Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have two amps, a vintage 17w bass amp with a 15" celestion and a Blackstar HT-1R. The latter sounds better in terms of tone, clarity and so on but the former sounds 'bigger'. I am considering buying or building an extension cabinet for my HT-1, since the volume is fine but it just doesn't seem to be able to move as much air.

Am I barking up the right tree?

Should I go for 1x12, 2x10 or 2x12? Is there any objective difference or just incrementally 'bigger' sound?

Lastly, do I understand correctly that realistically cab-wattage isn't going to make a huge difference in dB level (at least in the terms we're speaking of here)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

field balm posted:

It would be pretty easy for you to add a jack to the back of your bass combo to use it as an extension cab, if you're so inclined.

I did attempt this, but failed and I'm reluctant to mess too much since it's just on long-term loan to me.

comes along bort posted:

...you get a wider frequency range, which is why the 15" speaker in your bass amp sounds bigger...

I figured it would be something along those lines, I'm glad I'm at least pointing in the right direction

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm having a real crisis of identity with my guitar playing at the moment: I'm enjoying playing more than ever but nothing feels right with my current setup! Sound-wise I'm looking for something between NWOBHM and Motley Crue/Kiss/Skid Row. If possible I'd like the ability to push it into that chugga-chugga Metallica/Megadeth style, and the ability to get that crusty stoner-metal sound is a big bonus. I seem to have gotten myself wrapped up with a totally inappropriate guitar (which is a separate story) and an amp that just can't keep up:

Extension Cab
I've got a blackstar HT-1R which I'm not overly fond of the sound that comes out of the tinny 8" speaker above a very low volume, it's a combination of fizzy and boomy. Having said that, the emulated out sounds great. I think the first point of call to resolve this is to get a 1x12 extension cabinet and see how that handles the amp, probably the Orange PPC112. Regardless of what I'm about to say, this seems like the best course of action - if anyone has specific cab recommendations I would be very grateful. NB: as a HT-1R owner if it's not obvious I'm a bedroom hobbyist.

New Head?
Anyway, once I started down that rabbit hole, I realised that I only really ever use the gain channel, and then always about 75% towards the UK side of the ISF. I started checking out low wattage amp heads that I could use with aforementioned 1x12 and it seems that an Orange Terror series might be a great choice. Untangling the facts from opinions seems incredibly difficult:

- Dark Terror needs to have volume behind the gain not to sound fizzy (How practical is that going to be to lay down tracks in my bedroom (in terms of volume required)
- Tiny Terror is the most versatile from classic rock to metal but would need a boost pedal to get the saturation of the dark terror at high-gain. If I was going for this I'm not sure why I wouldn't grab a Micro Terror instead since I can still use a boost, and it would have a headphone out.
- Wildcard Marshall DSL15H also sounds pretty nice and might play more nicely with my strat and one would think those classic rock bands were more likely to use it.

Headphone-out on my HT-1R has been a lifesaver, but it seems that's only offered on the Micro terror due to the solid state power amp. All of the non-godlike demos I've seen show the DT as far superior to the MT, but in this video the Micro Terror sounds MASSIVE, no doubt due to production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGY76xjZGfs

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That's great to hear, so just to clarify what WOULD the benefit be of a Dark/Tiny terror over a Micro terror for me, if any?

EDIT: Oh jesus I just saw the Jim Root head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS6i-QazpyM

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 7, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

philkop posted:

Aw don't hate on the strat. I played a mexi strat through a vox night train

(http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...9CMy287lo_D_BwE)

Too gainy for me but I feel like its what your looking for. It could benefit from some humbuckers for your style. If it were me I'd pop p90s on for the edgey but crisp sound/

Don't get me wrong, the strat is great for what it does but I've just fallen out of love with it. It's funny you should mention P90's because it was something I was thinking that too because I do like that single-coil bite, but honestly I think having one SSS and one good HH is a priority to fill the spectrum out, and then making up a P90 deficit if one is found.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Loudness Talk!
I've done some tests on my HT-1R. I can get a decent tone when it's about 90db and realistically the loudest I want it to go is 97db (halfway). Through a 1x12 in half power mode, the Dark Terror/Jim Root head is 97db at a quarter of it's volume, and 100db at halfway (102db in in full power mode).

