Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wa27 posted:

I've been enjoying my XZ-1, but I got it when Amazon was selling them for $200 last year and I'm not sure I could have got anything better for that price.

Yeah I got mine refurbished for $215, so I really can't argue. Plus the XZ-2 is like twice that, if not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Haggins posted:

I'm currently without a good point and shoot and I'm thinking about getting a Canon g1x. Since I've been serious about photography, my past P&Ss have been the Canon G9 and the S90. I liked the G9 a lot but I felt the sensor wasn't up to where I'd like it to be so I upgraded it to a s90. I really liked the S90 for what it was (pocketable) but I started to miss the real camera feel of the G9 and I decided that I don't really like composing shots off an LCD. The s90 ended up getting broke a couple years ago and I haven't had a chance to replace it.

So now I'm in the market for a new point and shoot and I did a little soul searching. First off, I thought about why I need one. I need one for times when I'm out and about and my primary mission isn't photography. Carrying DSLR gear around isn't a big deal to me but I've been finding it becomes a liability when I'm out and about doing fun stuff with friends and family. I want good quality photos, a viewfinder/real camera feel, and I don't care about being able to shove the camera in my pocket.

I got to thinking that the perfect camera would be a x100s {b]if[/b] it had a zoom lens. I like everything about the camera except for the fixed focal length. Ruling that out, there is the fuji x20 which I think is pretty cool. I think the manual control zoom is great, however, the small sensor is a deal killer for me. The Sony Rx100 seems great for what it is, but I really do want more physical buttons and a view finder.

That leaves me with the g1x. The size is fine by me and I like the Canon layout. I think it'd be the perfect camera if it had the hybrid viewfinder of the x100s and the manual zoom of the x20.

I have a G12 I've been looking to sell if you're interested. :shobon: I needed something more pocketable but it always shot well for me and the battery life is amazing. Granted, the battery itself is massive for a P&S.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung cameras? I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S 16.3MP 21x Optical Zoom & can't decide if it's just a great gimmick for people such as myself who are going to use it to travel [Cuba] and for concert photography. I also have been wondering WHEN the new models get released because the way this has been out of stock where I live makes me suspect that I'm at the end of a product cycle.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...c/10248840.aspx

side note - I have a Luminx I'm happy with, I think its just the huge picture screen which first caught my eye.

For concerts you're going to want a good DSLR or mirrorless with a pretty large aperture (at least f/2.8) because lighting is going to give you hell. If you're talking just basic stuff where you're attending a concert as a spectator, I'd just enjoy the concert. I can't think of one amateur video of a concert that's ever turned out really well without having sound be fuzzy, focus go nuts, etc.

For travel, a good zoom range is nice to have but the Samsungs are pretty unknown at this point and there are tons of proven P&S cameras out there for just about any budget.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

The s100 had GPS,

It does bear mentioning that if you like GPS tagging, it can really hammer a battery. Then again this was at least the case with some of the first few cameras that had it. Maybe it's better nowadays.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

What's a cheap, sturdy point-and-shoot that can survive a toddler? My two year old keeps wanting to take pictures with daddy's camera, which is giving daddy heart attacks. I'm guessing something like a prior-generation Olympus Tough might work?

Yeah the old toughs are kidproof.

They gave a bunch to some school kids and let them beat the poo poo out of them

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure the older Olympus Tough models can use radio triggers and your kids can beat them to kingdom come.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Turds in magma posted:

This is the second time i've seen a reference to the "older" tough models. Is there something wrong with the tg-2?
I was considering getting this, because i take a lot of shots while I'm biking/skiing. But would I be better off just getting a cannon s100 and trying to take good care of it?

Not a drat thing but he wanted to keep the budget down, from the looks of his post. I have a TG-1 myself and I love it, but it's not exactly inexpensive.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have an Oly XZ-1 and have loved it to take along on business trips when I want to get a few quick shots in if possible. It's f/2.5 on the long end, which is awesome as hell in helping keep shutter speeds up. I believe the XZ-2 is the same.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holistic Detective posted:

And how is it for portability? One of the main things drawing me towards the RX100 is the fact that it's pocketable but the fact that it's 4.9 at the long end compared with 2.5 and 2.8 on the XZ-2 and X20 is definitely a concern.

