Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all

I've spotted a 6505 combo. I'm very try-before-buy and I haven't given it a shot yet, but on paper, it seems to suit me to a T. A few questions:

A) I play lead and I'm after a real smooth lead tone. I know the 6505 has a loving monstrous rythym tone but I dont know about leads. A Petrucci sorta smooth would be ideal. Is a 6505 more Dimebag than Petrucci?

B) I've got a Peavey Classic 30 which keeps blowing up. Are Peavey's unreliable or have I just managed to catch a lemon?

C) Volume is a concern hence I'm looking at the 1x12 combo. Are these things earth-shakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Okay, might be a dirty topic in the Amplifier Worship thread...

But I'm in the process of setting up my Axe-FX patches.

Now since most METHUL amps have shithouse clean channels (or non-existent...) I'd like to pair up the METHUL amp with the Clean Amp it was originally built from...somewhere down the line before it was turned into an over-saturated chuggy monstrosity. That way I can get a good clean tone, without it sounding like I've just completely switched to a different amp.

In other words, oddly enough, going from a Bogner Uberschall to a Fender Twin for cleans doesn't "feel" right. So it's a bad combination even if each individual tone is half decent.

I know Mesas are basically hot-rodded Fenders. Uberschalls are basically Marshalls taken into absurdity. Does anybody know the "origin" of these other amps?*

Mesa Mark Series = Fenders
Bogner Uberschall = Marshall
Mesa Rectifiers = ?
5150s (of any variation) = ?
ENGL Savage = ?
Diezel Herbert = ?

Kindly note that I rip off Metallica way too much as is to be able to switch to a JC-120 for cleans without immediately making it eye-rollingly obvious who I'm stealing riffs from.

*Yes, I know that I'm oversimplifying the "origin" of these amps, but the clean version of these amps would likely create an appropriate clean "channel" for me to switch to.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

Wikipedia claims that the 5150 is based on the Soldano SLO-100 which is in turn based on the Mesa Mark II. I'll let you decide how truthful any of that is.

That's...unexpected. I always kinda expected the 5150s to be Marshall based 'cos of Eddie. I wouldn't have thought any Mesa would be in its DNA

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

EVH used soldanos for a while and I’ve heard the 5150= ripoff soldano thing before.

That said, I don’t think it’s universal that all hi gain amps have bad clean channels, the mark series cleans are decent.

Also, the fender twin is held up as the best clean ever but it has a particular twangy pokey quality to the kids that I don’t like. The fender deluxe sound is sparklier and closer to my ideal clean as well as providing the basis for a shitload of the amps that decended from it.

If you want your tones to sound consistent from amp to amp I’d just keep the same cab sim.

The EVH being a ripoff of the Soldano makes sense to me. I just didn't realise the Soldano had any Mesa in it.

I actually prefer the kinda glassy Marshall cleans above all else, but switching from a screechy Recto to a Woofy Marshall as a clean doesn't really work. If I'm just going for a straight, awesome clean sound, I've got plenty of options (quite frankly, I like Vox cleans) but it's the switching between the two "channels" where things start to feel off if the clean\metal amps are totally different. I want to try to get them in a similar sort of ballpark. Using the same cab sim doesn't give that consistent tone\feel when switching if the mid response\character is very different. It feels\sounds like you've switched to another amp, whereas I want it to sound like I switched to another channel of the same amp. If you'll forgive me for using such a wanky term, I'm looking for tonal similarities, rather than just "good clean tones"

Shugojin posted:

The Mark series started with modified Bassman circuits and apocryphally so did Marshall amps. Bassman started in 1952 and Marshall was officially established in 1960 so I rate that as at least possible.

I thought it was the Bandmaster, but you're correct. It was the Bassman. Cheers for the tip :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey, dumb question but after doing research online, I've ended up more confused.

I've borrowed a 4x12 Cab from a mate to try some recording experiments. It has ONE speaker input and that's 16 ohms. There are 3 amps I want to play the cabinet through. Which of these amps are safe to play with?

