Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mannequin posted:

My problem with this series is that the dynamic range still kind-of sucks. I am looking for something that won't nuke the highlights and completely burn the shadows. With the SD1200IS the contrasts tend to be somewhat extreme. I'm guessing the best P&S for high-contrast scenes would be the S90 or G11 because of the better sensors and RAW capabilities. Could anyone confirm?

S90 and G11 actually use the same sensor but different controls and lenses. According to Dpreview S90 has less zoom but F/2.0-4.9 (but says F8 in my camera) lenses while the G11 allows you to plug in an external speedlite with more tele.

Even with the S90 the highlights can get blown easily with AV-mode and tuning things down by a 1/3 EV is a common occurrence. I think the potential in these higher end point and shoot is to shoot in RAW and then post process them unlike other Point and shoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Off brand batteries are cheap so go nuts! But li-ion batteries do lose charge in not time during cold weather. When i went skiing, the batteries were losing the charge while going up on the ski lift but magically became full once inside the lodge :smith:

Anyone here have any experience or thoughts on the new leica red dot point and shoots? Apparently, the lens is the same as the panasonic but the sensor is different? Or is it just a load of bs to upsell a red dot?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's a good habit to carry 1 spare battery and 1 spare memory card just in case. I just get screen protectors and if the LCD gets scratched I replace it with another. Modern point and shoots are alot fun and I like the discrete profile. In 3 years time the camera will be obsolete but the good news is that current technology is already very practical. Good af, raw mode, decent out doors ISO. it's the indoors and low light which gets to you, but then a handy plastic tripod will rectify that!

DaNzA posted:

awesome stuff

Cool thanks!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I lost my s90 the other day :( I will go to Australia soon and a point and shoot replacement will be nice. What's out in the market for a P&S? A s95?

Speaking of film P&S, any recommendations to take snap shots of people and landscapes? I think a roll of velvia might be nice but it has been ages since I have handled a film P&S? Heck with film cameras so cheap, I might as well buy both. Use the s95/digital as a party camera and the film as my main. However, I'm not so sure about the lenses in the film point and shoots. I have a friend who recommended a Leica CL but I think that's a bit too expensive.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just got the s95, hopefully won't lose it this time, but I did have a slight buyer's remorse as I played with the Samsung EX 1 afterwards. Very nice UI, bright LCD screen, and a fast 1.8 lens. According to the sales staff though, macro function is limited compared to other p&s.

And I will not get a Rich GR1s anytime soon. It was hard to find and when I did find a few, the camera collector stores were selling from USD 360-514 (2800 - 4000). I did see a beat up Olympus X2A and X4A for USD 130, maybe I need to do more research. Or stop buying things and start reading/looking at more photos/shooting. Premium film point and shoots are very tempting as all the old manual focus lenses have been snapped up by NEX/PEN users.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm photo cursed or something. I lost my s90 and I could not film Angkor Wat and when I buy a s95 and go to SE Asia again with a shiny new 1 month old s95 this happens:suicide: My S95 just broke down with the lens retract error just before I was in Angkor Wat so I could not do any video or snapshots as well. I think I crashed it by trying to do a HDR and switching from HDR mode and video mode back and forth because of slippery fingers. Even after taking out the battery for a while, the camera still crashes and the lens will never retract.

And I found hair line cracks on one of my 77mm filters :smith: Still like the camera but wish I would know where is/ of if the cmos reset button exists.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Understanding exposure, that's the only starter book you need :)

Hey guys, I'm such a klutz and previously lost a s90 in a cab in Thailand, now I lost my s95 going across the US :laffo: Even though I do have a few spare batteries and chargers, I really don't want another s95 as much as I love it.

Any other recommendations to the s95? I take touristy pictures of food, want a second curtain sync for parties or low light, fast light, and good controls for manual. Good video would be great too, as I will be like a travel dad at times and take videos of all sorts of mundane things. And probably heavy processing because I will shoot in RAW + JPG and stick with JPGs most of the time. It seems like the Olympus XZ-1 is a good contender but any other alternatives?

I soooo want to just bite the bullet and get a x100 or a richo GR1s but I need to save money for my Japan trip.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the Sony recommendation! A lost M8 with no insurance, drat. On a brighter note, I found out I actually purchased a loss/damage plan so hopefully I can just go to the police station and file a police report and get reimbursed. *fingers crossed*. I'm sooo tempted to get the Olympus XZ-1 but time to hit the show room and play with them all.

