Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dead Snoopy posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung cameras? I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S 16.3MP 21x Optical Zoom & can't decide if it's just a great gimmick for people such as myself who are going to use it to travel [Cuba] and for concert photography. I also have been wondering WHEN the new models get released because the way this has been out of stock where I live makes me suspect that I'm at the end of a product cycle.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...c/10248840.aspx

side note - I have a Luminx I'm happy with, I think its just the huge picture screen which first caught my eye.

I played with their first gen one and it seems very nice to handle - but the reviews showed pretty poor image quality.

A few months ago, someone gave me a dump of their latest gen smartphone-looking Samsung and they were all pretty underwhelming. That could be user error, though - but the law of averages say that there shoudl have been a least a few good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung cameras? I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S 16.3MP 21x Optical Zoom & can't decide if it's just a great gimmick for people such as myself who are going to use it to travel [Cuba] and for concert photography. I also have been wondering WHEN the new models get released because the way this has been out of stock where I live makes me suspect that I'm at the end of a product cycle.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...c/10248840.aspx

side note - I have a Luminx I'm happy with, I think its just the huge picture screen which first caught my eye.

For concerts you're going to want a good DSLR or mirrorless with a pretty large aperture (at least f/2.8) because lighting is going to give you hell. If you're talking just basic stuff where you're attending a concert as a spectator, I'd just enjoy the concert. I can't think of one amateur video of a concert that's ever turned out really well without having sound be fuzzy, focus go nuts, etc.

For travel, a good zoom range is nice to have but the Samsungs are pretty unknown at this point and there are tons of proven P&S cameras out there for just about any budget.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Costello Jello posted:

The s110 is cheaper because only the smaller shops still have stock of the s100 so they have poorer prices, as its a discontinued model now. So buy the s110 if it is cheaper, it is the same camera with a few added features like GPS.

The s100 had GPS, the main thing that the s110 added was a touchscreen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

The s100 had GPS,

It does bear mentioning that if you like GPS tagging, it can really hammer a battery. Then again this was at least the case with some of the first few cameras that had it. Maybe it's better nowadays.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Just put my RX100 up for sale and ordered a Ricoh GR. Pumped :)

Pusscat
Apr 1, 2005

What's new, Pusscat?
Apologies if this isn't the right thread - if not, please point me in the right direction?

Does anyone here have the Panasonic TZ40/ZS30?

I just bought one a few hours ago to replace my old TZ8 and I cannot work out how to get it to stop beeping. I have specifically bought this for travel photography - mostly wildlife and I need to get it to run silently to avoid pissing off not only me, other travellers but most importantly the wildlife.

Any ideas?

I have gone into set-up, "set the beep volume" and changed it to "Off" - but it is still beeping every time I hold down the shutter to focus/take a photo. Can't find anything obvious on google to fix it. I just want to completely shut off all sound effects.

(Less importantly but still annoying, I can't work out how to get it to focus when it's zoomed in, i.e text on a newspaper - it focuses for a second then takes a photo that just shows a blur.)

Thanks!

EDIT: I've answered my own question. Finally found a user manual online (not on their UK website). In case anyone else has the same problem, you have to go into Playback mode, which then - bizarrely - has a much more extensive set-up menu, which includes Shutter sounds. Very odd place to put it. I'll keep reading to see if I can find out what's causing lack of focus when zoomed in, but if anyone knows an easy answer I'd be grateful to hear it!

Pusscat fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 20, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

What's a cheap, sturdy point-and-shoot that can survive a toddler? My two year old keeps wanting to take pictures with daddy's camera, which is giving daddy heart attacks. I'm guessing something like a prior-generation Olympus Tough might work?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bob Socko posted:

What's a cheap, sturdy point-and-shoot that can survive a toddler? My two year old keeps wanting to take pictures with daddy's camera, which is giving daddy heart attacks. I'm guessing something like a prior-generation Olympus Tough might work?

http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-Digital-Camera-Preview-25056/dp/B005F5HTMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374670779&sr=8-1&keywords=nerf+camera ?

e. buying a used tough of some kind off of ebay or keh really wouldn't cost much more than that though. Either way be careful that the kid doesn't open the battery door and eat the memory card or something.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 24, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Yeah the old toughs are kidproof.

