Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Martytoof posted:

I must be profoundly bad at deadeye or something because I've got to shoot hats off dudes' heads and I can't help but headshot them instead :(

Yeah, the deadeye tends to autoaim a bit. Just find someone stationary, get up somewhat close with a rifle, and shoot the side brim of their hat, not the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

merk posted:

Problems with single-player game:
  • Bonnie has the most annoying voice ever
  • Rockstar forced random things in to be "edgy"
  • Characters repeat themselves 9000 times
  • John Marston threatens to shoot every friendly NPC in every mission for not giving him Bill Williamson immediately
  • Bill Williamson is a boring villain
  • Mexico missions drop you off 15 minutes away from civilization every time
  • Herding cattle

All that said, I still think the game is worth buying. The multiplayer is fantastic, and the story combined with the single-player gamplay is "good enough" to justify playing it through.

Bill Williamson is not a villain. He's barely an antagonist, even. Nor is he supposed to be.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 1, 2010

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Ez posted:

Well, I just finished the game and I have to say, while I didn't exactly like the ending, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Mainly, I don't like the fact that I can't play as John anymore. It's really cruel that you play through the whole game with one character, you watch his journey, his interaction with people and the world, you grow attached to him, then he gets killed and you have to play the game with someone you just met, and you don't get to see him interact with any of the characters, therefore the game doesn't build his. But, it is just a game and in the end it doesn't make that much of a difference, but I really did like John and I want to play with him again.

Also, the revenge against Moss (I think that was his name) was very, very weak and unsatisfying. You spend 5 minutes tracking him down, do the whole "You killed my pa!" and blam, he's dead. It seemed so empty to me, I was hoping for a really nice revenge to wrap up the story.

That aside, at least the game did something totally unique and different with it's ending. Even though it's not a happy one, it's definitely original.

This is all totally intentional. END SPOILERS Jack has no purpose. The only thing in his life is taking revenge on an old man who's already won in every way and has lived a full, ripe life. All he has to look forward to in life is wandering around with no purpose; Just like John would've started out like. Despite John's efforts to give his son a better life, the cycle continues. Jack is just an angry young man with no family and no direction in life.

Oh, and it's also a neat way for the game to go "Okay, you finished the story, now you can stop roleplaying and just dick around as much as you want." Let's face it, your behavior after you beat a sandbox game gets way crazier than when you're doing missions.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Howard Beale posted:

Well, I figure it's a nod to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. They're hopelessly outnumbered with no chance of escape. There's nothing else to do but go out shooting. Although I really hoped I could've hit Ross' sidekick if I couldn't get Ross right then.

Ross calmly lighting his cigar while John gasps his last breaths is an incredible shot. It makes Jack's "okay, now I'm done" reaction to his revenge feel more hollow. In this story, the good guy wins eventually but the bad guy gets the satisfaction.

Except you can't call it a win at all. Ross is considered a hero, and is instrumental in shaping the way the country ends up; in a sense, he's responsible for the world you and I now inhabit. Sure, he's eventually gunned down, but by then he's an old man in retirement. He has no regrets, he's not even remorseful, just kinda annoyed that you interrupt his duck hunt. Ross wins, no matter how you look at it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Danger Mahoney posted:

I dunno, I thought the uneducated revisionist moralizing rang a little hollow in a game that prominently features mass murder and had just encouraged me to blast several hundred animals, including a loving Mexican jaguar. Also, the vaguely racist "noble savage" beatifying made me pretty uncomfortable, like I was watching a game about how Asians are good at math.

He's not a noble savage, he's just not an idiot, which is what everyone assumes he is. He's not running around throwing flowers around and talking about the beauty of nature, he's just an average dude who happens to be Native American, and everybody treats him like he spends all his time whooping and hollering inside a teepee all day.