Without a line-out or emulated-out I'm going to need to record with an amp mic, and 15-20 minutes of playtime at that volume causes permanent hearing damage, which doesn't sound all that fun. It certainly defeats the object of having great tone if I can't really crank it above 1/10th on the volume dial while I'm practising.

I would love some insight on this, am I overreacting? As a non-gigging musician is this simply throwing bad cash after good?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

DrChu posted:

Where are you measuring the decibel level at? Where the mic would be positioned or where your ears would be? If its where the mic is, it will be less from where you'd be standing, and if even that feels too loud just stand farther away.

I'm using an iPhone app, with the iPhone sitting on my office chair. While it's probably not as accurate as a dedicated db-meter it's enough to get a general gist IMO.

field balm posted:

Before you get or try a new amp, spend a while on the not-boosted channel instead.

I've got a Bad Monkey, Grunge, Mooer Rage Machine, and a Fulltone OCD and they all definitely perform better on the clean channel, but in general I've found that 'my' HT-1R just doesn't take pedals very well (at least out of the stock speaker) compared to an old 15" 17w tube amp. Almost certainly due to the speaker size, which I'm looking to remedy as a first port of call.

I'm going to revisit the clean channel again tonight and see how things pan out, it certainly gets crunchy and performs better with my HH Yamaha than my SSS Strat.

comes along bort posted:

There's always iso cabs and attenuators, but a lot of the sound and feel of tube amps comes from a certain volume level where the power section clips and the cab is moving air.

100% agreed - the issue is if that feel is gained at a volume level around 90-95db or 100+, the latter of which is unfortunately unacceptable.

philkop posted:

Get some ear plugs if your worried. Also non gigging who records? Are you a studio guitarist? I've thought about doing this since I've always been a Jack of all trades master of none kind of player.

Honestly to me using ear-plugs would be a sign that I'm going in the wrong direction and clearly biting off more than I can chew. I'm not a gigging guitarist but I do like writing and composing. I don't think I'm ever going to be good enough to be a studio guitarist, but I'm trying hard with both guitar and bass guitar and hopefully the latter will open more doors for me.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

iostream.h posted:

It takes a surprisingly small amount of SPL to cause hearing loss, you're so incredibly wrong here that it's not even funny.

I'm very aware of hearing loss issues vis-a-vis concerts and playing too loud, but if I am REQUIRED to play loud enough to possibly cause hearing loss to get a tone out of a given amp (and I won't be gigging with said amp) then then that seems quite backwards, no? I am going to take my HT1-R to the shop this week and try it out with a 1x12, and then A/B it with the different Terrors.

Having said that, a Blues Jr, Marshall DSL15, Terror, OR15, AC15, etc. are ALL 15w amps and CLEARLY not every single person gigs with them, there must be usable tones at home levels, right?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you all for the helpful advice, I went and played through both a DSL15H and a Tiny Terror and both, surprisingly to nobody, were nice sounding even at 'bedroom' volumes, the untenable noise only arrived at >50% volume >60% gain and if it's simply a combination of fine tuning that's fine with me. I appreciate all your tips and suggestions, it has helped greatly.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there an amp or head and cab combo that will do 'the Marshall sound' better than an SL5 for around $500?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there something intrinsically good about the Roland cube that makes jazz guitarists flock to it? Just clean headroom?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yes, if a Cube does the JC-120 thing (minus stereo chorus) then the latter being relatively cheap is a bit of a null point

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm considering buying another amplifier after selling off all of my older ones and swearing onto digital-modelling only, only to find myself playing with a relative and actually wanting to hear myself out loud.