It'll fit any coat pocket fine. Pants pockets are usually good too but a bit tight sometimes. The lens is so big it requires a cap.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah you're kinda asking the world there for $200. Cameras with lots of zoom usually don't have good apertures. Concerts are usually in "don't bother" territory for every P&S I can think of. Used or refurb s100 would serve you pretty well though, and a tripod to stabilize it to zoom in on your models.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Just got an S110 for my sister for Christmas. Does the battery life improve much from the S90/100? I heard that was a bit of a problem, but maybe it was overblown.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nrr posted:

What can you guys tell me about the Nikon S1?

They look neat but I don't think there are any decent lenses for that system.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nrr posted:

What's non decent about them?

Aside from like 2 primes, the whole list is made up almost entirely of varying lengths of slow kit lenses.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I loaned my S95 to a friend for her New Years trip, and she keeps getting the message 'Wrong flash position: please restart the camera"

What exactly does that mean?

Means you should put it in the right position :colbert:

Honestly no idea though. I assume she's turned it on/off, and popped out the battery for a bit?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I had a G12 myself too. Battery life was outstanding (Granted, it's a huge battery) and ergonomics were nice. The viewfinder was basically an afterthought but maybe that's been improved. Having a tilt/swivel screen was fantastic. It wasn't really pocketable except for jackets/coats but if that's not a concern then I'd say it's worth looking at.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

powderific posted:

You don't have to change lenses on an interchangeable lens camera. I'm sure the G1X would be more compact overall, but I feel like it might be worth at least considering a mirrorless system camera. There's so much good stuff out there right now and the G1x has some limitations that I think would be annoying. The lens is slow at the long end, the AF is slow compared to M4/3 stuff and the RX100, it's missing some features that you'd get on even lower end cameras like panorama and decent video modes. It doesn't get much love here because it's probably not a good choice for most people—for most P&S needs the RX100 is a far, far better camera. That said, I don't think the G1x is a bad camera by any means. It's just kindof niche and isn't a good fit for most people. Maybe you're the person who it'll be perfect for.

This is a good point. The G1n series are good cameras, for the most part, they're just strange cameras depending on the role you want them to fill. I had a hard time figuring out where exactly to use mine. I took it on a couple trips with me and it took good images (having two wheels is very helpful, and pretty rare to find with a P&S), but I kept finding that I could have just had my DSLR or a more portable P&S that would have been maybe a little difficult to use in a manual mode, but was easier to carry around. It did also have a pretty solid burst mode too. I eventually sold it to a friend and got that crazy bright Olympus with the f/1.8 lens. I forget the model offhand :effort:.

Again, it's still a very good camera and I was happy with the images I got from it, but you'll just want to make sure it's what you want. If you have some wireless triggers/flashes you want to use with it, go to town. It is very easy to use in full manual with the two dials, and the battery lasts drat near forever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have the TG-1 myself and yeah if you want customization, you're far better suited with either of those other two. The TG-1 is a niche camera but it's a hell of a niche camera. I'd still hold onto it if you want something as a fun goof-around camera at the beach or in the snow or something. I took mine snorkeling in Barbuda last year and it was phenomenal. Very rare that you find a waterproof P&S with a good lens.

That all being said, both the S120 and RX100 will give you RAW support, and much more manual control. If you want a pocketable, customizable P&S, you're going to do great with either of those.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the RX100 is crazy nice but it's a lot of money.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Not for nothing but does the iPhone have the juice to clean up RAW files without slowing the phone down to a crawl and basically destroying the already mediocre battery in the process?

Or is this more just a "shoot RAW, then clean them up later on the computer" thing?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'll be damned, those aren't bad.

