Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Morter posted:

Alright so a moral conundrum: The only "non-endgame" save I have is in Mexico, deep in the middle of the Luisa/Reyes/Mexican Army mission triangle. All I really want to do is unlock Blackwater (and maybe get a high power pistol, but it's not needed), but other than that, I just want fully unlocked free roam (and I have to work for my goddamned Legend of the West coat again :bahgawd:). There's really little left for me to do in Single Player but goddamn it, immersion-wise I might be happy.

Should I do it? I'm afraid that if I go through Mexico again I'll resent the game...what do I do? :sigh:

Go for it. To be honest Mexico wasn't too bad if you just fast travel everywhere. The wide open space sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the reason I stuck through this one was that the game had mission checkpoints. In GTA, if you failed, you had to repeat a good 5-7 minutes of gametime for no good reason.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I still can't get the hang of loving poker so I can get this Walton gang outfit and move on.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Seriously, I loving loved the way the end played out, but that's because I basically did that whole Stranger mission as soon as the setup for it happened, and had already completed everything else prior to the endgame, so it just came together SO well.

On a total aside, I wonder what ends up happening to Landon Ricketts? Out of all the other characters in the game, I think he was my favorite... maybe tied with the Marshall, but we didn't really get to see enough of the Marshall... then again we didn't really get to see much of Ricketts, either.

The marshall has by far my favorite mission in the game when you go to the McFarlane Ranch and see the guy hanging in the barn naked and try to find out who did it. Just a level of mystique and horror that had not been seen up to that point.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I wonder what they are going to do to even fix it? I know I stopped playing once they gimped the xp from Solomon's Folly. I really didn't see who it was hurting but gently caress spending even more time trying to level up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sir Spaniard posted:

I was doing a cattle herding mission last night, which lead over some train tracks. They ran into a train as it was charging past. :( I lost 8 of the stupid things. And then, once they were out where they needed to be? A cougar attacked me and my horse died. Bears may be instant kill machines, but cougars are total pricks.

Edit: I finished the game... I think. Am I supposed to go somewhere/do something with Jack? (I thought at first he was John's ghost) Or does it just become a 'free roam' after that?

Go to Blackwater.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Methodis posted:

Wait there's actually content after that one point? I thought it was just another stranger mission.

IF you havent seen the end credits there is.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

What happens if You kill ross durring the last stand? I sort of killed a random troop rather than do some real damage

I dont think he is there.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

OK, so the Herbert Moon thing might be the best unintentional Easter Egg R* has done yet.

I got him pissed enough that he went after me, and he also ran away as soon as the law came by. Now he's just behind the buildings hiding in some rocks and he's got three cops shooting at him from three different angles. He wastes 2 of them (after taking way, way too many to the chest) and the third sheriff basically goes "gently caress This" and goes away. Mr. Moon is no longer interested in killing me, so he takes off West towards the tracks. I, being a good Samaritan decide it is time to bring him to justice. In short, I disarm him and shove his now limping rear end back into town. As soon as we hit city limits though? He draws another rifle on me. Johnny law will have none of it this time and corrals him in his own store, but they can't fight him very well in there. So I brave the hail of bullets, and lasso his rear end and drag him through the street. The best part though, these honorable lawmen are blasting away at the tied up, helpless old man, while I'm dragging him around. Best moment ever.

I am going to spend the next few hours seeing if any other characters have this same bug. Of course, nothing beats Herbert Moon screaming "Herbert Moon isn't going to take any more of this poo poo!"

Maybe its for shopkeepers in general. Try it on another one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Scarf posted:

Although if anyone wants to photoshop a Marsten-esque cowboy hat onto my avatar, I wouldn't be against it :3:

Darth Brooks posted:

You know what you must do now, Scarf.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

HERBERT MOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

I'm an awful person

You know. I never put 2 and 2 together that my University President looked like Herbert Moon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sir Spaniard posted:

Just bought the liars and cheats addon, after playing co-op with davebo. Hope it was worth it, but it was cheap enough.

Also, here's the weirdest glitch I've found. Horse people. It's not like the flying people one. It's a lot stranger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IrYfrOiCrY

There is a spoiler in this link, so if you havent beaten the game then dont click on it. But the cat is probably out of the bag by now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sir Spaniard posted:

There is? If so, my bad.

Also, I meant to say the legends and killers pack.

The character Jack Marston is the spoiler

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Id like to see Herbert Moooooooonnnnn Vs. an army of cougars.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

What is the strategy for winning in Poker against the AI. Every time I play, I always lose a shitload.