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm actually looking for recommendations as well. The s95 looks awesome but 400 is just alot of money, especially since I'm not that experienced so maybe I don't need all the features? That said, are there better options in the sub 300 range? Or should I just tough it out and get the s95?

One note: I definitely want the camera to fit in my pants pocket if possible. We will be using this camera for a trip to Europe.

Checking out the used section in Amazon wear house there's a new recent Panasonic LX-5 at just 300 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=used

You can start playing with manual controls and enter the gateway of splurging lots of money into photography :suicide:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It seems like I actually bought a lost/damage waiver when I purchased the s95 so I had a $100 store credit. I tried a few higher end point and shoot cameras. The Panasonic LX-5, Olympus XZ-1, Nikon P300.

The LX-5 had a very clunky UI and the lcd menu items were very pixelated circa 2008. Not much of a change compared to the LX-3. Maybe I'm too entrenched into the canon controls but even using full manual mode required 2 different more button presses for each adjustment. I actually don't know much about this camera so if someone else can fill me in that would be great. Tripod thread not centre :(

The Nikon P300 felt like Nikon's interpretation of the S95. UI wise felt like the entry level D3000 but second curtain sync features was lacking and the focus modes so-so. However, full time manual controls was smooth. I didn't get to play around the more detail options like art filters and colour options too much because I was too enamored with the XZ-1. Tripod thread not centre again :(

The XZ-1 is actually a bit bigger than the other cameras, not as big as G12 but comparatively bigger than the other models. It actually comes in with a lens cap and feels like a DSLR interpretation of a mini Fuji X100. It can snugly fit into the back of your jeans pocket but you will definitely will not be sitting down on them where as the canon s95 is small enough to do that.

F1.8 and front wheel to make adjustments to the native mode. Record button has to be held down all the time but I love it for video (only 1080i, but it's good enough for me as I can settle down for 720p). Is 1080p really worth it and manageable for uploading and storage? I guess the question is kind of redundant as some people store their photos RAW and some JPEG. Super macro mode is really nice and can get the camera all the way to the front element of the lens. It has colour modes and other art filters like other camreas but not so sure about the fancier modes such as minature mode or HDR compared to the s95.

My biggest complaint is the cumbersomeness of the flash mode. I do like the manual pop activated pop up flash which is faster than the electronically activated s95 but the integration with the rest of the UI is cumbersome. If I activate macro mode or super macro mode, flash is automatically off even if I focus on normal subjects and people. So I have to switch the auto focus mode each time I take a snap shot of a plate of food and a plate of food and my friends in a restaurant. 2nd curtain sync and ISO mode is also hidden deep within the menu. Club, party, night social events can use a nice 2nd curtain sync easily.

The nice thing I suspect, is that the sensor is actually stronger for higher ISO modes like 800+

The GF3 looked like a fisher price toy but the tap touch screen to focus and take pictures is addictively fun. Size wise is just a few mm bigger than the XZ-1 and combined with the pancake makes it a lot more economically than the x100.

I wish I had more money, or want the next version of x100 to come out and iron out all the x100 problems :smith: Better yet, wish I have enough money to hire a team and build the perfect point and shoot for me.

caberham fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 2, 2011

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys,@12 days after the olympus xz-1 and I got buyers remorse :( It's still a good camera with awesome video, ND filters, panorama and advanced capabilities but as a snap shot travel/party/social camera it's clunkier than the s95.

I think the XZ-1 is like a EPL lite. Size wise it's similar so in my opinion I would have gotten a PEN instead. Not counting the cost of the lens, I would have gotten a used EPL1 kit.

