Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Franchescanado posted:

Not on SA, but I've met many people offline who hate him, and I have one or two friends that refused to watch his movies for the longest time.

Nic Cage is cool forever for Raising Arizona alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BeefSupreme posted:

A Few Good Men

There are holes in the plot and in the emotional story, as well.

What plot holes, out of curiosity?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BeefSupreme posted:

Ehh, plot holes is maybe not the right phrase. Plot weaknesses? Why does nobody ask for the murder weapon, the rag? Why does nobody order a proper autopsy, since the doctor is not a coroner? Why does Dawson take the stand, and not Downey? Why is Jessup so absolutely engrossed in the idea of proving nobody would disobey him, considering proving that is the only way to implicate him in the mess at all?

There is a lot that isn't so much 'plot holes' as it is movie bullsh*t. Which, hey, this is Aaron Sorkin, and this is the movies.

Those are pretty strong points that never occurred to me. Been a while since I watched it. The Jessup angle to me is just pure hubris and ego. Plus, he fell into a trap once Cruise started playing off it. Man, I'd like to get involved in this thread since I have a rather shameful list but I have so little time to watch movies anymore. Am I allowed to chime in on recommendations without participating? I gather I'm not.

Edit: This thread tackles some of the issues you raised

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/AFewGoodMen

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Fun little horror satire.

The Thin Red Line (1998; Terrence Mallick)

Probably the best film about war.

HUH.

Never seen it. Would you slot it ahead of Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Das Boot, MASH and Saving Private Ryan? Might have to check it out if so cause that's a high bar

TrixRabbi posted:

Bitterandtwisted, you get Deliverance

Outstanding choice. Was wondering when someone would get to that one.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's a huge accomplishment on a technical level, but in terms of actually examining World War II, or the concept of war itself, it's a pretty nothing film. The Thin Red Line, Apocalypse Now, and Paths of Glory all make statements that are infinitely more meaningful than anything Spielberg is saying in Saving Private Ryan(if anything).

Yeah, piling on to say I think this is really wrong and that Saving Private Ryan was pretty loving great. There's also Schindler's List, since you seem to be ragging on Spielberg, which I count as a war movie. WW2 Vets are almost uniformly emotional when they watch SVP so it did something right.

If you guys are saying The Thin Red Line is that good...as good as most of the movies in this discussion, then I will definitely check it out. Sold.

Edit: as long as we're de-railing and someone said "movies about war vs. movies about being the military", what about The Deer Hunter? That seemed to be both.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

You guys raise some good and interesting points about the various things that war films focus on. I'll definitely check out Thin Red Line.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Who had Deliverance on their list? One of my favorite all time movies and was curious what they thought about it. Been thinking about "signing up" for the thread but don't have much time to watch TV these days.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

All right. Since there's no time limit or pressure with this, I'll dive in. Ten, right :

My Shameful List™. Most of these are old since i've been a movie junkie all my life and am 50 years old but will try to put some more modern ones on here. I've started hitting my local library up lately for DVD's to save money and notice a LOT of really good films there. Recently found the "classic" section on Netflix too so probably easy to find the older stuff.

I don't have a ton of free time and have a 7 year old so, when I do, we're always watching Ultra Man and poo poo.

Anyway

Casablanca - I've seen "The Maltese Falcon" and "The African Queen" but can take or leave Bogart. Plus I know the gist of the story and the ending, so just never felt the urgency.

On the Waterfront - I usually like Brando so not sure how I never got to his one

High Noon - Not a huge fans of westerns in general so never piqued my interest but I like GOOD westerns.

The Producers - I usually like Mel Brooks and somehow never got around to this one

Pan's Labyrinth - Sounds dumb but I need to be in the mood to deal with subtitles

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Need to be in the mood for a war movie too. Apparently I'm moody.

The Thin Red Line - Speaking of war movies, this one has been recommended to me and has drawn favorable comparisons to "Apocalypse Now", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Platoon" so I am very interested. Might watch it soon anyway if no one suggests it.

Patton - Another war movie. Was always worried this would be hokey and too "USA! USA!". The people I know who love it tend to be authoritarian types.

