Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I used to work for Dunkin Donuts. To give you a sense of this fine organization, on my first day a fellow employee told me to carefully write down the time I clocked in and out as there would occasionally be "time clock problems" and the manager would try to underpay you. I have a lot of crazy stories from this place but two come to mind right now:

I'm pretty sure the franchise manager was more or less illiterate. I would have felt bad for her except, you know, she kept trying to sneak hours off our paychecks. Everything she wrote was horribly misspelled to the point it was unrecognizable. I think she was trying to phonetically spell things out but couldn't really do it. It took forever to explain to new employees that a croissant is labeled a "crobis" and raisin muffins are "raustlin muffns" so we just started pronouncing things the way they were misspelled. "hey this guy wants his egg sandwich on a crow-biss instead and a Roustlin muffin" Customers must have thought we were insane.

I answered the phone one day and a woman yelled at me:

"I live down the street do you have any new breakfasts?"
"yes we have a egg blah blah blah"
"ANYTHING ELSE??"
"oh uh yes we have a new drink flavor.."
"HURRY UP!!!"
"uh it has this and this and.."
"THAT'S ENOUGH, GOD drat *slam*"

I didn't think of it much, just another rear end in a top hat customer right? But every time an item was added to the menu an incredibly rude person called asking about it. Listening carefully I could hear other people talking in the background like she was in a call center and I realized its actually an inspection by corporate to see if we're knowledgeable about the menu. Its pretty insulting to our intelligence thinking we wouldn't see though that and shows what these companies think of the people who work for them. I don't eat fast food anymore out of principle.

I was eventually able to get out of retail and get a union job with no customers and great benefits, don't give up hope people! Be willing to try anything that isn't retail, its always better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, I know. My family is military. Not one of them lacks stories of total retardation from servicemembers.

But the pay is better, and I'll put up with a lot for financial stability. This casual/part-time bullshit has me slipping further and further into debt and enlistment is the only way out of it I can find.

I feel your pain. Do you have a degree? I'm not in the military but I've heard choosing your MOS carefully when you enlist makes a world of difference. You probably know more about this than I do though.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Baldbeard posted:

Things happen, and people get sick, that's why you call in before your shift -- at the very least right before your shift.

Would she get in trouble for calling in sick right before her shift?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Baldbeard posted:

She showed up so she "came to her shift" and then tried to get me to send her home so it wouldn't be her responsibility for giving us no warning.

It sounds like she would indeed get in trouble for calling in sick.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Oh man, I used to work in a store that was in Massachusetts near the Massachusetts-New Hampshire border. Mass. has sales tax, New Hampshire doesn't. When the sales tax was added I had multiple people insist we were in New Hampshire and think I was either stupid or trying to pull a fast one.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

The Aardvark posted:

Last night someone burned a burrito in the microwave so bad that you could barely see three feet in front of yourself in the breakroom.

Our store that just got remodeled doesn't have working smoke detectors even though there are three in the breakroom and three more in the hallway leading to it. :classiclol:

Your local fire marshal will be fascinated to hear about this.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

I managed to plug together clearly labeled cords and didn't lose my temper at the help desk grunt

And their current staff can't manage that. Seriously, ask them for a full time job or at least try out the consulting gig.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Subway is so abusive of their employees even by retail standards that I won’t eat there. At least that’s the collective experience of a couple dozen people I know. I’ve contrarily heard it just depends on the franchise owner/regional manager and some Subways are great, but that’s true of every big chain fast food place and I’ve heard more horror stories about working at Subway—especially in the realm of chronic, absurd understaffing—than Starbucks and loving McDonald’s combined.

Could just be a small sample fluke of the people I know but I’ve heard enough to just not want to buy anything there. And it’s not like the food is so good that it’s a painful sacrifice to make.

Subway has a super sketchy franchise model. For like a mcdonalds franchise the startup costs are expensive but mcdonalds researches the location and wont let another restaurant open up next door so its a pretty safe investment for the franchisee. Subway is much, much cheaper to franchise but they don't do any of that. Unlike other established franchises they don't require business experience and will accept anyone.

So basically you have a bunch of inexperienced owners making no money and desperate to cut costs.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

Congratulations on getting the gently caress out.

Did you ever try to get a job with that POS company? I don't mean to badger you but from your posts you're like 200% qualified to be a POS installer/administrator. I did it for a while, its not bad and something you can parlay into another IT job.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

MC Hawking posted:

No, because that "POS company" was like 1 guy doing reselling for the credit card processor he works for and afaik he hasn't managed to sell any other units and need my help for installs.

I appreciate you asking though.

