around and making up their own games. Neither of those views is right or wrong, but I think that the way it ended (including the last few missions) catered way too much towards the people who like the storylines considering that this is an open-world game with potentially infinite replay value for the latter group, and if they'd ended it earlier it would have worked just fine for both groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KingShiro posted:

Ugh Sharpshooter Rank 10 is gonna be horrible.

I thought this was going to be a lot more difficult than it was. I tried a bunch of Deadeye poo poo with the Evans and it just wouldn't work for me, so I tried the suggestion in the OP sorta. Go to one of the gang hideouts, I liked Fort Mercer the best because it gives you the most cover and for the most part lets you access just one enemy at a time if you stay on the roof. Take the Carabano sniper rifle or whatever the one is called with the 5 round mag, you'll probably need one Deadeye refill, and just aim for their guns (not their hands, the actual guns). Using Deadeye refills your ammo without counting as a reload and if you need to walk someplace to find another enemy, just quickly go in and out of Deadeye to reload the weapon so it doesn't do it automatically.

poptart_fairy posted:

Asked this in the other thread, but lost track of it when this one appeared. :iiam:

Is there much point in replaying the game as the opposite 'alignment' once you've completed it once already?

I saw your question in the other thread and had been wondering the same thing, I don't think anyone even answered it. No, it's not worth it. The story seems to be the same no matter which way you do it (I haven't tested this out though) and the only real difference is with honor all the way down you make less money and everything is a lot more expensive.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The master hunter ones were a real pain in the rear end because they're the only ones where you have no control over finding the animals other than hearing a call and hoping you turn and find one. I went through 10 or 12 things of bait trying to lure out a cougar. Bait loving sucks, 9 times out of 10 it does almost nothing whatsoever unless I'm doing it wrong, the other time a cougar will instantly kill me as I'm backing away from it

go for the bait you retard

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah but at least wolves are easy to find. Now I'm on the skunks/racoons/foxes one and it's a bitch because racoons/skunks aren't animals that I run into during the course of normally playing the game since they run alone and don't really make noise

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Welp did the "bring a bounty back alive" in Chuparosa or whatever for the Bandito outfit and it didn't show up as marked off. That's the first I've seen of any sort of glitches so far, other than the buttons becoming unresponsive after a while when I was wearing the poncho. I'd imagine it'll just show up as done next time I do one

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Universe Master posted:

No poo poo. I do that, they drop their gun, shake their hand, and then...nothing.

Doesn't register.

1) try actually aiming for the gun using deadeye/a sniper rifle
2) maybe you've done the two disarms and need the two hats

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finally found a loving bear to knife, soften him up with the bolt action, get some distance and get off my horse without getting attacked, turn around and now there are three bears.

at least I saved.

edit: second time, found one alone, shot him in the head once, chased him down, knifed him twice

...got knocked down by a boar and then the bear turned and killed me.

edit 2: third time, same as first. god i hate this loving challenge

Pees With Boner fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 29, 2010

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know what JC2 is but the map in this is loving massive. Maybe like Fallout 3 size, I dunno I didn't play that game too much, but it puts GTA4 and San Andreas to shame

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, this horse thing is extremely confusing. I bought a deed for a new horse, and the golden horse from before (the same one described above), is it gone forever? I just read in a faq that it was one of the best horses in the game...

The "golden horse" is a Kentucky Saddler that you can buy the deed to from the store in Armadillo. I killed my first one because it kept wandering off.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah but why the gently caress should it immediately wander off the second I get off the drat thing? For my next horse the first thing I did I was kill another horse right in front of him to show him what would happen if he disrespected me like that.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
...and that's why I shoot my horses

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RBA Starblade posted:

Weren't people earlier saying there was a way to finish the game as John or something? What's that about?