I have gone through a number of amps:

WEM Bass Dominator Mk. 1 -- 18w 15" based on the same schematic as the 18w Marshall stuff. It had a great clean tone and took pedals well. I liked that it had alot of presence and moved alot of air.
Blackstar HT-1R -- Arguably had a better tone when going through a cab sim, but the tiny 8" speaker wasn't doing it any favors. Max volume was about 100db, which is about as loud as I wanted to go but it simply didn't have any depth.
Fender Blues Deluxe -- The raw sound was fine, and it took pedals relatively well but I had to crank it to get it going, which was too loud for my wife.
Marshal SL5 -- The best sounding of the bunch, but at a time when I wasn't playing with other people and sold my mic/interface so it never got used over my BOSS ME-80. The 5w mode was significantly nicer than the 1w mode.

My tone is quite mid-heavy and I quite like working with fuzz, and I like a British sound. With this in mind I'm looking at amps with the following criteria:

- Solid state (i.e. good tone without having to crank it) or Valve pre-amp
- 12" speaker (or 2x12 if head)
- Portable by one person and a car
- Volume appropriate for home practise, rehearsal, small gig (i.e. pub, coffee shop)
- Can play cleans at acoustic-guitar level without distortion
- Less than £500

I believe I have roughly narrowed it down to an Orange Crush CR60. I would like a sanity check if possible?

My alternate thoughts for a dirty sound was the Randall RG100SC but discounted because it's SUCH a specific thrashy tone, or a Blackstar ID260 which I discounted because it is far too much hard work and cork sniffing with different virtual valves and whatnot. I had a thought to get something like the DV Mark Jazz 12 which is a super clean jazzy amp, and then go with purely pedal-based dirt (i.e. Wampler Pinnacle, JHS Angry Charlie) but I think I would be limited more that way. Up for contention were also the Micro and Micro Dark Terror, but both seem to sound quite brittle compared to the CR60.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Many thanks,

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hm, that's on the wrong side of £1000 so a little out of my price range, but it is an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about a rack mounted amp/processor, like a Marshall JMP-1

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I know I'll get a significant volume boost, but is there otherwise a compelling reason to go for a 2x12 rather than a 1x12 in my situation?

A few people have suggested the ID260 may be a better choice since I could in theory dial in the Orange sound AND the Randall sound. Any thoughts?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

You mean apart from the terrors, black stars, etc.?

I had considered an OR15 but it is at very least 1.5x as loud as my Marshall SL5 and that was just a bit too loud cranked for my wife to be peaceful. I guess I do need to play both the OR and the CR myself to get a good idea however.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm really considering getting the Blackstar TVP260 instead of the Crush. The Crush is fine of course, but a 2x12 with an emulated out seems like the best of both of those worlds and it effectively has an effects loop with built in reverb/modulation/etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRDRhdZm9yw

Going by purely objective assessment it looks like the Blackstar wins:

Orange Crush Pro 60
+ Effects Loop
+ Great drive tone
- 1x12
- Squelchy clean tone

Blackstar TVP260
+ 2x12
+ USB connectivity
+ Pseudo effects-loop with Rev/Mod/Delay
+ Decent clean tone

I'm quite jaded about having a bazllion dials, frankly I just want something that does one sound well. From what I can see the Blackstar could be a fire-and-forget amp once it's tuned in but honestly it seems too good to be true.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 21, 2015

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is there something which does the Blues Jr. thing but solid-state or at least hybrid? I am really digging my Micro Dark and 2x12 cab but it just can't do clean tones for poo poo. I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dv_mark_micro_50.htm

But it's pretty bloody rare to find any examples of CLEAN small heads...

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So there are approximately a million hybrid low wattage dirt heads such as the Micro Terror,. are there any fender-style clean heads? I am not precious as for solid state or hybrid.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

My lord, I just hooked up my Micro Dark after a while and it is possessed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF98tl16a7o

Am I going mad? Is this 'just a thing' ? I've had the amp for a hair over 30 days for no-quibble return, but I think this qualifies as a fault for return for replacement or store credit? I think I've totally got the pox with tube amps :(

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Shugojin posted:

.... I'd exchange it at this point since it's the cheapest and easiest option.

peter gabriel posted:

Crapping out tube buddy I reckon

Andertons agreed and even though I was out of return period, we did a thing and

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I played into a Kemper a few weeks ago and I just can't get it out of my head. After playing with some BIAS demos, I'm finding it super hard to justify a move into traditional amp space again. Is it likely we'll see a Kemper II or such like any time soon? I kind of feel like I should wait for the technology to evolve a bit longer and get in on the second wave...