What I really want now is the s100 with better video. It's the jean backpocket size of s95 which@I like the most.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
How much photography experience do you have? Don't buy the camera a week before the trip, it takes a while to to get a good grip on the controls and have all the quirkiness sorted out. Don't be like me, raving about the new toy Olympus XZ-1 and then making GBS threads it on it :smith: For the record charging the s95/s90 series is alot easier than the XZ-1, not stupid proprietary hybrid USB cables.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'm not sure I'd carry the s95 in my pants pocket anyway. Either the S95 or G12 would fit pretty comfortably in a jacket pocket though.

s95 would fit the jean back pocket but it would scratch the LCD screen, that's what replaceable screen protectors are for!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why not just photoshop in some more lens flares? If it's under 200 pounds then a used s90 just reaches that in amazon. Or just get a s100 or whatever and file that as a tax expense.

cbubbles posted:

Initial thought was "damnit, I just got a S95 two months ago", but now I'm just going to wait to see some preview shots to see how low-light performance is. I'm still happy with my S95, don't imagine I'm going to try to sell/upgrade.

If you ever feel down, just think of caberham who drops/lost/buys too much gear and is still a lovely photographer :emo:

2 two months of awesome summer photos! but on paper it looks like the s100 can take down the Olympus XZ-1 offerings. separate record button, built in ND filter! (wish they had IR filter too), zoomable lens during recording, slightly wider lens, higher ISO, smart white balance, etc.

I wonder how it's art filters or panaorama and other modes fare with other cameras? If only there's a seamless integration of the camera wireless capabilities with smart phones allow you to use the s100 to upload facebook pictures/videos or what not with the internet. Something smoother than eyefi.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
um... are you going to be going on a vacation or anything? s100 is 1 month around the corner.

i'm sooo pissssssed that it cant be ready by halloween :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
owned the s90, s95 and the olympus xz-1. Planning to get the s100.

Can't say much about the "inferior image quality" compared to the s95 because i never had my hands on the newer 100 but looking at the ergonomics I would definitely get the 100. It's a fun social camera with the record on/off button feature copied from the xz-1. Which is a big bonus for me. As for deteriorated quality, I have a hunch that it couldn't be that bad and it's more of a social function compact point and shoot camera that can shoot great second curtain sync iso 800 stuff.

If I want serious quality imagery I would bust out the slr + strobe. Or the film camera.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Finally got the s100, huzzah!

Bang for buck the s95 rocks. I like to take video on the fly and do more video, HDR, panorama and gimicky stuff so that's why I wanted to get the s100. And it's a lot more compact than the Olympus XZ-1. And I like the user interface compared to Fuji x100, Panasonic GF2.

The J1 in my eyes is subpar as a mirrorless system because of its price and 2.7x crop factor. Sure you can use Nikon stuff, but 2.7x makes everything a telephoto unless you want to use it as a fancier lens extender with an lcd screen :catdrugs:

Can't tell you much about the x10, guess I will go to the shop and play around with it some more.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

NZAmoeba posted:

Second hand isn't always great if you care about warranties, also ebay isn't a terribly useful site down here, we have a different website down here that's local, but no one is selling that particular camera. In fact I could only find one place in NZ selling that particular camera for NZ$1200.

Well how long does the warranty last in NZ and do you live near a repair centre? If it's 1 or 2 years then it's a personal choice but most cameras can last through the warranty period and then break down. And if you do spend money on the repair, labour will charge you through the roof and by that time might as well get a new consumer point and shoot. Planned obsolescence.

quote:

Meanwhile the S6300 is NZ$300. Also people should probably care about something that costs a few hundred bucks, and you shouldn't be so dismissive in the P&S thread.

The best purchase for you I think is to actually get some books on photography learning composition and exposure.

http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye-Composition-Design-Digital/dp/0240809343

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331200756&sr=1-1

Point and shoots are small potatoes in terms of cost for the photography world, real dick waving and "crazy purchases" for the average tourist would be getting a leica, or God Forbid a digital medium format camera.

The most unfortunate thing is that New Zealand and Australia is horrible for shopping.

quote:

Heck the computer parts buying thread in SH/SC is a lot more reasonable about getting bang for buck, and staying away from buying quad graphics card setups with liquid nitrogen cooling. You could probably learn from that attitude.

In SH/SC, there's always "that guy" from time to time who insists on making the hassle to stick with some old hardware and have a frankenstein machine inorder to get his "value" when he should just save some more money and buy a whole new machine.

