Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I saw Propagandhi play two nights ago and mother fuckin' Todd (their bass player) uses the same amp as I do, but he's got a fridge and I've got a dinky 2x12. Now I want an Ampeg fridge again. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spikeness posted:

This is my first foray into the world of tube amps, wanted a reverberocket for a while and now I have one, Its loving amazing!

Frontman has a half-stack of that 'cept with a matching 4x12 and 50-watt head. He bought it new over 10 years ago and has never replaced the tubes. It's always sounded pretty darn good but getting new tubes in there is going to be a game changer.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
A local guitar shop has a Mesa/Boogie 400 (not the 400+, mind) up for $800. Haven't seen it in person, but the picture on the site (here it is) indicate that it was rack-mounted for most of its life and I have every intention of taking a closer look, maybe even dragging my Mesa/Boogie Diesel 410 into the shop and seeing what it can do. Most of the 400s I've seen available for sale are 400+s and are about a hundred bucks more and the only difference I've been able to determine is that the non-+ models use a dozen 6L6s instead of six 6550s. Any other issues? I'm actually kind of excited because I am in love with Sovtek (for no damned good reason) and would get to put 6 of their 6550WEs in there and watch my bandmates cry. I guess I'll be keeping my 800RB on hand, but is $800 a good deal for this thing? I wanna make the jump to tubes (hurrah for raises) and SVTs, while freakin' awesome, this 400 might be more up my alley, not to mention cheaper.

edit: Off of the topic above, my guitarist bought new tubes for his Ampeg reverberocket head and one of the new matched tubes got much, much hotter than its pair; I was able to smell it from across the room and turn the amp off. Is this more-than-likely a faulty tube or something wrong with his amp? He's never replaced the tubes in this amp and when we put the old ones in, nothing went wrong. I know which tube it was, but I don't know where it is in the circuit off the top of my head.

scuz fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 4, 2012

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ethan posted:

Did the tubes get biased when they got put in?
Well my face sure is red. Nope. Would that cause one tube to meltdown and not the other? I didn't think the consequences were that bad :ohdear:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
This discussion has reminded me that I don't know half as much as I'd like to about tubes and how they work. It has also prodded me to find the RCA RC-30 receiving tube handbook, which I gather is a pretty dry but interesting-to-the-right-nerd read. I found it here: clicky and goddamn, this is fun!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

Today I opened my Kustom 250 Tuck'N'Roll to give the pots a cleaning, since knob noise annoys me a great amount. I also learned that Kustom put the schematics to their amps.... inside their amps.

Do/did other companies do this? Because it is genius.

I've never actually owned an all-tube amp. Not too upset about it, either. Don't have to bias preamp tubes. Heh.
On a related note: where do y'all buy your tubes from?
I've used https://www.tubedepot.com in the past and had great success. They're really friendly folks. Otherwise there's probably a half-way decent non-guitar center tube re-seller in your area, the problem is finding it. If you're in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area I can recommend Willie's American Guitars. They're fuckin' awesome and have tons of classic old guitars and basses hanging on the walls.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So there's a band that I've been friends with for a while, and we've played with them a lot, and they've sort of taken off because their music is awesome and they play shows all the time (like one per week in the area). They're talented dudes, but their gear is what a 15 year-old grunge cover band would use. A 50-watt Peavey TKO bass amp (which I suspect is a keyboard amp), a Marshall modelling solid-state half stack that grates my ears off, and a Peavey ValveKing (which I guess isn't too bad). The lead guitar guy who just bought an MIA Tele finally asked me what he should get for a new amp to replace his Marshall half-stack, so we went and tried this:

Fender DeVille 410 (came with a cover and footswitch!) and holy cow, this thing is awesome. We monkied around with it for a while in the shop before he decided on it 100% and I couldn't be happier. They play twangy punk rock stuff and this is a huge step up for them. And we were able to dial in a whole lot of awesome tones on this DeVille, but the only thing that I'm not sold on (the guy playing it is fine [so why even care, right?]) is palm-muting. It sounds a little flubby and dirty during palm-muted chords and I think part of it is the Tele, and the other part is the amp itself. I could dial out most of it using the EQ stuff, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any of their favorite settings on this bad boy. As for discussion-type stuff, what can we do for their Peavey? I'm thinking just another one of these, or (since he plays backup) maybe just a Fender Hot Rod 212? He's playing a Gretsch hollowbody through that head into a Marshall 1960B and it's just not cutting the mustard anymore.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
There's a Mig100 on my local craigslist that comes with a Carvin 412 cabinet for $600. I wanna buy that thing and convert it into a 2x12 combo amp. Crazy idea or awesome idea? I've never done anything like this before, but I really like the amp itself and don't wanna plunk-down a grand to get a DIY kit.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hokay so there's a Marshall JCM 900 4502 2x12 combo up for $500 at my local shop. It would be replacing a Peavey VK100 + JCM 900 4x12 and play alongside a DeVille 4x10. How would this hold up? The combo is a must-have, and we just can't get the VK to sound good. We've decided that the options are that 4502 combo, or get a JCM 900 and put it on a 2x12 cabinet, but we'd prefer the combo.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

iostream.h posted:

I beat the holy gently caress out of one of those for a couple of years, the only real issue I had was the tube sockets getting a little loose, no big thing.

I gotta ask tho, why would you prefer the combo?

