Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've just bought an S95 based on the recommendations in this thread. I'm very excited for delivery! :)

I have a question about SD cards. In a camera like this, is it worth springing the extra cash for a class 10 card? Or should I just stick to class 6?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

My S95 turned up today. I ordered it off a Hong Kong camera seller on eBay for £260 shipped, some £~100 cheaper than I could find it anywhere else in the UK. :) So far, so good. I absolutely love the interface.

My only whine is that there's no RAW support for Adobe apps or OS X/Aperture etc. Typically, how long should I expect to wait for RAW support to be rolled out?

Edit: does anyone else find the dial on top really stiff? Does it loosen up after a while or what?

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 30, 2010

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Rukes posted:

Anyone with a S95 able to upload the Mac DPP software 3.9 somewhere? The latest one on the Canon site is still 3.8, which doesn't support the S95...so the musician I'm touring with decided to get a S95 and leave the CD back home while shooting in RAW.

At least in the meantime I can use my Windows laptop with it to convert, but it's gonna be a pain.

Here you go...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/289353/Powershot%20S95%20CD.zip

edit: is it Deadmau5? :worship:

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 7, 2010

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I'm thinking of buying a new camera for my wife, and that PowerShot ELPH 510 HS they've just announced looks like it could be suitable. I'd be interested to see the quality of the LCD, though; I recently tried out my friend's new Powershot, and was horrified by how poo poo the screen was compared to my S95.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I dropped my Powershot S95 at a party and the lens got kinda stuck in the out position. I had to push the lens back in manually so that I could put it away, but now the lens won't come out at all. When I turn the camera on, it makes a pained whiring sound and then says 'lens error, will shut down automatically' on the display.

This thing is way out of warranty, and apparently the going rate for an out-of-warranty repair is $169. I'd really rather not spend that sort of money on a three year old camera. It also seems that this error is common on the S series.

Has anyone had this same problem with a Powershot S camera? If so, has anyone attempted a DIY repair? I suspect it might just be something that's slipped out of place in the lens mechanism, but I'm scared to open the camera up to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

The camera is borked. I've seen that happen to quite a few cameras. They never recover and the repair is more than the cost of the camera. Get in on the Canon Loyalty Program and see what you can get discounts on.

poo poo, that's what I was scared of.

Does anyone know if Canon Canada has a loyalty program? Googling doesn't really give me much info.

• Locked thread