I'd apply at other companies then. Iirc you migrated your store database, set up a new system etc. If you put it all in your resume you should have a good shot.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

cephalopods posted:

dang she'd probably have a stroke if she found out some stores stay open 24/7 and do all stocking/cleaning/renovation while still open for business

A 24 hour grocery store near me completely gutted and remodeled without closing. They walled off 1/8 of the store at a time, rebuilt everything, took down the walls and moved to the next section. It was pretty impressive.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Ive worked a register and done POS support. It always surprised me how blasé store management was about payment system outages. In my (limited) experience the culprit was usually their cable/dsl internet connection. The more reliable solution was a vsat link (those big white satellite dishes you see on stores) but those were pricey. Maybe they did the math and decided it was cheaper to have the occasional day of no debit card sales but I suspect they were being penny wise, pound foolish.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I still don't understand the day I had when that system went down, though. We didn't turn anyone away. We just 'ran' the cards and hoped like gently caress that when the system came back up that all the payments processed. I don't actually know if we made any money that day or if we basically spent the day giving poo poo away for free.

I believe that's the game plan for many stores. They figure they'd lose more money long term by inconveniencing customers so they just pretend to swipe the card and eat the loss. My memory's hazy but I believe credit transactions can usually be processed later but debit cannot.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

The Aardvark posted:

H......hhhhow

(Lol any retail software is trash)

I used to install pos systems.

I had a saying: not every POS is a point-of-sale system, but every point-of-sale system is a POS.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

I visited D.C. once and the postal museum guards were the only museum guards packing heat. Huge rear end revolvers none the less.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Earl Wild, a famous pianist once had a job recording background music for some Muzak knockoff back when it was all classical. He was put in a small orchestra with a stack of public domain sheet music and they just played one song after another with no practice or preparation. If they completely butchered it they'd just cut the tape and keep going. For decades afterwards he'd wince when he'd recognize one of his terrible recordings playing on overhead speakers.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Rainbow Knight posted:

all in all I'm excited. we're having an event on Monday that I'm going to try and go to and I'm looking forward to getting winded talking to random passersby about unions and anti- capitalism :woop:

Hell yeah.

KTS posted:

Pay is a slight decrease, but it's worth giving that up for the massive increase in quality of life, having my weekends free and working from home when needed.

I did this and it is 100% worth it. Good luck.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
This is secondhand but its pretty good. I have a friend who worked at a liquor store that was bought by a small tech startup for the liquor license so they could deliver booze.

Part 1: They hired a manager from Target or something to run the store who really bought into the "no matter what, make the customer happy!" religion. My friend had to explain to them stuff like "This customer drove here and is clearly shitfaced! This customer is twelve years old! In this business you have to say no to people."

Part 2: Target manager didn't last and my friend was made the store manager. As they explained to me, running a liquor store isn't rocket science, but there's two crucial things: 1. not selling to twelve year olds and having your license go poof and 2. keeping the beer cooler going. The beer cooler died. Despite being the manager of the entire store, they weren't allowed to call an a/c tech to come fix it, they had to wait for the tech startup to decide what to do. It was broken for two weeks. Their loyal long time customers were incredulous this was happening and assumed (correctly) that the store wasn't going to throw out all the temp sensitive craft beer but just re-cool it and sell it in all of its skunked glory. This was the last straw and my friend quit.

I was just lolling at the idea of this fancy tech startup having meetings debating whether its worth the expense to keep beer cold. From their reputation, its also very possible the company had burned bridges with every refrigeration technician in town.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
In Massachusetts your employer has to pay you for three days. If the trial takes longer then that you're boned, all you get is your employer isn't allowed to fire you. Oh and the court pays you like $40 a day lol.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

we had TEENY BEANIE BABIES in Happy meals.

That "era" must have been awful. I thought consumer frenzies like that died in the 90's but it seems corporations have cracked how to crank up idiots into committing assault over Baby Yoda or whatever.

Cowslips Warren posted:

These days it is almost funny as gently caress to see a huge sign outside the drive-thru, and one inside, stating that customers need to treat the staff with respect, and service can be refused.

At the hospital I visit they used to have a "please be respectful to staff" sign. Its now been replaced with a riot-act "acceptable behavior" list. Notably, no pulling out your phone and filming other patients. And alas I know its necessary as one of my waste-of-oxygen relatives nearly got arrested in an ER. They weren't even the sick one.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Only if we continue to reason from an a priori that the law belongs to lawyers.

Societally there is absolutely no reason it is inherently impossible to make laws governed by intent rather than letter, enforced by judges who say "no, you don't get to exempt your lowest paid workers just by calling them contractors, and no, you don't get to pretend your salary is only $500,000 when you have a bunch of technically non-salary perks worth $15 million. GTFO, you're not allowed to have a management role anymore and your former company owes all the affected workers the money."

It would require a blood-running-like-rivers revolution to get there, of course. But our concept of the rule of law is drowned in technicalities only because it serves the interests of the 0.01%, not because it has to be.

For what its worth, I've read its pretty established by court cases now that, for example McDonald's is legally responsible for what McDonald's restaurants do, even though the relevant McDonald's is owned by some boomer.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
IBM famously used to insist all field service personnel wear a suit and tie at all times. For most futzing with terminals in offices this was fine, but they also had employees who had to wield a monkey wrench in huge industrial printers for utility bills and the like that could easily suck in your tie and strangle you. Maybe these employees could just wear jumpsuits? Nope: clip-on ties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
Do cans/bottles typically survive stuff like that or do you have to write things off?