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if ti's the main thrust like "Chicago", Showgirls" or "Moulin Rouge"

Double Indemnity - I like caper films and double crosses and poo poo. The description sounds like the Coen' s "The Man Who Wasn't There" which I liked a lot.

So I guess, if I'm reading it right, someone gives me one, I watch it then give them one from their list? Cool thread, btw. Caught a few good recommendations here.

I'm in.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Almost - pick a movie for FancyMike, and the person who posts a review next will pick a movie from your list.

Well poo poo.

FancyMike posted:

9 to 5 - Dolly

This then. Since it's the only one on your list I've seen.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I anxiously await the review of Nashville from someone who expected it to be similar to Showgirls.

I wrote "Showgirls" but I was thinking of Dreamgirls.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

This was a solid, ambitious attempt at a full adaptation and I am saddened it wasn't completed.

Honestly, you're the first person I've come across that anything good to say about this movie.
It was sort of completed by the team that did the old Hobbit cartoon, called "Return of the King" I think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't think it's an issue of age, though Citizen Kane did bring quite a few narrative innovations, so much as that the two films belong to very different genres. Citizen Kane is a character study, and you obviously need a complex character to make that work. Stagecoach is an action film with a mere 90-minutes running time. You can't introduce nine multi-faceted people and provide thrilling setpieces in such a short time span, so the script relies on the audience to fill in a lot of the blanks, which is why each character in the film serves as a stand-in for a western archetype and/or one of America's social classes, making them very intuitively accessible.

Kane was also the first film to really introduce a lot film making techniques that we now take for granted.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jurgan posted:

I recommend Roger Ebert's commentary track for Kane. He points out how a lot of the shots were composed using special effects that we might not even notice today. Things like panning up a pillar and then cutting to a shot of a papier mache model of a headto make you think it's a giant stone bust atop the pillar, or shooting Kane in close-up immediately after a crowd shot to make you think he's giving a speech to a lot of people.

I'll check it out thanks

One of my art teachers made us watch CK. Oddly enough he was out anatomy teacher and several students were not into his methods since they all thought we'd be doing traditional DaVinci style nudes and naming all the muscles/bones and poo poo. But he was teaching past the class and not much of that helps you DRAW. He was trying to get us to SEE anc also communicate. He viewed all art the same and said the main goal is communicating. He had us draw models clothed more than nude because, let's face it, how often do you draw or have to depict a naked person? He'd bring in obese models, older ones, dress them up in costumes...

Getting off track a bit but the things he wanted us to glean from CK were things like framing, camera angles, the use of light and shadow, storytelling, scene depiction and generally describing what's going on. Again, visual communication. He was a great teacher who showed me how to think outside the box and think about things like close ups, panoramas, cropping, scale, pacing, texture, mood and point out stuff that we absorb as a viewer but that's not always obvious.

Stuff that seems simple and rote but that really describes an image. It's hard to explain and I'm sorry for the rant but Kane is brilliant. Prior to what Wells did, most films were shot like plays.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

bitterandtwisted watch Avengers Endgame ( I liked it and i think it was suprisingly interesting but a bit long)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

very predictable and not very interesting or funny. there is some good acting but mostly its just very cheesy. i like the energy in the fishing trip scene. but eventually i started to dislike the movie and mostly wanted it to end. this won 5 oscars for some reason. its also way to long

Limiting my posts here since I haven't watched my movie yet (Casablanca) but regarding Cuckoo's Nest I just....

Holy poo poo.

I was going to edit out the Endgame comment but left it in because...

Holy poo poo.

Not to be a dick, but I'd be real curious to read a list of your top 10 films. I can't fathom someone not liking this film, especially for the reasons you cited. To each their own.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Chili posted:

Huh, was about to come back after a very very long hiatus and it seems like this thing has basically died. Any interest in getting it back on its feet? Maybe a new OP or something?