Also, people kinda hunted back then. It was a huge industry in the turn of the century. The game's not making a moral call about it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dogen posted:

Jesus Christ I'm at 99.8%, my social club thing isn't updated quite right, and I'm pretty sure I need 2 bounty locations but can't loving tell which ones and I'm in Mexico and getting Plata Grande and Hendidura Grande over and over AARRRRGH

Check your ingame stats menu. There are 8 locations in New Austin, 8 in Mexico, and 4 in West Elizabeth. If any of those numbers don't match up, then go to that region and do bounty missions. The fact that you keep getting the same ones in Mexico mean you've already done all the Mexico locations.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ruddiger posted:

So what's the 13th safehouse? On the Rockstar Social Club page, it says I have 12 of 13 with the 13th one grey'd out so I can't even see the name of it or where it's at to purchase. It kind of looks like END OF GAME SPOILERS a grave but it could also be a lovely spring bed. I dunno.

It is ENDGAME SPOILER Jack's Bed at Beecher's Hope

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Yeah, I was totally expecting to get a bounty put on me for shooting a bald eagle when I saw one in-game. Sadly, Rockstar missed out on the opportunity to put in something funny like that. :(

Being able to completely exterminate an entire species buffalo from the face of the earth and getting an achievement for it doesn't qualify?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

PhattWebb posted:

I'm losing my mind a little bit, trying to find something out. I remember reading somewhere about a challenge/achievement/other bonus for cracking a safe in one go without any mistakes. I'm pretty much dead certain I've read it on the RDR Social Club site, but I can't find it anywhere. Any help goons?

It's one of the three challenges of one of the social club challenges, but the one that's exclusive to the PS3.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Is Jack bipolar or something? One moment his dialogue is all "hey paw i love you paw" "that was great paw" "i'm havin so much fun paw" and then he's all "i don't need your help paw arrrrrg i'm so teen emo"

I know he's been through some poo poo but the sequence in which they play his dialogues makes it just so inconsistent.

I see you've never been 16 before.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ALFbrot posted:

I kind of dig the way you can switch your third-person shoulder orientation by hitting left and right on the d-pad.

Me too, although the sperger in me is like "They could've just had a one-button toggle for that and had a whole other button to do something with", although I can't actually think of anything.

Oh, maybe a quick map button. Yeah, that'd be nice.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

OgNar posted:

I haven't finished reading the thread yet but, if you play any game without at least 2-3 running saves you are just begging for one of them to get corrupted.

Questions that I haven't seen answered yet. Are there any items that I should save for later? i.e. antlers, meat or flowers of any sort for a mission. Or just sell the lot when I get them?
Also am I screwing up any missions by wandering into towns and killing the lot, I'm having too much fun just wandering around looking for trouble to get in to.

Three of all three type of flower you can find in New Austin, and you might want to hold onto a total of 20 bird feathers (any type, doesn't have to be all the same kind, just a total of 20 across all types)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Sco Dylan posted:

Why would you not want to complete the Treasure Hunter challenge? That's one of the funnest things in the game, IMO. I almost wish they were endless.

I was incredibly bummed there wasn't some way to make infinite randomized treasure hunter quests, yeah.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Philip J Fry posted:

Link?

I know Marston's father was blind in both eyes (after a bar fight or something) but I don't remember any mention of John being blind at all.

I mean, at the very least, if Marston was blind in one eye, he would be a TERRIBLE shot.

Maybe it's just somebody getting confused by the eyepatch on the preorder outfit.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

So when're they gonna go ahead and make Deadly Assassin available to everyone? I'm pretty sure they're not gonna be selling anymore preorders, right?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Doppelganger posted:

This man would like a word with you.

When Snake aims a gun in Peace Walker, he's holding it in front of his missing eye.

The only explanation for this is that Big Boss is so good at shooting, he doesn't even have to see his gun to do it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Well, now I wish I han't spoiled myself. I read all about the story of Undead Nightmare and from the way it was talked about in this thread, it sounded like it was a Bad End-type story. I won't be getting it now that I know everything that goes on in the plot, but drat. That'll teach me to read reactions to games before I buy them :downs:

It is not at all what your spoiler suggests it is.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Northwest Smith posted:

I'm sorry if tthis has come up before, but I'm not going to trawl through all those pages.

in a duel how do you fire before emptying your gun.In rvolver it was the right stick, but that doesn't seem to work in redeemer

You don't, pretty much. To end the duel, you either have to fill your bar, fire every shot your gun has, or let the time expire.

