Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Busket_in_Posket posted:

What are the worst reasons to join the military?
You suck at everything and want a steady paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm thinking of sending my supervisor a slightly obscene care package when he deploys in the near future. I'll put some useful stuff in there, but I want to include a stuffed animal with a dick. Any pointers or dissuasions?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Has anyone ever had a VA rep gently caress something up and send the wrong information in. The one at my school is refusing to send the information on two of my classes that are clearly on the transfer degree planner to the VA, and when I pointed out the mistake she was a real bitch about it, and is refusing to fix it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GoGoGadget posted:

This book I've got says the Air Force expects you to be able to do something like 34 push-ups the day you get to BMT. I can do like 20 right now, and I leave next Monday. I'm going to be doing them every day until then, but I'm worried I won't be able to get it up to 34 by then. (By the way, I've been going to the gym for the past month and a half, I've just been focusing on cardio like my recruiter told me to, and not so much strength training.)

I read earlier in the thread that someone went in not being able to do but maybe two push-ups and they were fine, but I don't know if they went in before AF BMT was changed up.

TLDR: I can't do as many push-ups as this book says the AF wants me to be able to do day one in BMT and I need reassurance that I'll be ok.
There are going to be a bunch of fatbodies who can't even do that many, no one will take too much notice of you.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sneak into his base housing and poop in his toilet, don't flush it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Has anyone ever had a VA rep gently caress something up and send the wrong information in. The one at my school is refusing to send the information on two of my classes that are clearly on the transfer degree planner to the VA, and when I pointed out the mistake she was a real bitch about it, and is refusing to fix it.
Apparently because I had a really long tech school I've managed to eat up all my available elective credits. Unfortunately most of the military credit does me no good because it's all electronics and I'm not in an electronics or engineering program. The VA lady is still an unhelpful bitch though, I had to go to my advisor to find this out instead of getting a nice straight answer right off the bat from the person who is supposed to be there to provide them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

FooGoo posted:

How long after enlisting can I get my ID card (Air Guard)?

I made the crossover from Army to AF last weekend and according to the recruiter "it will be a few weeks". Is there a way to find out when I can get it? Not having one makes base access a bitch and I made reservations at a Navy Lodge in April, so hopefully I can have it by then..
They usually have a set day of the week they do ID cards. Personally I think everyone in MPF is a lazy rear end in a top hat, so I'd say just go in there whenever you feel like and start bothering people.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ifire posted:

Does anyone have a sample packing list for a 35lb ruck? I've been wanting do to some ruck training lately and need a place to start.
That's how much my backpack weighed in high school because I couldn't be assed to use my locker.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is the Guard going to have a hissy fit if I go and get prescribed some mild antidepressants?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't have a top secret so I can hardly see how they'd care.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ifire posted:

Anyone here ever take advantage of the WWE's free ticket for military people? If so do you have to be in uniform or can you just wear civvies?
The WWE must really hate the military.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

greazeball posted:

They met at the church/"college" where they got some kind of evangelism certificate and they're not going to kiss until the actual marriage ceremony. :psyduck:

I'd say that's even more damning than his ambiguous service record.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If you're in the guard you call them Bryan.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jam it in your wasteband, right in front of your dick.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

overdesigned posted:

Where are we buying our boots online these days? Apparently quanticoboot.com had a nice employee theft issue going on so they're out.
When I attempted to look up what you were talking about I got this article mill article.

quote:

Those fighting the world over on front lines in any war zone will tell you that one thing they absolutely cannot be without is their trusty military boots. Above all else, the comfort of their feet is probably the most important and therefore military boots are an essential kit. Imagine dangerous, hazardous situations in extreme heat or cold, wouldn't you want a boot fit for the purpose of protecting, supporting and giving comfort to your feet. There is a huge range of military boots out there and the good ones have one thing in common and that is high quality. It's probably fair to say that the military boots are one of the most important pieces of their duty wear.

Military personnel on foot patrol can be expected to run and walk many miles in a day, carrying their weapons and kit. If they have to go through that day with the wrong boots on then it could be disastrous. That may sound a bit dramatic but the correct footwear for the conditions; environment and terrain can make or break how well military personnel perform. If they have poorly made, ill-fitting boots then they can be distracted by the pain in their feet from the constant aching and rubbing, and that distraction on the front line patrol can be deadly. With good quality military boots, the job of the military can be made just a little easier to bear.

To illustrate the importance of good military boots its worth knowing that during the Iraq conflict stories emerged about British soldiers being so poorly equipped with essential kit that their lives were put at risk. The main thing they didn't have was good military boots. They were being issued with the wrong size and sometimes even pre-worn boots! Those soldiers would have been at a complete disadvantage on the front line with lack of equipment and inappropriate military boots. The importance of the correct equipment and uniform can't really be underestimated, without it our troops would be in more danger than they already are.

There are many different types of military boots and a desert boot would be totally inappropriate in a desert location, as would a jungle boot in an Artic location. The right kit to do the job is vital and none more so than the correct military boots. You wouldn't attempt to use a hammer and chisel to make a meatloaf or a sledgehammer to break a walnut so why should military have the wrong equipment and kit to do their very important job. The luxury of sitting down somewhere to rest their feet just isn't feasible so the correct footwear to do assist them in their duties is vital.

My feet take a lot of punishment so I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for military personnel. Military personnel have no choice in how far they walk or run or indeed, of where they are sent and that means they need the best footwear. Painful feet can be a very bad distraction and on the front line it would spell disaster having any distraction. The comfort well designed high spec military boots can give is priceless to the military and without that small crumb of comfort their job would be more difficult and deadly than it already is.
Something tells me Sunil Punjabi should get a job writing standardized test prompts.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Your dick will fall off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Don't lie to the military, if they find out later you can get in a lot of trouble. The poo poo on your sealed record possibly might have come out later when they do a clearance check on you.