They gave a bunch to some school kids and let them beat the poo poo out of them

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
My two toddlers mess around with my old tough and it does fine.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I found an old Kodak p&s at goodwill and gave it to my kid. I actually really like the look it gives...like a digital film disposable. (f4.5 lens, flash, 2mp)

Mightaswell fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 25, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Mightaswell posted:

I found and old Kodak p&s at goodwill and gave it to my kid. I actually really like the look it gives...like a digital film disposable. (f4.5 lens, flash, 2mp)

I have a camera like this laying around too. $2, works fine. even came with an SD card!

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Yeah, the Goodwill point-and-shoot might be the best idea. I'd hate to spend $100ish on something she might not even use. Better to spend that on toys or something.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Don't ever buy them cameras. Just buy them books instead. Maybe something like this so they don't turn out like us.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Just purchased a used S100 today. Last non-phone camera I had was a Powershot A400 from like 2005 (with a WHOPPING 16! MB of memory). It's funny that I remember asking for that camera when I wanted to get into photography as a youngin' and being put off since it didn't look or work like I expected. Now, I'm just really tired of taking crappy, blurry, cellphone pictures and now I'm looking forward to at least being able to pretend like I'm Peter Parker. Who knows, maybe I'll even enjoy going outside now!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Before I really got into photography, I used to think that If I wanted to get serious about it, I had to get an SLR. Now that I know better, I know that's just not true.

A S100 is great starting point if you want to take a deep dive into the photography world. It gives you a lot of control and there is a lot you can do with it. The best part is that you don't have to deal with expensive lenses/gear while you're learning.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Before I really got into photography, I used to think that If I wanted to get serious about it, I had to get an SLR. Now that I know better, I know that's just not true.

A S100 is great starting point if you want to take a deep dive into the photography world. It gives you a lot of control and there is a lot you can do with it. The best part is that you don't have to deal with expensive lenses/gear while you're learning.

I've taken some drat fine pictures on the S90 I picked up six months ago for a hundred bucks. And now that I'm shopping for a SLR, I can do so with a much greater understanding of what I actually want and need.

Plus, if it turned out I hated it and just taking iPhone pics suited me, I was out $100 and not $700 on whatever I ended up getting from Target.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Shameless cross-post - if you're looking for an RX100, mine is posted here in the buy-sell thread.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Bob Socko posted:

Shameless cross-post - if you're looking for an RX100, mine is posted here in the buy-sell thread.

This is a good camera. Someone buy this camera.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I need a camera for indoor photography of clothing. I have a reasonably well lit area, couple of soft boxes plus I replaced the lights in the room with full spectrum bulbs. I have been using my iphone 4S which isn't that bad most of the time but it doesn't take pictures of darker fabrics very well, you can't see the textures.
I'm usually wearing the clothes I am trying to photograph so I need a camera that I guess can autofocus on it's own fairly well with a timer.

Is the Canon S100 the way to go? Or is there something else that would work better? I don't have a set in stone budget, since it's for a business if I need to save up for something that will work properly I'll do that.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Queen Elizatits posted:

I need a camera for indoor photography of clothing. I have a reasonably well lit area, couple of soft boxes plus I replaced the lights in the room with full spectrum bulbs. I have been using my iphone 4S which isn't that bad most of the time but it doesn't take pictures of darker fabrics very well, you can't see the textures.
I'm usually wearing the clothes I am trying to photograph so I need a camera that I guess can autofocus on it's own fairly well with a timer.

Is the Canon S100 the way to go? Or is there something else that would work better? I don't have a set in stone budget, since it's for a business if I need to save up for something that will work properly I'll do that.

