Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Yay Carebear! I re-read the FAQ (for like the hundredth time) and laughed at my corny old jokes. :D I'm really glad to see that the PI ratters are still as interested as ever. I hope everyone enjoys this thread as much as the last one. Thanks again to Carebear. You are awesome! <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

I never post pics of my guys so I took some today. :3:

Your Magic (I think) has the same face blaze that my Hubble does. I love rats with little face masks. :D That salad idea is awesome. I think I might make one up for my guys soon.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

daggerdragon posted:

We here at PI recommend...

That makes us sound so professional. :D

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Slidje posted:

Also Casper likes to play peekaboo.

You have to get a video of this.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Rodent Mortician posted:

Yeah, they did it when they unbanned prairie dogs. Unfortunately they're still pretty rare. I think they breed kind of slowly comparatively and are fairly expensive. But one day, I'll have one too. :3:

Until then, I sponsored one of the mine seeking rats at http://herorat.org

I'd love a gambian rat. Think about how awesome it would be to take it for a walk. :D

Also, thanks for that link. I'm definitely going to look into donating to them.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Pterodactyl posted:

Quick concern: Dex has a bit of a cough, or a sniffle, or a something.

Rats can get "huffy" when they are stressed or in a new environment. I'd give them a few days to calm down and get used to their surroundings before taking them to the vet. My rats get a bit choofy right after I clean their cage, but they're usually fine in an hour or so.

Also, you must make a video of your rats using that slide. :3:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/choking.htm

Someone in the previous thread actually had to do this. "The Fling" worked and the rat was saved! Pretty scary stuff.

I've had to Fling one of my rats before. He had gotten a hold of some paper and started to choke on it. So I Flung him a couple times, cleared out his mouth, Flung him a bit more and he was totally fine. It was really scary for a few seconds though...

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

I just noticed that one of my rats was having a hard time eating a Yogie. Turns out that his bottom two teeth look...broken? They are much shorter than the other rat's teeth and have a gap between them. I had noticed he's lost a little weight in the past few weeks, but I figured it was due to age (they're over two years old). The injury is really confusing because I have no idea how it would've happened. I'm going to go out tomorrow and get some cottage cheese to help fatten him up, probably some pudding or baby food too. Hopefully his teeth grow back a little faster than they have been.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Superconsndar posted:

So, apparently there are people in the world who can not tell the gender of something as obvious as a dog. :gonk:

Ovaries go on the outside, right?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Eraser babies! :swoon:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

RE: Ivermectin

In the OP it's sort of non-specific about whether you should dose the rats every day for 2-3 weeks or once a week for every 2-3 weeks. I'm about to start my boys on the treatment (I have no idea where these loving things come from so often!) and I'd like to know what's recommended. I mean, maybe it's clear to everyone else but I'm confused...

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Thanks. I figured it was 1/week but I wanted to make sure. :)

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

I had that same thing happen to one of my rats last year. His eye looked just like that, we took him to the vet and they said the same thing. Although I wouldn't say to someone to not get it checked out, because like Super said, it could potentially be an infection, or a scratched cornea or something. But most of the time its harmless.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Sorry to pile on the "my rat died" posts but...

Sgt. Avery Johnson expired a little while ago. He (and his bro) are almost three years old, and he had been losing weight and some hair, but was still eating and getting around just fine. I heard some bumping around in the cage, which sounded normal because they would tussle a lot, but it kept up for about thirty seconds, so I thought it was a serious fight. I come over to see Avery on his side, slowly dying. He died in the few seconds it took me to go get a shirt to wrap him in. :(

Now I don't know what to do about Hubble, his brother. Like I said, he's almost three and we don't have any other rats. My husband really doesn't want to get any more since we'll be moving in less than a year, so that's out. Hubble is very healthy so I don't want to put him down. I was thinking about just getting some small stuffed animals to keep in the cage for him to cuddle with, and then just having him out all the time when we're home for maximum socialization. Any other suggestions?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Amiss posted:

But then TheSnowySoviet says, "Well, how would you feel without them?" And honestly..? Coming home to an apartment devoid of domesticated rodents would just be terrible and sad. And for as much as it hurts when they go, every little moment where I pass their cage and they look up at me, every time they snuggle into my hands, every time they bound across the floor to leap into my lap, every time I reach in to scratch their snoozy heads when they're in the hammock and then can't stop petting them because they're so goddamn sweet... I think it must be worth it.

Thanks for the condolences. I feel the exact same way. I love rats because they are such a completely different pet and it's going to suck not having any once Hubble passes. Speaking of which, he's doing well by himself. He sleeps during the day and most of the night so he's active while we're home. We have him out of the cage for hours and provide food and water for him; he seems to like it. He's becoming a little chubber though. I think I'm spoiling him too much. :D

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

redjenova posted:

Hello rat people :)

I'm an apartment-dweller searching for a rodent friend. I've had guinea pigs, mice, and hamsters in the past. I'm open to pretty much anything at this point, and it's a ways off still, but part of me is interested in looking into something I haven't had before. Rats sound really awesome, but like I said, I've never had one (two+) before... I read the OP, but it's hard for me to envision what the reality of owning one would be like. Can anyone give me an overview? :)

dog days are over summed it up pretty well. Imagine having a small little furry creature that can chill on your arm, will eat anything in front of it, can learn tricks and likes to snuggle. It's pretty awesome.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

I haven't had ratties in years, so I thought I'd stop in to check out the pictures. I'm loving Damo and Miya! :kimchi: Oh and hello again old rat thread peeps. :wave:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

sometimes I feel like this thread is the forum equivalent of people you only meet at weddings and funerals - new rats, dead rats and not long enough in between. Sorry for your loss, it's always hard.

