Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Alright so a moral conundrum: The only "non-endgame" save I have is in Mexico, deep in the middle of the Luisa/Reyes/Mexican Army mission triangle. All I really want to do is unlock Blackwater (and maybe get a high power pistol, but it's not needed), but other than that, I just want fully unlocked free roam (and I have to work for my goddamned Legend of the West coat again :bahgawd:). There's really little left for me to do in Single Player but goddamn it, immersion-wise I might be happy.

Should I do it? I'm afraid that if I go through Mexico again I'll resent the game...what do I do? :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I was doing a stranger mission that involved a duel right after you start talking to them. The thing was, right before I got close enough to initiate talking (which wasn't prompted by a button, you just have to get close enough), I whipped out my sawed-off shotgun. That didn't change the cutscene of Marston and the stranger, but when the duel passby's started, they showed the enemy with his hand near his holster, and me with my sawed-off in my hand. Even when the camera went to my hand to let me duel, Marston kept his hand on his sawed off, raised, ready to shoot. I thought 'what the hell', and when it told me to draw, I put two crosshairs on my enemy, and Marston automatically shot both rounds of his sawed-off and reloaded. To which I thought: "loving AWESOME! I JUST WON A DUEL WITH A SAWED-OFF :woop:"

Then the game glitched out to the point where half of the buttons didn't work and I had to reload :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Kiwillian posted:

I guess so. Just had the nun show up with the rosary thing. Took it, put the bandana on and shot her in the back. Marston says "drat, I'm messed up."

You sure are.

Jesus Christ, how many loving dudes are gonna get the rosary before I do?! :argh:

Super endgame spoilers regarding the Rosary: Can Jack get the rosary? Or only John?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright, I'm pretty loving :argh: at Poker.

Can someone explain what side pot and main part are? I finally got a nice hand (jack high flush) after near a hundred bad hands overall, and I get a 2.5k chip pot, and the drat thing gets split before anyone even shows their hand. I won both side and main pot, but I didn't get the loving achievement.

WHAT THE HELL?! :rant:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Davincie posted:

I was going for a bounty but ended up doing a hideout along the way, which made the bounty dissapear. Can I still do it at a later time?

Bounties sort of "expire", but they are considered random things anyway (ie: they're not fully scripted), so you can just do a different bounty later.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

Liar's Dice is such horseshit

Funnily enough, I managed to get that "No Dice" achievement doing Lights Camera Action, my last stranger mission. That guy stunk, and it was my 2nd time playing Liar's Dice, too :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Not that I'm going to update every few minutes, but I just made it up to the first commercial...and I don't know what to think.

It seems to pretty much use cutscenes and a few action shots from a Marshall Johnson mission. I hope there's going to be some sort of direction soon...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

One thing that some people seem to be regarding as a bug but I regard as a feature is how, when you call your horse, it runs past you instead of just stopping. That way, if you hit triangle at the right time, you can jump on and keep going the direction you were at high speed instead of having to accelerate again.

Now, ideally, that's how that is supposed to work, especially when I'm running in a certain direction to begin with. If, however, I'm static, with no place to go, and my horse runs for me: No matter what tactic I use, the horse will swerve around me, boosting in speed just as he gets close enough, then will actually turn just enough to go back IN THE DIRECTION HE STARTED so I end up having to chase him and then do a 180 and regain ground to where I once started :bahgawd:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Anyone have any idea what the titles for Weapons might be, or when they unlock? I quickly scroll through the weapon challenges list, and see that they only unlock XP, but there's a whole titles section for weapons in the outfitter. I googled to no avail, and would love to at least earn a shotgun-type title, but that probably won't be feasible if I have to get 75 PvP shotgun kills or whatever.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Smashlampjaw posted:

So, just got done playing this for like 5 hours straight, all I have to say is gently caress YOU DE SANTE and :lol: at me killing you by pushing you and kicking your human being rear end down.

I got him by shooting him in the crotch, but I didn't get the credit for killing him, letting me come out the good guy anyway. It was great to have him have his comeuppance, with me ending up innocent. :dance:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Solly posted:

This may have been posted before but in case it hasn't, here is some of the music from the game.

http://thewoundedjukebox.wordpress.com/2010/05/22/the-music-of-red-dead-redemption/

The Jose Gonzalez one plays just as you enter Mexico, I know its kind of sad, but at that moment the sun was going down and everything seemed just lovely.

Also is it just me or after flowers for a lady if you go into his shack he blasts his wife's head clean off, unfortunately I didn't go back in until I heard the bang, but her head was rolling on the floor.

