Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

ruinedhero posted:

In my situation I am looking for a 2x12 combo amp, tube based, for under $1300 that has a great over driven warm distortion sound right out of the package without the need for effect units. From personal experience, what would be a good recommendation?
What kind of stuff do you play?

That price range, plus the 2x12 requirement pretty much rules out Orange (which as GorillaSalsa will attest to that I'm hopelessly addicted) and the AC30 (I have an AC30 head) has GREAT chimey cleans, but I wouldn't really describe the overdrive as 'warm'. Personally, I think the Mesa Boogie Heartbreaker is one of the best 2x12 combos ever made. I've been keeping my eye out for another one for a while again now, barely missed one at the Sam Ash in Atlanta (for $999) but they DO pop up from time to time. Very rich, thick and creamy overdrive that you could push pretty hard if you wanted to, without it ever getting that Dual Rec brittle edge to it.

Right now my favorite amps for gigging and recording are by FAR Orange. Using a Tiny Terror as a studio/practice rig through a 1x12 (using Vintage 30's in everything but my AC30 cab, which has Blues in it), an AD30 through a 2x12 for higher gain recording/gigging and a Rocker100 through either another 2x12 or (very rarely) a 4x12 for HIGHER gain/outdoor stuff. The AC30 is mostly for studio and/or slide work, anything needing a vintagy/grungy 'round' sound. I'm pondering picking up a Soldano SLO, but honestly, I dunno how much better than the Rocker100 it could possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

ruinedhero posted:

Ferrous Wheel - I have really lost much respect for Peavey gear the past few years. While I like the 6505, I've never been able to get a good clean tone the times I demoed it - the metal sound is great but like the Marshall I talked about before, it seems like it is limited to doing one thing really well.
I acquired a 6534+ in a trade a while back (I've offered it up for trade in the other thread, just to see what pops up) and they really went a long way towards fixing the issues with the 6505/5150 line with that one. The cleans are WAY better and the distortion has a lot more variance with an eq section that actually DOES poo poo on this amp.

I like it well enough, my Rocker100 just covers enough ground that I don't really have any need to keep it and overall I like the harmonic richness of the Rocker a lot more.

With the 6534+ you REALLY have to spend some time dialing knobs with ALL your guitars and pedals, it's a very responsive head, for good and bad.

Professor Science posted:

I am completely crazy about my Orange AD30TC.
gently caress yes. I've been semi-tempted over one of those since getting my AD30 head, how heavy is it? Have you compared it's sound to a sealed cab? I just wonder about it being semi-open if that added any 'woof' at higher volume.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 7, 2010

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

The Mystery Date posted:

Seconding microcube. The battery life is long as hell. I left it on without plugging it in overnight one time and it was still going in the morning. It's also so small you can clip it to your belt and walk around and busk with it.
Yup, I noticed it seemed to be the amp of choice for the New Orleans buskers recently.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Three Red Lights posted:

I have an aversion to 5150's. Maybe its enirely irrational but nah.
Entirely irrational man, seriously, they fit your criteria to a 'T'.

If you don't want the '5150' badge, try a 6505.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Gramps posted:

The new 6534+ sounds great too- just a 6505 with el34s and a few things slightly tweaked. Highly recommended.
That's one of my current heads actually (I think I listed it earlier in the thread). I love it.

I STILL don't EVER miss my old 5150 combo. Great amp, what a ballbreaker when you have to move it tho'. I would have definitely done the 'head conversion' had I kept it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

DarkEnigma posted:

I hate nu-metal, hardcore, breakdowns...all of that poo poo. I play old school death metal. This amp is great for it.
I accidentally brought mine to a country/classic rock gig recently (yeah, long story don't ask haha) and learned that the clean channel takes pedals amazingly well. It was quite useful (if totally overpowered) for the job, if not optimal.

Cranking the clean channel and throwing a Zvex Fuzz Factory through it into a 2x12 sounds glorious.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Boz0r posted:

I've been looking at the Orange Tiny Terror combo.
How would that work for playing 80ies hard rock, and how large a gig would it be insufficient for?