What you need is control; with the camera and with the lights. A camera with manual controls (like the S100) is a good start, but I think you need some strobes too. I'd suggest looking at point and shoots with a hotshoe, such as a Canon G series or maybe a RX100 II. Seeing the textures and what not is going to be more about how you light your subject than the camera you're using. I'm no expert when it comes to product photography, but for example if you have something with a lot of "3D" texture, like say a knit sweater, if you side light it, the texture is gonna pop out more. Things like that are the reason why you need to be able to finely control your light.

As for strobes, you'll probably want to head over to the lighting thread and do some asking around there. However, for a ball park, you could probably get a barebones set with a manual flash, some grip gear and modifiers for $150, maybe less.

Since this is for your business, and I'm sure you want to present your products as best as you possibly can, I'd highly recommend buying Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting. It's good for all photographers but it's heavily weighted towards product photography (which is good for you). It covers just about everything you'd ever need to know on the subject.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Just cause the OP is over year old I figured I'd check. I'm looking for a cheap P&S ($100-150), as I don't have time just yet to get into how to actually shoot well, and just want to have something handy for practice that is also high quality. Should I just get an S90 on ebay?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

yellowjournalism posted:

Just cause the OP is over year old I figured I'd check. I'm looking for a cheap P&S ($100-150), as I don't have time just yet to get into how to actually shoot well, and just want to have something handy for practice that is also high quality. Should I just get an S90 on ebay?

That's exactly what I did and for the exact same reasons, and my little S90 hasn't failed me a bit.

The only downside is I had my copy of Understanding Exposure a week later, and 6 months out I'm researching the best way to spend <$300 on a DSLR setup.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

yellowjournalism posted:

Yeah, s90 is still a great camera.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
What about the S110? I see lots selling for less than $150 on ebay. (often covered in scratches but the sellers claim they haven't been dropped..)

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, any of the S series (95, 95, 100, 110) are great. S90 was the first in the modern S line and the 110 is the most current and best.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
My Canon PowerShot Elph 330 has a speck of some sort UNDER the lens. Is there anything I can do to get it out? The speck shows up as a translucent splotch if I point it directly at a light.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow, Sony is going to make a "lens camera" out of RX100's lens and sensor. Clip on and clip off from your phone.

This is the new watermark of creep shot camera. :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Wow, Sony is going to make a "lens camera" out of RX100's lens and sensor. Clip on and clip off from your phone.

I like the concept ok but that's way too big and the ergonomics look super-awkward

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Anybody have experience with Canon out-of-warranty water damage repairs for a S95? Their estimate puts it at $169, but I'm afraid the cost will increase once it gets there, and at that point I should probably just buy a new one, right?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

You can find a used s100 for around 200 bucks on amazon right now, and a used s95 off of amazon for 150 (assuming your old charger still works).

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

You can find a used s100 for around 200 bucks on amazon right now, and a used s95 off of amazon for 150 (assuming your old charger still works).

Yeah, that's probably the way to go. Thanks!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

whatever7 posted:

I hate it. About the same size as carrying both a smartphone and an RX100, except really awkward.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

I hate it. About the same size as carrying both a smartphone and an RX100, except really awkward.

I am more interested in the phone itself, it has a 1/2.3" sensor. It should have better IQ than all andrpid phones and probably new iPhone too.

As for the lens itself... I can use the money on a Ricoh GR or used black x100.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

I dropped my camera into the sea and need a new one. I'm pretty excited to see that retro styled digital cameras are a thing now (I love old cameras but am too attached to the conveniences of digital photography to make the switch), but I was wondering if any of them are actually good cameras. Is the Fuji X10 still worth using for somebody who really can't afford an X100, or should I wait for the X20 to drop in price a bit? I also liked the look of the Pentax MX-1 but the tiny sensor puts me off, and it's going for the same price as the X10 right now.

