Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I feel real sorry for this guy trying to sell this amp. "plus some that are unrecognisable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've brought up a lot in this thread how much I like big amps and am not fond of the "all you need is a small amp" trend. However, needs must and I've been trying to get the big amp sound in the most portable configuration I can. This is the current setup:

Top, Matrix NL12 (7.7kg), bottom, Orange PPC (14kg) amplifier is an EHX .44 magnum and tonez are provided by the Line 6 Helix.

The hype around the NL12 is that its a "1x12 that sounds like a 4x12", thats not quiiiite true. Its certainly very big sounding, clear in the highs and the bass port adds a nice kick, but its still doesent have that thooom in your chest I crave from a 4x12.

Pairing it up with the orange helps bring the thooom though, especially using the line 6 Bodonk(née Big Bottom) model, or any of the other ones with a graphic eq boost at 100hz.

The NL12 is light as gently caress as well, although the orange isn't especially heavy either.

Also, the helix can run your choice of cab IR direct to board anyway, but I feel like I want some real cab sound reinforcement. I've seen shows where the guitarist went direct to board and its fine if the room configuration is such that the PA is all you hear, but in small rooms or in the front rows the audience hears just drums overpowering everything.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 26, 2017

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/power-amp/powerstage-700

Thoughts on this? I've been thinking about putting together some kind of small form not real tube amp but not a modeler pedal based setup for a while. I love how that sounds.

I like the look of it but they missed a trick in having a single stock cab emulation. Should have let you load your own IR's when using a modeller having your own library of favoured IR's makes sooo much difference.

Also theres a 170 watt pedal version but its 4x more expensive than the EHX 44. caliber so it better be 4x better. I'd need to hear it in the flesh to decide.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hot Rod Deluxe

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shugojin posted:

IIRC if you are in the US you can get that Marshall from Sweetwater with a celestion creamback at no extra cost.

Creambacks are the beeeest.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shugojin posted:

I think I'm eventually gonna buy a rect-o-verb 25 or mark 5 25 because they're basically my number 4 amp and I know it, it's mostly just a matter of actually finding a place I can a/b them (I'm probably going to have to drive the 70 or so miles to the nearest guitar center :rip: )

Still faffing about with beer brewing equipment for a bit, probably getting another glass carboy for secondary fermenting and then it's just periodically buying grains yeast and hops

I've never used the Mark V but mark IV's are great. You have to read the manual back to front first though.

One tip: the mid and bass control would be better labeled "mud" and "low mud" and should to be dialed in carefully then left alone. Then use the graphic EQ to notch out the bark in the midrange and make any actual tone adjustments.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Everyone seems to be fellating the katana hard and its definitely more capable for playing out.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

EVH used soldanos for a while and I’ve heard the 5150= ripoff soldano thing before.

That said, I don’t think it’s universal that all hi gain amps have bad clean channels, the mark series cleans are decent.

Also, the fender twin is held up as the best clean ever but it has a particular twangy pokey quality to the kids that I don’t like. The fender deluxe sound is sparklier and closer to my ideal clean as well as providing the basis for a shitload of the amps that decended from it.

If you want your tones to sound consistent from amp to amp I’d just keep the same cab sim.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Basically the amp expects to 'see' a certain amount of resistance to 'push' against. If it sees more resistance, thats fine, you'll lose a bit of potential effiecency/loudness but who cares. If it doesent see enough resistance/sees no resistance thats when things start getting dangerous.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

You can download the VST of Helix on 30day trial to try it.

also helix has the best interface and UI options of all the modellers which matters a lot IMO cause it means you can route things however you want and get your sounds from a few smart automations, which counts for as much live as raw 'tone' does.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 19, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have the Seymour Duncan, it's designed to be flat with all the active EQ knobs straight up so you can run a preamp or modeller into it if you want but if you crank up the treble it sounds fine running a distortion pedal straight in. Hearing a rat completely untamed by anything after it is pretty cool actually. Clean sounds will be a bit uncompressed and dry unless you have something for clean though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

No reason at all. It sounds better IMO since the guitar cab isn’t rolling off the high end on the reflections so it sounds like you’re sctuslly playing in s cavern or whatever.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I played an orange dark terror in the store (with a sales clerk who drew me in with the promise that for 30 seconds they'd step outside the store and I could turn it up to 10) and I might be prepared to renounce digital now.

I seriously loved the original tiny terror I had. They're fantastic sounding amps and not just "for the size" the ability to wind it up to power tube distortion is part of the fun.