EDIT: It should be noted that at the time I always use the clean channel on my current amp and use a couple of pedals to get the sound I'm looking for.
I've gigged my Tiny Terror head through an Orange 1x12 and their 2x12 with no issues. Just mic it for anything larger than a coffee shop and you'll be fine. Being able to really push that amp (since they're only 7-15 watts) makes them sing. As far as playing 80's hard rock, it's loving perfect.

Uhh, I just noticed you want a clean channel, you might want to look at something else, the cleans aren't really anything 'clean'.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Boz0r posted:

Sounds perfect. I only use the clean channel on my current amp because the overdrive channel sounds like hairy balls.
Oh well if that's the case then yeah, rock on with the TT.
If you DO need cleans, check out the Dual Terror.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Picked up a Mesa Rectoverb Solo 50 and a Fender Twin Reverb today. Haven't had much time to put into them yet, but the Mesa's impressed the hell out of me already.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Does anyone have any opinions on Granger amps?
I'm absolutely regretting selling off my Silver Jubilee and was talking about it to a friend earlier and he pointed me towards them (plus they're local) and either their SLO 100 or the AFD variants looked and sound kind of interesting.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

loving hell, went to pick up a rockerverb 50 and there's a drat silver jubilee here.

Quick, opinions?

Edit: gently caress it, I miss my old jubilee too much to pass it up.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 24, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

scuz posted:

Hokay so there's a Marshall JCM 900 4502 2x12 combo up for $500 at my local shop. It would be replacing a Peavey VK100 + JCM 900 4x12 and play alongside a DeVille 4x10. How would this hold up? The combo is a must-have, and we just can't get the VK to sound good. We've decided that the options are that 4502 combo, or get a JCM 900 and put it on a 2x12 cabinet, but we'd prefer the combo.
I beat the holy gently caress out of one of those for a couple of years, the only real issue I had was the tube sockets getting a little loose, no big thing.

I gotta ask tho, why would you prefer the combo?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

scuz posted:

Portability. The lovely half stack is such a pain to haul around and we play out weekly. Everyone else has a great-sounding compact setup, so why not this too? :shobon:
I should probably qualify myself by saying that I swore off halfstacks a few years ago in lieu of 2x12 cabs.

I like the versatility of head + cab (but I have a variety of heads and cabs, so that may be just me), they seem easier to transport than most combos (even if they're somewhat unwieldy). Bear in mind, I think the last combo I hauled around was a Peavy 5150, so there's that.

I also prefer cabs because the open backs on most combos tend to sound a little anemic compared to a nice sealed 2x12, plus, depending on the venue you can turn a sealed cab around to avoid laser beaming the audience and to keep the sound guy happy. Turning an open back around to do that tend to get a little woofy and can screw the mix up on stage. All this depends on what you're doing, of course.

That said, I liked the sound of my JCM 900 combo, I stuffed the back area full of pillow stuffing (grabbed from Wal-Mart or somewhere similar) to make it a little more responsive, that helped a lot.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

nrr posted:

One of my buds has a JCM900 hi gain dual reverb head and JCM800 lead series 4x12 cab he wants me to sell for him. Any idea of what price I should be aiming to put them at? I'm up in Canada if that makes any difference
Be aware that one particular model (I think the Mk5) is somehow more desirable than the others and is apparently worth a chunk more. I could be totally wrong but I swear I read something about that recently.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Revvik posted:

Guy on my craigslist with a Rectoverb combo looking to trade in for an Orange / Marshall / Fender / Vox. I've got an AC30 - comparable price range & power - and I do love Mesa stuff. Also a little redundant since I also have an AC4. Anything bad about the Rectoverbs compared to their higher dollar offerings?
Not that I know of, I loved mine, it has a wide range of tones and held up well to being tossed around a lot.

INCREDIBLY picky about tubes, like most Mesas.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Revvik posted:

I went for it. Gets great tones at sane volumes and cranks to match my AC30 for volume. Though I guess since I can play at home with it I can liquidate my AC4. And probably all my distortion pedals because, drat Mesa!

Dude who got my AC30 rocked a Jazzmaster into it with some great sounds, so he's happy too!
Hell yeah, grats man!
Take some time, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and learn how the EQ on that thing works. Mesas sometimes get a bad rap over them because they're sort of 'linked' in a way and it confuses people for some reason. Once you figure it out it's AMAZINGLY versatile and you can pretty much use that amp for damned near ANY genre of music.