I like it but we're getting into some obscure films, which I think can limit discussion a bit. Plus I also feel bad posting here since I was given Casablanca like a year ago and still haven't watched that bitch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The great thing to me about the Godfather films (besides everything) is how rewarding they are on re-watch. I found it almost impossible to entirely keep track of who was who and which person was referring to another one but it didn't detract from my enjoyment at all. I had to watch the original probably 5 times to get a handle on all last names being bandied about and fully understand who was doing what and why.

CriminyCraffft posted:

I also watched Part 2 and didn’t like it quite as much, though it was still fantastic. It’s hard to describe but it almost felt like it was a mini series stitched together into a very long feature film. Surprisingly sympathetic to Castro, but if the whole series is a critique of capitalism that makes sense.

That's interesting that you point that out. There's a cut together version of the films called The Godfather Saga that changes all the editing to be in chronological order. Consensus seems to be that it's not really good but I remember liking it and it makes your "mini series" observation even more succinct.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 24, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I loving suck because I want to post in the thread and hand out assignments since it's a cool idea but I still haven't made time to watch Casablanca like 2 or 3 years later.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zogo posted:

The Hudsucker Proxy - The year is 1958 and we're in New York City. Nefarious board members attempt to run a basic stock scam and take advantage of a naive underling. But the underling proves to have some design talent and throws them for a loop.

I see what you did there.

I love the Coens but this one is one of my least favorites for some reason.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That's mine too like a year later and i still haven't watched the motherfucker

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Truth.

Being There is loving great and Sellers gives an all time performance to where I can't picture anyone else in the roll. Maybe Bill Murray (?) Also one of the best endings of any movie I think I've ever seen that delivers a fantastic payoff in a really understated way that works so well tonally.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

twernt posted:

It's interesting that, as far as I can tell, The Deer Hunter is one of only five US movies released in the 70s that dealt with Vietnam.

Are there any other movies anyone would recommend that are about the war, but treat it differently? I think I've seen all of the obvious ones.

* Hearts and Minds
* Apocalypse Now
* Platoon
* Full Metal Jacket
* Forrest Gump

* Coming Home

And I know that Stallone is easy to make fun of and RAMBO movies are garbage but the original First Blood film is fantastic. I'm not sure what got into Sly over the years but he's shown himself to be a capable actor and has been in some terrific movies. For whatever reason, he just finds a cash cow and then craps all over anything he ever did that was good with terrible sequels (Rocky, Rambo) and has starred in some god awful poo poo (Demolition Man, Judge Dredd, Over the Top) but he's a decent actor and was great in Copland.

I imagine he's rather hard to cast now that I think about it but he CAN act but then what do you really do with him? NIghthawks was pretty good too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

gently caress. I just realized I can't talk poo poo in this thread until my lazy rear end finally gets around to watching Casablanca so please excuse me for running my stupid mouth about Sly Stallone.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BeefSupreme posted:

Boy, there sure are a lot of great choices on your list... But I can't allow you to continue not having seen Casablanca, whether you ultimately like it or not.

OK.

Took me over three loving years but I finally watched this bitch and it was...good enough (?) but didn't blow me away

I think it suffered from being one of those classics that I'm supposed to like because of its reputation but, to be honest, I found most of the acting in it a little stiff and forced. Line deliveries during conversations felt more like people were reading and remembering their cues more than any sort of natural dialog, especially when characters are supposed to be stepping over each others' lines. I think that's more due to it being a product of its time and how films were made back then than a reflection of the talent on screen however but it could almost be a play - and kind of comes off like one for 2/3 or 3/4 of it.

And the best performances weren't from the two leads but from Paul Henreid as Laszlow, Peter Lorre as Ugarte and even Dooley Wilson as Sam (in what could have easily become a problematic stereotype role). I don't get the fascination with Bogart and have seen parts/most of The African Queen and The Maltese Falcon. He doesn't really do it for me I guess. I found almost all of the supporting actors more compelling and delivering better performances than the leads.

