Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So along the same lines I have a trip forming where I will be going to Dublin in early May to see a friend's play. She and her fiance are doing 8 plays in four days so I'm hoping to see it once at the most. GF and I will be in Dublin for a few days without any kind of itinerary while they do that and then when the play is done we're considering some light travel for like four days.

If this has been covered in the thread please let me know and I'll dig through it. I'm curious what the weather will be like and what things I should try to visit in Ireland. I've never been out of the airport in London but I think that would need to be a different trip. I've also already been to several countries in Europe so I think we'd probably avoid crossing the sea altogether.

All the day trips I see are like 15 hours away lol. To be specific, I am sure we'll find our own things to do in Dublin like see the illuminated manuscripts and drink ourselves stupid every day. I'm wondering about where to go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

waffy posted:

I've spent about 3 weeks in Ireland over two trips and still haven't seen lots of regions there (although admittedly, we revisited some places we really liked).

what places? So far my 8 day trip to Ireland includes Dublin, Galway and a day trip to the Cliffs.

Also let's say you were theoretically going to propose on this trip and were looking for a good spot that isn't the Cliffs since one of your friends already did that. Theoretically.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That is a wealth of information I don't deserve

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay so I just found out that I arrive in Dublin on a Wednesday and can't actually leave that city until Sunday so I'm just sticking to Dublin / Galway as my two destinations. I was wondering about train travel? Or is it better to rent a car? Because I'm gonna be honest the driving on the left side sounds like it would be an adjustment and I don't know how to prepare for it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I rented a drat near bus sized gigantic Mercedes SUV in Austria that was manual and drove it from Innsbruck up the Zugspitz and on to Munich without having a clue what most of the signs on the road meant and I'm fairly confident that that was a dangerous mistake that I lucked into not being a problem. I almost got it stuck in snow and I got smoked by BMWs scorching by me on the Autobahn. I think I'll take the train this time.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Huh. I was with you up until "shifting with your left hand" which I hadn't even considered. Assuming the clutch is still on the left side I think I can figure it out though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Saladman posted:

Alternately just pay for lounge access and rest up. 8 hours is definitely enough time to go into town and walk around, but I guess it’d be weather-dependent and time of day dependent if that was worthwhile compared to your energy levels, unless there’s some specific site you wanted to see. Otherwise "seeing" Amsterdam is largey general atmosphere of the canals and such; I can’t think of any specific sites, other than museums, eg nothing like the Arc de Triomphe or the Pantheon where it’s a quick and specific architectural visit. There are some specific areas but it’s mostly walking around the streets and checking out shops and gawking, unlike say, Paris or Rome.

But yeah no reason not to get a SIM in Amsterdam while you’re there, if it saves you anything in Portugal it would only be like €5-€10, and you’ll want that SIM anyway if you go into town. There’s a direct bus from the airport to Museumsplein which is super convenient as well.

I spent 6 hours in the airport lounge in Copenhagen and it was glorious. Free coffee/espresso, food and booze, wifi, etc. There are also signs that said please don't sleep and I noticed them when I got up from my 3 hour nap.

A+ would recommend

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I personally can't answer because we leached off my girlfriend's mom's membership.

Also I forgot about the private comfy bathrooms which took up 30 minutes of my stay which also would recommend. Bring your laptop in.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah the copenhagen one had a full bar and no employees attending to it save the occasional person walking around collecting dishes. Beautiful. I made various coffee / whiskey concoctions before I conked out

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

Oh no, I used to live and work in Bolzano. My former colleagues. :ohdear:

When I was taking the train to Innsbruck I had the choice of stopping in Trento or Bolzano for the night and went with Trento and I feel like I should have taken another day for Bolzano as well.

The pictures make it look like Witcher 3 Blood and Wine expansion.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There's a Michelin starred restaurant in Trento. Not that I ate there but it's there.

Also if you're going to ski might as well take the train up to Innsbruck, it's a ski paradise

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There's one review of Noctors apparently because I was curious:

quote:

This a TRUE Irish Dive bar! When you come in here, you're coming to drink and forget your sorrows. No romance, no date nights, no American frat boy tourists - just the drunkest Irish locals you've ever seen, drinking Guinness and looking sad.