If you have a new computer your games will definitely load faster, have nicer graphics but with a new cameras your photos will still look like poo poo if you don't know how to use it properly. With computer parts, you can either play the new generation games or you can't. Whereas with cameras, we are all slaves to the sun and the amount of light available. Newer camera technology pushes the envelop of more "extreme situations", low light, high speed shutter, video, etc but during the day all cameras can take decent pictures. Anyways, I hope you can find something you like and have a nice vacation in Europe. Get whatever you are willing to afford and have fun with it. There's no shame in getting hardware a generation behind.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I'm just playing around with my sister's rx100 and drat it's good.hefty price tag but you can bump the iso all the way,I was playing with 3200 and its better than my s100 or xz1.

Any thoughts from you guys?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are going to Europe and can spend for the RX 100, might as well go all out and get the RX 100 mk 2. The new wifi access and using your smart phone as a remote shutter is awesome. It allows quick sharing with your smart phone and live view too.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just played with the Ricoh GR today. Man it's super sexy. and pricey too.

munchy box posted:

Can any of you fine folk persuade me that the smaller cameras will be fine for my needs, or alternatively that the LM7 is worth the extra bulk in the long run? Please feel free to suggest alternatives - my budget is £300 at an absolute maximum, so no RX100 for me!

Your limit is not your camera budget or gear, but your skill :downsrim: Get a mini tripod, get creative with composition, and expose your shots properly. Wide angle shots are hard, it's not just capture as much as possible or take 60 pictures and auto stitch them. And if you are taking wide angle landscape shots, light should not be that big of a deal so you don't need the cream of the crop.

People have been using lovely cameras for ages but can still take amazing pictures. Not to go all Krock, but point and shoot nowadays are really really good. I'm no photo master, I just spend more money to make up for my lack of skill. I'm sure you will have a blast in South America, keep on snapping!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Flash is terrible for glass wares anyway. It reflects in weird ways and makes these ugly white flash spots. Best investment is just to get a mini tripod to capture as much light as possible without shaking your camera.

If you want to be fancier perhaps try having a secondary light source such as a softer flash light or a cell phone light? Or if your bar table is under lit like your avatar then you can take pictures easily. At your price point I wouldn't really worry about which model to use. As long as you can access macro mode, have a mini tripod you are good to go!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Just get one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Tabletop-Mini-Tripods/ci/391/N/4075788740 and have it permanently attached to your point and shoot.

It only takes a 1/5 to shoot a picture if you bump out the iso. Human hands to to produce blurry shot on anything slower than 1/20 of a second. 1/5 at iso 800 or iso 400 should be more than enough. Just preset everything before, rest the camera 6 inches from the drink, snap a shot and then boom.

or just use a Iphone 5s with evernote food. Amazing camera and It helps you log your drinks as well!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Basically you are hosed. Look into the s100, some premium model 2years old or some trade in or thanksgiving bin left over specials.

Tripods are the best bet. And when you do get a camera with more specific modes read understanding exposure

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tried the iOS/Android for Sony's RX100 Mk 2 wireless photo share. It's clunky, first generation app, but gets the job done and the transfer speed is fine.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nondescript Van posted:

I'd like to get my mom a camera for christmas but i'm limited to around $200-$250. She would mainly use it to take pictures of her mosaic glass art to sell online. This includes close up shots to show just how goddamn sparkly the glass can be (which she loves).

Glass is a pain in the rear end. I don't think cameras itself will actually help. What you need is a tripod, a softbox to diffuse the light, and big rear end light source. Regardless of camera, for her situation a tripod helps a lot more. If she wants to just stick with auto, then perhaps get a few accessories first. Don't waste money on a new camera if the fundamental issues are not solved.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The colour pictures and diagrams help a lot. After reading that book you can shoot manual mode and try out all sorts of funky settings.

Also recommend a gorilla pod. It's not too big and you can stick on all sorts of places.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

Personally, I think things are easier to learn on a DSLR, but don't let only having access to a point and shoot stop anyone.

Yeah echoing what this goon said. Really though, there's all sorts of different photography. What kind of pictures do you like to shoot? There's

Outdoor,
Street,
Night,
Close ups,
Food,
Social,
Lighting,
Fashion,
Art,
Etc...

Some goons here just wanted to take pictures of drinks. Some their kids. Different types requires different techniques. So it really depends on what you are looking for.

One thing is true. Your initial photos look like poo poo and looking back you would feel grossed out by them :eng101:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

whatever7 posted:

If you want to learn photography, get an used SLR and a 35mm/1.8 lens.