Like a lot of older films, things that were innovative and cutting edge at the time have become rote, run into the ground by old Bugs Bunny cartoons and are cliches for a reason, but I will say that I'm glad I hung in with it because as cheesy and rigid as I found a lot of it and starting to grow bored before the half way mark, the tension really starts to build around after that when everything is properly set up and the payoff is really good. I appreciate the layers of storytelling on display here and how well they're woven together with a pretty solid screenplay and genuinely good direction that succeeds really well at creating a sense of atmosphere.

I get why it's regarded as a classic but I wouldn't slot anywhere near my top 100 of all time, let alone my top 10.

So...I can cross that off. What do I do next to assign a movie and who gets to pick my next one?

MY Shameful List:

Casablanca - I've seen "The Maltese Falcon" and "The African Queen" but can take or leave Bogart. Plus I know the gist of the story and the ending, so just never felt the urgency.
7/10

On the Waterfront - I usually like Brando so not sure how I never got to his one

High Noon - Not a huge fans of westerns in general so never piqued my interest but I like GOOD westerns.

The Producers - I usually like Mel Brooks and somehow never got around to this one

Pan's Labyrinth - Sounds dumb but I need to be in the mood to deal with subtitles

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Need to be in the mood for a war movie too. Apparently I'm moody.

The Thin Red Line - Speaking of war movies, this one has been recommended to me and has drawn favorable comparisons to "Apocalypse Now", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Platoon" so I am very interested. Might watch it soon anyway if no one suggests it.

Patton - Another war movie. Was always worried this would be hokey and too "USA! USA!". The people I know who love it tend to be authoritarian types.

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if ti's the main thrust like "Chicago", "Showgirls", "Dreamgirls" or "Moulin Rouge"

Double Indemnity - I like caper films and double crosses and poo poo. The description sounds like the Coen' s "The Man Who Wasn't There" which I liked a lot.

EDIT: I meany Dreamgirls not Showgirls

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 23, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

twernt posted:

10. Dog Day Afternoon

Watch this one, twernt

Not only is it the only one on your list I've seen, it's one of my favorite movies period

Edit:

Couple other things I'll say about Casablanca, since my review was kind of lazy, is that the screenplay deserves all the credit it receives. The dialogue is sharp and often sarcastic and funny. I liked how Rick was written as this totally unapologetic self serving drunk ("only cause I care about is me") except with an occasional sense of empathy (rigging the roulette table) and a bit of a romantic side.

I just don;t think I "get" Bogart and found his line delivery and the acting in this film overall a little hit and miss, especially the leads, and felt like the supporting actors did a ton of the heavy lifting. The supporting actors kept me in the film. Maybe a few more pregnant pauses here and there might have helped? A lot of the physical acting was overdone as well - at least for me. The directing often gets lauded but I didn't see anything really impressive about it beyond doing a good job establishing atmosphere, and even that was a lot of "have everyone smoke cigarettes all the time" while the music sets the mood. The camera work and everything seemed pretty much by the book to me and the whole thing kind of felt like I was watching a play instead of a legendary cinematic masterpiece.

I don't mean to dump on it so much and it was fine but felt I owed the thread a better review than what I posted up there.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 23, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zogo posted:

I'm not a big fan of The African Queen or Casablanca myself.

The Big Sleep and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre are probably my two favorite of his appearances.

I like him a lot in the Bugs Bunny cartoons. Coconut custard pie with whipped cream and all that. He was great

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 23, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

1. Superman: The Movie:

I was torn on your list between this one, Watership Down and American Graffiti but Chris Reeves being the living embodiment of Superman is hard to pass up.

I got The Thin Red Line and Ohhh...my...god.

This thing was incredible. It's one of the best war movies I've ever seen and one of the best movies I've seen, period, so thanks for the recommend. Not a real pick me up or something that fuels my optimism but it was amazing.

I just...wow.

First of all, and right out of the box, let me say that the cinematography in this film rivals anything I've ever loving seen in film by any director. That goes for Kubrick, Spielberg, Coppola, Lynch, Nolan, Burton and you loving name it. My jaw was on the floor half the loving time just marveling at the camera work, framing, lighting and establishing shots. Holy loving poo poo.

