Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

Riven posted:

Well, that's awesome. Honestly, I'm super excited to see the public transportation options available in all the cities we'll be visiting. From this example alone they clearly blow away even the Bay Area, which has one of the best PT systems in the US.

Germany is the closest definition of state-of-the-art public transportation I can imagine outside Japan. Do yourself a favor and visit any major German HBF before you leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

Saladman posted:

I was going to suggest Pisa also. It's relatively close, only 95% as much of a tourist trap as Venice, and then you can go up the Leaning Tower.

Florence is one of the biggest tourist trap cities in Italy, just after Venice, so it shouldn't be too jarring unless getting yelled at by Africans who want you to buy "real" Prada gear on the street sends you into conniptions.

Florence might be a bit of a tourist trap (for a good reason) but Pisa is a dump and I would never suggest going there to begin with, let alone throwing away a whole day. Stick to Florence when in doubt.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
Visit Tour Montparnasse if you're fond of landscapes, you can even see the Eiffel Tower, which isn't possible on the tower itself :v:

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
As an Italian I feel the need to underline the fact that our train tickets are dirt cheap compared to nearby countries, so using a Eurail in Italy is a big waste of money. Most oneway high-speed tickets are sold at prices between 9 and 20 euros each if booked in reasonable advance.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates
Sicily is absolutely fantastic and mindblowing, my favourite Italian region (and I'm Italian, guess it counts something).

Taormina dude. Don't you dare to leave the island before going there.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

Magna Kaser posted:

So I'm traveling to Europe next month to visit some friends and have a bit of a time away from Asia.

The first place I'm going is Berlin, to meet up with a friend I'll be traveling around with. Looking at plane tickets, flying in to Frankfurt is close to 400600?!?!? USD cheaper than flying into Berlin for whatever reason, and a train ticket from Frankfurt to Berlin seems to only run about 60-70 Euro on some websites I've checked. Is there something horribly wrong with this plan that I'm missing?

I was also planning on spending about 1 day in Frankfurt which will be mainly spent doing some work in a jetlagged stupor in whatever hotel room I find myself in before heading to Berlin the next day, but there are probably better ways I could spend that time so suggestions would be nice.

fake edit: I also noticed there are two different Berlin airports, and I will be flying out of Berlin. Is one markedly better/easier to get to/etc than the other? Flights seem to be about the same-ish price from either.

Nah. Frankfurt is lame, literally a town with some skyscrapers that are horribly out of place. Save for energies for Berlin, you'll need them.

Berlin Schönefeld has several train connections to the city, you'll be able to get there using the S-Bahn network from literally any single location of the city, unlike Tegel.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

MrOnBicycle posted:

Has anyone been to Kaliningrad? While not a member of the EU, it's in Europe so I figured I'd ask here. It's strangely intriguing from looking on google maps. I sort of want to visit. Is it cool or interesting or just a waste of time?

Used to be called Königsberg, the former capital of Prussia before it moved to Berlin, and known as the unofficial birthplace of modern Germany. Unfortunately the whole city was wiped off the map during WW2, whatever is left is a modern reconstruction. Not sure it's worth the hassle of applying for a Russian visa.

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

EricBauman posted:

Judging from the postings and pictures of a former colleague of mine, the city could very well be entirely full of people decrying what the vile Russians have done to this once proud Prussian city, and other stuff that smacks of German nationalism, nazi apology and revisionism.

I doubt there's a single ethnic German left anywhere in the entire region; Königsberg was deliberately removed from the maps, while Stettin, Danzig and Breslau saw the deportation of their entire population to Germany after the aforementioned pink regions were assigned to Poland right after the war. They aren't even called anymore with their original names.

If you are interested in Soviet architecture/constructivism spend those 3 days in St. Petersburg. Königsberg sounds so... sad and cursed by history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Vulvio
Mar 1, 2007

Good morning Mrs. Bates

thecolorpurple posted:

What would be the most cost-efficient way to get a one-way trip from Toulouse to Barcelona? Searching discount airlines, I haven't found anything that flies from Toulouse, save one that didn't fly to Barcelona.

Why don't you just take the train? There's a pretty good high-speed railway network in both countries, the only inconvenience is changing the train twice to get there.