Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
IMO the Best used P&S cameras in different price ranges, use image quality as priority:

$100 Fuji F200 exr (well I brought mine refub for $100 but the ebay price seem to have gone up) or a F100fd

$150 Panasonic LX3

$230 Get the new LX5 or s95 deal, or a used Sigma DP1

Over $250 I would get a used Sony NEX-3 or Samsung NX100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krakkles posted:

One of my family members is looking to buy a decent camera and I'm thinking I'm going to hook him up on my Canon S95. The question, then, is what should I upgrade to? The S100 isn't compelling to me. I like the Fuji X10 and the Nikon J1 but don't know if it's the way I should go ... suggestions?

Great picture quality and size/pocketability are what's most important to me. I have an SLR for when size isn't an issue, so I guess that's the priority.

If you don't want a S100, there isn't much that can interest you.

Fuji X10, Canon G1X, Sigma DP1x.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I think it was a gold box deal, not sure how often those pop up.

It will pop up again when S110 is announce and S100 is discontinued.

You can consider other options. Fuji F550, Canon G12, whatever the Ricoh 1/1.7" sensor model is. Don't buy the 10mp models, they all have lovely 1/2.33" sensor.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 15, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For those people who care about premium P&S, the new Nokia 808 seem to be an interesting alternative.

Judging from the photo, I would say the IQ is between a X10 and a Nikon 1. You get more detail in day light but it has less dynamic range all around and can hang with the X10 in high ISO up to 400/800?

It definitely has better sensor than a GRDIII, or any 1/1,7" P&S for that matter. Too bad the smartphone part is unusable. If its available on WP7, or Samsung make something similar on Android, I would definitely consider it. But with Symbian, I will wait until it drop below $200.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Walked posted:

Uh, I'm not. I did make a typo. I DONT want to take my SLR and I'm retarded for typing it how I did. Fixing.

Point is, I dont want to put my SLR getup through that; so I'm looking for a P&S I wont cry if I break and/or can withstand what I'm doing.

All camera and cellphone use the same LiIon battery. There is no magic battery that can last longer in the cold. You are better of carry a spare battery inside your jacket to keep it warm. As for the snow environment, there is nothing too hash for the 60D to handle. If you are worry just get a SLR rain jacket.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NZAmoeba posted:

In mid-April I go on holiday to europe, and I'm wanting a new travel zoom P&S to take with me. Looking at the news a bunch of new cameras are due to be launched really soon in that category.

But my time to buy a new one is running short, and I don't want to grab anything blind. What's considered a reasonable review site when itomes to decent opinions and quick review publication times?

Whats your budget. The best are Fuji X10 and Canon G1X right now.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NZAmoeba posted:

I know, but a travel zoom is what I want, as is spending a lot less money than what those cameras cost. Good Photos for Facebook is my goal here.

Basically I want something that would go in a more modern article than this one: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311TravelZoomGroupTest A lot of the cameras in that review have newer versions released or on the way, and I'd feel like a chump by last generation's model (which is stupid considering my current camera is a 5.1MP Nikon that I'm convinced is bulletproof)

The only thing I will recommend is an used F100fs. The new stuff you are looking at basically use the same riny 1/2.3" sensor, made by the same ODM (Cosina?), with different brand name stamped on them.

I am sure one of them is slightly better, but nobody will waste time to find out. Why bother?

And no, newer stuff is not always better. Sony's 14mp 1/1.7" sensor was worse than its older 12mp 1/1.7" sensor

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 7, 2012

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NZAmoeba posted:

That's not exactly a pocketable camera, also it's 4 times my budget.

All I want to know is what sedan is better, please stop advising me to buy a sports car second hand. :iiaca:

And that 'new is not always better' part is why I want to find a review site with a quick turnaround so that the reputation of the previous generation isn't my only reference point.

First of all, s100fs is $200 used on ebay. That was precisely the reason I suggested it

Second, people really don't care which 8-thousand-dollar shitbox car is the best, at least not in the photography world.

Lastly, the reason I said "newer is not always better" was to suggest you just pick the best camera from that review and buy it. There is very little inventive to buy the newer version.

The newer version may be 3% better for $100 more. You know what, the image quality will still get destroyed by a Nokia 808. Don't waste your energy on P&S.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm looking to pick up an S95 or S100 in the next month or so. I'm not sure the differences between them are particularly important to me, but if I'm going to pay over $350 for the S95, I'd probably just put in the extra $50 or so to get the S100.