I did have a nice conversation with the owner, and when I told her I was from Texas, she immediately introduced me to the drunkest man I've ever seen in my life sitting at the end of the bar and said "He spends summers in Florida." The man called me over and he slurred his way through a story about driving in Florida. He also asked me where I was from 12 times in our 5 minute conversation.

It was truly amazing and if I ever come back to Dublin, I'm definitely having a pint at my new favorite pub, Noctor's!

edit: also this sounds kind of awesome but can someone tell me if it is good touristy or cheesy touristy before I go in May?

quote:

The Afternoon Dublin Mountain Pub Tour gives everyone the opportunity to experience true Irish Pub culture at 3 of Dublin’s finest rural pubs, whilst taking in the beautiful scenery in The Dublin Mountains.

We make the short journey (30mins) out of the City & up the Dublin Mountains to our first stop, you can set yourself up for the day & enjoy some of the best pub food served in Ireland.

After a meal to remember we make the short scenic journey across the hills to our second pub Johnnie Fox's Pub. Here you will enjoy some of the best Traditional Irish music.

At our last stop you will be amazed by the spectacular views from the pub of Dublin Bay & there will be more live music to enjoy or maybe get to know some of the friendly locals.

Enjoy the amazing views whilst sitting in the beer garden or through the window while relaxing beside the cosy turf fire.

An afternoon full of fun & Laughs

Duration: 5 hours

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 6, 2020

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah my flights are early May, and if anything I expect more restrictions by then given the pace that this is spreading. Can't cancel my tickets though, so if we get there and everything's shut down, we'll just explore the countryside.

We haven't booked our flights from LA to Dublin in early May yet. The prices have not fallen, btw. Gonna wait this out and then also absolutely book refundable tickets.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Omne posted:

It's taken nearly a decade for the planets to align and get my mom's bucket list trip to Ireland planned and booked. We leave for Dublin on 5/21 so hoping this is all better by then, otherwise we will need to move it to next year

I was supposed to leave for Dublin 5/7 but I am not optimistic at all.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I had an airbnb owner get completely hammered along with a taking a bunch of pills and then start pounding on our door trying to break in while screaming threats and airbnb ignored every message I sent about it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like Amsterdam in the 90s before everyone smoked weed in their own countries had to be the height of asinine tourism.

it was insufferable just to hear American teens and college age kids talk about it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But the wine is so cheap it makes up for it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I went to Carmel a couple of weeks ago and can verify it is awesome

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have a co-worker that lives just outside of Bologna and he said he was so confined to his area he couldn't even go downtown to the city he lives in. How common is this? It seems wild to me as an American full of dumbass freedom people

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Europe finding a way to keep the dipshit Chud percentage of Americans out would be very enviable

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm an American with an Art History degree and I definitely felt like I was swimming upwards when I was in Florence.

It is unsurprising to me that most of the Italians in the area seem to prefer to live outside Florence. It's like my friend who lives in Brooklyn but works in Times Square and wants to tear his hair out every minute he is there.

Some American who thought Michelangelo built the entire Florence Cathedral kept shouting "who?" when they were talking about Ghiberti's doors. I also noticed a lot of tour guides they assign to Americans are also American. I feel like this isn't happening by chance.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My closest guess is that she somehow got all turned around over the years after hearing St. Peter is buried in the catacombs below the church. And they don't let the general public go down there anyway.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

I'm an American who lived in Italy for close to five years. I lived mostly in Bolzano and Trento, where the former has mostly German and Austrian tourists and the latter had none that I can think of.

I have visited Trento so I guess you get American tourists. I love both those cities btw

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought when I was in Trento as a lifelong skier/snowboarder that it would have been a great place to live in my college years.

then I went to Innsbruck and was like oh poo poo wait nevermind I meant this place. This is the place.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was gonna say I just walked up to the Vatican, found a tour guide company right outside and paid like, I'm gonna say something around a hundred bucks and got a fantastic tour. That was just a couple years ago but I guess prices could have skyrocketed after Covid

edit: also it didn't hurt that the guide was a hot girl from Savannah, Georgia getting her PHD in Art History. I'm sure they tend to stick Americans with American guides but as an Art History major from the US with eyeballs I wasn't complaining.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 14, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was an art history major with a focus in Italian Renaissance but went to Rome and Florence and promised the people I was with that I wouldn't drag them to a bunch of sightseeing destinations and just played it cool. I don't at all regret missing certain things and instead treasure the relaxed two weeks we had just wandering in to places and experiences. Not only does it make me want to go back to those cities but the memories don't feel rushed or panicked trying to hit everything. Recommend.

