Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Stayne Falls posted:

For Three Red Lights: A Vox VT50 or 100 would very likely fit your criteria. I have the AD100VTH and it sounds crisp and super clear. I've been thinking of buying an EQ for the FX loop but I'm a picky bitch anyway and honestly it sounds fine.

I'd be a little careful about the Vox modelers. I had an AD100VT combo, and while it did sound really great (by itself), something about the voicing of the amp made it very, very hard to hear in a band situation. A lot of people have said that you need an EQ for the FX loop to really make it audible in a band environment (and it wasn't just my tone/playing that had this problem--when I bought my Hot Rod DeVille, our other guitar player started using my Vox. We had the same problems with him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

Posted this in the Bass megathread but haven't really gotten any answers.

A while ago my buddy gave me his beat up old bass that he doesn't use anymore and I finally got it set up so I can start learning some poo poo on it. Only thing I need now is an amp. I don't mind saving up a bit for it, but I'm mainly a guitarist and I don't gig so all I don't need something super duper and I'd prefer used. My upper budget is probably between $150 and $200. I'd want something with good cleans and I don't need effects in the amp, if I want effects I like buying pedals. I intend on learning a bunch of Silversun Pickups and Cure songs to start out with, and I've got a Russian Muff to provide some fuzz. The Bass is a P Bass knock off. The one other thing is that I love Fender guitar amps so if they have bass amp that fits the bill and is in my budget I'd be all over that. Otherwise, what do you guys recommend?

Maybe take a look at one of the old Fender BXR series amps, if you can find one. I played one for years, and I wish I still had it. You can probably find one used for a pretty good price these days.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Argali posted:

I have a AD50VT that I bought as a practice amp. For that purpose, the amp is great. But as an experiment I brought it to band practice once and cranked it, and it was utterly horrifying.

Supposedly an EQ in the FX loop works wonders.

I had the exact same experience you did, and sold it. The thing was just inaudible and muddy in a band environment, no matter what.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Stayne Falls posted:

I can vouch that an EQ in the FX loop does indeed work wonders. Currently I'm using a GE-7 in that capacity to make the amp not total poo poo. It's decent but I still would rather be able to afford an upgrade.

For what it's worth, I replaced it with a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 + Garmopat customized VOX wah + Big Muff + Line 6 DL4, and I was very, very happy (I play in a spaghetti-western/post-punk kind of group). The DeVille was louder, clearer, and overall more beautiful--and when I wanted it to be, it was uglier than anything I ever got out of the Valvetronix amp.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Conkrad posted:

What is the general consensus on the Fender DeVille? Right now I'm using a Frontman 212r, but I've been considering going in the direction of a tube amp, I don't know about that many though. Plus a used Deville wouldn't break my bank too bad

I've got a Hot Rod Deville. It's very loud. I (guy on left) am using it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmkPSJZ4dt4 with the gain channel on (I don't think I had bought my Big Muff yet, but I might be wrong). I'm using it on this as well (rhythm, not lead, and almost certainly with a Big Muff here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obs8gHlOkXs.

I've been really, really pleased with it.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

Ain't no shame, though really at this point everyone knows they're fake cabs. It'd be easier and cheaper to just build some backdrops if you need the visual.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask: who is that?

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

comes along bort posted:

For trve grim and frostbitten inverted grimness nothing but a VALNØTT will do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WcsV7hQ1V4

Wow. Never heard them before. They remind me a lot of Big Black, but with better production values and more chunka-chunka. Thank you for introducing me to them!

I realize that might be unfair both to them and to Big Black. Either way, I really like them.

El Miguel fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

philkop posted:

Sweet, some good suggestions guys.

I should have specified but I'd need a combo. This amp should be everything my JC isn't, and nothing it is (well, I guess other than being a combo.) I need a lunchbox I can bring anywhere to jam when is too big. (I travel by train often so a small box to jam with my back home friends is essential.)

Great to know there is so much tiny terror love here though. I've thought about one of those before I decided on a combo.

That randal pedal amp is interesting. I'll have to look more into it.

That Vox AD50VT is on the larger side of what I'd like but my god is it cheap. I'll test one out if I see it nearbye.

If I go with the Ibanez, I'll definitely post a vid review.

One thing to keep in mind with the Vox, at least the older models, is that they greatly benefit from introducing an EQ pedal/unit of some sort. When I had an AD100VT, it sounded great by itself, but it just disappeared in a band environment without an additional EQ.