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 29, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So far, but you bet if they announce KPA v2 or Bias head V2 it'll go straight through the floor. I'm trying to tell myself, over and over again that my Orange tranny head and Laney 2x12 is PERFECTLY FINE. PERFECTLY FINE. It's not fully working, but the reason for me getting this solid-state was that I could play quietly and the Victory Countess, Kraken and Friedman Runt 20 are all going to blow my socks off in my little 'studio'.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Fair point - I guess all those failed 'blind tests' would imply something to it.

Shugojin posted:

On the other side of things I'm having a very hard time convincing myself to not just run giggling to Sweetwater to buy a Mesa Rect-o-verb combo come tax refund season

e: Or maybe an express 5 25

I got a tax refund also, which would JUST about pay for a Mesa Mk.V:25 but the heart in me is fighting with the mind (either a) don't need another amp or b) a kemper/axe/bias would make sense)

EDIT: OH GOD MAKE ME STOP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6WCpCke-U0

Only 1hr round-trip to a place with a full stock of Friedmans :happy/sad:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 1, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well I took that 2hour round trip this morning to a store and tested out the Pink Taco, Runt and Mark V:25, thoughts primarily consisted of "Holy poo poo these are all expensive as gently caress" interspersed with the below (all playing through a Creamback loaded Friedman 1x12):

Friedman Pink Taco
The PT has a gain/master volume on a single-channel, with a switch between three levels of gain. It cleans up nicely if you have low output pickups, but even on the lowest gain setting and the gain channel just above zero it was close to break-up (very sweet sounding) - so no real cleans to speak of. The master volume is very good, one can comfortably play at TV-volume levels and/or speak over it without raised voices and still have a really nice sound coming oout. Of course, it does sound better a little louder - pushing it past 5 on the master volume was louder than you'd want in your house. One of the staff apparently owns one (of course, he does ;)) - he's apparently gigged it no problem.

The sound was pure Rock hey-day filth: Whitesnake, Van Halen, Early thrash.

Friedman Runt
I tried the Runt second and I was rather underwhelmed, I felt that the drive sound was a little more raspy and strident than the PT, which was more full. While it did have a clean channel, that certainly sounded very nice - I'm just not a clean channel kinda guy and since the PT cleans up so well it seemed a bit superfluous to requirements.

Mesa Mk V:25
I was just on my way out, and decided that it would be silly not to try the MESA since it was 4' away. It had far and away the best clean sound and a great built-in reverb. Two channels, each with three modes and both pre/post gain EQ, presence, etc. made it seem a little fiddly. Pretty much everything there sounded great. I thought there would be a compromise between the sounds since there are soo many, but honestly they were all wonderful. I got temporarily lost in Metallica heaven - but I'm just not sure that I want "that" kind of drive sound forever as it seemed as though Channel 2's modes were all slight modifications of the same sound. The price really tips it over the edge also - all that versatility when really I just want to plug in, turn on, and rock out.

With that in mind, I'm listing my current head/cab/pedals on craigslist and will pay penance until I can afford one of the three. If there are others I should check out, please do let me know - the Bogner and Suhr stuff appears to be more 70's airy and not so much my cup of tea. I'm only wondering if it might be worth just getting a vintage JCM800 at this point ;)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 2, 2016

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

i have the earlier incarnation of the rectoverb; channel 1 on the pushed setting is much more marshally, especially with a boost or tubescreamer

Is this also one of the channels in the Mk 5:25 ? I appreciate that I only had about 15 minutes to play with it but if I missed that, it could be a deal-maker. What's the big difference between the two?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hm. I'm watching some demos of the MkV:25 vs the Pink Taco and honestly there's not alot in if they're dialled in together. I guess the question is: is that versatility worth an extra £525 when one could just as easily get a Hot Rod Deluxe or similar for the cash.

