Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Between being a lifer in the guitar shop business and being a professional sound dude (as well as a total amp slut) I have played through and heard pretty much everything. I'll be happy to give my 2 cents wherever needed.

Since this is an amp circlejerk, I must say- anyone here who hasn't played through a Dr Z, Hughes and Kettner, or a real Bogner owes it to themselves to seek one out and treat yourself to a nice little eargasm. Obviously there are more great amps out there, but those three brands seem to be off most players' radar and it's a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Polytone would be a great choice for a jazzy feller like yourself. Mini brutes are all over the place on ebay for around 500 bucks.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

kaptainkaffeine posted:

I've got a Rivera R55 that I love, but I got a couple of quibbles maybe yall can help me with. First, where do I find a decent hard 1x12" combo case that's not sight-unseen on ebay or 3/4 the cost of the amp custom? Also, when I first got it it had these wonderful chimey fender cleans that I could get relatively loud. I gig with it very regularly and I'm starting to notice a breakup in the clean channel sooner than it used to. I don't know if this is due to it getting knocked around a fair bit (hence me looking for a case), or if it just needs to be retubed, or what. The (power, at least) tubes are as old as the amp, but I'm disinclined to figure that's the issue due to the symptoms being relatively mild. Thoughts?

Retube it. Distortion when things should still be clean is one of the first symptoms of power tube wear. At least have a tech check it out as the bias could have drifted on you as well.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

There is a danger of popping your voice coil running a bass through a guitar amp, but only if you do something stupid. Just pay attention and make sure you're not maxing out the speaker.

One of the best bass tones you'll ever hear on tape is a p-bass through a blackface deluxe.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Sirius Sam posted:

I'm not sure if this is the thread for this, but I had a question about daisy chaining. What I'm trying to do is Guitar > Laney VH100R > Laney to a Fender M80 Chorus for power, then out of the M80 to the cabs. But I can't figure out how to get it to work. I was trying to do from the speaker output on the Laney to the guitar input on the M80 and I learned this is BAD NEWS BEARS. I talked to an amp tech and he said to go from the Preamp Line out of the Laney to the Line In of the M80 and I tried that and it didn't do anything. I also googled the poo poo out of it and tried to old school way of daisy chaining (guitar in to amp 1 input1 > amp 1 input2 to amp 2 input1) and that didn't do anything either.

What am I doing wrong and how do I make this work :(

Why would you want to bypass the tube power section of the Laney in favor of the lovely sounding power section of the M80?

Either way Line out of the Laney into the line in of the M80 is correct. In this configuration only the master volume control on the m80 will work.

You are going to be way better off throwing the M80 off of a cliff and running the laney straight into the speakers.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The new 6534+ sounds great too- just a 6505 with el34s and a few things slightly tweaked. Highly recommended.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is 125 bucks for a Peavey Valve King 112 Semi-Tube a good deal? Is it going to do metal better than my katana which I only felt was merely okay?

Here's what it says

Features
- 50 watts (rms) into 16 ohms
- Two 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes
- Two independent footswitchable channels
- Separate EQ for each channel
- Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel
- External speaker capability
- 12 inch ValveKing speaker
- Reverb with level control
- Buffered effects loop
- Resonance switch for "tight or loose" cabinet response
- Texture variable Class A simulation control (patent pending)

The handle had a screw strip out. I put another in but eventually it stripped as well. I don’t Move it around anymore so it hasn’t bothered me. Great amp with great sound. Much cheaper than more tube amps but still has good power and gain.

Valvekings are positively decent. throw some fun pedals at it and you'll have a grand ol time with it.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

What do you guys think? Should I go for that or wait a bit and get something like a 6505 mini? This is mostly just for at home so I can have cool tube amp sounds, although at some point in the future I might like to play with folks. I was told the mini could push a cab loud enough for that if needed.

I like stuff like Death, random melodic death metal stuff, Gojira, some thrash metal, etc.

Valvekings are not great for metal, more of a bluesdad/rock kinda sound. You definitely would still be using your katana to get heavy.

That price is real good, but if the handle screw is stripped that thing was rode hard and put away wet, so if you don't actually already have the amp you might hold out as I would bet it's gonna need a tube job sooner than later as well.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I have an Orange Rockerverb MkIII i treated myself to some new tubes. I was going to retube and bias it and discovered apparently Orange put some sort of auto-bias system in their amps around 2011? This was purchased new from Orange around 2016.

I've never heard of it before or seen anything referencing it on the amp. Should I just bias it like normal?

The Orange forums are painfully unhelpful. You can't talk about any sort of amp maintenance without Orange saying "take it to a pro" and banning you.

Do some more digging. "auto bias" usually means cathode bias, which USUALLY means you dont need to rebias when you swap tubes, but I'm not 100 on how orange power sections work these days. I will say this - Amps over 30 watts are rarely cathode biased. Rockerverbs were still fixed bias as of the last one I messed with in 2014 or so.