I'm not a huge WW2 historian and it took me a while to figure out where this was supposed to be taking place. At the start, it's almost like a Vietnam setting but that's quickly ruled out by all of the villagers and natives being black. Later in the film, it says it's in Guadalcanal so there you go.

DO I need to use spoilers? I guess I might as well

Beyond being immediately struck by the stunning cinematography, I was taken aback by the cast and double checking if I was sure who I was watching. Some were obvious, like John Travolta, Sean Penn, Nick Nolte and Adrian Brody but a couple of times I was like "is that John C. Reilly, Thomas Jane, Jared Leto and Nick Stahl?

Then George loving Clooney out of nowhere in basically a cameo that stands right in next in line for Nolte?

Who's NOT in this loving movie? And they're all great in it.

It was like Tropic Thunder without the funny for a minute there and there wasn't really a "star", so to speak, which I thought added to the underlying idea of everyone being expendable. Nolte's character struck me as middle management and drew some weird parallels between working working in an office, where no one listens to the WORKERS in the trenches and the guy on top is just doing everything they want to achieve a goal with no concern or care whatsoever for the people actually doing the hard work (I'll get some water here soon, I promise but first let's take that NEXT hill). Then when he fucks up and commits war crimes he immediately starts cutting deals and dangling worthless commendations and medals for his troops when all the while he's been in the rear with the gear.

"This is MY WAR. You'll get your turn" loving rear end in a top hat. All for a lethal game of literally King of the Hill. One soilder said "this war is all about property and nothing else". That rang true and stung.

More than a few scenes struck me but a couple really stood out. When Jack says gently caress it, breaks out of the bamboo/palm fronds into the open and it flashes back to him swimming with his wife and the expanse of the ocean is one. I thought that dude was gonna die, get word back that his wife was pregnant waiting back home but instead we got a dear Jack letter and she left him for an Air Force Captain when that was the only thing inspiring him. God drat. Gut punch.

And when they're capturing and torturing the Japanese POW's during the second raid you can see and it's made clear that those poor saps on the other side are fighting for equally stupid reasons, have no agency, are merely taking orders, fighting over property themselves and care about their families and poo poo. None of the people that create these wars have to fight in them or risk their lives but are more than happy to let others do it.

It wasn't a pick me up but it was fantastic. I didn't realize it was so LONG and though it was ending with the Japanese soldier's face in the ground over that monologue but there was an entire 3rd act. It seemed like it was touching occasionally on elements of God and Satan ("who's doing this?") but it wasn't overplayed. The irony of shoving cigarettes up you nose to drown out stench I thought was clever.

I don't have one bad thing to really say about this film except perhaps the length so

9.5/10

Am I supposed to add new ones to the two I've watched or just keep rolling?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MY Shameful List:

7/10

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if ti's the main thrust like "Chicago", "Showgirls", "Dreamgirls" or "Moulin Rouge"

EDIT: I meant Dreamgirls not Showgirls

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

You add a new one every time you watch one, so your list is always 10. Although you can always do less than that if you really wanna make sure certain ones get picked, like I did when people picked my most recent addition literally twice in a row

OK. Let me freshen my list

MY Shameful List:

The Last Picture Show - In honor of the late and recently deceased director, Peter Bogdanovich, I'll add this

The Conversation - I like Gene Hackman and capers and have seen snippets of this. It looks interesting and up my alley

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

quote:

Patton

Dog gone it. I like George C Scott but I shouldn't have put so many darned war movies on my list. Going to be hard for anything to follow and top The Thin Red Line

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I was gonna watch Brokeback immediately just so I could pick Nashville for you but then I got busy :(

No worries, man. Rules are rules.

I just didn't want to watch 2 military themed movies back to back but that's on me.

Brokeback is really good so you're in fine shape.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wow. I've never heard or read anyone saying they didn't like The Thing. It's one of my favorite horror movies of all time but to each their own. That review just took me by surprise.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

smitster posted:

Raging Bull (TSPDT1000) - I never seem to be in the mood for a boxing movie, so I’ve been skipping this my whole life

Not any more.

