Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Sandwich Bender, you watch Oldboy. I just watched the remake and it pales in comparison to the original.

IMDb top 250...of shame!

1) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I've seen bits of it through the years, but never the entire movie.

2) 12 Angry Men - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

3) Schindler's List - Not sure how I haven't seen it.

4) Seven Samurai - I heard this was a remake of The Magnificent 7, but in black and white. Looks good.

5) City of God - Seen part of it. I feel like that is a bad habit I have.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

7) It's a Wonderful Life - Oh god, another old-timey movie.

8) Rear Window - I've only seen a couple by Hitchcock.

9) Psycho - See #9

10) Sunset Blvd. A noir film. Like French black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Sandwich Bender, I hope you don't mind terribly if I pick your next one too. Go for Blade Runner. I first saw this when I was fairly young and I wasn't really a fan, but later on I gave it another try and watched The Final Cut, and I now greatly enjoy it, so go for The Final Cut.

So, Schindler's List. This was a well made movie. I loved the black in white, and the blu-ray made it look great. It's obviously a powerful and emotional topic, but my one complaint is that Schindler's character (or any character) had basically zero nuance. This is common to most Spielberg movies. Schindler is a a greedy womanizer, then Schindler is a repentant and faithful husband, just another vehicle of the feel good transition. I realize this is basically how it went, but it came off as contrived. I think the story is more important than the characters so this is a minor quibble.
8.5/10

IMDb top 250...of shame!

1) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - I've seen bits of it through the years, but never the entire movie.

2) 12 Angry Men - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

4) Seven Samurai - I heard this was a remake of The Magnificent 7, but in black and white. Looks good.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

9) Psycho - See #9

11) City Lights - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Vertigo Ambrosia, you get Upstream Color. I think this is much easier to "get" than Carruth's Primer, but I think it's also much more open to interpretation.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. An obvious classic with an iconic score. I loved the tension. It flew by for a three hour movie.
9/10

IMDb top 250...of shame!

9) Psycho - See #8

11) City Lights - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

12) Saving Private Ryan - I have an irrational aversion to Spielberg sometimes.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

TrixRabbi posted:

Other way around. The Magnificent Seven is a remake of Seven Samurai. Also, Seven Samurai makes Magnificent Seven look like chump change.

I was actually making a wry joke :( I believe it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, five months later, geez. TychoCelchuuu watch Dead Man. I am not sure if you're a stupid loving white man, but it's quite possible.

So, Seven Samurai:

Obviously a seminal film. I find it hard to watch older movies sometimes, and at the beginning the obvious bald wigs everyone was wearing sort of put me off. That soon passed and I eventually got into the movie. Mifune was probably my favourite thing about the film. A part of me wishes I could have started with movies like this, and moved forward with the refinements in cinematography and choreography. It just makes it harder for me to appreciate movies like this from my current perspective. I did quite enjoy it, however.
8/10

I also checked off Saving Private Ryan during my 5 month hiatus from the thread:

I just don't like Tom Hanks very much. The movie was clearly well done, and Tom Hanks did a decent job, but I just don't like him. Maybe it's irrational. I did like the rest of the cast for the most part. Lots of actors that have gone on to be mainstays. It's also hard not to compare this to The Thin Red Line, which I enjoyed so much more.
7.5/10

2) 12 Angry Men (1957) - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

5) City of God (2002) - Seen part of it. I feel like that is a bad habit I have.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

7) It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - Oh god, another old-timey movie.

8) Rear Window (1954) - I've only seen a couple by Hitchcock.

9) Psycho (1960) - See #8

10) Sunset Blvd. (1950) - A noir film. Like French black.

11) City Lights (1931) - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

13) Life Is Beautiful (1997) - I remember seeing advertisements for this movie all the time on VHS movies. Surprisingly never on my radar as a 12 year old kid.

14) The Intouchables (2011) - This will sound ridiculous (more ridiculous than my other comments), but I just couldn't get over the cover for this movie. It seems so happy. It bothers me. I've heard it's a really good movie, from many people.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
friendo55 watch Million Dollar Baby.

So, Psycho:

More tense than modern day thrillers. Anthony Perkins gives a great performance. Now I finally understand all the references to The Bates Motel and Norman Bates. I was somehow oblivious to the ending, which was a nice surprise. I can imagine that this was a fairly daring film for its time, but it's hard for me to factor that into my appreciation of it. It was still very much enjoyed.
8/10

2) 12 Angry Men (1957) - I don't know a lot about this movie, though have considered watching it for a while.

5) City of God (2002) - Seen part of it. I feel like that is a bad habit I have.

6) Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) - Another classic by Sergio Leone that I haven't seen.

10) Sunset Blvd. (1950) - A noir film. Like French black.

11) City Lights (1931) - I've barely even seen clips of Charlie Chaplin. I'm greatly curious how I'll receive this kind of film.

13) Life Is Beautiful (1997) - I remember seeing advertisements for this movie all the time on VHS movies. Surprisingly never on my radar as a 12 year old kid.

