Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
March 21 is actually Julian date 81 this year, since it's a leap year. :eng101:
The plant I work at uses them instead of sell-by dates on about half of our product, I guess since it makes it easier to tell what day we made something. I don't see that doing you guys much good when it gets to stores though.
They're a pain in the rear end for us to read too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
I drive a similar lift and work with the same wrap and flinched reading that, whoever left that on top of your lift is an rear end in a top hat. There's no good reason for that to be on top of the guard; plus it's like what, 7 feet tall? More effort to put the wrap up there than not

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

I believe 'partner' is what their store calls its employees.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Sounds like it's this:

e. too slow

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Retail Thread: Burglary Q&A

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Alkydere posted:

At the pizza shop I used to work at some customers would ask for "a cup of ranch" with their delivery so we'd give them a half-filled soda fountain cup so they could dip their slices in it.

:patriot:

:stare:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

But but but then how do huge tax prep companies make any money?

They've got sufficient venomous creatures already without us wishing more upon them.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Bumper Stickup posted:

Dare you open the forbidden tuna? It's good until 2025!

The worst Capri Sun flavor ever seen.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
"Nobody wants to work any more!!!" is generally "nobody wants to work for your company any more" and it's usually because what somebody else is offering sucks a little less than what the company does

good luck convincing a manager or owner though

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Leal posted:

And then there is the fact they were basically throwing the responsibilities of being an assistant manager without any of the pay. Yeah, the AM who quit? I inherited her stuff. And what was I getting paid for dealing with all of this poo poo? A whopping 50 cents above minimum wage. 4 whole extra dollars per full shift, but really its more 3 bucks after uncle sam takes his cut. Which aint poo poo in 2023.

Yeah gently caress everything about that, especially the last bit. I hope you find a much better job

Kilonum posted:

OH MY loving GOD.

HE BALKED AT THE PRICE AND LEFT.

MY DUDE, YOU ARE SHIPPING A PAIR OF 30 POUND BOXES TO loving LIBYA THROUGH A COMPANY WITH "EXPRESS" IN THE NAME.

:laffo:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
the ACAB discount

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Fucken do it then.

At my first stop today, a Walmart. Entire back room smells like rotten eggs. Turns out it's a gas leak and we were told to drop everything and GTFO.

Soon as everyone got outside, a couple employees lit up cigarettes right by the entrance.

Can't blame em for trying

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

njsykora posted:

Delivery today showed up at 11:40pm. The store closes at 11pm. Pretty sure if the regular delivery driver wasn't on holiday he would've disembowelled the driver the instant he got out of the cab.

Our delivery timeslot is meant to be 8-9pm.

Nail them up to the wall outside receiving, pour encourager les autres.

Our current record is 8 days late, no notifications, every call made replied to with "we're talking to the carrier" until management unleashed corporate on the supplier.

Good luck, CW

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Woop-woop, that's the sound of da police
Woop-woop, cleanup needed aisle three

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
There's always money in the banana scam

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

What are the most exciting firings you've ever experienced at your retail jobs?

This one's mostly for the sheer stupidity of it:

Trash at work goes into big 4' square rolling bins which, when full, are pushed into an elevator that runs them up to the top of the building, tips them into a chute running down to a garbage trailer, then returns the empty bin. One bin at a time, takes under 5 minutes.

On night shift, two guys from different departments arrived simultaneously at the lift with full bins and had an argument over who was going to get to empty their bin first.

Their solution was to go out into the parking lot and fistfight.

Both fired about 15 minutes after the boss came in the next morning.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm in need of some shoe recommendations. I used to wear boots with a plastic cap (instead of steel toe) which was perfect when I had to get on my knees and lean back to reach lower shelves. They're heavy and hot though so I've been wearing sneakers but they tear up fast and I haven't found any decent pairs with a plastic cap. When I lean back the tops of my feet are flat on the concrete and make my toes go numb; I can't leave my toes flexed so the top of my foot isn't on the ground for very long.

Anyway rambling explanation aside, I'm looking for comfortable shoes that will last a decent while, with a plastic cap.

Reebok and quite a few others make composite toe sneakers, I switched to them from steel toe boots a few years back and don't regret it. Less ankle support obviously, but they're lighter and easier on the feet, and the non waterproof ones are about as breathable as a normal shoe.
These are the current ones I use, they flex pretty well if I'm up on my toes and are pretty comfortable (I did add gel insoles), and I can kick pallets all day:

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

HazCat posted:

Crossposting this to share a good birb and my good news for today:

one of us, one of us, congrats!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Alkydere posted:

And I'm just sitting there staring at her and nodding while I'm thinking "And how did you miss the fact that one of the lessons they never stop beating into your head on TOM is 'Never Approach, and absolutely never get behind, a vehicle with its engine running'? And you just ran behind me while I was actively backing up?"

As a side note I found a stash of hi-vis vests in a locker outside of one of the guard shack buildings. Snagged a few for my work bag and I plan to literally throw them at suicidal drivers who walk too close to me without wearing a hi-vis vest of their own.

I work receiving and have seen so, so many fellow employees sprint, jog or amble behind moving trucks, trailers, or my own forklift (or between my forklift and a wall).

At this point I think that there's just a certain percentage of people where a backup alarm acts on them like a kind of siren song.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
And soon, only Cowslips Warren remains *Highlander theme plays*

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Local classical stations are my go-to for no-ads listening if bluetooth isn't an option for some reason - at most there's a quick sponsorship reminder from the host or a five minute newsbreak, and then it's back to Bach lol or Vivaldi or whatever (unless it's station fundraising season again)

anyway your manager sounds like a pain in the rear end, and I assume he will act just as surprised and/or offended by your masking next check ride

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I thought my warehouse was really bad about stacking and wrapping their pallets until I saw this monstrosity for someone else.

I would not want to be the poor sap that has to finally cut this open, much less take it apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
You keep what you kill