Editing a cell phone picture that far is a bit more than I'd want to do but I guess if you really want to do it, go nuts. I'd imagine sensors will improve more and more in the next few years though and make it a more viable option.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chernori posted:

I finally got my RX100!

It's so much better in low light compared to my TG1. It's really an amazing difference, especially when it comes to colour reproduction.

I'm afraid of accidentally smashing the new camera though: all the little doors guarding the ports and the flash seem extremely flimsy. I've been keeping my TG1 in my pants pocket, clipped to my belt loop, but I don't know if the RX100 would stand up to that kind of treatment. I'm worried about bumping into a table and crushing it. Am I being overly paranoid?

The TG-1 is built like a brick shithouse but high end P&S cameras like the RX100 and others aren't exactly flimsy. If you're really worried about it you could always get a really basic padded case with a belt loop. I've had an Oly XZ-1 for a while and its taken a few bumps in my pocket without an issue. Yeah, the door's a bit flimsier than the TG-1 doors, but it 'locks' pretty securely and flush to the body so it's not really a concern.

I definitely get being worried about busting it, the RX100 is a really nice (and expensive) camera, but a few bumps aren't going to harm the thing. Keep it in a pouch or pocket, and make sure you're using the wrist strap when you shoot with it, and you'll be fine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chernori posted:

I'm not an expert of photography, but I'm pretty sure that's true for most lenses that zoom. I think the f-stop number is a combination of the focal length and the aperture: as the lens zooms, it changes the focal length while the aperture remains constant. The result is that the lowest f-stops aren't available when you've zoomed in, even though your aperture is still wide open.

This is exactly right. A P&S with a constant aperture across its zoom range wouldn't be feasible in any way. The glass would either be enormous or terrible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grack posted:

Fuji X10/X20

The camera itself is rather large, but not because of the lens.

Doesn't the aperture still drop to f/2.8 on the long end though?

E: I mean yeah it's not crazy far or anything but it does still drop.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sterf posted:

I need a compact pocketsized camera that can shoot in RAW and work decently in low-light. I know I can't expect miracles for low light but I was wondering which are the ones that can handle it the best?

And I really prefer viewfinders, but reading reviews it seems most are pretty crappy anyway so I'm not sure about that anymore.

Something like the Lumix DMC-TZ60 would be a great form factor, but seems like the viewfinder is crap (though I guess I can do without) and an aperture of 3.3 looks not that great for low-light?
I used to have a Lumix LX1 and while I liked having something portable, it was pretty crappy in low light. Has it improved significantly in the LX7?

I'm at the point in researching my options where I'm drowning in model numbers and specs :-/

What's your budget and what are you trying to shoot? A small mirrorless body with a fast prime may work.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the RX100 is phenomenal, very good in low light.

E: Grack I laugh at that av every drat time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

From what little I know, they shoot well but battery lives are on the short end.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Underwater cases are crazy expensive everywhere. The bags usually work alright but are more meant for things like hanging around the pool or shooting in rainstorms.

Depending on costs you might be better getting a camera already designed to go underwater like the Oly Tough series or the ones by Fuji and... I think Pentax.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

rawrr posted:

Why isn't there a lot of love for the LX7? I did a search and there's only been a several mentions, almost all in passing. Seems like a good travel camera, especially with the fast lens.

I know the LX8 is rumoured to be released in two weeks, but I'm thinking about picking up the LX7 used for cheap when it does.

DPReview really likes it but they do list these as cons, for what it's worth:

quote:

Aperture ring cannot be customised, unlike similar controls on competitive cameras
Redeye a problem; no removal tool in playback mode
Takes a long time (30+ seconds) for camera to flush the buffer after a burst containing RAW images is taken
Vertical stripes in panoramic images
Very slow lens zooming action
Cheap-feeling rear dial doesn't rotate smoothly; flimsy door over battery/memory card compartment
Full manual on CD-ROM (it's not very user-friendly, either)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The long zooms are typically awful in low light, except maybe on the short end. Where are you traveling and what do you like to shoot? In most of my travels I find myself sticking to the wider end of my glass.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

caberham posted:

Super cheesy photos normally just use cropped and magnified pictures :downsrim: Honestly, If you are going to use a zoom in lowlight, that's just screaming for a tripod.