I'd like to know this too

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
For rank 10 survivalist I just did it while I was doing other poo poo. You see a flower, pick it. I think it would have felt like a lot longer if I'd actively been searching out all 10 varieties of flowers. Except for the 10 violet snowdrops, it's something that you'll probably complete most of during the normal course of dicking around shooting birds which is essentially all I do in this having beaten the storyline

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
why the gently caress does marston talk to assholes he hates and do missions for them instead of just killing them

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
no, I'm done with the story and on one of the stranger missions where you have to get a white stallion for this fruitcake so he'll free the Chinese guy. Except he could have just been my 1,594th kill. The storyline aside, I wish they didn't make it so all the people you do missions for are so goddamned dislikable, I wish there were more like that old guy in Mexico

e: relatedly by "white stallion" do they mean the Hungarian? Cause that horse looks pretty goddamned gray to me

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They're part of the Master Hunter challenges which you can do in both SP and MP (obviously more fun in MP)

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Emron posted:

Oh cool! I'm one cougar away from rank 5 in SP, so I guess I'll see them soon or something.

not too soon--like lugubrious just said, not till challenges 9 and 10.

That's gay about the Hungarian cause I'd actually found one somewhere already tamed and ridden it to that stranger mission but it disappeared, unsurprisingly

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
god five finger fillet is so loving irritating. Does anybody know how many levels i have to win to get the unlock for the Reyes Rebels outfit

e: nvm

Pees With Boner fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 1, 2010

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Earlier one of the people in our posse came across a bunch of douchebags in Fort Mercer or something roleplaying as the US Army. I wish I'd been there

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
hahaha I just realized you can go up to the professor's hotel room in the Blackwater Hotel and it's just as he left it, with the suitcase on the bed and 10 or 12 empty liquor bottles. Seems like they would have cleaned up sometime in the 20 years that's elapsed since then.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
holy poo poo I have yet another newfound love for this game: riding into Thieves Landing in the elegant suit on the white Hungarian horse and killing everybody in sight

...while, of course, blasting the Boondock Saints theme (lovely quality)

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If all people want is a compelling storyline, they're not going to find it in a GTA game. Rockstar sucks rear end at writing storylines cause all they do is come up with a beginning, an end, and a required length, and then just fill the middle in with tangential bullshit and meaningless side characters. It took effort for me to keep the story/plot in mind in RDR and it has one of the better storylines of the recent R* games, and even then I forgot who "Escuela" was and still don't remember what happened to him or Bill Williamson. If they'd keep a few characters throughout the game and not just have you do five missions at a time for random people, it might track a little better. I thought Dutch and Landon Ricketts were the two strongest characters in the game, and neither was really used to their full potential; there were only like three Ricketts missions and the way the storyline was set up, every time Dutch stopped to talk you just ask yourself "why is John not killing this human being?"

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got caught cheating in poker, challenged to a duel. Using the High Power I fire seven rounds into his head and the last one at his gun as it sits uselessly on the ground. "Yep, I'm a Marston" :v:

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Red Dead Redemption: Whores, Outlaws, and Horrific Lovecraftian Cauliflower

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
After a series of failed attempts ending in duels I seem to have killed every poker player in Blackwater.

oops v:unsmith:v

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I got confused at the endgame and hit the right stick in, exiting Deadeye without shooting anyone and just getting gunned down :smith:

I also didn't bother killing Ross's wife and brother cause I didn't really care and I was afraid of failing the mission

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
this game needs one of those cattle stunners and a button that lets you ask "what's the most you've ever lost in a coin toss"

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just got 100%. I spent two hours waiting for a bounty that wasn't showing up on the social club site, finally got it, then realized the thing that was keeping me from 100% was the third mission with Bonnie doing that loving race where the horse jumps off a cliff if you come at that second bridge too fast which I had originally skipped. It took me less than 5 minutes.

The Bureau uniform is nice.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd imagine there will eventually be a cheat to play as John just like there's one to play as Jack, they just didn't want to release it right away because it would kinda SPOIL THE WHOLE GODDAMN GAME

Johnny Deformed posted:

OK I'm on 91% completion and I'm a little afraid of how addicted I am to this game at the moment, I only bought it on Monday!

But I tried the multiplayer and I can't say it's been that fun at all really. Are you supposed to have nothing and get completely destroyed by everyone all the time? And then it seems to re-spawn you near the guy that just killed you every time? Or is that just me?