14) The Intouchables (2011) - This will sound ridiculous (more ridiculous than my other comments), but I just couldn't get over the cover for this movie. It seems so happy. It bothers me. I've heard it's a really good movie, from many people.

15) Modern Times (1936) - Vaguely dreading having two Charlie Chaplin movies on this list, but maybe I have nothing to worry about.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

Hey Tsyni, about the two Chaplin films on your list, I've got a question. Have you seen any Buster Keaton? He's definitely just as "important" and as far as I'm concerned his movies are some of the best that I've seen from this thread. Just a recommendation if you happen to be interested in the silent stuff.

I am not necessarily interested in the silent stuff, but I am curious. I haven't seen any of it. I guess it's unclear, but I am just going through the IMDB top 250 and watching the ones I haven't seen. I'll definitely keep that in mind, though.

Dr. Caligari, I am a big fan of Wes Anderson, but I think Life Aquatic isn't his strongest movie. I still liked it. I guess it depends where you want to start. My favourites are Rushmore and Moonrise Kingdom (I haven't seen The Grand Budapest Hotel, yet). You must watch The Fog of War, however.

So, Sunset Blvd.:

I loved it. I am a massive fan of neo-noir, and so it makes sense I would enjoy what came before. It's always nice to finally understand references I've heard many times. Near the end I was starting to feel things slump just a tiny bit, but those feelings were erased after the final scene. Great stuff.
9/10

15) Modern Times (1936) - Vaguely dreading having two Charlie Chaplin movies on this list, but maybe I have nothing to worry about.

16) The Pianist (2002) - I've had this movie for so long, and I just have never gotten around to seeing it.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
TychoCelchuuu, watch Zulu.

So, Rear Window:

I thought this was great. My favourite Hitchcock so far next to Vertigo. This is the first time I've seen Grace Kelly, and she is beautiful, geez. Lots of stuff in this film I am assuming was fairly innovate for the time. I am sure there have been countless words that have extolled this movie better than I can. It was definitely very suspenseful, Hitchcock is obviously a master of it.
8.5/10

16) The Pianist (2002) - I've had this movie for so long, and I just have never gotten around to seeing it.

17) The Lives of Others (2006) - This is another movie I've considered watching countless times, but it's never really lined up for some reason. I don't know much about it.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.; Rear Window

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Mistletoe Donkey, watch Carlos...because that's the only one I've seen on your list.

So, City Lights:

The first silent film I've seen. It was better than I expected, I think. Very charming. I was worried after the opening scene and the strange noises the people were making at the statue unveiling. It took a bit for me to let go an enjoy it, but midway through the movie things sort of clicked.
7.5/10

17) The Lives of Others (2006) - This is another movie I've considered watching countless times, but it's never really lined up for some reason. I don't know much about it.

18) Boyhood (2014) - I am just going down the IMDB top 250, and this one snuck in between the movies I haven't scene. I am generally a fan of Linklater, and I'd intended to watch this at some point. Here it is, on the list!

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.; Rear Window; City Lights

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Space Cob, watch Donnie Darko. I think it's a fairly decent movie, maybe you will also.

So, 12 Angry Men:

I don't know why I avoided watching this for so long. Fantastic acting. Things seemed to really unravel organically for the most part, and none of the plot points seemed contrived. It was just well done. Sort of straightforward because you know where things are going, but a still a fun ride.
8.5/10

I also watched City of God, I had actually seen most of this movie before, but being able to take it all in was enjoyable. Wonderful cinematography. I liked it all the way through.
8.5/10

18) Boyhood (2014) - I am just going down the IMDB top 250, and this one snuck in between the movies I haven't seen. I am generally a fan of Linklater, and I'd intended to watch this at some point. Here it is, on the list!

19) The Great Dictator (1940) - I've heard the speech. Curious about the rest of the movie.

20) The Shining (1980) - I might have started to watch this one time. I even started the book one time.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.; Rear Window; City Lights; 12 Angry Men; City of God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Ratedargh, watch Blast of Silence. I like the title. That is all.

So, The Shining:

I had watched some of this before and I fell asleep. I fell asleep again. I enjoyed how the movie was shot, and the opening canyon scenes were pretty, but the movie itself just wasn't compelling to me. Jack Nicholson was great...and then not as great. I often feel like modern horror movies have ruined all the older ones for me, to a certain extent. Still, the cinematography was quite good, so at least there is that.
7/10

18) Boyhood (2014) - I am just going down the IMDB top 250, and this one snuck in between the movies I haven't seen. I am generally a fan of Linklater, and I'd intended to watch this at some point. Here it is, on the list!

19) The Great Dictator (1940) - I've heard the speech. Curious about the rest of the movie.

21) Cinema Paradiso (1988) - I picked up this movie years ago because I heard it was good from this forum. I haven't watched it yet, though.

Deshamed: Schindler's List; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; Seven Samurai; Saving Private Ryan; Psycho; Sunset Blvd.; Rear Window; City Lights; 12 Angry Men; City of God; The Shining