What made you get the rectoverb instead of the Mark V?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Understood, thank you.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

...which would be an option if we were talking about £300-600 heads, but we're talking about those that are in the £1500 range. I'll need to get a 'real' cab instead of this IRT212 so would be pushing £2250 for the Mesa and £1750 for the Friedman. At that price, I've got to be drat sure.

I've made some minor forays into modern metal and jazz, but really 'my sound' is that cranked Marshall for Guns N Roses, Metallica, Van Halen, etc. I've got this horrible thought that the mere fact the PT does one thing is going to be enough to drive me away, even if I never NEED anything else. I'm going to go on an amp diet and just play through my Orange's dirty channel and just see whether I reach for the channel selector in the next week.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

You guys are the worst budget counsellors. Since we're talking silly-money at this point anywhere, is there anything else I should consider? <15-20w , , cranked Marshall sound either as a lunchbox or 1x12 combo? I guess there's the Victory Sheriff 22?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Does the mere fact we've been talking in semi-serious tones (lol) about amps which cost over a thousand dollars make us all bluesdentists by association? What happened to the downtrodden artiste?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks for the info - I'm not so fussed with it being a one-trick pony (at least now). I've been playing for about three and a half years and that whole time I've really just orbited around a core of sleazy 80's rock; on one end Yngwie and Jason Becker - on the other end Whitesnake and G'N'R. There have been minor diversions into Gypsy Jazz, modern Metal, etc. but honestly that's where my enjoyment lies. For what it's worth, was the Friedman Runt/PT/DS Mini ever in the running for you?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I spoke to the guys at Victory and they would custom-build me a 1x12 Sheriff cab with a Creamback (to be equivalent to the Friedman 1x12) if I got a Sheriff from them. I do understand the Sheriff is more 70's than 80's though and it would appear as though the PT is going to do 'that 80's thing' best. And while it started out as a wildcard, the Mesa, seems like it can do that pretty loving well. That, and the rest.

I'm really quite turned off by the modern metal sound with the gain cranked, but with some decorum all the channels sound great. It also has both reverb, a boost and an EQ built in, which has got to be worth a £150 in pedals if you figure a GE-7, RV-6 and a Micro Amp. And a DI out for recording (precluding the need for BIAS Desktop/etc.) and a headphone socket for when my wife shouts at me to be quiet.

The only thing that is really killing me about this is that the DIFFERENCE between the Sheriff and the Mesa is enough to buy me pretty much any non-boutique amp on the market - but I don't think I could justify two amps in my little home studio to my wife, so better one that does all. I would really appreciate some input on this one :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well I gone and loving did it:

In the shop I spent about an hour simply A/B'ing the runt and the pt over and over again. Thanks to this thread, I wanted to ensure that I could get good sounds at reasonable volumes, with my old amp at home, I measured 35db ambient in my studio and around 69-70db for 'loud enough in my room to sound nice, but not enough to annoy my wife'. In-store it was around 48db ambient and I got stonking sounds at around 70db - so both friedman heads were clearly in the running. I decided to discount the Shirley simply because it's a little TOO vintage sounding for me. Both amps were very responsive to tone and volume, as well as pick attack. The volume is something of a hair trigger especially with the gain all the way up: it is probably 1/8th of a turn from 'off' to a volume you'd watch TV at (maybe I just watch tv quietly!?) but the extremely smooth dial makes that somewhat of a null point and it doesn't skip around.

The PT did clean up with the gain off and the volume backed down on the guitar I was using (a Gibson Explorer, which is the highest output guitar I have) but never really got out of break-up territory. I really hate the audiophile way of describing things because to me it doesn't map to the real world, but I have to agree when someone said it had a high-mid character. The three-way gain voicing felt alot like a band-pass filter being applied, in the low mid, mid or high mids - so it could get that Plexi sound as well as the JCM800 tone.