Multiplayer in GTA4 sucked rear end too but you could turn FF off. Basically your best bet is getting on the meta tag and just playing with other people from SA

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It spawns in Tall Trees near Beecher's Hope

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stare-Out posted:

I do wish they'd brought Jack into the story earlier though. I really enjoyed the father-son thing they had at the end of the game, along with having to do all sorts of semi-mundane rancher stuff as John unlike in earlier Rockstar games where the story immediately ends after reaching the climax. Having Jack appear earlier in the game would've fleshed out the relationship between John and his son more and given John's death, and Jack's revenge even more impact. That said, the overall concept of having the main character's son take over for his father, receiving his outfits, weapons and money is pretty cool. And I don't mind playing as Jack that much, of course he's not as much of a badass as John was. Though his VO sounds weirdly like Jake Gyllenhaal.

Well put.

I think the whole point was that neither John nor Jack had a father figure in their lives

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You're probably missing ducks or seagulls

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I like accepting those "Howdy pard'ner! Think you can outshoot me/race me to collect poo poo? Let's make it a contest! :) " challenges and then waiting for the guy to turn around and immediately shooting him in the head

I've also been having fun launching dynamite missiles at birds. Infinite dead-eye/ammo and dead-eye level 2 cheats help with that.

As for the stranger missions everyone is talking about, there are some where you need to do certain strangers before you can do others. This is a pretty sweet guide I found for it all, don't know if it's been posted but it's what I used since SA threads tend to move way too fast and the OPs don't tend to get updated. All the stranger missions have spoilers in them but I just really couldn't bring myself to care about the little cutscenes or whatever. I never did "I Know You," I guess I could still do it with my pre-ending save but :effort:

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I didn't think to kill them because I didn't care

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
sign up on the rockstar social club site to see what you need. Take it with a grain of salt though because that website is broken as gently caress

porktree posted:

Wow, what a finish. I liked all the characters, Seth, Irish, West, Bonnie, all good.

So, I only need to do all the gang hideouts in 24 hours to get my 100%. What's the best way to do this? fast travel, or riding? Is there a particular order that is better than others?

I started all the way west and made my way east. Don't fast travel

Pees With Boner fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 20, 2010

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
does anyone know how the war horse compares with the other 3-star horses in terms of strength/speed

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

If you listen to him more, you can tell that Jack's mind is starting to slip as well and he's falling into the role that he assumes that his father had. When you go out hunting and he keeps mentioning that 'dad said I wasn't much of a hunter,' you realize that his bitterness is starting to affect his mind to the point where he's not misremembering reality, he's changing it so he's a permanent outlaw who always proves someone in authority wrong. His father didn't think he couldn't be a hunter, you dumb son of a bitch. He just said you shouldn't go off and start hunting BEARS on your own. But Jack seems to be really hosed up by the experience of having his entire family die in the span of a few years. Sure, the man responsible is now rotting in the Rio Grande and being used as Beaver food, but that doesn't reverse the incredible trauma that boy has experienced or the resultant mental illness that comes from that. And considering he's emulating his father while dismissing reality, one can only wonder what will really become of Jack Marston and his cowboy ways. He kinda picked the wrong time to become a cowboy now that everything from 1914 onwards starts changing the entire layout of the nation quite quickly. He'll be 35 when the Great Depression hits, and in his mid-forties when World War II begins. Not a good future for a cowboy there.

what's your honor level cause I've killed a fuckton of wildlife and never heard him say that

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah like maybe some new cheats nudge nudge wink wink

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't know which is more awesome, the prospect of playing through this game as Landon Ricketts or the fact that the free roam griefing fixes don't come until the third DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've always found that turning off the HUD in GTA games makes them more fun, especially GTA 4 with the wanted level system turned off so you have to just run until you don't hear cops anymore and even then you tend to lay low for a while. Turning off the radar and whatnot in RDR is arguably even more awesome cause you basically have to use your shadow/the time of day to figure out where the hell you're going

• Locked thread