But an S95 in the $250 range due to stock clearance would be great. I missed the Amazon deal back in December, but I'm checking Google Shopper every day or so to see if anyone else is doing a clearance deal. And indeed, CameraPromp is having a weekend sale, S95 for $259.

But I've never heard of those folks. Do they look shady? Is it a bad idea?

347 is a New York area cellphone number, that's very scary.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thread title should be updated to RX100 now.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow, Sony is going to make a "lens camera" out of RX100's lens and sensor. Clip on and clip off from your phone.

This is the new watermark of creep shot camera. :3:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

I hate it. About the same size as carrying both a smartphone and an RX100, except really awkward.

I am more interested in the phone itself, it has a 1/2.3" sensor. It should have better IQ than all andrpid phones and probably new iPhone too.

As for the lens itself... I can use the money on a Ricoh GR or used black x100.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can get the XF1 really cheap on ebay, like under 250. It doesn't sell because Fuji doesn't offer a black version. For the money is a non brainer. You can get a s110 S100, but its not a better camera. Unless you want to do time lapse, then s110 is better.

If I am going to spend the RX100 money I would just get the NEX5r kit for 440 on adorama instead.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 1, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hand of luke posted:

Hello,
I'm going to Europe in 2 weeks and unfortunately with all the poo poo I've had to do to get ready for the trip, figuring out what I'm doing about a camera was pushed out until now. I've read great things about the RX-100, and I'd like to have a good camera for after the trip, but I'm not really a photography enthusiast. I'm willing to spend the RX-100 money if I'm going to get a lot of value out of it over the next few years, but I'm worried I'll end up regretting getting such a souped-up point and shoot camera with features I'm not using, or regretting getting it over a similarly-priced entry DSLR for when I'm not traveling out of the country.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm asking, but I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts.

If you worry about the cost so much, get the s110 for about $250, Fuji XF1 for $250, they are about 70% as good as the RX100. Its up tp you to decide if you want to spend that extra $200.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FistEnergy posted:

My wife wants a portable camera that works well in both extremely dark and extremely bright conditions. Basically, concerts. Her Canon SD1200 isn't cutting it. Zoom isn't important, but clear pictures in Auto mode and smaller form factor are.

Is the S100 my best bet, with its larger sensor? I was hoping to find a good solution for closer to $200. Thanks.

Taking good picture in concert ..... taking good picture of moving baby ..... equal expensive camera.

Try the Ricoh GR or Coolpix A.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bob Socko posted:

So the RX10. I guess Sony didn't want to compete with x100(s), so they decided to make the nicest possible bridge camera? I'm curious as to if they can pull off good center sharpness at f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. Still though, I'd really have preferred something like an RX100 with a fixed lens, maybe trade the zoom for a larger sensor.

Fuji has already made a few generations of this kind of expensive "super P&S", from S100fs to XS-1. Both are 2/3" sensor. These kind of stuff doesn't really sell. Thats why Fuji hasn't refreshed the XS-1 in a while.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend it over the cheaper Canon SX50 either.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Walmart has the red Fujifilm XF1 (2/3" sensor 4X zoom) for 199, buy with Discover card on shopdiscover.com get another 10% off.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
W7's lastest official "Best P&S to buy for Dummies 2014"

$200 New XF1
$250 New S110
$300 New LF1
$350 New S120 (on ebay)
$400 New/refub RX100
$550 New RX100 Mark II
$800 New G1 X Mark II

No, don't buy other 30x zoom 50x zoom models.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Haggins posted:

I just bought a couple photography books on my iPad kindle app and it's kind of janky with the photo layout. I don't like buying physical books but I probably won't buy anymore digital photo technique books.

If you just have a P&S, you can't do anything about aperture control anyway. Just read the composition part of the book.

IMO shooting 3000 photos is better than reading a photography book.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

megalodong posted:

If by "aperture control" you mean being able to change the aperture, lots of P&S cameras do that. The S100+ all have aperture priority and manual mode.

For photographers, sure. However, If you really want to learn photography you shouldn't start out with a P&S.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you want to learn photography, get an used SLR and a 35mm/1.8 lens. I guarantee you can find a bundle under 300. Much fast than reading a book and then learn on a P&S.

If you want to enjoy photography as a hobby, just go shoot pictures. You don't need to read a book to enjoy a hobby. Being better at something doesn't make you enjoy a hobby more. There is no correct way to enjoy a hobby.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

powderific posted:

You realize that, for many people, getting better is part of enjoying a hobby? Like, hobby woodworkers want to make a good table that won't fall over instead of just going at a block of wood with some chisels and hoping for the best. Most hobbies involve learning about something, learning how to do it, and then doing it and getting better.

