Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've played through pretty much every modern Ampeg bass amp. And I've played through at least one mid-to-upper level model amp from most every major bass amp manufacturer.

My opinions of each would be just that, opinions... but I'd be happy to share with anyone who has questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Plastic Snake posted:

What is your opinion of Markbass? I'm not too set on anything in particular at the moment, I'd just like something versatile and (relatively) portable, and I've heard lots of good things about the Little Mark II (or III).

In my opinion, Markbass is one of the better "modern" sounding amps. Very clean and "uncolored" sounding. Although that's kind of impossible, the general consensus is that if you want to hear the tone of your bass moreso than the tone of your amp, go Markbass. But really, they just have a great, clean modern tone.

They're built solid, have great features for bassists who gig heavily and I've never really heard of any problems with them (aside from some people just not liking the tone). And yeah, the portability is great. They kind of set the trend for the whole micro-head movement in my opinion.

Definitely try one out, but I'm also a fan of Genz Benz in terms of modern amps. Their Shuttle series gets great reviews, and I think they have a great tone.

Can't find any videos of Markbass stuff with this guy, but Ed has done some great reviews of some Genz Benz Shuttle amps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqancBS121M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJYX2Fkpuzg

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 28, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Epi Lepi posted:

I see a couple BXR's up on eBay right now. Couple 15w and a couple 25w. If I go that route should I definitely get the 25w over the 15w or will it not make that much of a difference?

I wasn't planning on going head/cab because I assumed it would be cheaper to get a combo.

If money was no option I would get a Fender amp of comparable quality to the Blues Jr guitar amp I have and love, whatever that may be. But right now I have next to no money and that won't change for a few months. For now I'm using my roommates Rumble 15 when he's not using it.

My first bass amp was an old BXR 200. That thing would punch like a motherfucker.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

I saw Propagandhi play two nights ago and mother fuckin' Todd (their bass player) uses the same amp as I do, but he's got a fridge and I've got a dinky 2x12. Now I want an Ampeg fridge again. :argh:

I want a 2x15 fridge.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

This, exactly. If it's a tube head, you NEED a speaker load. Otherwise the world may come to an end. If it's a solid-state powered head, then you can just use a direct out or any kind of Line-Out provided on the head itself.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Cross-posting from the rear end thread.

Ampeg releasing 50 B-15N flip-top reissues.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

TyChan posted:

Didn't Ampeg always have a version of the B-15 out in one way or another? Maybe the models weren't faithful to the original specs, but I thought they always had one available.

How different is the B-15 preamp stage from a SVT? Given how integral B-15s have been for a lot of 60s music, I thought Ampeg could have made a lot of money by pairing the B-15 preamp to a solid state amp or something like that.

Yeah, they've had some other B-15s, and even have a new line of solid-state Porta-Flex amps, but as far as I know they haven't done a faithful reproduction of the B-15NC or B-15NF.

For the particular construction between the two, I'm not sure. But I know this rendition of the B-15 at least will use 6SL7s in the preamp stage.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

schizorage posted:

I have a relatively simple question about Tube amp impedance and cabinets.

I have an Ampeg Reverberocket head with a switchable impedance of 8 or 16 ohms.
The extension cabinet for the amp is 16 ohms, and is presently hooked up to the main cabinet out (with the amp running at 16 ohms. My question is this: What are my impedance options for the extension cabinet?

Assuming you can disconnect the internal speaker like you can on a fender amp:

Internal speaker @ 16ohms + external cabinet at 16ohms = 8ohms
External cabinet only (internal disconnected) at 8ohms
External cabinet only (internal disconnected) at 16ohms
2 External cabinets at 16ohms each (with internal disconnected) = 8ohms

Pretty sure that's about it unless there's another combination I'm not recognizing.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 9, 2011

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Went out to some antique malls today looking for some side tables for my living room. I found this old TV that someone gutted and turned into an amp. Obviously in pretty rough shape, but drat I hope I can find a tech close by to get it working again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

jwh posted:

Careful, that looks like an AA5 transformerless circuit (if that transformer is an OT).

Don't electrocute yourself.

Oh I'm not doin poo poo to it... I'm taking it to a professional :)