Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I was hoping to get some help with this, but I'm relatively new to amps and such so forgive me if my terminology and descriptions are off.

So I use an Orange Rockerverb MKIII as my amp for playing stoner/doom type stuff. I have a pedal called Acapulco Gold, which is a one-knob pedal that imitates the sound of a cranked Sunn Model T. I often will turn up the gain all the way on the Orange and then also turn up the pedal all the way, which leads to a tone that I really like. My problem is even if all the strings are muted I still get so much distortion and the overall sound is just incredibly muddy. I can turn down the gain or the pedal which will clean it up, but then I don't get the tone I like and even then I still get noise coming from my amp. The only time I can mute the strings and the amp is silent is if I switch off the pedal completely. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you both for the help!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Smash it Smash hit posted:

so you like the tone but also the tone is incredibly muddy?

Also if you are cranking the gain on your amp and your pedal chances are it will be very distorted and muddy. The acapulco gold and pedal like that are usually meant to be put into a clean amp to use the pedals again to get the distorted tone

I love the muddiness of the tone when I am playing, that's why I'm using the pedal through the dirty channel. My issue is when the strings are muted or I'm not playing there's still incredible noise. I think a noise gate is the answer, as this thread suggested.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

So just to be clear, with sound, most people associate the word "mud" with overbearing and undefined lows/low mids, with lacking definition in the treble frequencies when you're playing. Is that the kind of mud you're talking about?

Or when you say "mud," are you talking about how much garbly white noise there is when you're not playing? Because if that's the case, most people will be confused by that because that's not how most people use the word "mud."

I apologize if my wording was confusing, I can understand the issue here. I may have been using both interchangeably.

Going by your 1st definition of mud, the problem could be described as "I love the muddy tone using this amp-pedal combo, but the white noise when I am not playing is a problem". That problem could be fixed by a noise gate, as this thread suggested.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

jwh posted:

It might help. It depends on where the noise is coming from.

If you crank up your amp, and then disconnect your guitar from the amp, do you still have noise?

Maybe, but I don't think so. I'll have to check when I get home.

The noise is definitely coming from the pedal I think. When I crank the gain on the amp all the way and mute the strings it is silent, when I add the pedal is when the white noise comes in.

I've got a noise gate coming in today so I'll report back and see how that goes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Update: I got an ISP Decimator II pedal and it pretty much fixed the problem. I still get a tiny bit of background noise but that's because I'm playing with just too much gain. It's a bearable amount and doesn't bother me. The tone isn't really affected at all from what I can tell.

Thank you all for the suggestion, it worked!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This might be a dumb question or the wrong place, but as somebody who has no knowledge of electronics, where do I start with working on my own amps?

I know it's extremely dangerous, but I'd like to be able to do it on my own (safely) eventually. Is this something one can do as a hobby or is it more a "go to school for it" type of thing? Where do I start? Are there starter kits or something that are safe that one can tinker around with?

Sorry if this is vague. I'd love to be able to do maintenance/modifications on my amps safely but have absolutely no clue where to start on anything involving amps and DIY.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e: wrong thread

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hah same, as soon as I heard Gibson buying Mesa I ran to the music shop to put the Boogie they had on hold.

Which Vox is that on the left?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

creamcorn posted:

they're somehow going to alter a single support inside the cab that will introduce a catastrophic point of failure, bringing manna from heaven to struggling amp techs.

As a current amp tech apprentice I cant wait for all the business fixing Mesas when Gibson inevitably fucks em up

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BonHair posted:

Aren't Mesas basically the worst thing to fix? I seem to remember amp techs refusing to touch then because they're crammed full of a billion components in way too little space.

I havent worked on a Mesa yet since I only started recently, but in the shop I apprentice at we straight up refuse to fix certain Peavey's because the chassis are set up in such a bizzare way no amount of $$$ is worth the time and frustration to fix them. Ill ask the boss man on Tuesday which models they are since I forget and report back.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've never seen a tube tester built INTO an amp before. Anyone know whats going on here? The one we have at work is HUGE I cant imagine one fitting into a chassis with an amp. But then again that one is analog.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mesas do have soooo much switching. Surprised they dont add a vape somewhere in them like that Keeley pedal lol

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hey everyone I have a little bit of an amp mystery. I have an old family photo from what I believe is either the 30s or 40s, and I'm trying to figure out what amp is in it:

It looks like its being used to amplify the lady playing guitar in her lap, as thats the only instrument with pots on it. Unfortunately I have no way of identifying that lady so I cant ask her or her descendants about the amp.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Do you know approximately where this photograph was taken?

Yes. It was taken in the suburbs of Buffalo NY, around Williamsville, NY I believe. Thank you so much for the help, gonna go check out those leads! I think you are correct.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

That's an oxymoron :smuggo:

But to answer your question, you need to be more specific. What sound are you looking for? How do you define boutique?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Siivola posted:

John Fogerty’s sofa-looking Kustom is the sound of my childhood. Albert King has a wonderfully awful tone on his Fillmore records.

"Boutique" to me means one dude in a garage with Opinions About Turret Boards.

Yeah ive never heard of boutique solid state and I work in the industry

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You don't need SS for apartment playing. I live in an apartment and play all my tube heads ranging from 5-100 Watts. Just need a good attenuator.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

>Bedroom amp
>Classic old school tube sound

Pick one, as others have said. You can try all you want but youll never get the sounds youre thinking of with tiny bedroom amps, tube or not.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the HiWatt Hi-5 has a goofy name but is the greatest bedroom amp if you like distortion. Gives you heavy tube tones at reasonable volumes.