Finally watched Patton and, while I get why people like it and it's fine, it just wasn't for me. George C. Scott is fantastic in it and I found it somehow added to the satire of his performance in Dr. Strangelove (which I've been told Scott didn't know was a comedy). I'm not a huge fan of the take no prisoners, straight shooting, rebellious institutional leader who only needs all those regulations and procedures to get out of his way and allow him to kick rear end. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to like and sympathize with him or think he's an rear end in a top hat. It's also way too long. I think you could easily lose 20 or 30 minutes and not sacrifice much.

Made in 1970, it also seems to be subtly suggesting that the reason we were losing in Vietnam was because we didn't have more Patton's, and that rubs me wrong. Glad I watched it but probably won't do it again.

I think I'm also burned out on war movies and probably picked too many of them, which reminds me that I also watched The Bridge on the River Kwai even though no one picked it for me. I liked it a lot better than Patton because I like prison and caper movies and felt it was more...gritty...and had a lot more depth to it where it wasn't quite as jingoistic.

My list

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if it's the main thrust like "Chicago", "Dreamgirls" or "Moulin Rouge"

Should I replace the ones I watched with new ones to get back to ten?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 2, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Seconding that Midnight Cowboy is fantastic.

Depressing as all hell, but still fantastic.

Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman are amazing in it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Finally sat down to watch 'The Godfather' after I watched the Paramount+ show 'The Offer'....a dramatized telling of the creation of the movie. Show was good....not great. The movie on the other hand was excellent....not that I thought it wouldn't be. Always had it on my list....but for some reason I never got around to finding the motivation to flip it on. I'll be watching Part II tomorrow. Even though Part III is said to not be up to par with the first two....I'll wrap up the trilogy prior to the end of this next weekend.

I think part 3 gets a bit of a bum rap. It's not as good as the first 2 and Sophia Coppola is god awful in it but it's not a turd.

It's more just that the first two are incredible.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's more than just Sophia Coppola, a lot of the dialogue comes across almost like a Godfather parody at times and some of the actors have a hard time delivering it convincingly. Joe Mantegna is actually worse than Sophia Coppola imo when you take into account the fact that he actually was an experienced actor so he had no excuse.

That's a decent point but I thought Joe was OK (despite the scenery chewing) and Andy Garcia was above average.

The movie is just too slow, clunky and saddled with having to live up to its predecessors but it's not the pile of trash people make it out to be. I've seen far FAR worse movies, even the very year it came out. And Sophia's acting was some of the worst I've ever witnessed - at least in a supposedly prestige movie that had very high expectations with a director that should know better. She's gne on to do some fantastic stuff as a director though. Apparently, Winona Ryder was cast in her role but dropped out at the last minute, which would explain a lot. Francis Coppola fought for Al Pacino in GF1 and got great performances in the first two films from Duval, Caan, Keaton, Cazale, Strasberg, Kirby, Deniro, Shire and of course Brando as well, even though Marlon was lazy by then. There's not a single weak link in the acting in GF 1 or 2, even though I'm not wild about Diane Keaton at times, but everyone was good to great.

GF3...you can't say that for (and I don't think the screenplay was as strong either) but if it had come out as a stand alone and not in the shadow of two legendary, historic Oscar winning films, it would just be remembered as a mediocre or slightly decent mob movie instead of a giant horrible piece of poo poo.

What's odd is we KNOW that Francis can get fantastic performances from good actors (see: Apocalypse Now, The Rainmaker, The Outsiders) and we know they're cast here, but GF3 felt like he just didn't feel like doing another take when he didn't get the scene or something. I don't think his heart was in it.

Then again, speaking of Winona Ryder and acting, that reminded me of Dracula, which I also liked, but that had some dreadful acting performances dragging it down like a motherfucker as well so maybe FFC's eyes and ears aren't as sharp as I like to think.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

This scene in particular always stood out to me as an example of Mantegna not being able to properly sell the dialogue, and also the dialogue is definitely just kinda weak and not nearly as good as the first two films. But it's just a tough thing to really judge because like you said, in the first two films the dialogue was more often than not being delivered by iconic acting titans, a powerhouse cast the likes of which we've seen only very rarely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6M-YT5kkio

The way he says "I say to all of you, I have been treated this day with no respect" just rubs me the wrong way, it's very clunky, and I feel the same way about most of his dialogue in the film. I agree with you though that the movie isn't like, irredeemable garbage. It's a decent movie that people can get over the top about for obvious reasons.