Also got hooked up at a winery that was closed for the day about 45 minutes north of Florence and ended up spending the day drinking and eating with the family that runs it. I'll gladly take that memory over waiting in line at the Academy to see Michelangelo's David. Besides, it isn't going anywhere.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Innsbruck looks like the city from Frozen turned real. I could have spent the entire winter there

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Will it be a problem if the steering wheel is on the wrong side as soon as you leave the UK

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Uh unless you visit the Alps then mid Feb is magic

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've skied all over the US and sure it is expensive but man did it kill me to go to Garmisch and not ski. Sure we did the spas and the fondue and the molly-laced debauchery but looking out over the dolomites from the train up from Trento, garmisch from the bars and the glacier from the top of zugspitze holy poo poo was the ski fever burning. Drinking in Innsbruck and being surrounded by towering peaks didn't help either. I should have budgeted it in.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

whoa, a tourist in Trento? what did you see? I lived there for 2.5 years. I used to go to with friends/work colleagues to Cortina and Val Gardena. I don't know how to ski (lol), so I would sit by a fireplace and get drunk on amaro or brule. Love that memory.

I was only there for a night and walked around the city for hours which isn’t that big so I did laps and had a fantastic meal. At first I was going to go to that restaurant that has Michelin stars but there was a wait turns out the food is just excellent everywhere there. Took a train out the next morning that was the most gorgeous train ride I’ve ever been on through the Alps in a blizzard

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I stayed in a place right next to the Vatican and it was very cheap, safe, and close to everything. It was frankly incredible. You might spring for something a touch nicer, I have no idea what your budget is.

https://www.priceline.com/relax/at/...57e06391f5adfef

Our friends stayed across the street in a more expensive, nicer one. These are called hotels but they're just rooms with private entrances. The room was nothing to write home about but they provided fresh breakfast every morning and the walkability was amazing. Highly suggest this area.

Also eat at Sorpasso

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

I stayed in a place right next to the Vatican and it was very cheap, safe, and close to everything. It was frankly incredible. You might spring for something a touch nicer, I have no idea what your budget is.

https://www.priceline.com/relax/at/...57e06391f5adfef

Our friends stayed across the street in a more expensive, nicer one. These are called hotels but they're just rooms with private entrances. The room was nothing to write home about but they provided fresh breakfast every morning and the walkability was amazing. Highly suggest this area.

Also eat at Sorpasso

Here's the place across the street:

Star Vatican Rooms
Via Catone 29, Rome, RM, 00192 Italy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wish I could get proper altbier (if that's how you spell the old black lager style beer) here in the states. I guess the purity laws prevent it though

Every time I've tried to find something close it's a pale imitation

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Drone posted:

Don't see what purity laws would have to do with it.

:grin:

Because they don't allow preservatives? So it doesn't ship out of country? I mean, someone working at the Kloster Weltenburg Abbey told me that. I have zero reason to disbelieve them but also allow they could have been full of poo poo.

Also altbier I think just means the fermenting process which Kölsch doesn't do? If there is another word for that delicious beer in Germany that is black as night but isn't a stout or porter I apologize. And if someone knows where to get it in the States I'd appreciate it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I want to jog around lake bled one day

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People hate Florence? That's news I loved it there.

art history major though

also I was there in late January so maybe the crowds weren't nearly as bad

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 15, 2022

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I also loved Trento and wish I lived there as a college student. There or Innsbruck. In another multiverse life I spent a year abroad there in college skiing three times a week.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My train ride from Trento to Innsbruck during a blizzard was like right out of Frozen. Just magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol my Italian grandfather who moved to the States from Udine is actually Tyrol. So his family did exactly that.

I can be a dual citizen in Italy and like both sides of my family are actually Tyrolean? I'm not sure if that's how you say that. Anyway I was obsessed with skiing and the mountains before I knew this so I guess it's in my blood.

Gonna go watch Third Man on the Mountain. Swiss? It'll have to suffice.