Otherwise as others have said the Katana is great for more clean stuff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Mesa Cali Tweed can go from 40w down to 2w and a lot of different power settings in between

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

You can play any head through any cab as long as its rated correctly for impedance and such

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Weber Mass, or any Weber attenuator is what I use. You want one that actually has a load. Avoid "volume pot in the FX loop" stuff like Little Black Box unless you want a lovely attenuator-like thing for ultra cheap.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hiwatt Hi5 is a 5Watt amp with amazing tone that is reasonable at low volumes, put a treble booster in front of it and it just sings. I use it in my apartment and have had no comaints from the neighbors, and it also can get loud af when I need it to.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm finally going to sell my Electric Amp head. I swore I would drag this thing with me to the grave but I genuinely need the money now.

You want to sound like the Sleep - Dopesmoker album? This thing has your back.

This thing is awesome af, i wish I could afford it. What's the fuzz knob do? Is it a built in transistor fuzz circuit or an extra tube gain stage or a clipping circuit or some combo?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can someone help me with this layout for an amp I'm working on? Specifically my question is what is the difference between the dotted wires and the solid wires?

Are the solid wires wiring I'm supposed to do, and the dotted wires PCB traces?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

widefault posted:

Dotted should just be wires run on the backside of the board, no?

I'm learning so I didn't know that. Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I have an Orange Rockerverb MkIII i treated myself to some new tubes. I was going to retube and bias it and discovered apparently Orange put some sort of auto-bias system in their amps around 2011? This was purchased new from Orange around 2016.

I've never heard of it before or seen anything referencing it on the amp. Should I just bias it like normal?

The Orange forums are painfully unhelpful. You can't talk about any sort of amp maintenance without Orange saying "take it to a pro" and banning you.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

For tube amps they're great, just make sure you get an actual attenuator like a Weber and not just a volume pot that goes in your fx loop

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Extremely pricy but this is all I could think of that would do it off the top of my head

https://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Good to know!

I love Weber attenuators but I don't think they make one for 200 Watt amps

Out of curiosity what amp is it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pokey Araya posted:

Also I will say about the my advice, I've blown up about 20 amps, and 30+ speakers

This alone explains why you absolutely should not take this persons advice.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

stoopidmunkey posted:

Anyone here build their own tube amps? I’ve been an electronics hobbyist since I was a kid and have done several pedals so I’ve decided to try my hand at a low wattage amp. The only parts I’m having trouble trying to source are quality transforms so I was hoping the thread had some sources. I’ve been looking at tube depot and don’t mind the prices but they’re out of stock for what I want.

Fwiw there's a worldwide shortage of transformers rn (or at least thats why the folks at mojotone claim to be delaying my order 😡)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

tell us more about how you had sex and blew up amps on tour mr cool rock star

This is the amplifier thread. People literally come here for technical talk/advice. It is the place for technical questions.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pokey Araya posted:

Post technical advice then, you didn't help out The Demilich with his speaker question at all. Share your knowledge with us. I'm here for it.

I don't have the answer to his questions. That's why I come to this thread. To learn technical stuff.

I am failing to see how "blow up your poo poo" and have someone replace the components that failed or the amp itself is anything close to good advice. Let's assume that everyone can afford that, which is absolutely not true, even then I don't want to blow up my amps, I want to learn how to AVOID blowing them up.

I have amps that sit at home all day. I play through them every single day, I enjoy the hell out of them. Just because someone's not touring doesn't mean they aren't legit musicians or something. And even if they're just hobbyists, what's wrong with that? What's wrong with enjoying your amps at home and having fun with them and taking proper care of them?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pokey Araya posted:

All the theory in the world isn't going to help you, I'm here to give practical, lived through advice. If he wants to play a Fender Champ at home halfway up, I'm sure you can chime in.

Actually it will help you its called electrical engineering and is the science we use to make amps. Its not like music theory where its all subjective to taste, there are actual laws of science governing here.

My home rig is an Orange Rockerverb MKIII 100 and a Mesa Boogie MKV 35, but tell me more about how cool and massive your rigs are and how hard you push them mr cool rock star. I bet Matt Pike wishes he had your backline.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

It's even funnier now that it's obvious you know literally all you have to do is match impedance and wattage.

This is like going into AI for car advice and having some dude back up their terrible advice by going "just use the accelerator instead of the brake, there's no rules here it's all about feel man. I've crashed my car like 400 times so I'm pretty much a rally driver".

Giving advice you objectively know is unhelpful and stupid because "everybody knows that poo poo already" is arrogant, condescending and a loving dick move.

You don't know where someone else is on their journey or where their knowledge gaps are.

No one thinks you're a legend for deliberately being a dumbass. gently caress unless there is fire involved blown amps don't even look cool to the audience, you're just quieter or silent for at least ten minutes if you have a backup

You said it better than I could

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Literally yes. I apologize for being rude and standoffish but if you had just posted that from the beggining Demilich wouldve gotten the info he needed.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Catastrophe posted:

I now actively want to sell my Electric Amp MV120 head because I've been out of work for over a year and need the rent money but I'm so burned out on insultingly pushy low-ballers on anything I've tried to sell over the past few years.

"I know you said $2000 firm but would you take $450?" type poo poo. Absolutely sick and tired of it.

To be fair, you can buy a brand new brand name Matamp GT120MV for under $2k USD.

Just take the EL84's out and sell THEM for $2000. With the tube amp panic that's more likely to sell lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Gonna get a Mesa some time tho. Because, well, Mesa.

I got paranoid about Gibson loving up Mesas and bought a MkV 35 Watt when the sale was announced and I have no regrets because now I have a Mesa and it's awesome. So much tone to chase just plugging direct in, let alone with pedals.

Plus I can bring it to my jamband friends and metalhead friends and itll sing in both situations!