The Air Force lets in all manners of retards and criminals so unless you did something really bad you're probably not hosed.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nice try Bradley Manning.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can someone recommend a book about the beginnings of OEF? Weeding through the poo poo written about a current conflict is a real pain in the rear end.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Ghost Wars by Steve Coll is pretty much a must read for everything prior to 9/11, like it says all the way from the initial Soviet invasion to September 10th, 2001. It is excellent, by far the best book I've seen on the topic. Absolutely no ":2bong: Rethuglican warmongers, man" or ":fsmug: drat those Lieberal Democrats and their terrorist loving ways," just the facts: good, bad, and ugly.

Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor is excellent as well. It's about Operation Anaconda and the battle on Roberts Ridge, and doesn't pull any punches regarding the incompetence of the higher-ups in the U.S. command structure.

I know those might not be what you're looking for, since they kind leave a gap right during the initial invasion, but I haven't yet read any of the ones that detail the actual initial invasion...Horse Soldiers is about the Special Forces dudes that provided support to the Northern Alliance as they overran the Taliban. It's supposed to pretty good, but I've also heard that it's pretty hard over on the :patriot: AMERICA gently caress YEAH end of the spectrum, so take that for what it's worth I guess.
Thanks, I'll check those out.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So do WileyXs actually fit anybody? Nobody I know thinks they're loving expensive issued sunglasses fit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

She gave birth in the car and got afterbirth on my boots.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently for guys who end up stuck in Air Force basic over Christmas there's program where families or organizations take them in for the day and feed them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is there much of a difference between HEI and TP?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Once again, I don't know poo poo about planes. They don't shoot incendiary rounds all the time do they?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

I knew someone who did that too. It did not turn out well. Nor did the boots in the oven, for reasons including the soles melting and the boots getting stuck to the rack.
I knew a retard who managed to set his room on fire while melting polish onto his shoes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Bring a flask next time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Progression Please posted:

Air Force Reserves (2 days a month)

How much say does my unit have on when I have to do non-annual training events? In particular, this years dates were given for a 2 week training course everyone needs to attend at some point in the unit. I attend full time in person college, and the training takes place near finals. Do they have the right to make it mandatory for me or do I have the right to say no because I will flunk my classes?
Does it overlap finals? Because that would be incredibly stupid. I'm sure you can work it out with your unit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

005060524 posted:

Say you join the reserves and get out of all your entry training. Can you just volunteer for a deployment or do you just have to wait for your unit to get assigned to one?
It's kind of dependent on a lot of different factors. How your unit is set up, what your job is, will they let you go, etc...

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nillerz posted:

So how do you *do* it, do you just like, show up and say "Fly me somewhere"?
They have to be going where you want to already, and have room. That's why it's called Space Available.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

and then stuck on a FOB with no chance to leave for 3 weeks.
I think I accidentally pulled into one of those when I was on McCoy last time. A lot of guys behind sandbags staring at me while I quickly turned around.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Families like that poo poo.
gently caress families.

They're missing their one chance to be impressed by a seemingly drastic change next time they see them, now they don't get to feel good for a couple of days before going back to being disappointed in them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

HClChicken posted:

I don't want to show up and be told that since it's the summer I gotta work 2 weeks and then miss first week of classes. I'm really hesistant to go ROTC due to having to commission later and my major would make me one of those sure shot applications (engineering).
I think they'd be able to accommodate you, I'd call and ask.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ixpodsix posted:

As an Army Reservist who immediately forgot everything related to unit administration come separation, who would I contact for a promotion points summary? My last unit? I've tried to get back into AKO but the help desk is killing me.

I'm submitting to the Air Force OTS board in September but I have the opportunity to get LASIK (or probably PRK) before that. I don't want to miss the September deadline in order to get a waiver for the surgery so I'll probably cancel it, but would I be able to get away with it if I didn't mention it on the package? Does anyone know if it would show up on the physical? I don't want to start off a career by saying "gently caress you, air force" but good eyes being an attainable luxury is extremely appealing.

edit: the non-rated OTS board.
At least in the Air Force getting either surgery makes you non-deployable for 4 months. I'm not sure how they'd handle it when you're trying to get in though. PRK is the better surgey, but it'll gently caress your vision up for at least a couple weeks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anyone ever filed an IG complaint before?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

:v: You don't say.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

nwin posted:

Didn't there used to be a military book thread? I'm going TAD in a week and need some new reading material for the flights...
Somebody in a different thread suggested The War I Always Wanted the other day, I'm about half way through and would have to agree.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CrackerJackal posted:

I'm joining the USAF and have no idea about what is acceptable or recommended for female hair. Short? Long? What about hair that is dyed?

Internet has been giving me some very mixed answers about this, and I'm also getting discrepancy between my recruiter and the officers at MEPS. The latter are all male though, so I don't blame them if they don't know firsthand (other than the obvious 'no mowhawks' and whatnot).
Can't touch your collar, natural colors only.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

It took me 6 months plus getting strings pulled at NGB for a waiver for being treated for ADD as a child 15 years prior. Doubt I'd get in today.
If you test well enough and can demonstrate at least a year of stability off meds you were good to go 5 years ago. Not sure how much that might have changed since the drawdown started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jai Mundi posted:

Aside from sending him these things, which we all will, what would be really awesome to get? What would have made your day? I'm trying to top all my friends, because I'm a jerk like that, but it will benefit my friend, so I guess it's OK.

Thanks.
A fantasy sword.

• Locked thread