Liars Dice is awesomely fun though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I've only been able to get Herbert Moooooon to shoot at me once. Otherwise, he just runs out of his store's back door and into the desert. Then he makes a 180 degree turn a mile away and walks back in from the front like nothing happened. Does he only shoot back if it's a specific gun or weapon?

I had to get into a fight with him first and then he usually hauls rear end out of town, then after I pull a gun on him, he stops and pulls out a weapon of his own.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Got RDR today. :toot: Playing through the single player right now, we'll have to play some games on PSN, goons. My PSN is Kyleh614

I just did the horse race against Bonnie McFarlane and she glitched her stupid rear end right into a tree and got trapped and I won.

Heh, I am finally nearing 100 percent completion. I usually don't do that for games I own, but this game seems to be calling out to me to do it.

Also a hint. Use expert targeting in single player. I think it makes the game much better to play instead of aiming like some sort of auto aiming maniac. I find myself using Dead eye alot more often this way instead of rarely using it on normal targeting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well I guess that is enough single player for me until Rockstar releases a patch to fix my map locations not registering. Im stuck at 99.9% because some glitch is loving with my locations discovered stat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

That's weird. Did you the locations by buying the maps at general stores or just finding them on your own?

I bought the maps at the general stores, but the game is glitched saying that I have one more location discovered than actually exists in the starting area and I am short one in West Elizabeth and Nuevo Paraiso. Thing is, when I use the Rockstar Social Club site to see what I missed, I go back to the locations and explore them and still nothing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Corzaa posted:

I'm quite late to the Red Dead Redemption party so I was wondering,since I know the story spoilers I have a question about when to save before John Marston dies so I don't have to deal with lovely Jack and if anyone had a spare War Horse code I could take it off your hands perhaps :shobon:

Also I'm buying that DLC on day one.

I say just create a separate save before "And the Truth Will Set You Free", its the last one before you go to your ranch. Also, Jack Marston owns.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Corzaa posted:

Which mission is that after?

Its after "And You Will Know the Truth"

basically these these are the missions before the ranch missions, so you still have some leeway, but I can't remember if they let you change your outfit after you get to the ranch.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

A Quiet American posted:

I spent a couple hours this morning grinding Pike's Basin while listening to an audiobook on a flash drive. I am slowly realizing that I will never, ever have a zonkey.

Yeah, its seriously mindnumbing to try to grind. I wish they never nerfed the Solomon's Folly XP because you could do that one in less than 2 minutes with a group of at least 2 or 3. I hope they roll out some more double or even triple XP weekends

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

You can shoot him before you enter the duel. You will fail, but its just so right

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Hopefully this will turn the Wreck of the Serendipity into something more awesome.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Fuzz posted:

There's a song? I didn't get any song. :smith:

It plays when you get sent on your way to Escalera

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

eletist posted:

I just got a ps3 and RDR. I had played it at my friends on her xbox and it seemed to run a lot smoother on hers. Do you guys with ps3 seem to get graphical lag/low frame rate? I'm even getting it in cut scenes. Are there any settings that could help with it? I didn't notice any graphical lag when i was playing it on my friends xbox. :(

I have a sony bravia ex 40-500 TV if that means anything. I just got the TV and ps3 last friday. Thanks for possibly answering my retarded questions. I am loving the game so far. Mexico is awesome, even if i get assraped by coyotes whenever i go out at night.

Foller Charlie. He's a good one to sniff out trouble.:dogout:

You might check to see if your TV has a game mode. That might reduce your video lag a little bit.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Just got out of a game with Darth Brooks. Leveled quite a few times starting at Solomons Folly and ending up at Pikes Basin. But by that time, the asshats had logged in were doing nothing but shooting us while we were trying to do it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I don't know, it works in regards to coming across the unexpected. RDR works because the open world allows a variety of situations that can either turn good or go horribly bad. The zombies just add another layer to that. It's not as deep as the original, but it's fun because you have to deal with people just charging you and keeping you off balance while you slaughter them. On top of that, the side missions are where the game really shines with various bonuses and the like.

I think they dropped the ball by not adding human enemies, while UN is decent, it would have been much better and less monotonous if you had to contend with actual armed enemies.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Who Dat posted:

CLEARLY someone doesn't like Left 4 Dead. :colbert:

Left 4 Dead was made for that kind of gameplay. RDR isn't. :colbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Tewratomeh posted:

I get the feeling that you never did much cougar or bear-hunting in the vanilla game. Undead Nightmare is basically just that except now you have cougars that walk upright, attack in packs of a dozen or more, have ranged attacks and can pull you off of horses.