Actually I think he should get a Mamimya 645 and just with Velvia :v:

Point and shoots nowadays are pretty drat good. Good weight, fast lens, pretty good sensors if you are not going to blow up your prints. And wifi transfer to phone. Film is fun but it gets kind of messy with developing and scanning and fixing etc.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

whatever7 posted:

If your daddy can afford it, a Leica M6, definitely. It will make you become a good photography 50x faster. Like freezer turning into final form fast.

I can afford a M9. My dad can afford a Leaf.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Technical detail is great, but really worry about this stuff after you have a camera to tinker around (or unless you really like to delve into this territory). Unless you prefocus and take creep shots slice of life photography like Henri Cartier Bresson, I wouldn't beat myself to differentiate minute depth of field levels.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Chernori posted:

Is post processing the RAW files really that important? I sort of think of post processing as a way to perfect an already great photo: I wouldn't think that it would turn an ok photo to a great one. Can it really improve a photo that much?

When you take a picture at a certain angle can use a wider lens or over/under expose, use a color filter then it's already a form of post processing in essence.

Post processing is a huge step. It can definitely turn a bad photo into a decent one. But the time and effort to salvage a photo requires a lot of work. Almost all magazine, studio or commercial work go through some sort of post processing. The question is, is it "natural" or does it look good?

It is another step but it really is a personal preference. I don't think it should be easily dismissed and its traits should be recognized. Don't be krock

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
File write speed is in no way related to skill, so your photos will still suck :downsrim:

If you already have a camera in mind then just go for it. If it sucks you can tell us about it!

The Canon S-series gets touted all the time because people always like to ask the question "HEY GUYS WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET???"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't be like me.

I ruined a s90, lost s100, trashed s110.

I use messenger bag and point and shoot protective holster and my gear still gets ruined.

It's more about how you throw your camera into your bag and how your bag is organized

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I'm looking for a used point and shoot for good stills and good video (better than a cellphone), 720p video minimum, under $100, closer to $50 would be better. My understanding is that most all the Canons have excellent picture and video quality but most are limited to 480p video; and produce huge file sizes. I don't know anything about the Sony cameras. Anything I should look for besides the 8200?

How long are your videos and what lighting conditions in your work shop? If you are on a budget I think any 720p.camera will do, there wouldn't be any glaring result differences.

You are probably off better setting ideal lighting conditions and fix up hugely blown highlights through post.

the night dad posted:

Just got an used S110 for $200. Besides all the fun manual abilities are there any extra neat tricks (the kind that aren't apparent at first) I can pull off with it?
Think you may be able to flash custom firmware and use intervalometers.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Maybe he's taking upskirt pictures so it's easier with a camera phone

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm the reverse, I would recommend the S series for newbies because of its pocket size and fast UI. Regardless, both cameras are great and the greatest limitation is actually the user.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Photography is a pricey hobby. At least it's getting progressively cheaper.

S4 is fine taking outdoor sunny daylight pictures. Or making Facebook uploads/ small prints. Plus you can sync to drop box as well.

If you are price sensitive stick with the s4 for now get the mini tripod. I rather you save for another flash deal.

However battery life is limited and I'm always slightly nervous when other people handle my phone. Either camera app sucks or it's prone to dropping.

When a point and shoot breaks you don't worry about lost contacts,lost emails and other mini computer stuff lost.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you are going to Sandy and humid areas then get one of those casio TOUGH point and shoot. It's a lot hardier and much more reliable.

What you really should get is a good tripod. Remember to keep your horizons level. Seriously, good eye and technique is just as important as gear

rawrr posted:

Heard it's an amazing printer though!

I bought the pro9000 mk2 a while back off eBay. Opened the box, realized I wouldn't have space for it on my desk, and it's been in storage ever since :(

I'm so jealous.

caberham fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 22, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's a solid camera. If you want to take ebay product pictures, then most definitely get some sort of soft box and other lighting set up.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Super cheesy photos normally just use cropped and magnified pictures :downsrim: Honestly, If you are going to use a zoom in lowlight, that's just screaming for a tripod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Half face portraits is fine. Remember to give your subject a bit of difference in background foreground distance for bokeh

• Locked thread