Since I'm a sucker for one-shotting dudes in duels, I tend to line up one well-aimed shot to the face, then wait for the duel timer to run out. As long as your bar is higher than your opponent's, you'll win.

But yeah, I do wish there was a way to go "Yeah, I'm good, lemme shoot now".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

A good boy posted:

Yeah. When I do that I just get a list over dlc.

Yeah, and what he's saying is that's not what you're supposed to do. Don't go to downloadable content, start a single-player game, and the game will ask if you want vanilla RDR or UN.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The game explains the campfire system in one of the early Armadillo missions, and even before then is like "HEY LOOK A CARRIAGE I BET YOU CAN RIDE THAT TO GET PLACES".

I will never, however, underestimate the ability of video game players to completely ignore presented information, no matter how critical.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think it teaches the cover mechanic in the "Hanging Bonnie McFarlane" mission, but it's been a long time since I played that early in the game.

Even earlier than that. The first Marshall mission. "Quick, John take some cover behind those rocks!" (Press RB to take cover behind rocks)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

I'd also like to know this (I already have Undead Nightmare). Would my £8.50 be better off spent on some Arcade games?

Do you like RDR multiplayer? Would you like to add more to it? Then get the packs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

omg car crash posted:

Should I be waiting to finish the main game before I play Undead?

The end of Undead gives away the ending of RDR, and the ending of RDR is something you definitely want to experience unspoiled.

I'd say yes. Feel free to dick around in Undead for a bit if you want, but don't get too into it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Vizrt posted:

Wait, what? There's more plot after the barn scene with John and the lawmen?

Yep. Game's not over 'til you see credits.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Vizrt posted:

Huh, I started playing as John's son and thought the story was over. There's more plot after you switch characters?! I could have sworn I didn't see anything on the map.

I wonder what Jack would make of the bustling metropolis of Blackwater. Hint hint.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

I wasn't opposed to it in principle; but, if they wanted to go that route, why not just have Marston killed right after he gets them Dutch? At least that way the farm missions that followed could have used Jack Marston and have shown him come of age. Having John do those ranch missions after leading a bloody rebellion in Mexico and storming fort after fort was anticlimactic, especially since he already did rancher missions to begin the game. Having Jack do them could have provided a more fleshed-out epilogue where he builds up the farm and produces a life that his father wanted for him.

The point of the game is that despite everything you struggle to do as John to make a better life for his family, Jack ends up falling into the exact same cycle of violence that he did. It's an artistic statement, and you're not supposed to be satisfied with it. Sometimes the good guys don't get to ride off into the sunset.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Cheezymadman posted:

Goddammit, the temptation to read all these spoilers is killing me. I just met Senor Reyes, I doubt I'm anywhere near the end.

You most definitely do not want to read these spoilers. Fight the urge, man!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rookersh posted:

About how long is Undead Nightmare?

And if I have no interest whatsoever in multiplayer or cooperative play, should I just grab the $10 Undead Nightmare download only, or are the other parts of the overall Undead Nightmare disc pack worth the $25? Honestly, the only two I care about are UN, and MAYBE Outlaws to the End if I can convince a buddy to grab the game, but I figure I can just throw $10 at that problem later if it comes up.

If you have no interest in multiplayer whatsoever, then you should just grab Undead Nightmare, since every other DLC is exclusively multiplayer content. As for length, I'd say around 3 hours at a total guess, not counting all the time you spend looking for sidequests and unlocking stuff.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Capn Beeb posted:

Does Undead Nightmare add tomahawks or is that just uhh... Liars and Cheats addition?

Cause chopping up zombies with tomahawks loving owns.