You don't need to read a video game magazine or guide to enjoy playing video game, why do you need to read a book to learn how to enjoy photography? There are a lot of people who like the idea of "getting good at something so my friends will compliment me". A lot of them don't actually love the hobby. My theory is most people who buy beginners for XYZ books enjoy the idea being good at something but deep down inside doesn't care about the hobby that much.

And lastly. If you need to be good at photography because your job/career require it learning on SLR is much faster than on a P&S. Like 10 times faster. That's undisputed fact. I would prefer you learn on a film camera too but film development is kind of expensive nowadays.

caberham posted:

Actually I think he should get a Mamimya 645 and just with Velvia :v:

Point and shoots nowadays are pretty drat good. Good weight, fast lens, pretty good sensors if you are not going to blow up your prints. And wifi transfer to phone. Film is fun but it gets kind of messy with developing and scanning and fixing etc.

If your daddy can afford it, a Leica M6, definitely. It will make you become a good photography 50x faster. Like freezer turning into final form fast.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 20, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chernori posted:

I ended up just buying the Kindle version and went through it on the bus today. I agree with you and I feel I benefited from it. The book ends a bit abruptly, doesn't it? It's chatting about flashes then suddenly it's the index.

I feel like you're right in some ways and wrong in others. I do think I've learned a lot by taking literally thousands of photos over the past year or so. However. I also learned a lot of things just spending a few hours reading Understanding Exposure that could have taken thousands more photos to realize (for example, I had no idea that f2.0 on my TG-1 P&S is equivalent to a much higher f-stop on a DSLR or that the middle f-stops allow a lens to take higher quality photos).

I think a lot of budding photographers buy a camera and take a bunch of photos, then wonder why they didn't come out the way they wanted. Why is my background out of focus? Why are these photos washed out? How come this photo is so blue? I think it's natural for many people to just give up, assuming that they need a better camera for really good photos or they just don't have the talent for it. It can be discouraging to figure out everything by trial and error.

I just want to clarify something. I m not against reading beginners books in general (even though I kind of did in previous posts.) I am just recommend against learning photography and using a P&S at the same time. P&S has a lot of helper wheel features on it that are 1) blackbox operation and 2) just there to make you feel awesome. Ok Sunset mode, WTF does it do? boost contrast? HDR? exposure to the highlight? Nobody knows? So you took a decent picture with that mode, so what did you do? You don't know!

Secondly, vast majority of the P&S are not designed to used outside of the full auto mode. I have used P&S that it only have 2 actual aperture setting, wide open or f/8. All the other aperture was simulated (I think it was a Fuji F20. Yes the advertisement said it has aperture priority and you can control the aperture. But can you really?) Also flash mode, is it front or rear curtain sync? You can't even find out in the manual, you have to shoot something moving to find out yourself. Not only do most of the manual functions not enjoyable to use but also hard to translate to operation on an advance camera. There are only very few P&S control layout designed with photographer in mind, the Canon G series for example.

Basically I think learning photography on a P&S is not enjoyable. It's like instead of learn manual shift on a sportscar, you have to learn stick shift on a truck. It's not fun, its not enjoyable. It will make you think less of the hobby.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
S series is only good buy in the holiday season. Every year there is a window Canon will unleash the remaining stock of the discontinued version for cheap. If you check slickdeals, all major online sites has s110 for 220 around the time after Thanksgiving. Canon did that with S100 in holiday season of 2012 too. This is something you can count on and the window to buy is pretty long.

All that the crazy 160 deals were from Adorama and they sold out very very quickly.

IMO if you can not get a S camera in that time, or in that price range its not the best deal. S series are too famous and they depreciate too slowly on the used market. Its not a good deal to buy new/used in other time of the year.

The Fuji XF1, XQ1 or Pentax MX1 pretty much have the same spec and they depreciate much faster. They are a better option if you are cheap rear end student. Of course the problem is the best performance to price model change every year. Pentax may not even make a follow up of the MX1 next year.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I am looking at cameras like these because I don't have much to spend and I wanted something that wouldn't be as difficult as my iPhone when I'm not in bright sunlight. Is there anything specific in the camera specifications to compare? I'm kind of leaning towards the XF1 because it's a bit cheaper than some of the comparable things, the Pentax looks like it has more physical controls but I think it would be too big to easily carry in my pocket.