Portability. The lovely half stack is such a pain to haul around and we play out weekly. Everyone else has a great-sounding compact setup, so why not this too? :shobon:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Friend of mine needs his JCM 800 2302 worked on a bit and he's letting me do it! He wants the tubes changed to EL34s and I haven't done anything like that before. I'm no dummy when it comes to electronics, and I'm very careful in these things, but is there any definitive resource out there for this kind of thing?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Grapist posted:

If it was sold in the US in the 80's I'm going with 6550's.

Indeed it was. It has the inputs vertically aligned. Rumor has it I can get away with just rebiasing, but I'd like to do it the right way.

edit: Found this from the gear page:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-678115.html posted:

MARSHAL 6550 to EL34
1.) Locate the 47K resistor above the bias pot and solder another 47K in parallel.
2.) Set the bias pot the max (around –38 volts).
3.) Locate the purple feedback wire (that is connected to the 4 ohm speaker tap) and solder it onto the 8-ohm speaker tap.
4.) Install the EL34’s and re-bias the amp.
Sounds doable. And I'd like to go with KT77s, which I understand are p much the same darn thing anyway, from a conversion standpoint.

scuz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 20, 2013

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I've started this 6L6-to-EL34 conversion and I feel very out of my depth. I think I've finally managed to pick out the resistor that I need to double, so the project is going to be finished, but I need an amp of my own for practice. Is there a certain type of tube amp that would be good for me to experiment on without breaking the bank? I'm thinking that if I post "I will buy your broken amp" on craigslist that I might wind up with something good, but I'm also curious as to where the techies in the thread got their start.

Also where do you guys go for tube amp service tips, gurus, and general info, like forums and stuff?

scuz fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 8, 2014

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

I have no answer for you, but just wanted to say be careful. That poo poo can kill you if you don't drain the capacitors to ground or some such nonsense.

This was a concern for me, too, so I did that first :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Grapist posted:

I'm getting some sample amps from a few vendors soon, if any of them don't wind up going to production, I should be able to unload them for dirt cheap. I can keep you posted if you'd like.
That'd be super! Thanks!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I remember the post you made about the amp when you got it and you seemed really excited. This is a sad day.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did some work on my buddy's JCM 900 4502 combo yesterday and noticed for the first time that he's running EL34s in there. Is that standard? I'm thinking they were sent out with 5881/6L6 tubes? I didn't see any modifications done on the inside but the bias was jacked all the way up. I kinda wanna try it with 6L6s instead, just wondering if that's what they came with in the first place.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is a sweet-rear end guitar.

scuz posted:

Did some work on my buddy's JCM 900 4502 combo yesterday and noticed for the first time that he's running EL34s in there. Is that standard? I'm thinking they were sent out with 5881/6L6 tubes? I didn't see any modifications done on the inside but the bias was jacked all the way up. I kinda wanna try it with 6L6s instead, just wondering if that's what they came with in the first place.

This was a stupid question since Marshall shipped them both ways without a standard. Thanks, additional googling! I'm just gonna start plugging poo poo in and see what works.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Peavey amps, this bad boy just showed up on my local Craigslist: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/msg/4295220717.html

I do not play guitar, but I have been trying to do tube amp repair for my friends. Would this be a decent critter on which to learn the magic of electron manipulation? I figure at only $200 it would be a good place to begin.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

At least they do have a good clean channel. A quick once-over by a competent amp tech can bring a lot out of a HRD, though - both in terms of making the dirt channel actually usable, but also in improving the general responsiveness of the clean channel, replacing the linear pot with a more appropriate taper pot, a little bit of adjustment to the tone stack to help with some flub in the mid-bass frequencies that is amplified (no pun intended) by the speaker choice and construction...
Tell me more about this sort of thing :clint: I just modded a JCM 2203 to accept EL34s instead of the 6L6s it came with to great satisfaction from my guitarist buddy so I feel like I can take on anything. Friend of mine has a HRD 410 and he uses the overdrive channel a lot. While it sounds way better than his SS Marshall half stack, I agree that the dirty channels could use some work.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Been looking for a cheap practice amp for my house and stumbled across this Yamaha B30-115 combo that doesn't work. I know my way around a schematic and am no stranger to fiddling with this kind of thing, but I am unfamiliar with symptoms afflicting amplifiers. Is this description enough to give anyone a clear "stay away" or "yes that's easy" diagnosis?

quote:

here we have a cool old Yamaha 115B Amp. Right now it powers on but does not make any sound. It sounds like the pots are quite dirty as the only sound it does make it some loud crackling/popping when you turn the volume knob. In working condition these are super solid amplifiers, so if you're handy with repair this might be a slammin' deal!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
My Peavey Mark IV head keeps blowing fuses. Pretty sad cuz I spent a long time tryina find one, sent this one in to get services, and then blammo, 5 amp hours later it blows 3 fuses right after another.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Iucounu posted:

I had this issue with my Dual Rec before realizing I was using normal fuses instead of slo-blow fuses. Check the owners manual and see if this amp calls for those
Yep, popped the slo-blow in there and it still went kapow. Gonna get in touch with the dude who fixed it in the first place (he was a Peavey warranty tech for like ~20 years) and let him know what's up. Possible that the cab I have it connected to went haywire somehow, but whom knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well that's a little bit of a story. I bought it thinking it was broken (it wasn't but the speaker I bought with it was), attempted to replace the 30 year old capacitors, but I installed them backwards by mistake. The tech corrected my error and bench tested it for a few hours and everything was working fine.