The only issue I had with my old one was a few gig where we weren't given any PA reinforcement and I couldnt get any clean headroom, but gently caress clean headroom.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I don't know what sag is

It’s when the power amp is cranked it can’t draw enough power quick enough to make the note happen and so the attack of the note sounds slightly mushy. Like you put a compressor but after the amp. It’s kinda rad if that’s your vibe.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Im only just coming around to the fact that miced small cabs can sound really good in their own way not just as a compromised 4 x 12.

100ws and 4 x 12s still own for room filling though. I’ll never be a “but all you NEED is 15 watts and a small amp” guy.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 25, 2019

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I used to have a tiny terror and most of the time it was great but when we played shows in non-venues with a PA that was vocals only it would run out of headroom and I couldn’t get a clean sound at all.

Yeah 99% of the time you don’t NEED more than 40 watts but sometimes you just WANT that horsepower.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Anyway I’m talking a lot of noise here because as much as I’d love a 100w head again my current set up is digital and my future solution to shows like that is just not to play them lol

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Basically, the amplifier is kicking out a fat stream of power, and it’s expecting to see something substantial to kick against. If it doesent, then it’s just pissing power into the wind/itself in a wanton and dangerous fashion. If it sees a bit more resistance than it was expecting. That’s fine, it just means it won’t be outputting as much volume efficiently.

I think 4ohm into 16 ohm load is pushing it though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

H13 posted:

Fair cop. In that case:

At the moment I'm recording my amps with the DI from a load box. Load box is 8ohm and has an 8ohm output.

Would there be any issue going:

Amp (4ohm) -> Load Box (8ohm) -> Cabinet (16ohm)

Or would I be better just going Amp -> Cab?

forget what I just said. It turns out there’s a difference in how solid state and tube amps handle this.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Hughes and Kettner blog says it’s fine to connect a 16ohm head into a 4ohm cab though which other sources I’ve found say no way, 8ohm at minimum.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Kinda following in the post above me, I have 15 guitars but I’ve never really spent money on amps.

I’m a relatively well off guy, and I want to blow about 2-3 grand to get two or 3 good amps.

I’m thinking I want the quintessential models from Vox, Fender, and Marshall.

Help me out? I don’t want big amps, but small gigs and bedroom applicable models. I want tube amps.

So Vox, ac15 with alnico?

What about for Fender or Marshall?

Fender the Deluxe reverb sound I prefer to the Fender Twin sound and its 22 watts rather than 100.

Marshall have a 20watt JCM800 now.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

How much should I care about the cab. Is the process find a head you like then get a matching cabinet?

Or mix and match?

What are the guiding principles?

You should care about cab since it affects tone a fair bit (how *much* you should care is subjective)

Size matters with a cab, a 4x12 will obviously sound 'bigger' than a 1x12, but whether that's desirable is up to the player. Rock and Metal players like 4x12s (though most settle for 2x12s these days) cause they go 'thunk' in a statisfying way in the 100hz range. Players who don't find that important in their music may find that that extra bass is undesirable and muddy and prefer a smaller amp. Personally I think you need at least a 1x12 for a little punch, anything smaller than that like the blackstars 1x8 is for portability rather than pleasure.

Speakers matter, lots of entry level cabs come with cheap speakers that are kind of bland. Vintage 30's are the go to metal speaker because they have a pleasing snarl quality to them that pairs well with gain. Greenbacks/creambacks are a little more woody and vintage but still punchy, T75s are kind of focused and nasal, then there are the eminence and fender ones I don't know much about.

Whether a cab is open or closed back will affect how it disperses. Rock guys tend to like closed back for the focused aggression. Players who are cleaner like the extra dispersion of an open back cab.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The plexi/super lead are the classic 60s Marshall’s that distorted only when played so loud that the phase inverter started breaking up. The sound completely badass and are completely unusable volume wise outside of Woodstock. Some people call this The Marshall Sound

The JCM800 added a master volume to get distortion at slightly more reasonable volumes and is also completely badass, although due to the bright cap in its circuit it still needs to be turned up pretty dang loud or else it sounds kinda thin. Some people call this The Marshall Sound.

The JCM900 is Marshall response to players modifying the 800 for higher gain (it doesent have as much as many people assume, metal players stick a boost in front of it) by making an amp that adds another gain stage. I’ve played both good and terrible 900s, they can sound kind of fizzy in the wrong circumstances. Pretty much no one calls this The Marshall Sound

The JCM2000/DSL were the late 90s replacement for the 900 adding more tone options. They used to be really bad and blow up but after being around for 20 years Marshall has quietly updated the internals so they’re a decent mid price, well featured amp.