I've actually been looking at them again (even though I picked up a nice head recently) just because they're loving perfect for throwing in the truck to go jam or something. I miss mine a lot.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Humbucker music has the best pricing I've ever seen on Orange equipment.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Francostein posted:

Sounds exactly like the jcm800, and I love that amp. I'd like something that has two channels but at this point I don't care too much. Semi related: on eBay there's a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab with included flight case for 475+whatever for shipping. Do you guys think that's a good deal? I'm currently not feeling it that well so I doubt ill pick it up.
That actually sounds like a pretty good deal to me if the flight case looks to be solid.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

What if it's a 4x12 with Alnico Blues? Or does having the ideal sound mean it absolutely needs to be a 2x12?
The Alnico Blues are the key part, having a 4x12 is just adding some bass and a bit of overall volume.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Chalets the Baka posted:

More concerned about reliability issues than tone, since I plan to do some modifications to it anyway.
I had an AC30CCH for a while and it was pretty reliable and not a huge deal to change tubes on or anything (watch out for the wire to the reverb tank, it's in a weird spot and you'll yank it out when you pull the chassis if you're not careful). Don't however vomit a mixture of Jagermeister and Soju into it. They don't like that.

I've just got to say, I've been through an utter shitload of amps (I've been playing for almost 30 years now) and I've never been as happy with one as I am with my Jubilee. I kicked myself after selling my first one for so long, kept going through amp after amp, mod after mod and now that I've got another one I'm just so satisfied. When you find 'the one', don't loving be a dumbass and sell it, seriously.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

seat chafe posted:

My plan right now is to build a 1x12 isolation cabinet with a celestion speaker, so that i can record it in my apartment. Does anyone have experience with isolation cabinets?

Edit: Should I go with a power attenuator instead?

Also, El Gat.
I've yet to see an iso that wouldn't get you evicted pretty quickly. Power attenuators too, maybe some sort of DI cab sim system would be your best bet (I think some new attenuators can do this).

There's just no real way these things ever work out well in an apartment.

Edit: Haha, this just reminded me of living in the Army barracks, we had an ADA unit across the quad with a HORRIBLE band one weekend so we shoved each of my 4x12s into a window facing them and I replaced their guitar player for a while. At the time it would have been either a JCM800 or a 900, fun days back then, we were dicks, but it was hilarious.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 25, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

seat chafe posted:

With a power attenuator like the THD Hot Plate, I should be able to run the head without a cab at all, and line-out into my computer.
I was thinking of something like that, just didn't remember if it worked like I was thinking or not. That's your best bet I think.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah, even without haggling that's not an 'omg scam' price for that rig.

I honestly don't get why an AC30 would ever exist WITHOUT Alnico Blues, but different strokes I guess.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Remulak posted:

Rule of thumb is that a 15 Watt SS amp is roughly the same loudness as a 5 watt tube amp.
Yeah, I'm having this argument with a guy with some Line6 combo who's trying to figure out why his 100w Line6 doesn't sound as loud as my head.

I honestly think it's less with wattage and tubes/ss and more to do with the fact that those ss amps just produce less of the sound spectrum overall, less 'harmonically rich' maybe, and that's why they're perceived as being much quieter. Maybe, anyway.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

What's your budget and what/where will you be playing? I lean towards the Orange AD30 as being the damned near perfect gig amp myself.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

jwh posted:

15 watts is going to be pretty loud, but if you're looking for a clean platform with which to put effects on, it should be just great.
Yeah, I've gigged a bit with my old Tiny Terror and it gets a LOT louder than you'd think. It does NOT, however, handle pedals or clean tones very well at all.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Francodipshit posted:

How does the tiny terror sound for metal? I was thinking of getting one but I think just manning up and getting a 6505+ or a ENGL Fireball with a 2x12 cab would be better for playing with a dummer or live. I know the 6505+ is built like a tank though.
Eh, for live work with something in front of it, it worked out fairly well but if you're considering either of those other two amps I wouldn't think twice.