My upper limit is $500 and I need a new camera like, yesterday. Please help!

pomegranates fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 19, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think the x10's sensor is much bigger/better than the pentax MX-1's. Also the MX-1 has real brass, for that retro brassing look. Everything I've read has said that they're both very solid camers (although not as good as say, a $500 dollar epl-5, which is still sorta retro but would blow them away as far as performance goes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's mildly depressing how much better current Olympus stuff is from what was based on the e-p1's sensor. I've mentioned it before, but I've used my e-pl2 once or twice since getting the RX100 near release.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Haggins posted:

What you need is control; with the camera and with the lights. A camera with manual controls (like the S100) is a good start, but I think you need some strobes too. I'd suggest looking at point and shoots with a hotshoe, such as a Canon G series or maybe a RX100 II. Seeing the textures and what not is going to be more about how you light your subject than the camera you're using. I'm no expert when it comes to product photography, but for example if you have something with a lot of "3D" texture, like say a knit sweater, if you side light it, the texture is gonna pop out more. Things like that are the reason why you need to be able to finely control your light.

As for strobes, you'll probably want to head over to the lighting thread and do some asking around there. However, for a ball park, you could probably get a barebones set with a manual flash, some grip gear and modifiers for $150, maybe less.

Since this is for your business, and I'm sure you want to present your products as best as you possibly can, I'd highly recommend buying Light Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting. It's good for all photographers but it's heavily weighted towards product photography (which is good for you). It covers just about everything you'd ever need to know on the subject.

I just realized I never thanked you for this. It's probably pretty obvious that I don't know much about cameras so information like this is incredibly helpful, thank you! And I will definitely pick up that book.

Just as an example of the problem I'm having both of these pictures the leggings are made from the same fabric and the lights are in the same spots, one on each side.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Queen Elizatits posted:

I just realized I never thanked you for this. It's probably pretty obvious that I don't know much about cameras so information like this is incredibly helpful, thank you! And I will definitely pick up that book.

Just as an example of the problem I'm having both of these pictures the leggings are made from the same fabric and the lights are in the same spots, one on each side.

I can see why this is driving you nuts, a shot like that can be tricky. The problem is the camera doesn't know what to expose correctly. Is it going to choose the black dress, your skin, or the white wall? In the first shot, the camera is leaning towards exposing your skin correctly, leaving the dress without details. In the second, it chose to over expose a bit to get the details of your leggings. It's a good example of why you want manual control; so you can choose what details you want. IIRC, I think the book has a guide on shots very similar to the ones you posted.

You might just want to consider jumping head first into this photography thing and go with a SLR and some decent strobes. I think once you start getting the hang of it, you'll be able to pull off some really nice shots. Assuming that's you in the shots, you make a great model, which is a huge advantage. Being your own model allows you to work and learn at your pace and not worry about wasting anyone's time fiddling with the camera. You're also available at a moments notice and never flake out of a shoot.

After awhile of practice, you'll find all this technical stuff is the easy part of photography. The real challenge comes making creative/ interesting shots. For the work you're doing, having an eye for fashion is going to be the most important thing. Unlike the technical parts of photography, something like that isn't easily learned. I'm assuming you do already, which would mean you already have a good grasp on the hard part of this whole thing. Lastly, considering this is going to help your business a ton, I think it's a no brainer.

Going off the top of my head, a good (one that you won't outgrow for a long time) SLR set up would run you around $1500-$2000. This would be an entry level SLR, a lens or two, and a couple alien bee strobes with a bunch of modifiers. If you're interested, I can help you figure out what you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you could get serviceable to very good results for a lot less than that though, especially if decent product shots are the main concern rather than getting into photography as a hobby/profession. The biggest thing to me would be to pick up Light, Science and Magic (as you suggested) and a camera with full manual controls so she can try working with the soft boxes she already has first. The only thing I'd worry about having so as not to outgrow the camera immediately would be a hot shoe or PC sync port. There's a ton of cheap-ish cameras that could fit the bill, and even adding in some battery strobes you could keep it under $1000 very easily. Just a decent camera shouldn't be more than $500.

Queen Elizatits, do you have a mannequin you can put the leggings on? It'd make experimenting once you get ahold of that book a lot easier.

• Locked thread