What a perfect post to quote to say that I finally broke down after several years and got more rats again. :)

(L to R, Sunny, Gizmo, Takeshi, Bernard, Teddy)

They sat still for maybe two minutes while I got a couple photos like this, then went crazy and ran around.

This little guy was Claptrap. We had him for one week before he got incredibly sick and passed away. It was really rough because I had explained to my husband that they don't last long (these are his first pets), and to have his favorite one leave us so quickly was a punch in the gut for sure. The breeder we adopted him from ended up letting us have a "replacement" rat, as I wanted four rats, and she ended up throwing in Gizmo as a bonus baby, heh.

I definitely missed having pet rats, these little guys have so much personality and they are tons of fun! I realized I'm still terrible with coming up with decent ideas for toys, but I'm trying. Pintrest actually has some cool cage and toy designs on there. That's where I got the idea to clip cheap plastic placemats over the metal flooring to protect their paws. Super easy to clean and it makes the giant Martin cage I got for them cage look fancy.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

The Snoo posted:

e: I have a plastic bin full of shredded blank newsprint for them, my husband got me a bunch from his job and the rats love to take it from the bottom floor to the top and make a big nest with it! I also use the biodegradable packing peanuts from dr's. foster and smith orders in a box as a fun dig box for the rats.

Guy Mann posted:

A fun cheap toy my boys like is putting a bunch of shredded paper in a 5 gallon Homer bucket and letting them burrow. You can put a few treats in there too, and when they're done they can clamber out on their own so you don't have to feel like you're trapping them or anything.

:doh: Those are a great idea! I can't believe I forgot about dig boxes. I even have the perfect box from Amazon that I was going to toss in the recycling. Cheers!

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

The Snoo posted:

they already started chewing the inside :mad:

they jump on top of it and flatten it and then nose-bump their way back inside and fluff it out again, it's very cute

Video! :kimchi:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Falstaff posted:

1) You get used to them pretty quick. They're only shocking when you see them for the first time.
2) In the vast majority of cases, you won't get any more pee than what you'd be used to by females. Only dominant rats perform excessive marking, and only with subordinate rats - unless you're doing something very wrong, your rats should see you as their alpha.

In the rare occasions where you get a really mark-happy male, getting him fixed will almost always end that.

The benefits of males:
-More inclined to cuddling. They make great lap rats as they get older.
-Less tumor-prone than females.

I really only notice my hairless rat's balls because they aren't covered with anything, the other boys have fur covering most of them, so they aren't really prominent.

I've been having an issue on and off with my alpha rat. He dominance humps every once in a while, even though no one challenges him, but now the lowest rat on the totem pole has started doing it, but the others just let him without actually fighting. I really don't want to get anyone neutered, I'm just worried this behavior might get worse as he gets older (he's only about 4 months old). Anything else I can do to let them know I'm the alpha? I will stop fights when they happen, and I will do a light "scruff" (a small squeeze on the back of their neck) when necessary as well. It's annoying because my other rats never did that.

:kimchi: How are they doing?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

1 week, 17 babies, no infanticide. All of them survived and are healthy squirmy pink beans. Daddy was just re-introduced to the cage today after his neutering and we're watching the interactions. He is very interested and loving so far!

You know we need some pics to prove that. ;)

Falstaff posted:

Are they humping you? (That would be weird, I've never heard of that before.) If not, just let them work it out among themselves. They're not going to hurt each other, they're just figuring out a hierarchy.

Ha, no. That *would* be weird. Just each other, but it's odd to have to deal with, because my previous rats never did it at all, not once. And they hierarchy is set, no one fights for dominance, but Takeshi, the alpha, keeps doing it. That's why I'm confused.

Mushika posted:

When the difficulties of this world get me down, this thread delivers. Even when someone posts about the sadness of saying goodbye to a loved rat, it's still an honest, earnest sadness because our time with these creatures is just so unfortunately short. I've had to say goodbye to a goodly number of loved rats, but seeing new life makes me feel all tingly and hopeful inside. Thank you all for your posts.

:h:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's funny to watch her nurse the pile of tiny cows, then see someone walk in, expect a treat, get excited, and literally run around the cage dragging like 4-5 stubborn fuzzies who refuse to unlatch from her nipples.

That sounds amazing. :kimchi:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Does anyone have any good suggestions for foraging setups for ratties? My guys love digging for their food, and my only ideas so far have been to use small cardboard jewelry boxes and toilet paper rolls (stuffed with paper towels on either end with the sides folded over). It is also funny watching them drag around a stuffed tube they know has food in it, and fighting over it. :3:

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

This might be the best rat picture ever.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

The best is when they have to stop eating because their paws are wet and must be cleaned. :kimchi:

We just made a dig box for our boys. They are having fun just digging right now, but we'd love to hide treats in it. What do you all think would be good? Can they eat roasted peanuts or sunflower seeds (obviously in small quantities)? I'm sure they wouldn't mind but I don't want them eating a bunch of dirt-covered food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Free assless chaps.