Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I still have my Fuji Finepix Z10 and it's great. Manual settings take a little time to get through but it still runs pretty well after all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I just snagged a refurb Powershot G12 for $350 :toot:

Bigger than most but I've got pretty big hands so I can't complain.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My G12 accompanied me to San Antonio since I didn't have the space to pack my DSLR stuff. I have to say I really like it so far. Not really pocketable unless you have a jacket or coat, but love having the 3 dials across the top. Tilt/swivel screen is awesome as well. I'll get a few up when I can.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Fujifilm Finepix XP series are sealed up well. I believe all of them are submersible to at least 5 meters.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

In mid-April I go on holiday to europe, and I'm wanting a new travel zoom P&S to take with me. Looking at the news a bunch of new cameras are due to be launched really soon in that category.

But my time to buy a new one is running short, and I don't want to grab anything blind. What's considered a reasonable review site when it comes to decent opinions and quick review publication times?

DPreview.com is fantastic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Size notwithstanding, am I missing out on much by having the Canon G12 instead of the S100?

E: I see a few reviews that aren't wild about the S100's battery life but that's about it.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 10, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ringo R posted:

What's a decent water/shock proof p&s that looks like a regular p&s and doesn't have the xXxtr3mE OutDoor SpOrtz design with pastel colors?

I think you can get some of the Fuji ones in black and they're decent for basic shooting as I've heard. The Olympus Stylus Tough series has some goofy metal trim to it but you can get them in grey/black.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HPL posted:

Looks like Olympus' new tough camera has an f/2-4.9 lens in it. That's got to be the first time a rugged camera actually has a decent lens in it.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/01/olympus-goes-nuts-possibly-promoting-its-new-uber-durable-camera

I am loving the hell out of that. I wonder if they tested those by letting a bunch of kids beat the poo poo out of them too

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Insane Totoro posted:

I want to push button, get picture, upload to Facebook for wife.

Perfectly fine for that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone know when that new Olympus Tough is due out?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You're probably asking a bit too much to want both great low light and a superzoom. I'd stick to one with good low light, and keep in mind a good P&S can still allow you to give a fairly good crop to an image these days. Where are you going and what do you want to shoot?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Harry Privates posted:

Hoping I'm not asking for too much but looking for a camera under 200 that I would mostly be using for concerts (outdoor/indoor). So it needs to have a good zoom, HD video (I hear mono mics sound better for concerts) and be under 200. Is this possible?

Unfortunately, that's asking a ton to be under $200. I've never honestly been thrilled with on-board microphones, and I'd imagine most concerts would just fuzz them out pretty hard depending on how close you are and the music. Plus all the people much closer to you and the microphone going YEAH WOOOOO YEAH all the time.

You might be better off with a dedicated video camera and an attachable mic, honestly. Plus it'd be a hell of a lot more comfortable to hold.

In other news, THE TOUGH TG-1 IS HERE. IT IS ALSO IN MY HAND. IT MAY ALSO HAVE BEEN IN MY PANTS

I'm going to be spending a ton of time in/around the lake with some friends going waterskiing and such, so this should be a great.

Initial impressions, it certainly feels well built. Nice rubberized texture where you want it. The doors for the battery/SD card and TV/power jacks actually have two locks on them going two different ways, so you can't possibly open it accidentally, especially underwater.

The screen is fantastic. Plenty bright and sharp. Shitloads of different scene/setup modes (including some crazy artistic ones) seems to counterbalance the first complaint I have: You can't manually set the aperture. Still, it seems to pick it out well. Like Tough models before it, you can set it to a "tap" setting, where touching the sides works the zoom, and the top of the camera itself is the shutter. This was put in to make it easier to operate with gloves. Neat.

It comes with a seriously well-made wrist strap. It's going to break the bracket before the strap itself breaks. Nice addition.

No battery charger. Instead you're given a USB cord and plug and you charge the whole thing like you would a cell phone. First I've seen of that although maybe others do it as well to save on costs. No real complaints there.