If you bump into her, the same thing happens :mmmhmm:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So does the social club 100% thing fully function yet? Cause I"m taking a look at it now and while it accurately says I have 93.3% done, it says I only discovered 6 locations out of 94, and have done no strangers or ambient challenges. This is my first time looking at it.

If it's still on the fritz, then it's okay, but if someone's got it working without a glitch, do I have to wait a while before looking again or something?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I never thought I could get much more satisfaction out of the game since beating it, but I've proven myself wrong.

Since deciding to 100% the game, I went through costume objectives, including "Bust out the entire Blackwater poker table". Having tried an accumulated hour or so just to get a 2000 chip hand in the past, I knew there'd be some hard-loving-times, so I kept trying my luck by going to the table to wait until there was only one person left (and whenever there wasn't, just violently shove the 2-4 people that were there, then go far enough to have the table reload). Finally I came upon the table when Visor "4-Eyes" McCheatdick was the only one there. Somehow, only a few hands in, I came upon a full house that turned into a 4 of a kind, which I quickly went All In, as did he. In one fell swoop, I busted him out. He left.

The satisfaction came in the 5+ minutes (really, that's a long time) I spent shoving his body into metal objects, window panes, and tables. Even more funny was pressing B as he fell to hear a "Howdy, Mister!" only to have his body, about half the time, instantly snap into a standing position and greet me back like I wasn't harassing him. I did so until I chased him clear out of Blackwater.

Now I have experienced Redemption! :arghfist::clint:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

How do they pick up my trail? I've never had that happen before. My bounty is only $1. Is that enough for them to come after me?

I think your bounty has to be 2k-2.5k in order for the marshals/mexican army to go after you.

Dirk Digglet posted:

has anyone else kidnapped a damsel and lassoed her to some train tracks?

this game is the best game

Only the people trying to do that achievement :buddy:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm so glad, by the way, that I looked at the Red Dead Wiki to find out that when the US Marshal costume said "Gang Hideouts", they meant only the New Austin ones. I was wondering how the gently caress they expected me to cross the border and take out the other couple of mexican hideouts without camping or otherwise.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Heti posted:

I guess I'll take the zero responses as a no then. I can't find any mention of it's quality or any evidence of it actually airing so I guess it was pretty mediocre then.

It was pretty much just cutscenes and 1-2 (pretty meh) action scenes leading up to the attack on Fort Mercer

Edit: I'm under the impression that you have to get the bounties alive for them to count in 100%. Since no one's mentioning alive or not, and I certainly don't need the money (I'm in post game), can I just shoot every bounty?

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 1, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Hal Gill username posted:

Herbert Mooooooooooooooooooooooooon

Holy poo poo, the merchant at Chuparosa does the same loving thing.

Roughly translated, when he gets robbed:

:ese: posted:

Help! Someone, help! Help Marcos Pichardo!

Who the gently caress told 1900's merchants to talk in the 3rd person? :arghfist:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Molothecat posted:

This is a foreign language to me.

How a metatag works is:

Someone makes a "dummy" gamertag called a "metatag". Example: RedDeadGoons

Everyone interested in joining the metatag sends a friend request to RedDeadGoons

Creator of metatag accepts whoever asks to be friended, or sometimes gives out the account info so others can expedite the request acceptance.

To use the metatag: You go to RedDeadGoons' profile, go to "View Friends", and from there, you can see what every other goon who "joined the metatag" (ie: friended the dummy gamertag) is doing and join their game.

Metatags are usually themed around the game that it's brought up in. So the purpose of RedDeadGoons is to have a bunch of goons connect with each other as though friends, without having to individually add everyone on the friends list. Get it?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Cause they gotta work the 9th pointless horse race into the game somehow.

Killing people sort of got him into the mess of having his whole family threatened by the government to begin with.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Holy christ, I've been horrified yet again by this game. I know not many people care about personal experiences, but I don't think enough goons will run into this situation.

Post End-game, I was dicking around Escalera waiting for a bounty to show up (Which it never loving did), and I kicked a sickly looking dog. He starts attacking me and no matter how many kicks I did, or lassoing, I couldn't stop him from hounding (:haw:) me. So, as I ran away from him, I whipped out a knife, and as he jumped at me, I just swiped at the air once, and the dog jumped into it, and was dead before he hit the floor.

The horrificness was what Marston said in response to the fresh, tumbling dog corpse:

"I guess I miss Rufus." :gonk:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Finally got Redeemed (100% :toot:), and celebrated with my new FBI digs, beating up a colored person, then playing 1v1 poker with another one of those cheating blackwater players, bust him out..

and then I beat him up too!

