Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

syntaxfunction posted:

Hell yeah, amps rule. I didn't know that people disliked the JVM, like yeah, it isn't a JCM800 or JTM45 or JMP or whatever but I wasn't aware it was looked down on. They're stupidly versatile and are very capable of all the classic Marshall sounds.

Honestly for the tube offerings Marshall is in a really good place with the reissues, JVM, Origin and DSL series. And I'm not even stupidly keen on the Marshall sound.

As a Marshall fan, I do admit that the JVM doesn't quite feel like the classic heads. All of those heads make you feel like you're plugging into a small thermonuclear weapon. That rich high-mid attack from one of those classic heads, combined with how goddamn immediate they feel, make it feel like you're using some sort of sonic weapon.

...BUT.

They can only ever do that ONE thing. Across the Plexis and the JCMs, there's a few variations on that ONE THING, and to be honest, that ONE THING is one of the best fuckin' things in the world.

The JVM can 9\10 do ALL of those things, plus more. It won't quite feel the same, but it still feels pretty fuckin' great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

H13 posted:

So I've been working on a big holiday project about how and why the Marshall JVM is good actually.

Plenty of online nerds hate it. Marshall nerds especially hate this amp. I decided I would try to prove them wrong by recording a bunch of music and ranting at them.

So here's a long-form video where I talk about how much I love this amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1PoTB5-m7Y

But if you don't want to hear a nerd rant about an amp for half an hour and instead wanna hear how kickass the amp can sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qF04PbRps

There's all the bits of music I recorded for it.

ENJOY.

I'm very excited to watch this later

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I did enjoy! I'll have to finish watching later tho.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the kind words :)

I'm very glad to be finished with this video. I was keen to show that the JVM can kinda do everything really well. Every time I thought I had recorded enough bits of music I went: "Oh wait...it's also great at this..."

I hope listening to me ramble about the amp isn't too dull. I found it dull when editing it...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think the style of the second video is really useful for people to get an idea of sounds and versatility of an amp if they can’t try one themselves. It’s good stuff!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The new hotness in terms of guitar gear right now is this Friedman IR-D pedal which is a real tube preamp that also loads IRs and does all that kind of modern stuff.

This thing is $500, which is about the same as an HX Stomp that also includes, ya know, literally everything else you'd probably want in a rig. Plus a bunch of other amps and cabs.

I get that the Stomp is a modeler and real tubes are cool, but after watching this video (of a Stomp vs the IR-X)... you just get so much more from the Stomp. I guess the simplicity is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QydUKhTKgQw

e: Okay, I guess the Stomp is actually more like $700... but the point stands

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 25, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The only people who give a poo poo about tubes are in hospice which is Friedman’s target market.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The new hotness is, as of yesterday, the Tonex One.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The only people who give a poo poo about tubes are in hospice which is Friedman’s target market.

i used to work as a tube amp tech and its mostly like dudes in their 40s who dont care about tubes, i know tons of young people in my age range (20-30) who are nuts for tube stuff and old people also love em.

Gen X seems to really hate em lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I'm under 40 lol

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I almost never see modelers on stage. I think the last time I saw a modeler being played live was Built to Spill. Doug was using a Fractal FM3 or FM9 and he's like 1000 years old. When I saw Pallbearer and Helms Alee a couple weeks ago, it was tube amps stacked to the rafters. All the indie western and folk bands I see play through fender tube combos. Sometimes something like a Benson or a Magnavox. Never a modeler though and the ages range from early 20s through old as poo poo. Modelers are cool, I love my FM3, but tube amps are still very very desirable to all sorts of musicians.

bees x1000 posted:

I was looking at those and the Kemper pedal and I don't know, they seem like a dead end tech to me. Modelers are insanely good now, why would I want an emulated amp with minimal control over gain, eq, presence, whatever, when I can get a Helix or Fractal that has way more flexibility and often sounds better? And for about the same price or not much more if youre looking at a stomp or FM3? Seems like a hard sell.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Yeah modellers are literally for blues lawyers with jacked backs to take to an open mic night and butcher little wing (the Stevie version, not the Jimi. You know why).

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Modelers are actually for me to play in my basement tyvm

anyway I'm not arguing modelers vs tube amps, I'm saying if you're gonna get something in this form factor that is an "amp in a box" that loads IRs, why not get the one that has like every great pedal and effect also included and also dozens of other legendary amps

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just wanted blow your minds with my scalding hot take. I’m 46 and I love tube amps and use modelers too.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I see modellers on stage all the time if it’s a band playing modern hi gain metal stuff, those guys tend to want 100w hi gain amps with good clean channels and a tonne of fx and the convience of putting that all in a quad cortex rather than carrying the real thing is very appealing.

Less heavy rock bands it seems to be a mixed bag. I saw teenage wrist a few months back and every band on the bill had a line 6 helix stomp or hxfx somewhere on stage but all seemed to be using it for the fx not the amps.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

bees x1000 posted:

i hear it's a real game changer according to all the reviews that popped up at the same time

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I see modelers everywhere, and I gig my FM3 pretty frequently. No way will I ever carry an amp to a show again. There is literally no reason to, and every reason to gig a modeler. I get very different, very recognizable tube amp sounds out of my pedalboard from song to song and only have to plug in one XLR cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJB7gRRr-30

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If the venue was set up so that I didn't NEED to bring a real amp and cab I can't see ever doing it. the convenience factor for the amp-in-a-box pedal is off the charts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I got to A/B my friends rig against my hx stomp xl into qsc powered pa speakers. Rig setup both real and virtual: TS -> JCM 800 -> Mesa o/s w v30s.