I'll do a more thorough review tonight if I can.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 7, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Capt. Carl posted:

I kind of want an s95 for shooting pictures and video in Taiwan for a blog. If I buy a refurbed one it would be around 315 after all is said and done. Should I just do it live and get a new one for 400 on amazon?

I've been purchasing refurb stuff for a long time and never had an issue. Honestly I've never seen the difference between them and factory new. I don't see why you'd spend the extra $85.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Where's that review, huh? :colbert:

Just kidding. How's the display under sunlight? How's the image compare to your other cameras? Does the GPS require downloading map data like some other cameras?

:nyoron:

Display is fine under the sun. I hadn't really noticed before but in playing around with it some more it is a pretty wide lens. I think 25mm equivalent. Maybe it just seems wider to me too because nothing extends from the body, it's all contained. Images seem fantastic so far but I haven't pulled anything to my computer. I just got it back from the shop.

The sealing is everything they advertised. Ran it through the sink, dropped it in a friend's pool, no problems. :toot:

I'm going out today to get a ton of shots with it and will give you guys a full writeup either tonight or tomorrow I PROMISE. It's been a busy rear end week but I should be either free tonight or tomorrow since I've got a 5 hour flight. Maybe I'll write a review from 35,000 feet on that fancy pants wifi they have on planes now.

I haven't played with the GPS at all yet. I'll get on that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Coming at you live from 36,000 somewhere above Tornado Alley :toot:

The GPS system is ready to roll right out of the box. You can update information from your computer but it doesn't seem necessary. It actually will give you your coordinates right from the camera, and even includes a tiny digital compass at the bottom of the screen. Very cool. I didn't leave it on too long so I can't tell you yet how much a toll it takes on the battery.

Screen is plenty bright and I had no problems in the sun.

There are seriously something like 30 shooting modes and filters on this thing. Basic AUTO, P, Sports, Low Light, and a couple custom settings are nice, then poo poo gets crazy. Under the "SCN" section on the dial, you're presented with the following modes. All come with basic descriptions and you need to hear some of them. They're hilarious:

Portrait, Beauty ("Brings your subjects to life to create dynamic portrait pictures", I have no idea), Landscape, Night Scene, Night Portrait, Indoor, Candle, Self Portrait ("Lets you take a picture of yourself while holding the camera", I swear to god that's what it says :psyduck:) Sunset, Fireworks, Cuisine ("For still life photography. Vividly reproduces colors of fruit, vegetables, flowers, etc."), Documents, Beach & Snow, Underwater Snapshot, Underwater Wide 1, Underwater Wide 2, Underwater Macro, Pet Mode - Cat ("Camera automatically takes a picture when a cat's face is detected. I tested this on Winston and holy poo poo it works really well), Pet Mode - Dog (same thing as cat, haven't tested it), Snow, Panorama, 3D Photo ("Pictures to display on a 3D TV or monitor", HDR.

Then, because that's not nutty enough, there is the "Magic" setting on the dial. These are the crazy art filters that Olympus seems to enjoy. Pop Art, Pin Hole, Fisheye, Drawing (takes 2 photos, one standard, one in this really neat B&W 'sketch', I'll post an example), Soft Focus, Punk (black image on pink background), Sparkle (adds a cross flare on any light source), Watercolor (loving LSD mode or something holy poo poo), Reflection, Miniature (sort of a tilt-shift), Fragmented, and Dramatic (basically HDR). A lot of these can be used in video as well, which is a fun time. I do miss the "Grainy Film" filter that the DSLRs run though. That was cool.

I probably won't use a lot of the filters but some of them are pretty cool, I have to admit. One minor annoyance, they automatically set the flash back to Auto every time you move between one of these modes. It stays off on Program, so at least I can default back to that.

I-AUTO so far has done a great job of recognizing what you're shooting and adjusting to it. Recognizes landscapes very well and usually puts the aperture somewhere between f/8 and f/13. In most lower light and portraits it will automatically default to f/2.0 or f/2.8. When you move to the W/B section of Program or a Custom setting, it actually scrolls through a series of mini preview windows at the bottom of the screen, showing you what each setting would see. Very neat. There are two CWB settings you can use as well.