:clint: Life is sweet.

vvvEditvvv: Only 3, not 20. :ssh:

Morter fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 1, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone, folks:

The Red Dead Wiki on the Knife claims that you can block (most) animal attacks with the knife?! Holy poo poo, I must now re-kill everything and test this out.

Edit: :siren: NOT AGAINST BEARS :gibs:

FBI costume complaint. Endgame spoilers: Are you loving kidding me? The costume is made for Jack, who's the only person who can reach 100%, and the front brim of the hat is clipped through by his stupid thick caveman forehead. REALLY?! It's the only tangible reward for 100%ing the game, and it's hosed up? Wow.

Morter fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 1, 2010

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

ShineDog posted:

There are some awesome kill animations if you get to point blank range with a pistol. Jamming your gun under someones jaw and blowing their brain out the top of their skull is frigging awesome. I wonder how many people have never seen these, given the tendancy of badguys to retreat.

Every time I get close to someone it's usually a blast to the gut, usually with Marston acting like he stumbled into the person. I've never gotten Sweet Chin Music via firearm :(

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

It's by far the best game I've ever played too :glomp:
(and i have like 3 lvl 70 wow characters)

The real shakabuku for me is the comparison between this game & fallout 3. When I was playing Fallout 3 I was blown away & this game makes that one feel choppy & forced.

Plus sawed-off shotguns feel muuuch better in RDR :clint:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Just make sure you don't erase your save file! Your urge to get 100% will diminish rapidly after about an hour of trying to stab cougars for the second time

Really? I eagerly did Legend Of The West before I even finished the story (granted, I just like hunting in this game. Something about killing wolf packs for MAD LOOTS and money just made it satisfying to let loose a barrage of shotgun shells). The worst part of 100%ing is probably having to do all the bounties in different locations. I literally grinded "???" bounties in Messico.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

FishBulb posted:

Okay this is making me mad. I'm at 99.9% completion, the only thing I am missing is one map area in West Elizabeth. The store in Blackwater will not sell me the Great Plains map. I already bought the tall trees map. What the hell?

Does anyone have a map that has all the locations listed on it, Ill just run there myself if I have any idea where it is. I've been all over the drat place doing missions and poo poo I don't know how I missed a map area.

The one place that was hard for me to realize that I missed was that bridge between the land west of Thieves' Landing and south of that camp in W.E.. It's a little rail bridge that is it's own location, and after having bought every map, it never showed up. You had to physically cross it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Holy Cheese posted:

That reminds me, has anyone tried the random NPC that offers a hunting challenge to skin whatever animal he is after before he can? I haven't even tried it yet but I can imagine that ending up in a bloodbath for everyone involved including my loving horse. If a wolf even looks at my horse now I go on a killing spree.

*twitch*

The couple of times I accepted, he actually just said "Get me xxxx", rather than challenging who before what. The one time I was challenged by time, it was to shoot some birds out of the sky, which were already in the air and I took out in one dead-eye. They're not really that bad. For the ones with "bring me some ____ skins", you aren't even timed. Its just an excuse for you to hunt and get immediately payed.

The NPCs I wonder about are the TNT camp I saw a little south west of Blackwater.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

This needs the sounds of a galloping horse and a 1080p sunset.

I couldn'tve asked for a more perfect scene :fh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

OrangeGuy posted:

Still... Where are the credits?

Look for a stranger mission in the train station of Blackwater

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Davoren posted:

Not really understanding why people dislike (endgame spoilers) playing as Jack so much, I understand many may prefer John but the amount of hate baffles me. I quite like Jack, maybe because I was playing as a good guy anyway.

Like many already said... ENDGAME :words: It's as simple as the VA. John was calm and experienced in almost everything he did, and wasn't a screamo action-man. For example, on a common task you'll do many times a day: Speeding up your horse:

John: "Lets go"
"C'mon"
"Hya"

Jack: "YEEHAW"
"QUIT YOUR DILLYDALLYING AND WORK"
"FASTER, FASTER"

Plus, I never really liked Jack's swollen, over-tanned, frozen-to-GLARE face, which you have to look at all the time as a reward for going through the whole story.

So it's just a matter of :clint: vs :derp:, to most people.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I love the randomness of hunting/skinning for mad loots.

"Wolf Heart +2" :psyduck:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

If you're a fan of shotguns, the Semi-Auto shotgun is a blast. 5 shots without pumping, and actually more powerful than the other 3.