Also, is there anything to look out for if I was buying a digital camera used? Amazon has loads of used XF1's that it says are in very good condition for some reason.

Sensor size decide low light performance. S110 120, XF1, XQ1, ME1 all have 1/1.7" - 2/3" sensor, so they all will have very similar low light performance. The RX100 has a 1" sensor, its about 220% larger area, so the low light performance is about 1 stop better. 1 stop difference is what I would call "noticeable to some people but not very obvious."

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

I'm always afraid of the auto-focus motor loving up before any real external damage due to a bump, for any camera.

Thats what happened to my DP1.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buy the rumored Canon G17.

viewfinder
1" sensor

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

"Compact pocketsized" was one of the requirements.

Canon's G-series cameras are many things but compact they are not.

He wants viewfinder. At least is compact-er than G1X Mark II.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Buy a used DSLR and and off camera flash and you'll have a much easier time.

e. mostly the dslr

He probably just need a product light tent kit, a tripod with a "decent" camera. (Of course, any camera with a hhotshoe or flash sync will have to be decent. IMO you probably can do it with a high end P&S)

Also, decent amount of post processing.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 1, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

deadly_pudding posted:

Thanks for the XF1 info! I'll grab a second battery when I place the order.

Get a mini tripod, like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Metal-Tripod-For-Digital-Camera-Sony-Canon-Nikon-NI5L-/400685603413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4ab91a55

Its actually a lot of fun in the evening. I started out my photography hobby with a Fuji F20.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soooo Nikon Rumor says Nikon will make a 83x P&S with a 1" sensor. Yes I double check my math, that's 10 times more zooming power than the Sony's RX10, which is almost as big as a SLR as it is.

Nikon hasn't make a best of the class P&S since what? 8700? What's with all of the sudden the tele power aarm race. They are making a 70-300mm lens for the Nikon 1 too.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

The RX10 has a constant f2.8 aperture lens.

I didn't notice that. I think the smartphones and the success of the RX100 have really thrown a monkey wrench in the high end p&s market. Everybody is coming up with wracky p&s ideas.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It IS from the Nikon1 sensor haha. Nikon continue the path of not sourcing Sony sensor.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
X20 LF1 used S110/120 or used RX100

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SoundMonkey posted:

Should I update the thread title then? :v:

You should give Sony the credit and change title to RX100. It may not hold the title of best P&S for very long.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
An used RX100 is barely 100 more than an used S110.

Ok put this on the title then, "Buy used RX100/S110/X10/XF1/LX5 based on your budget", that pretty much answers 90% of the questions in this thread.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just get a spare battery. Its like $5 on ebay.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

signalnoise posted:

It's not too difficult, but I like to know what the limits are. But that raises a secondary question for me too actually. Would I need a case for every camera I could get in that quality/price range anyway? I don't mind getting a case, but I'd much rather have something that I can pull out and have back in my bag in 20 seconds or less. I don't use my current camera much and that's one of the reasons why- I can't just carry it everywhere and snap away quickly and put it back. If I'm going to need a case for every camera regardless, then I'll get the X20, but if I don't need a case for other cameras in that range I might go with one of those, though I am leaning towards the X20 in a case.

Nobody can possible answer that question no matter how many camera they own. I have owned maybe 10 P&S? I have no idea what the limit is.

get a loose neoprene case if you are extremely lazy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soft-Neopre...=item53fdda5126

If you want to take out the camera fast put it in your jacket pocket not your messenger bag.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 13, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Walked posted:

I'm struggling here. I'm looking for a camera for two things specifically:

1) Relatively cheap for a honeymoon to Italy (e.g. compact but good quality, similarly not going to cry if it gets stolen)
2) Decent for natural light photo shots for etsy (fiancee's request)

I settled on the X10 or X20 for a number of reasons, but cant seem to find any solid thoughts on the value between them. Lots of people seem to think its not worth the price jump, and some suggest the faster AF and better viewfinder overlay are worth it alone.

$250 vs $400 used on KEH.

I'm leaning X10; but I also feel like the extra $150 will be regretted later. Ugh.
I
would get the x20 on the basis thatit has lower chance of breaking down during vacation.

You know you can get a new xm1 with kit lens for 500right? Or an used XA1 with kit lens for 400 on Amazon warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

The kit lens is quite decent but it's a substantial step up in terms of size.

Yeah but you don't want to show your honeymoon pictures to your grand kids in lovely p&s quality anyway.

• Locked thread