Zoom is a little slow, which is probably to be expected since everything's contained in the body, and nothing telescopes out. There is digital zoom beyond 4x and it actually doesn't deteriorate quality by much. Neat.

Buttons are all laid out well. The mode wheel is a little difficult to change with wet hands but not annoyingly so. Battery life seems pretty solid. Took about 100 pictures yesterday, maybe 30 with flash, and 2 videos of about 30 seconds each. Battery seemed to be at about 2/3 capacity afterwards. That seems fine by me.

EXAMPLE PHOTOS. All of these are straight out of the camera, no crop.

Cat Mode :catdrugs: It would fire any time Winston would look at it. Very cool.

Reflection

Dramatic. This was taken right after the previous one. Apparently I grew one hell of a goatee in those 15 seconds.

Fragmented. I have to say this is a hell of a lot of fun.

Punk.

"Drawing" took this picture:

and turned it into this:

Landscape.

I'll try to get some underwater shots when I can.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

There's something wrong when the special effects that are thrown in for free on a P&S are more imaginative than the ones included in the hugely expensive Photoshop.

Ordinarily I look past things like these but I have to say I'm really enjoying a lot of them. Sadly you can't run video on "Fragmented" because that would be trippy as hell. "Drawing" is fantastic when you have something pretty high-contrast. Even "Mirror" is worth some laughs.

They're probably not anything i'm going to use for serious pictures, but for dicking around and having some fun, they're great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pudgygiant posted:

How's the ELPH 300? Girlfriend wants something for our upcoming vacation. Requirements are ~$200, very portable, user friendly, no glaring flaws. She's running a half-marathon so decent sports photography performance would be a big plus. Don't really care about ultra-low-light performance or extreme zoom or anything like that. She basically wants something that performs as well as my phone, but isn't my phone, so she has an excuse to spend money.

What exactly is she looking for in terms of "sports performance"? Most of the time, when you want to shoot sports, you need a long and bright lens. Most P&S cameras are weaker on the long end of their zoom. If you just want shots as people take off from the marathon and such, it might be OK.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I put the Tough TG-1 through its paces at the lake with my girlfriend. Sealing lives up to its bidding, and I'm really surprised at how bright underwater shots can be without any help from the flash, even on a cloudy day. I'll have some examples up soon.

Two problems have come up so far that bear mentioning:

1: There is a program mode, but you can't set the focus point, and you can't manually set the aperture. It's usually fine for the most part but to be able to set it myself sometimes would be nice. That said, it seems clear this is still meant for more quick and fun shots rather than full manual P&S cameras like a G12 or S100. The focus point it chooses can be a little weird every so often.

2: The strap is incredibly strong, no denying that. The loop is huge and would easily allow you to get it on while wearing gloves, but one pretty big problem in this matter: You can't tighten the loop. I had a death grip on that camera when I was in the water. This seems like a pretty glaring oversight. I'd like to have that loop closed up snug against my wrist when I'm out in the middle of the lake.

E: Oh by the way, that "Beauty" mode I hadn't figured out? Turns out it's basically its own photoshop in camera. It smooths the poo poo out of your skin to where honestly you look like a wax figure, then from there you can get nuts with the picture. Skin tone, eye color, eye and mouth size, lipstick color, teeth whitening, it's insane. And yes, maxing everything out leads to hilarious results. You can drat near make someone look like the pictures from that "crazy doll lady" that tried to sue Lowtax years ago.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 6, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MSRP on the Oly Tough TG-1 has dropped to $369. I'd imagine you can find it for cheaper if you poke around. I have loved the poo poo out of mine so far.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Azzip posted:

Also hoping underwater housings not overly assrape expensive.