I read up on the LeMat revolver and I actually found out it's one of those revolvers that comes with a loving shotgun barrel. Like you put in a shell and it can shoot it, along with the regular pistol rounds in it. I'd love to have that in game, for when you're shooting at animals and a cougar/wolf tries to get all sneaky on ya.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Another Tale of the West: I was hunting south of Blackwater doing some hunting for fun and profit (I have 15k, so mainly fun and cougars :argh:). As I was trotting around in the open plains, some guy is running from 4 wolves. Being full of DeadEye juice I, Marston the Pistolero shoot them down quickly and efficiently. The guy tosses me some spare change and shuffles on his way. As I'm skinning the 2nd wolf I killed, I hear his screams. By the time I finish skinning, I turn around to the sound and see that 4 more wolves had killed the guy about 30 feet away from where I had just saved his rear end.

Sometimes there's no escaping fate. Sort of the theme of the game, if you think about it, really.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Has anyone ever run into the one guy that wanted to reward you for whatever? He says something along the lines of "Help yourself to whatever supplies I have", even though you meet him in the street. I accept, and he walks away, with me getting no items. I follow him, and he leads me to nowhere. This has happened twice now (and I still even haven't gotten the rosary! :argh:), so I wonder if I'm missing something.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

A couple of multiplayer free roam questions:

I'm on a Lawbringer challange that has me do a hideout doing only Melee/Thrown weapons. Has anyone tried going in with two people, and killing one person with a throwing knife while other people run in and mop up for you? I had similar success finishing a challenge that said to do Pikes Basin and Twin Peaks (I think) without dying in the same session. I won that challenge by accidentally trotting too close to an active Pike's Basin run.

Also, has anyone tried being public enemies and fighting the law from within Fort Mercer? I've been eying the sweet gatling being pointed at the entrance as a means to grind some delicious Mounted Weapons kills, but as I was doing a private game, once I cleaned Fort Mercer of baddies, I tried running away a bit to find someone to get a bounty on me, only to come back and have the hideout fully restocked with baddies.

What I'm thinking is, if I and a few guys clear out Mercer, then one of us stays in while the others get in trouble and attract it to Fort Mercer, there would be a lovely hold out within, considering there's only a one way entrance and two ammo boxes (as opposed to Presidio's lack of ammo and flanking side entrance). If anyone would like to do that, let me know. If anyone's tried that already, what came of it?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

OrangeGuy posted:

Welp. I just 100% completed the game. Now what? What kind of post-completion fuckery can I engage in? RPG dynamite'ing random townsfolk in my Bureau outfit? Trying to glitch the game out?

What?

Oh, and I did get my rosary!

...At 99.5% completion. :argh:

Hunting is a great great pastime. At least in SP because it gets you something. Post-game turned Red Dead Redemption into

J. Marston's Deer/Bear/Cougar/Wolf Hunter :clint:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Johnny Deformed posted:

Well I'm enjoying the game so far, can someone tell me how far I am through the story mode if I've just gotten to the point where you get reunited with your wife and son??

I can't help but feel like I'm missing stuff though, I've played a few of the gambling mini games and a few 'strangers' missions, but I won't lose the chance to play any of that stuff if I just go straight through the storyline first right?

You're close to the end. I don't know if you can do it at this point, but the only "Missable" stranger quest is "I Know You". It will end when the game says "You will not see this man again". After the endgame, you cannot complete that quest, but it does not count towards 100% anyway, so you'll be fine.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Yes if you hit the gun/arm in the right way you'll instantly win. However, it will be the last shot you take because it will end the duel immediately. So, what you have to do is get both legs/knees first. That way, after the duel you can watch him shake his bloody hand for a few seconds before suddenly crumpling to the ground like he has the case of the vapors.

Lead vapors :clint:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Cougars are total pussies(:v:) in my game. Every time I stab them in the face they run away. The only reason why I have 1 / 2 for Master Hunter Level 5 is because one got trapped in some rocks running from me. Do throwing knives count for kills?

Nah, it says melee knife (Which, before I threw about the throwing ones, made me wonder what other kind of knife there was besides melee). Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'm thoroughly convinced that if they made a hunting game with a "Monster Hunter"-esque gathering system "Looting animals for parts (fur, bones, etc)", but just gave it guns, and GOOD guns, not gunlances, and set within the past century (because RDR sure does it well), it'd be a semi-high selling sleeper hit. It'd be a damned good one, too. Not many hunting games get a good rep but with incentive to get better goods, weapons, maybe horses, money, whatever it is. If they just made a hunting-centric RDR, with much more longevity and rewards.

I don't think anyone who's played and enjoyed this game WOULDN'T buy the game above.

• Locked thread