- Mesa Single Rectifier (Speaker Outs: 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm)
- Bogner Uberschall (Switchable ohmage on the back, I can run it at 16 ohms so this one is fine)
- 1970s Fender Bassman (4 Ohm)

I've seen a rather confusing amount of responses to this google question, so some very simple answers would be appreciated before I blow something up :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Loco posted:

You can plug the 16 ohm load by itself into any of those speaker outs. Plugging in a load with lower ohms than the speaker out's rating would be the concern (lower ohms is a more difficult load).

Okay, so at the risk of opening a can of worms:

IF:
Speaker Cabinet has a higher ohmage than the amp I'm using, that is safe.

BUT IF:
Amplifier has higher ohmage than cabs, it could be bad?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

Basically, the amplifier is kicking out a fat stream of power, and it’s expecting to see something substantial to kick against. If it doesent, then it’s just pissing power into the wind/itself in a wanton and dangerous fashion. If it sees a bit more resistance than it was expecting. That’s fine, it just means it won’t be outputting as much volume efficiently.

I think 4ohm into 16 ohm is pushing it though.

Fair cop. In that case:

At the moment I'm recording my amps with the DI from a load box. Load box is 8ohm and has an 8ohm output.

Would there be any issue going:

Amp (4ohm) -> Load Box (8ohm) -> Cabinet (16ohm)

Or would I be better just going Amp -> Cab?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey!

How much effort is it to convert a combo amp into a stand alone head?

Is it expensive?

Is it worth it?

Cheers!

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
The amp I'm considering doing it to is a Marshall Astoria combo. I'm considering turning it into a head.

I don't own the amp (yet), but have put down a deposit :)

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haha! I knew some people would hate me to cut one of those combos up.

The thing is that I've got a silent recording rig where I take an Amp DI into my setup. It's a royal pain in the rear end to do that to combos sometimes. I'd splash out for an appropriate Marshally amp shell, but I'm wondering how much hassle it is to do it in the first place.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I feel like I may be about to accidentally ask a controversial question...

WAHEY! IGNORANCE!

I'm putting together a guitar recording studio. A place where bands can cheaply come get their guitars recorded with real amps\cabs etc. Basically, I noticed that my gear collection got a tad excessive and since I was building a semi-legit home studio for my usage, why not see if other bands want to use it too and maybe I can make some mon-ahahahhahahahaha yeah okay but a man can dream right? The room I'm recording in has been treated acoustically and a bit of sound-proofing, so I don't have to worry too much about volume.

I need a mid-gain amp. Also I'm sure that most clients are going to appreciate walking into a "guitar studio" and to see a Marshall head sitting there. So my plan was to knock off two birds with one stone and get a mid-gain Marshall (IE: Not a JCM800).

Marshalls haven't really been my thing so I've been checking them out using a bunch of amp sims (which I know isn't THAT great of an example, but a decent place to start). I appreciate how well some Marshalls react to your volume knob and clean up nicely without having to mute your guitar. So my initial instinct was to get either a 1987x or a JTM45 because I found it easy to get a real pretty clean tone with those by rolling back my guitar volume, but obviously they'd bark and scream a little when wound up.

However, after listening to a bunch of videos on YouTube, I'm noticing that sometimes, Marshalls have this really harsh, bright, high-mid\treble grind going on (especially super leads) and that's been the "thing" that I haven't really enjoyed about Marshalls. I like it when the Marshall is clean and glassy, edge of breakup, and more of the woofy, open-ended gain instead.

That lead me to looking up the Marshall JVM and there are some big opinions about this amp. The hardcore Marshall nerds seem to hate it (but they also seem to hate anything Marshall made after 1980) but everybody else seems to really like it. The 4 channel versatility thing I can imagine being very useful in a recording situation as well, as it seems to do high gain, but all the other Marshall goodness too. I've heard clips of it get grindy, but it doesn't seem to get as harsh as some of the plexis I've heard.