Runt's controls allowed me to get 90% of the tone in the PT, and with the EQ very, very close. The presence knob got me that strident thrashy sound with the gain dimed, and I could back all the way down to just crispy crunch. While the channel voicing on the Runt is for clean rather than dirty (unlike the PT), the EQ, Gain, Volume, Anti-boost made up for alot of that space. The clean channel is so very, very lovely: notes bloom and decay really nicely. At home, I ran an MXR MicroAmp+ infront of it and I can certainly get it to where the PT was in the shop.

Aside from these difference in that short time I was able to get close enough to not really be able to tell which amp I was playing through, so the Runt came out as a clear winner at a lower price and bigger feature set.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

It's very hard for me to be objective after only a few days, so with that in mind, I had three lines of thought:

My heart says that nobody REALLY wants to be plugged into a computer no matter how much rationalisation they put behind it - it's always because they can't afford or don't want to buy the real gear being modelled, or logistically lugging around massive amplifiers. As the Runt has a power-soak with a DI-out for recording/PA and headphones, it's small enough to carry in one trip anywhere and it sounds like the best amp I've ever played through or heard - it was easy to put those concerns behind me.

My mind says that in reality a modelling solution like a Kemper or Axe-FX can give me ALL the amps with ALL the sounds, etc. - but really I don't want a million sounds. I want to plug my guitar into an amp and make some glorious noise. When I had a Boss ME-80 I barely changed patches at all - it was always 'British Crunch' with a bit of delay, a bit of reverb and bob's your mother's brother. To give you a simile, when I was a kid I used to get one, maybe two videogames a year - no matter how much I begged or pleaded I only got one - so you can be damned sure I played the poo poo out of it and loved it no matter what. As soon as I was able to get pirated games for relatively little cost, each individual game lost its lustre. This is a known thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice

quote:

Schwartz finds that when people are faced with having to choose one option out of many desirable choices, they will begin to consider hypothetical trade-offs... afterwards, it affects the level of satisfaction we experience from our decision...

My wallet says that in 20 years time the Runt is going to be worth the same, in the way that a 1995 Mesa Mark IV is still worth a decent amount. But is a computer? A modeller? A multi-FX unit? I can't predict hoow the future will look upon Kempers and Axe-FX's, but for now I know for me this is a sound long-term financial choice, a good intellectual choice based on my own behaviour patterns of being overwhelmed with options and valuing them all less because of it, and it simply makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Well, it's about the 'wine label' - we all know how much peer pressure, expectation, etc. colour or perception of things. There's no audible difference between hearing an MP3 you've clicked on your beat to poo poo 2007 HP Laptop and an original 60's Beatles Vinyl on a nice Pioneer deck - but the wrapping around those experiences is very different and shouldn't be discounted.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have an internal load box in my Friedman, so I can run it as just a head with an XLR cable. I've sold my audio interface, so it is possible to connect my XLR output into an RCA aux-in on my hi-fi? it would be another nice way of not having to wake the neiighbours and to really be able to crank it (I cranked it a few days ago after months of bedroom levels and MY GOD)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Pokey Araya posted:

Yeah you can do that, no problem. Guitar amps usually sound pretty fizzy through home stereos, so it'll take some creative EQ on both amps.

Excellent. It has both cab simulation and variable mic placement so I'm hopeful.

Cheers!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Katana-100 vs THR10 for livingroom? I'm thinking the latter for my Metallica, Motley Crue, Mastodon, Morbid Angel, Motorhead sounds. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I hasten to add that there's a pub with live music down the road from my new house that hosts rock/metal cover bands, which is why I thought KTN-100 might be useful as dual purpose.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I can nail all of those extremely well with my THR10X.

So why the gently caress does the regular one still exist? For what purpose? (ps. I don't give a shiny bag of poo poo about the acoustic amp model, but have something I can do with bass and clean guitar would be helpful when "recording" aka that thing I always tell myself I'm buying all this poo poo for)

pps. I really hate modern heavy metal