That's one of the other packs, yeah. Same with the explosive rifle. But then, you have a gun in UN that lets you explode zombies with their own body parts, so...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Philip J Fry posted:

Didn't see this posted yet, so:

I always wondered when they were going to release those challenges for the avatar awards. Kind of a lame way to do it, but at least they didn't just sweep it under the rug.

Hope this means folks without a gold account aren't poo poo out of luck.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

PhattWebb posted:

Now that the XP challenge is over and the avatar awards are unlocked, how do I go about actually getting them? They're still showing up as locked in the avatar editor, is there a new challenge to do, or something else?

You literally have to go into single player and save your game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

Characters will sometimes comment on your honor. For example, if you have high honor and are arrested the police will make a comment like "We hate to do this."

Not only this, YOUR comments will change based on honor. Pressing the button to tip your hat at people will have an honorable Marston say things like "Good day ma'am" and "how are you, sir?", while a dishonorable Marston will say things like "You have a face like a slapped rear end, sir".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

A full year after the game's come out, meaning most people have 100%'ed the game several times over and have little desire to play the singleplayer again.

Bravo, Rockstar.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Philip J Fry posted:

I'm doing my third playthrough now and just opened up Blackwater. I've left all of the stranger missions alone so that Jack can do them, in the interest of becoming the man his parents wanted him to be. Also for any interesting alternate dialogue...

That won't work. The stranger missions are only doable by John. If you don't do them before the switch, they're gone forever.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, you can do all of them as Jack from start to finish if you missed them, except for that one specific one that everyone already knows about.

Huh. Did not know that. I just may have to do an unspoiled "no sidequests until beating the game" playthrough, then.

twistedmentat posted:

So I'm buckling down to play this, as other things kept getting in the way. I get to the mission where I'm helping West with his olde tyme medicine show, and the guy wants me to shoot his hat. It tells me to push R3 for deadeye mode, and well, hitting R3 just makes me look behind me.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Well, you're probably going to want to have your gun out to shoot that hat, so it might help if you took your gun out, maybe?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Boondock Saint posted:

Clearly this is a nod to the NYPD's Broken Window theory of policing.

So is there anymore DLC coming out for this, or are they more a less finished with this game?

I would imagine if there were any more DLC planned, we'd have heard about it by now. It's pretty safe to say that there exists as much content for RDR as there ever will.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Sco Dylan posted:

I know it's true, but even just reading your post cut deep. I love this game.

You're not alone. I keep hoping that one day I'll wake up and Rockstar has announced another single player expansion, but this time it's just everything changed to be more like a spaghetti western; Morricone soundtrack and all.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm right at the end now, will finish it tomorrow before playing Nightmare. :ohdear:

Isn't over til you've seen credits, remember.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Yeah, one in the balls, seven in the head :argh:. I'm now dithering at 98% completion, not sure what I'm missing. Got all outfits, challenges, weapons and hideouts. I just want that bureau uniform then I'm done.

Gotta say that I thought the ending was really good and a nice departure from a lot of games. Red Dead in general has been a hugely satisfying experience and I can see myself picking it back up again sometime. Undead Nightmare didn't come today as expected, should be having more Marston fun tomorrow night.

e: Guess there must be one or two jobs I'm missing.

If you're a member of the rockstar social club, you can go to the website and check out a list showing exactly what you're missing for 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

xcore posted:

Picked this game up yesterday and i am loving it. So drat much to do!!!

I got some code with the game that comes with unlocks. There was a couple of outfits (assassin was one of them, another was one that gives bonus to skinning things and maybe another). I also got the golden guns.

I have received the golden guns already and the game said i have unlocked/discovered the outfits, but the outfits are unavailable. I still have a massive checklist of tasks to do to actually get access to them. Is this correct? What was the point of the codes? Are these 100% not in the game if you don't have access to the codes or something?

Correct, if you didn't have the codes, those items were completely not in the game. Except they recently made them available to everybody for a small amount of points.

• Locked thread