Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decever
Dec 26, 2015
The War Room is the only movie on your list I've watched but don't think I picked it by default because of that: It's great; I hope you enjoy it as much as I did Rabbi.

Here's my list:

The Conformist (1970) - All I know about this is that it's got really good cinematography and it stars Jean-Louis Trintignant in another of his Italian speaking roles as a Fascist secret agent.

Vertigo (1958) - Classic Hitchcock I've managed not to watch somehow.

Tabu (2012) - I don't know much about this one, the New Yorker's film critic recommended it and it looked interesting.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - Kitsch looking sci fi from the 60s, interesting looking.

Pickpocket (1959) - It's about an unrepentant pickpocket and how his habit ruins his life... I think?

Heat (1995) - I like heist movies, this is, from what I've heard, a really good one.

El Topo (1970) - A western made by Alejandro Jodorowsky. It looks insane.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) - Recommended a hundred thousand times; never seen.

Youth of the Beast (1964) - I'm a big fan of Seijun Suzuki, Tokyo Drifter is one of my favorite movie.

Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971) - Japanese experimental movie, from what I've seen I honestly can't describe what it's about but wikipedia says it's a "metaphor for Japan's descent into materialism".

Decever fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decever
Dec 26, 2015
TrixRabbi, watch Sanjuro it's a great chanbara film.

I was given Youth of the Beast, a 1964 yakuza film directed by Seijun Suzuki and starring Joe "the Ace" Shishido as a mysterious rogue who manipulates two rival gangs into fighting eachother.

This is a great movie it's clear watching that this is a Seijun Suzuki movie from the visuals alone. Although the movie is not as crazy as Tokyo Drifter or Branded to Kill. The story is engaging and features some nice and unexpected twists. But in the end as great as I found this movie I feel like it's neither Seijun Suzuki's nor Joe Shishido's best film. That honor falls, in my opinion, to Tokyo Drifter and A Colt is my Passport respectively.

Still Youth of the Beast was, as any Seijun Suzuki (and/orJoe Shishido) movie, a lot of fun.

The Conformist (1970) - All I know about this is that it's got really good cinematography and it stars Jean-Louis Trintignant in another of his Italian speaking roles as a Fascist secret agent.

Tabu (2012) - I don't know much about this one, the New Yorker's film critic recommended it and it looked interesting.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) - Kitsch looking sci fi from the 60s, interesting looking.

Pickpocket (1959) - It's about an unrepentant pickpocket and how his habit ruins his life... I think?

Heat (1995) - I like heist movies, this is, from what I've heard, a really good one.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) - Recommended a hundred thousand times; never seen.

Throw Away Your Books, Rally in the Streets (1971) - Japanese experimental movie, from what I've seen I honestly can't describe what it's about but wikipedia says it's a "metaphor for Japan's descent into materialism".

Le Silence de la Mer (1947) - Melville's first feature length movie, I love later Melville films Le Samourai is among my favorites. (Added 12/30/2015)

Watched: Youth of the Beast

Decever
Dec 26, 2015

friendo55 posted:

Howl's Moving Castle **NEW** (2016.01.02) - adding an animated film, which is also near the top of films I've yet to see on the IMDB 250 list

This is my favorite Ghibli film, hope you like it!

I was given The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. First off I was really surprised by the tone of the movie it was much grittier than I could have thought. I had little information about this movie except that it was directed by Sergio Leone, starred Clint Eastwood had a soundtrack from Ennio Morricone and was a "spaghetti" western. Although these points would probably hint at the movie's tone for someone better acquainted than me to the genre, I was clueless. This doesn't mean I disliked the movie quite the contrary I really enjoyed it. The film had an amazing sense of suspence and tention to it. And the three title characters were all very interesting to follow in their own specific way.

This was a great movie and Ennio Morricone's legendary soundtrack really elevated the material. This soundtrack ranks toe to toe with my favorite Morricone soundtrack Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion.

Le Silence de la Mer (1947) - Melville's first feature length movie, I love later Melville films Le Samourai is among my favorites. (Added 12/30/2015)

Day for Night (La Nuit Américaine) (1973) - Francois Truffaut's loveletter to the chaotic process of film making. (Added 01/04/2015)

Watched: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Youth of the Beast

Decever
Dec 26, 2015

marioinblack posted:

4. La Dolce Vita - 19 Oct 2015 - I've been looking through some lists of great movies and directors, and I realize I've never seen a Fellini film. I switched 8 1/2 to this due to suggestion.