The difference was subtle, at best. Like, the difference between two identical real rigs. I still love tube amps (at home) but cmon Jack.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The main attraction of tubes is that you only have a few knobs to fiddle with, instead of infinity options. Plus you can tell yourself that the reason you're cranking the volume is to get a cool sound and not because being loud as gently caress is awesome.

In practice, I'm a modeller, because I don't have a place to be loud and also the Yamaha thr10ii is sufficiently simple that I can just use the knobs to get good enough sounds without spending hours finding the right tone.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what i like most about tubes is I can go into a tube amp and repair it or modify it myself. I dont need to download apps or program software or send it back to the company.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah choice paralysis is a real thing you have to worry about with modelers lol

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

I can't get Bluetooth to successfully stream music from my phone to my headphones for more than an hour, why the hell would I trust that as part of my signal chain? I'm looking at you, UA audio.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BonHair posted:

The main attraction of tubes is that you only have a few knobs to fiddle with, instead of infinity options.

I take it you've never seen a modern high gain amplifier?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kingo Ligma posted:

I can't get Bluetooth to successfully stream music from my phone to my headphones for more than an hour, why the hell would I trust that as part of my signal chain? I'm looking at you, UA audio.

Bluetooth as it currently exists, including the supposed "low-latency" codecs, have no business being apart of a musical instrument signal chain. UA does this? I've never heard of anyone trying and succeeding at that.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

When I was designing BT gear, 'low latency' audio meant ~80ms instead of the typical ~200ms, and you sacrificed bandwidth and range to get that. Even Apple's proprietary garbage doesn't do much better than that.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I take it you've never seen a modern high gain amplifier?

Yeah, those combine the worst of both worlds.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Bluetooth as it currently exists, including the supposed "low-latency" codecs, have no business being apart of a musical instrument signal chain. UA does this? I've never heard of anyone trying and succeeding at that.

Sorry should have been clearer - it's not part of the audio path, it's part of the control system. Rather than spend the money on knobs/screens etc heaps of the control parameters for their pedals are gated behind a Bluetooth connection to a phone app.

A number of digital / modeller companies do this and we already know it's a stupid untenable idea because there are thousands of istomp pedals sitting in rubbish dumps around the world after an iPhone update made them unusable.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I love my Boss Katana because I can get pretty much any sound out of it I want if I'm willing to fiddle.

I love my Orange Dark Terror because it has like 3 knobs and sounds fuckin awesome no matter where I set them.

Both have upsides and downsides but I wouldn't call one inherently better than the other - they scratch different itches.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

IF IT AINT TUBES YOU JUST JERKIN OFF BOY HAW HAW HAW
-every comment from every facebook group that's called "Just Guitars" or "LES PAULS ONLY."

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i feel like the opposite happens a lot too on FB amp groups some guy will be like "hey guys heres my tube amp im really enjoying it" and some dude will be like HAH U SUCKER MY HELIX CAN DO ALL THAT AND MORE YOU LUDDITE

its kinda like gas and EV car groups one side will just attack the other when it should be

"whatever makes you the happiest when you play it, use that"

I like tube amps so I only play tube amps but I certainly dont begrudge anyone who plays solid state or modellers.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kvlt! posted:

i feel like the opposite happens a lot too on FB amp groups some guy will be like "hey guys heres my tube amp im really enjoying it" and some dude will be like HAH U SUCKER MY HELIX CAN DO ALL THAT AND MORE YOU LUDDITE

its kinda like gas and EV car groups one side will just attack the other when it should be

"whatever makes you the happiest when you play it, use that"

I like tube amps so I only play tube amps but I certainly dont begrudge anyone who plays solid state or modellers.

Yea this is absolutely true. My earlier take was a version of that sort of smug "YOU loving IDIOTS IT IS SO OBVIOUS THE ONE TRUE PATH OF HAVING FUN!"

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I was playing my buddy's Marshall Valvestate last night. Might not be a real tube amp, but it sure sounded great at low volume. plus it had a 2x12" speakers, can get loud as gently caress and costs like $300

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

AndrewP posted:

I was playing my buddy's Marshall Valvestate last night. Might not be a real tube amp, but it sure sounded great at low volume. plus it had a 2x12" speakers, can get loud as gently caress and costs like $300

Marshall is really great at modeling Marshall stuff. Vox is really good at modeling vox stuff. Fender is really good at modeling fender stuff. Everything else is pretty good now too from what I've heard and played.

I'm mostly interested in tube stuff as a DIYer and an ADHD collector thing now and I'm fully willing to admit that.

But you have to admit it feels really cool to play directly into a big rear end vintage amp in front of a nice 212 or 412. It is so choice. Sucks to move though. I'm glad it has wheels.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 27, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Post the guts of that AIMS. I bet it’s lousy with glass!!!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Armacham posted:

But you have to admit it feels really cool to play directly into a big rear end vintage amp in front of a nice 212 or 412. It is so choice.

I've gotten poo poo for it in the guitar thread but its true. Cranking a tube amp and playing it through an actual cabinet is pure uncut vibes. The problem is that for like 99% of players, it just isn't feasible. We all live in houses or apartments with family, roommates, neighbors etc and most of us don't have regular practice spaces where you can turn that poo poo up to where it starts really sounding good. But I can get the sound of a dimed Recto in my headphones or computer monitors with my FM3 so there ya go. It still isn't exactly the same but its pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Post the guts of that AIMS. I bet it’s lousy with glass!!!

My amp tech who fixed it and sold it to me has some really good pictures of the other one he fixed that he kept.
https://www.kentonelectrix.com/1971-aims-vt100a

Each of the four channels has its own 7025, then mixed with another 7025. Then there is an 12AT7 for the reverb driver and for the phase inverter. Finally two 6550 or KT88 power tubes.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 27, 2024