If you mean the clear plastic cases, they all are. What are you looking to do?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Azzip posted:

I mean above the standard expensive :derp:

I'll want the camera to come scuba diving with me, so the housing needs to be rated to at least 40 metres (though all the decent photo opportunities are in the 8-30M range, it'd be nice if it didn't implode should I end up deeper). But I don't need to buy it for a few months yet, so a good chance for the accessories scene to settle and find out if a specific or generic housing will be the better bet.

I keep an eye on them for shits and giggles and honestly I don't think they've ever really dropped. I suppose it really depends on the depths like you're saying though. Obviously too you want to pay drat close attention to the quality of the seals.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Dumb question, but in a p&s are ND filters digital and could that be addressed with firmware in the future?

I believe so. The Canon G12 has it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VomitOnLino posted:

No, I don't think so - this is actually a hardware feature.
If you put your ear to the G12 you'll actually hear the ND filter click into place. It is that way with my friends G12 and with my old-rear end G9.

....well holy poo poo. I have learned something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Olympus has announced a new Stylus with a goddamn f/1.8-2.5 lens :staredog:

E: And from their facebook, RE: Flashes:

quote:

FL-50R, FL-36R, FL-300R, FL600R are all compatible with XZ-2.

:woop:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 17, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shadokin posted:

I want to get a camera for my wife this Christmas and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all of the different possibilitiesis the s95 or the 100 capable of taking good motion shots? Main use for it would be taking pictures of our daughter at horse shows where she's running poles and barrels.

Outdoors or indoors? A lot of those indoor barns have god awful lighting and will be tough for any camera to get a good focus.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dahkren posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a camera for my girlfriend for a Christmas present (we're apart over the holidays this year so I'm able to take advantage of some sales).

Basically she has been looking for a rugged point and shoot that is waterproof. I was looking at the Olympus TG820 and the Fujifilm XP170. The reviews I saw for these are kind of mixed to bad though..

Any suggestions on what other cameras I should be looking at? I'm pretty limited by budget.. I'd like to keep it under $250.

A lot of the earlier everything-proof cameras like those two do indeed seal out water and stuff well, but the lenses aren't fantastic. Still, if you just want something fun for the beach or pool, they'll do fine.

The new Oly Tough TG-1 is drat near bombproof and has an awesome f/2.0 lens, but I think it runs around $340 new. It's worth looking for a used or refurbished one though. Still, I absolutely love mine and for dicking around at the lake and such it's a blast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dahkren posted:

Edit: Hey DJExile, does your TG-1 have the 'ticking' problem I've been reading about during video filming? (http://youtu.be/jTEQZoTMX8o)

Wow, no I've never heard that. That's nuts. :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My parents have a pretty basic P&S and they'd like something better for vacations as they're getting towards retirement. Some in-flight magazine showed dad a Sony DSC-RX100, which to me seems like something he'd never use 90% of, and is probably way too expensive for what he wants. Basically he wants something with a decent zoom, simple to control, and average-to-good low light. Basically he's never going to take this thing out of AUTO and there's no need for RAW support. Can someone recommend me a good traveller for him? Pretty much needs the following:

Pocketable - Nothing thick like a G10/12
Simple - Doesn't need any manual controls/dials because he's never going to use them, and he'll get frustrated if he bumps some ring around the dial or near a button and throws things off.
Good screen
Decent-to-good low light
Battery life - Doesn't need to be spectacular, just not awful.

Budget isn't a big concern. He didn't seem bothered by the $650 price for the RX100, but I think he'd quickly realize he would have paid for a ton of extra controls he'll never use.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ok that's reassuring then. Thanks guys!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

The RX100 is completely awesome, but one little note that will be helpful for your father, as a non-photographer: Tell him to reduce the image size in camera to Small. It will still be large enough to print 8x10 photos, but his photos will look better out of the camera, and you won't have him trying to email you pictures that are 10 megabytes apiece, since one thing old people never do, is resize their photos.

edit: Alternatively, you could set him up with an easy but good batch image resizer like FastStone. Use Lanczos 3 as the resizing algorithm.