Here you go. This is a great movie.

I watched Vertigo and I have to say it was excellent although I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as I did North by Northwest. It had a great plot and I liked James Steward even though it was visually obvious that he's 25 years older than Kim Novak making the romance angle a bit weird at times.
My favorite part of the film was the visuals, the movie was beautiful. During the entire movie I couldn't stop admiring the awesome colors brought by technicolor. And Hitchcock brings great and inventive shots as always.

But I have to say, that ending with the nun made me laugh. I was kinda expecting to see Tom Helmore dressed as a nun, but the reveal of her just being a regular nun scaring Kim Novak to her death was followed by the end of the movie so quickly it made it kind of comedic.

Day for Night (La Nuit Américaine) (1973) - Francois Truffaut's loveletter to the chaotic process of film making. (Added 01/04/2016)

Bigger Than Life (1956) - "The story of the handful of hope that became a fistful of hell!" (Added 01/10/2016)

Watched: Vertigo, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Youth of the Beast

Decever
Dec 26, 2015

Zogo posted:

#207 Pierrot the Madman AKA Pierrot le Fou - The only film in the TSPDT top 75 I haven't seen. 1/2/16

This is very much in the same vein as Weekend I enjoyed it as much as you can these types of Godard movie.

I had to watch Heat, and I have to say thank you to this thread because I loved it! The action was top notch, I guess some characters might come off as slightly one sided but I don't think this hurts the movies flow. This is the second Michael Mann film I have seen, the first one being Manhunter, and while the aspect ratio was weird to get used to, MM takes full advantage of it during the heist scenes.

Since it took me two weeks to watch this I also had time to watch another movie in my list: The Conformist (1970) from Bernardo Bertolucci

This is the story of a man who becomes a Fascist secret agent in the thirties out of the desire for normalcy. The film follows him on a mission in Paris to kill his old Philosophy Teacher now considered a subversive. The visuals really are what sets this film apart, the cinematography was very reminiscent of a Wes Anderson film at times. So much so in fact that I wondered if Wes Anderson had seen and or talked about it, in the end I found an interview of Anderson's favorite director of photography Robert Yeoman saying "Wes or Paul Feig and I know both of them have seen The Conformist [...] I love that movie so much and I always thought it would be a good thing for directors to see". But as good as the visuals were I wasn't engaged all that much by the story, but the visuals definitely make watching the movie worth the time.

My list:

Day for Night (La Nuit Américaine) (1973) - Francois Truffaut's loveletter to the chaotic process of film making. (Added 01/04/2016)

Bigger Than Life (1956) - "The story of the handful of hope that became a fistful of hell!" (Added 01/10/2016)

Thief (1981) - Replacing Heat with another Michael Mann movie (Added 01/23/2016)

Eraserhead (1977) - I loved watching Twin Peaks I think I would enjoy more from David Lynch(Added 01/23/2016)

Watched: The Conformist, Heat, Vertigo, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Youth of the Beast

Decever fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decever
Dec 26, 2015
Tokyo Story is an amazing film although it's not my favorite Yasujiro Ozu film that title would go to An Autumn Afternoon.

So I watched Eraserhead and it took me a really long time to get around to writing this review because I wasn't sure whether or not I actually liked the movie. The experience of watching the movie was never enjoyable, most of the time it was either disconcerting or downright alienating. But then again I knew enough about the theme of the movie, the crippling fear accompanying fatherhood, to realize and appreciate the work and the thoughts that went into that movie. All in all I much prefer the "Twin Peaks" David Lynch than the "Eraserhead" David Lynch maybe the former was edulcorated by Mark Frost. At it's most "Lynchian" Twin Peaks was weird and esoteric, Eraserhead was disturbing. But then again that is the goal of the Author in that particular case, in that sense the movie really succeed in conveying the feelings of anguish and anxiety Lynch intended it to.

My list:

Thief (1981) - Replacing Heat with another Michael Mann movie (Added 01/23/2016)

A Brighter Summer Day (1991) - This is supposed to be pretty good if I am to believe the Criterion Collection, haven't seen much asian cinema that's not Japanese (Added 04/21/2016)

Watched: Eraserhead, The Conformist, Heat, Vertigo, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Youth of the Beast

Decever fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 21, 2016