The do make an auto biasing device called DIVO that they did build into some amps for awhile, but it was a big selling feature so if your Amp had that you'd know cause they're pretty in your face about that feature. See here :https://orangeamps.com/products/guitar-amp-heads/rockerverb/rockerverb-100-mkii-head-divo/

Gramps fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 14, 2021

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Someone who understands it better should also talk about what it is like trying to get your Blackstar touched by an amp tech. I gave up when I was satisfied I could just put the goddamned tube in and put it back together. I have a terrific little HT-5H and I love it. But if it ever needs anything I can't say I'll pursue it too hard, but I did switch to a modeling system anyway.

Those are a weird corner case that use a dual triode tube (typically used as preamp tubes) in push/pull as a power tube. Those almost never need biasing but I always check documentation or schematics just to be double sure.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is said like a person who is unfamiliar with the process of finding anyone willing to touch your Blackstar amp. I found it surprising in many aspects.

yeah that's SUPER weird that they wouldn't work on it- unless it's because those HTs had that factory flaw and he didn't wanna get blamed when it flamed out through no fault of his, but you'd think they'd tell you something like that

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stoopidmunkey posted:

Question for the hive mind: I’ve got a jcm900 that I love. I usually just turn everything to 10 on the clean channel and use the natural overdrive I get. To get some more drive on the clean, i was looking at getting this but don’t know if it works the way I think it does. https://legendarytones.com/hot-mod-v2e-the-ultimate-marshall-2203-2204-high-gain-plug-in-tube-modification-module/#more-1143

It does indeed add 2 more gain stages, but double check with em that it'll fit cause I think the tubes are closer together in the JCM900 than the JCM800s that it was designed to be used in.

I personally would just slam the front of it with a pedal. Can't go wrong with a tubescreamer, but I always like the Xotic BB preamp or the TC electronic line driver with JCM 900s

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stoopidmunkey posted:

Would the ts go direct to the input or in the effects loop? I’ve got one of those volume controls in the loop so I can crank the dials but not go deaf. Just didn’t know if putting a screamer in the loop with the attenuator would work. Not opposed to guitar -> screamer-> amp. Just want it to work. Also now wondering how much trouble I’d be in with the wife and got a jcm800 to put extra gain stages in. Probably a lot and she’d get the amp in the divorce out of spite.

Just put er in front and rip it. Crank volume run the gain low on the pedal. This will almost certainly scratch the itch.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

polar posted:

I was wondering if others of you have had an attenuator and then sold it, did it help your playing?

They make having a tube Amp more fun to have cause you can actually use em which will make you want to play more which will make you better so uhhh yes

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

The Demilich posted:

My amp is a Quilter Tone Block 202. I love the little thing! Currently I only run it into a Harley Benton G212 Vintage cabinet, which is a pair of celestion V30's which can run at 120 W at 8 ohms, so by necessity I have to dial the amp back (literally the wattage is controlled by a dial). .

You aren't going to get any benefit out of an attenuator with that amp- it basically has one built in already anyway. The whole point of an attenuator is to be able to slam the power stage of a tube amp harder so it sounds better at a lower volume. It's not gonna do anything for that amp, in fact solid state amps actually sound worse if you drive them too hard, they need headroom.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

The Friedman mini is great, I bet the SLO mini is mighty fine. I've been thinking about how to justify it, where I could get a little cab for it, and where to put it but have not yet sold myself on it, especially having just got the 5150 Iconic 40W.

All the mini heads Boutique Amps Distribution did are based on the same power amp architecture and they all sound awesome. If you like the Friedman or the SLO but want something with a different flavor of aggressive the Diezel and Bogner rip as well.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

muike posted:

I've never played a Soldano irl but I can confirm this mini one is one of the gnarliest sounding high gain solid state amps I've ever used. It definitely likes some guitars more than others though, my lower tuned guitars sounded best

That jives. The Soldano SLO is pretty much the gold standard for a vicious sounding high gain amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stoopidmunkey posted:

Looking for some amp advice.

I very seriously doubt a Dumble clone is what you want unless you're an SRV/John Mayer wannabe, which does not sound like this is the case.

Look into Hughes and Kettner and REVV as they are the best sounding amps I can think of that have built in loadbox type thingies.

Also THIS really stood out to me: "I really want a master volume so I can play with all other dials at 10"
This is 100 percent the wrong way to look at things. You have a preconceived notion of what you want your eq settings to be. Don't do this!!! Every amp has different EQ sections, some amps will sound great dimed, some absolutely will NOT. Some amps have the EQ before the first gain stage, some have it post gain, some have active EQs. Always start flat and make your EQ moves with your ears. I would also play with the dirty channel on your 900- those sound awesome if you dial em in right, but in my opinion sound harsh and tubby with everything on 10.

Another question that is just as if not more important is what kind of cab are you using? Cabs make a CRAZY difference.