That's a really good thought, thanks. He usually just gives me the card and tells me to go get prints, but that'd help him out if he wants to email them around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The RX100 just got here and holy poo poo I can see why it's so well-reviewed. This thing is tits on toast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I haven't had a chance to do much with the RX100 yet other than just goof around at my house and point it at my catte. One gripe I do have is having to go through a bunch of menus to change basic poo poo like ISO speed and W/B. Then again, my dad isn't going to care about that so hey.

Also yesterday heard from a friend, "Hey, do you want your G12 back?"

I loaned her that thing like 3 months ago and honestly I totally forgot I even owned it. I don't know what that says about me. :downs:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, in the grand scheme it's a very minor gripe. How's the battery life? Battery itself doesn't seem that large.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

My girlfriend's sister recently had a kid and now she understandably wants a camera after noticing that her Android smartphone takes terrible pictures. We've already established that a DSLR would be a bit too bulky for her, she wants mobility, fast AF (baby pics!) and good IQ. Is the Sony RX100 still king of the hill amongst P&S cameras? I have one myself and I'm very satisfied, but maybe something new has come out in the meantime - or maybe a successor to the RX100 is already on the horizon? Also, she seemed interested in small interchangeable lens cameras as well, which I'm not very knowledgeable about. What would be THE device to recommend from amongst the current MFT/NEX/whatever devices? I'd probably steer her towards either the RX100 (if she's happy with a P&S) or some awesome intercheangeable lens thingy. Good idea or not?

The Olympus OM-D is a fantastic mirrorless system but it is not cheap. Somewhere around $899 for the body. There are recent PEN system bodies that are still very good, however.

The RX100 isn't cheap either but it's a phenomenal P&S. You could lend her yours to see how she likes it before she drops the money. Provided of course, the kid doesn't get a hold of it and think it's a toy :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stew Man Chew posted:

I will be out of the country a lot over the next year and I'm reluctant to drag my DSLR gear around the Andes / East Africa, so I'm looking to pick up a rugged P&S that won't explode if I drop it down a streambed or whatever.

A fellow dorkroomer recommended I grab the Olympus Stylus TG-2 or the Pentax WG-3. Anybody have any experience with these, or even better any sample pictures?

I have the tough TG1 and can post some shots from that when I get home tonight. It bears mentioning that it does not really have any manual controls and does not have RAW support. I don't knower if that's changed on the TG-2. I di know it's built like a brick shithouse though and an f/2.0 lens is amazing to have compared to the very slow lenses other tough cameras had.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dakana posted:

My dear grandmother needs a new camera. She'll be galavanting throughout Europe and is fed up with her current camera's sluggish responsiveness. I was looking through some stuff on B&H for her. It seemed like her main wants were responsiveness, decent telephoto, and a good battery.

This Lumix looked decent; it lists 5 or 2 fps with AF tracking and a mechanical shutter and "light speed AF" whatever that means. It's also 24mm to 480mm 35mm equivalent.

Are there better cameras at a similar price point? I'm thinking she'd like to stay around $250 or below. Something easy to use would be good too.

Give her your pro body :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have a fancy new P&S arriving today. Because I have absolutely no self-control. :gonk: and because I wanted something more pocketable than my G12

oh who am I kidding i am way too pumped about it

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 24, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What defines "reasonably inexpensive"?

E: I ask because there's a pretty big range in P&S prices these days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

My name is DJExile and I am a brand whore

In my defense it wirelessly controls my DSLR flashes and it's a loving f/1.8-2.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

S95's a drat good camera, no denying that, but the XZ-1 fits my hand a bit better, has a much better aperture on the long end (f/2.5 is only theoretically better than f/4.9?), has a better battery, dedicated video button, and will run my flashes through the hotshoe and wirelessly.

Plus I like the goofy art filters and have enjoyed how Oly shots JPEGs because I'm lazy sometimes a lot of times.

S95 is definitely more pocketable, and they have good IS, but I wanted a little more control over DOF and I don't do much low-light shooting anyway.

• Locked thread