Obviously at some point I need to go play all these amps, but nobody around me has any of these in stock due to the 'rona. So my questions about the JVM are:

- Does it have that dynamic response to a guitar volume knob that I described earlier?
- Does it do mid-gain blues\rock tones nicely?
- Can it do that Marshall grindy thing if I want it to?
- Are hardcore Marshall nerds wrong and does a JVM actually kick rear end?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Iucounu posted:

JVMs are pretty good all around amps. They can get insanely heavy too if that’s what the kids are into. What makes you think a JCM800 isn’t a mid gain amp? It’s not really a metal amp unless you really boost the front end. The newer DSLs also sound pretty good.

A lot of Marshall icepicky-ness is bad settings or poor micing technique on the cab.

It’s fun to do tracking with a big amp in the room, but I would also strongly encourage you to get a reactive load box and use IRs. The player can still have the feel of the cab flapping their pants but it’s so much easier than worrying about proper micing technique, buying a bunch of mics, and it sounds just as good these days.

Cheers for the advice :)

Between my Recto and my Uberschall, I've pretty much got high-gain sorted. I'm gonna keep my eye out for a cheap 6505 or EVH, but yeah I don't really need the high-gain Marshall thing, which is why I didn't consider the JVM at first.

I've only ever really heard a JCM800 played by Iron Maiden and <insert 90% of 80s Thrash Metal bands here>. I've only heard JCM800s used in that context and to be honest, they never really blew my tits off unless you were actually Slayer. So I guess the real reason why I never considered one is because I haven't heard one that I thought: "gently caress yeah!" about.

I track the guitars with the amp and an IR to get a ballpark sound without hurting anybody. Then once the DI is recorded, I'll re-amp through the amp\cabs. I already have a bunch of mics, and I'm one of those sick bastards who actually enjoys mic'ing up a cab. I find I can get a properly recorded cab to fit way easier in a mix than an IR, even though there's some killer IRs out there.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on throwing a pair of Greenbacks into a Mesa 4x12 so that I've got an X Pattern of V30s and Greenbacks?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've noticed that Vox Ac30 heads are super cheap. As in less than 500 Australian Dollarydoos used.

I have no idea if I'm a Vox guy, but...why wouldn't I want The Beatles\Queen amp for the price of an expensive pedal?

Is there a reason why they're so cheap? What am I missing here? Do they sound like rear end? Are they prone to spontaneous combustion?

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've been working on a big holiday project about how and why the Marshall JVM is good actually.

Plenty of online nerds hate it. Marshall nerds especially hate this amp. I decided I would try to prove them wrong by recording a bunch of music and ranting at them.

So here's a long-form video where I talk about how much I love this amp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1PoTB5-m7Y

But if you don't want to hear a nerd rant about an amp for half an hour and instead wanna hear how kickass the amp can sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5qF04PbRps

There's all the bits of music I recorded for it.

ENJOY.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

syntaxfunction posted:

Hell yeah, amps rule. I didn't know that people disliked the JVM, like yeah, it isn't a JCM800 or JTM45 or JMP or whatever but I wasn't aware it was looked down on. They're stupidly versatile and are very capable of all the classic Marshall sounds.

Honestly for the tube offerings Marshall is in a really good place with the reissues, JVM, Origin and DSL series. And I'm not even stupidly keen on the Marshall sound.

As a Marshall fan, I do admit that the JVM doesn't quite feel like the classic heads. All of those heads make you feel like you're plugging into a small thermonuclear weapon. That rich high-mid attack from one of those classic heads, combined with how goddamn immediate they feel, make it feel like you're using some sort of sonic weapon.

...BUT.

They can only ever do that ONE thing. Across the Plexis and the JCMs, there's a few variations on that ONE THING, and to be honest, that ONE THING is one of the best fuckin' things in the world.

The JVM can 9\10 do ALL of those things, plus more. It won't quite feel the same, but it still feels pretty fuckin' great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the kind words :)

I'm very glad to be finished with this video. I was keen to show that the JVM can kinda do everything really well. Every time I thought I had recorded enough bits of music I went: "Oh wait...it's also great at this..."

I hope listening to me ramble about the amp isn't too dull. I found it dull when editing it...