Close-up combat isn't that bad in RDR. It boils down to: use a rifle for far-off enemies, switch to pistol if they get up close, and when they start getting really close you either get your rear end to high ground or pull out your shotgun. And there's nothing that says you can't climb on poo poo to take out zombies from up high... in fact the game pretty much encourages it.

As for headshots, I always use expert aiming. :clint:

I did, but cougars and bears are much more deadly than the zombies. But the point is, that after you clear out a few towns, you realize that its the same poo poo over and over again, with a strategy that is nothing more than kite once they get too close and deadeye when you have it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Well I finally did it. I finally got 100%. I would have gotten it much sooner if the game hadn't of glitched the gently caress out and wouldn't let me discover new locations, but apparently Rockstar released a fix on the 2nd of December that fixed the problem. So all I had to do was rediscover 4 locations and recapture a bounty as Plata Grande, and it finally unlocked the Bureau Uniform.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

tophet posted:

Thanks. What's expert aim? When I was done I was looking through the trophy list and saw that listed but don't know how to enable it or whatever. Also I can't believe I played this all day and have 3% of the trophies, that makes me feel bad at the game.

Go to targeting and change it to expert. It completely turns off the auto aim.

Also I think I am only at like 40% despite having 100 percent completion in the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

isk posted:

outfit sperg inc

Basically I would've been completely content with the collared shirt and tie / vest / neat trousers outfit that was prolific in concept art. Hell, Marston's wearing it on the game cover. I understand why it wasn't in the game (too plain, doesn't stand out against the other characters) and why Marston's standard outfit is as it is (ratty, shows conflict between law and outlaw, the west and civilization, gives you something to progress from) but drat.

That's one thing I liked about GTA IV. It's pretty easy to make Niko look decent early on, and it only gets better from there. Outside of the Deadly Assassin outfit (which is largely reuse/recoloring of existing assets) it's a long time before Marston can stop looking like a sweat-stained hooligan (which he largely is, I'm just saying I'd like the option). And even then, the Legend of the West outfit doesn't stand up to the concept art very well.

It's why I like postgame. The US Marshals outfit is natty as gently caress.

*edit - vvvv - forgot about the Gentleman's suit. It's alright but didn't do it for me. Like I said, outfit spergin

You get it at the end of the Undead Nightmare campaign, but I wish it was available in the regular campaign as well.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I played Undead Nightmare again to just mess around and explore and stuff, ended up finding pestilence, tamed him, then got back on Death and accidentally fell into the water at Thieves Landing. Whistled for my horse when I respawned, pestilence showed up and then I got sick of having him and shot him in the head. Whistled again hoping Death would show up since I never hitched Pestilence, then some default horse showed up and I turned off the game in rage.

I lost my Death horse :smith:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Knuc If U Buck posted:

From what I remember, people who kill people in free roam are usually awful. If you stop for five minutes and own the poo poo out of them for a bit then they usually give up.

Yeah, Darth Brooks and I were trying to grind levels at hideouts and people would stop by and start killing us, and we usually would just stop and start killing them over and over again. They usually eventually give up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Chinaski posted:

I'm nearing the end of the game. I'm doing the missions at Marston's Ranch and all of them seem to involve herding loving cattle. I haven't played it in a while because I got Uncharted. I need motivation to finish it - do things get more exciting?

Sort of. You are only about 2 or 3 missions away from the end. Shouldnt take more than 20 min.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Is there a completion bug or something? I thought I'd just snap up the last few percent and get the bureau uniform before starting the expansion, but it's stuck on 99.5%. I've went down the list of everything required and checked it against my stats and there isn't a single thing I'm missing. :spergin: Like, I've double checked and even redone a few things just to make sure. I'm about ready to just drop it but it's annoying to leave it there, especially after I wasted time doing more bounty missions just for the completion. I don't have live so I can't check the social club list, I've been checking against the wiki.

e: The loving lists specifically say only 18 stranger missions are required but apparently there's a 19th tucked away. I guess I got trolled.

Did you make sure you have all the locations discovered?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Morter posted:

Oh yeah, that's a good idea. I was missing two places, and one place was this odd area between West Elizabeth and New Austin. I think it was near the Pacific RR Camp or something

Yeah, there was that, Tanner's Reach I think? And some bridge all in the same area that you have little reason to visit that I missed. There was also Plata Grande in Mexico.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Also gently caress a guy riding past taking a pot shot at the bear you're torch jousting and killing it.

Thats when you shoot that fucker in the face for getting in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think i got most of my money from doing bounties and the treasure hunting. Those are very lucrative.

• Locked thread