Yeah, that's pretty rough. It plays like "here's what a gangster would say!" than the natural flow of the first two films.

But funny, what stood out to me more in this scene you linked as a weak element is the star.

How we went from Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico or GF1 and 2 to the bombastic and over stated delivery that comedians use to do impressions of him. He's barely even Michael anymore and more like Pacino doing a Pacino impersonation. There's no more of the cold, quiet, calculating Michael we've come to know that speaks mostly in soft, measured tones. Mantegna is not really a great actor but I like him in things. House of Games comes to mind but it's not like he shines there either so much as it's a good script. He's perfect on The Simpsons but I've never come to know him as elevating a film.

TL/DR: Godfather 3 is OK and has some bad acting.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

^^^Check out Singin’ in the Rain. I’m also not a huge musical fan but it’s great.

North Dallas Forty felt a lot like Rollerball but on a smaller scale. I enjoyed how it portrayed the grind of football and how it slowly destroys everyone who plays, but never those who profit. Nick Nolte looks like he’s in terrible pain every frame of this movie.

At first I thought this was a really weird comparison but then I realized you're right. I love North Dallas Forty. IIRC, the NFL was not too happy with the film or the book and I think that was why none of the football scenes were filmed in stadiums or something like that.

My favorite line in it is "Every time we say it's a game, you say it's a business and every time we say it's a business, you say it's a game" and athletes still put up with that poo poo. I never understood the perception of pro athletes as spoiled, coddled and overpaid. Those guys bust their loving asses and put their health on the line but rich owners mostly get a pass.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Fisher King is loving great, agreed. Probably one of Gilliam's best movies and one of Williams' best performances. I remember it getting kind of average reviews when it came out but was blown away when I saw it.

Also, glad to see Prophecy in this list since it's one of those bad monster movies I have a soft spot for. I saw it in theaters when I was about maybe 10 or 11 and it scared the poo poo out of me but when I watched it as an adult, a lot of it struck me as funny. Exploding sleeping bag gets me every time but a few of the set pieces are still fairly effective. If they'd improved the effects and toned down some of the overly serious liberal melodrama and goofy stereotypes a bit, I think there's a decent movie in there somewhere. But it suffers from taking itself SO loving SERIOUSLY that the clunkier moments really stand out.

Probably a decent candidate for a remake actually in the right hands. The environmental message is still on point.

IIRC, John Boorman (who did Deliverance and Excalibur) was attached or involved at some point but Wiki doesn't turn up anything so maybe I misremembered that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I guess I should update my list and replace the three I already watched to get to ten again. I don't know how to do the formatting some of you post with but this should do I guess until I figure it out. Someone gave me Nashville so I'll get to that one next. Robert Altman usually delivers for me.

MY LIST (last 3 are new ones)

On the Waterfront - I usually like Brando and know this is classic so not sure how I never got to his one

Nashville - I like Altman a lot but musicals are a hard sell for me if ti's the main thrust like "Chicago", Showgirls" or "Moulin Rouge" - Assigned to me next

Double Indemnity - I like caper films and double crosses and poo poo. The description sounds like the Coen' s "The Man Who Wasn't There" or Blood Simple which I liked a lot.

The Searchers - Not a John Wayne fan at all and, again, generally dislike westerns but I have heard good things

The Conversation - I have this queued up on one of my streaming platforms, I like Gene Hackman and Coppolla a lot and really dig caper movies

12 Angry Men - Jack Lemmon is a favorite and I've absorbed enough of this movie through cultural osmosis to where I feel like I've seen it. But I never have.

Watched: Casablanca, The Thin Red Line, Patton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

You don’t need to post a new list until you’ve watched the last one you were assigned

Noted.

And at least now I have one. I watched three without updating it and had some time to kill so...