The TSL was the sibling to the DSL with more features, more channels, worse tone, worse reliability. Now dead I believe.

The mode four was Marshall’s attempt to go full nu metal with a solid state multichannel thing that was optimised for trouser flapping bass. It sucked but it’s matching cab was great.

The JVM was Marshall’s 2010s line, another full featured multichannel amp but a smoother, more refined “modern” sounding amp, like a Friedman more than the rowdiness of an 800.

I’ve never played the origin or Astoria line, plexi inspired I guess?

The tl;dr every amp Marshall come out with claims to sound “as good as a JCM800/plexi but...” with varying degrees of success. They all pretty much do the same thing: have a big raspy KERRANG sound but some feel a bit looser, some tighter, some responding differently at volume thinner and so on. Listing all the bands that used them and the minute differences is pretty much impossible, particularly when you consider that bands mod them or tweak them all the time for their records. Marshalls just sound like Marshalls except for the bad ones which sound like poop.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 18, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The dark terror is so good apart from the no clean channel thing. The lack of headroom means its actually attainable to get power amp distortion at non-stadium levels.

Same with other small lunchbox amps. Orange OR15 is also great. The Marshall Origin is a tiny plexi, although that goes the whole hog in absolutely not permitting you get any grit until the master is above 12, but when it reaches it its glorious.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 20, 2021

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Black star HT series sound to me like Marshall’s where someone went in and cleaned up some of the upper midrange rasp. Which also strips a lot of their charm and brightness in a mix IMO. They’re fine though. The S1 series is a whole other thing.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I don’t love valve kings but 125 is stupid cheap.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

2204s have a bright cap in the circuit which means they aren't operating at full potential at low master volumes I believe.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I mean dont get me wrong I'm absolutely seeing Pokey Arayas band live if I ever get the chance but I'm going to be standing near the fire exit when I do.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

A load box such as the two notes line that has an output at line level, send that into the helix.

The thing about that setup is if youre using the AD15 with the helix then the helix effects become redundant anyway surely? and if you really need to record at headphone level I would just use the helix entirely without the amp.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 29, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If you have the helix set up right you wouldn't really need to swap cables. Just have the AD15(+loadbox) in one of its loop and then separate patches for different things that bring into the loop or exclude it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Friedman if you like hi gain British sounds, Revv Genn or EVH 5150 if you like aggressive American metal sounds. Dont get a combo they end up being heavier and harder to move than a separate head plus 1x12 (or 2x12) cab. If volume is a concern Friedman and EVH both have 15/20 watt versions.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I have a headrush 108, its super loud and you can plug anything into it, albeit a little boomy but that can be mitigated with EQ.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Gorgar posted:

I have a Laney GH50L that I am starting to like more than some much more valuable amps. They’re a good deal, sound good without a lot of tweaking needed.

I ha the VH100 which is basically the two channel version and those amps do own. Noisy though . They’re basically Marshall’s with added gravel.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I see modellers on stage all the time if it’s a band playing modern hi gain metal stuff, those guys tend to want 100w hi gain amps with good clean channels and a tonne of fx and the convience of putting that all in a quad cortex rather than carrying the real thing is very appealing.

Less heavy rock bands it seems to be a mixed bag. I saw teenage wrist a few months back and every band on the bill had a line 6 helix stomp or hxfx somewhere on stage but all seemed to be using it for the fx not the amps.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

insane clown pussy posted:

the last band i was in we rented a practice space that had the peavey version (6534 or something like that)

pretty much sounded exactly like what it is, a heavily modded jcm. i think the evh ones are a little more scooped and fizzy modern sounding though, but that's the case in general with them

The peavey 5150 / 6505 > EVH 5150iii has a weird lineage. As i understand it the 5150 circuit is derived from a soldano SLO one right down to a few distinctive componant choices giving the game away (side note, so are mesa rectifiers, so that SLO preamp basically shaped the sound of high gain guitar since the 90s). But then the EVH (fender) iii version takes the name, branding and broad inspiration but is actually a different amp internally from the peavey 5150-now-6505

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I think he says the 5152? So he wouldn’t mean the developed the low cut there since it was already in the first 5150, just that a change in component refined it for the mark ii.