The beauty of the TT isn't that it compares favorably to a 6505+ or ENGL, but that it works well enough and takes like 1m14s to set up pre-gig.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

rt4 posted:

Also check out the very similar Vox Night Train

That one gets some pretty cool cleans.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

What do I want to do for a boost on my Jubilee? Rat, Tube Screamer, BBE clean boost, something else?

Someone else decide, too many options. I have a gift cert that needs spending.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comes along bort posted:

The diode clipping stage upsets the corksniffers and bluesdads. They're perfectly fine.
That's reason enough to buy one, right there.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Not empty quoting this.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

field balm posted:

Turn up your mids while you're at it too!
Dear God this. Why are people so scared of that middle knob???

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

comes along bort posted:

The 900 has a slightly different tonality from a boosted 800 though, which along with some quality issues is why a lot of people stuck with the older model. The first "serious" amp I ever played through was my cousin's 900 50w combo. No matter what you played it came out sounding like Morbid Angel.

Technically the Silver Jubilees were the first Marshalls with a diode clipping stage, and boy howdy do the same butt pirates who scoff at diode clipping cream their shorts over Slash's tone. Probably think he recorded all those songs with Les Pauls too.

Scooped guitars with bass taking up a lot of midrange is actually pretty common in some death metal like Dying Fetus and Nile. It works really well in specific contexts.
I know several guys who'd rather run modded 800s v/s the 900s due to (apparent) reliability issues, mainly with the tube sockets I think. I've never had an issue with the couple of 900s I've owned, but I dunno.

Yeah, believe me I know about the diode bullshit on the Jubs. Mine's everything from 'not a real Marshall' or someone ALWAYS feels the need to inform me that AFD was recorded with a modded Super Trem (or whatever, something like that, I don't understand why people need to tell me what was used on that album, and I LOVE AFD, just because I'm using a Jub) or that (and this is my favorite) 'Slash doesn't use P90s' (I don't understand why this even matters, I'm not in a Slash cover band) and on the other hand a lot of people absolutely flip their poo poo over it. It's a great amp, not the holy grail for everyone (although I absolutely love it) but again, I dunno. I don't get people sometimes. It's a rather uncommon amp, but especially in this day and age of such choice in EXCELLENT clone makers (Ceriatone's Jubilee clone sounds INCREDIBLE) there's no reason to really spaz on ANY particular model from any maker.

It may be common in death metal or whatever, but for an average bar band playing on Fri/Sat at the local hotspots mids HELP so people can freaking HEAR you. People comment all the time about how quiet my rhythm player is when I drop out to play lead and the problem is, I'm NOT any louder than he is, we're both at roughly the same level, he just has absolutely no presence to his sound.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

If you want loud I've got a Bugera 333 I can hook you up with for around your budget. It's actually a drat fine sounding head.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

We may be able to work something out, let me poke around a bit on amazon.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Francodipshit posted:

Or is there some other dumb poo poo I'm not including like "start her up on a variac so you don't blow a tube" or something?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Francodipshit posted:

But seriously, other than basic electronics safety poo poo is it really as easy as "pull tube out, put new tube in, play amp" because some of the instructions I've googled are either that simple or are incredibly spergy about the whole affair.
I rarely worry about biasing my practice/knockaround amps, my gig amps I'll bias about once a year maybe, it just kind of depends on my mood or if something sounds weird. I try to stick with the same tubes just SO I don't have to worry about it much. Granted, if I were in a studio I'd probably do it more often or whatever.

Once you know how your amp runs it's not a huge deal, you kind of learn how it reacts and you can generally tell if something's off.

Edit: Incidentally, for tube amps, power conditioners ESPECIALLY in random venues, are amazing things.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 26, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

Yeah this isn't true.
For Halogen bulbs it is.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

gargamale posted:

Email me at gargamale at gee mail if you get any bright ideas. Goons sure are awesome!
Ah-HA! I was convinced I'd lost your PM or something or this was in the gear trade thread, shooting you an e-mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Cool Blue Reason posted:

Lol dude is selling a 70's Bassman 10 for 150 bucks on craigslist. Says there are just some "minor issues with the master volume". Is it just me or should something like this be going for a lot more? I'm kind of skeptical. I'm pushing him for more info about the problem right now.
If it powers up, buy it.