Yeah this right here. Get yourself at least something like a gorillapod to help out. They travel really well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

qirex posted:

I have a gorillapod and one serious problem with it is that pressing the shutter button induces vibration that can ruin long exposures so you either need to use the timer or a remote release.

Wouldn't that be an issue with pretty much any tripod though?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Can anyone recommend a hard case for the RX100 III? I don't care about straps or belt loops or anything as I'll have the camera in my pocket or hand while I'm walking around, but need something for when it's in my backpack when travelling.

If you have any local camping/sports stores, there are water/crush-proof hard cases that are pretty cheap and work great. Many have rubberized interiors so it won't get banged up in there as well.

E: Hell, I've seen a bunch at Walmart and Target, come to think of it.

E2: Things like these

DJExile fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 17, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spoof posted:

What 3rd party brand batteries are you guys buying? Wasabi? Sterlingtek? Ebay special?

It's not a P&S but I run a couple Wasabi batteries in my Olympus OM-D and they've been just fine, especially for the money.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

moana posted:

Hey, my mom is looking for a decent underwater camera for $300ish. Any recommendations? She has a GoPro but says she wants something that's a bit higher picture quality.

The Oly Tough has an f/2.0 on the wide end and has been great for me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RFX posted:

My fiancee wants a point and shoot for our honeymoon. She tried playing with my dad's DSLR for a bit but felt she was never going to fully commit to it, plus doesn't want to have to carry so much while we're traveling this summer. I think the RX100 is the best buy for us, since we'd like to stay under $500. Seeing all the recommendations in this thread has just pushed me towards it more, but I was unclear if people are talking about only the Mk3 of the RX100 or if they're referring to the older ones as well. The only thing that stopped me from buying it already is that it feels weird to buy a product that is technically 3 years old. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy the Mark I or will it still be solid?

Even the Mk1 should still be a fantastic camera for your needs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tell him to just go to the show and enjoy it. Long-reaching P&S cameras almost always blow rear end in low light and concert lighting isn't going to be any better.

E: That guide posted above is good though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the P&S market is drat near completely dead nowadays. Everyone uses their phones.

Krakkles, you're not gonna get great AF in almost any case, especially if you're used to a DSLR.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Low light performance combined with a bunch of zoom on a P&S basically doesn't exist. If you want a point and shoot you're gonna likely have to pick one or the other.

E: what are you trying to shoot? You said zoom on both close and far objects.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Going on vacation next month and I'm looking for a P&S that will do a bit more than my iPhone camera. I have an old Sony that still works great, but it's so old that it needs a dock to connect to a computer, which is too much poo poo to haul across the ocean. Since the OP was last updated in 2011, anyone have recommends? Looking to keep it at a couple hundred bucks or less. I can afford and would love a DSLR, but don't want to wrangle lenses and all that a DSLR entails.

$200 should get you a used/refurb S110 pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Thanks. Found a few on Amazon and related items brought this up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RKNNGU...1500475017&sr=1

New, built in wifi transfer and a higher zoom. Assuming since it's Canon it probably won't be poo poo? I like the idea of a newer camera with a warranty but if the S110 is still miles ahead I can get that.

that's a much worse lens in terms of aperture though.

Basically you're going to get more zoom but at the cost of light. Longer zooms usually have mediocre-to-poo poo lenses. The IS is going to help a bit, but you better have really bright daylight around you once you're zoomed any more than halfway with that. All this being said, if you want the warranty and you're just using it for basic 'better than phone' snapshots i'm sure it'll work fine on the whole, I just wouldn't expect mindblowing stuff out of it.

E: We're basically at the point nowadays where digital P&S cameras are almost never used/needed. Everyone on the planet just uses their phone, and any phone made in the last few years is going to suit most peoples' needs as long as they stay on the wide end.

• Locked thread