Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Oh sweet, 8 more hours I can sell back for retirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

It's a remote, HR adjacent position, so Im not clear on how much I'd be summoned to the front lines in person.

I asked them to clarify which job posting this was for, as I've applied to several since last summer with different grade levels, and the job title in the interview email doesn't match any of my applications. The response was just "at this time I do not have that information." That's promising!

And Internet people seem to be saying they you're summoned to regional offices for staging. I wonder how/if that affects where a remote employee can live?

Definitely my worst interview to date! It wasn't the position I had thought (and had asked to confirm... which they wouldn't do??). It was similar enough and I didn't let on, but they asked about my experience with several statutes that I know little about. I was in full spin mode at a few points regarding the applicability of my experience. I'm not totally unqualified, but definitely a poo poo show compared to my last couple interviews.

The good news is I don't really want the job! which means they'll probably offer it to me. At this point I'm not declining any interviews because I figure it's valuable practice and insight.

I didn't know second interviews were a thing, but I had one for a potential promotion Yet it'd be in DC for a massive agency (Treasury) and probably a weak telework situation. Not sure I'm ready for that move right now anyway.

I was also asked if I could provide a sample of my writing from my current job, and I had to say that I don't think I'm authorized to share that work product, even with redactions. Oh well

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 2, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Our office lost another two people this week. We are very much starting to strain under the workload. We're now almost at 50% staffing vs pre-COVID.

We have fantastic management in the office (seriously, best collection of supervisors I've ever worked under) who knows the score, but tensions are already rising about timelines and workloads.

I'd been idly looking for a GS-12 slot in contracting in the area, but at this point I'm looking for the door from SSA and pondering whether I'd take a lower grade job to do it.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

From reddit:

What is the maximum amount of time you would feel comfortable pooping at work before you fear you might be suspected of timecard fraud?

I am just over 3 years into my fed career, and I have never once pooped at work. I have felt the urge to many times, but I always end up holding it in until I get home. Truth is I'm afraid that my excessively time consuming bowel movements would be viewed by some as purposely wasting time, but it legitimately takes me 40 minutes to an hour plus to do my deed. I have been perscribed extra strength stool softeners but I always have a bad reaction to them, so I no longer take them. Follow up question, has anyone ever heard of extra bathroom time being granted as a reasonable accommodation?

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Tell them you have IBS and I think they have to by law.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Could someone help me understand the actual decision process, specifics and barriers to having an opening, let alone an opening available to the public? Take GD_American's post above: there's a grand total of one (1) public opening in the entire SSA right now. There's a total of nine openings.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Hey man, thanks for all of that good info. I got really lucky with the position. The job req wasn't posted on usajobs, they had direct hiring authority. My coding bootcamp is only for vets and they got us a meeting with the hiring managers which was a great opportunity. I'm excited to start my career with the feds and that's great that my mil service adds so many extra perks. I'm not sure which rank they'll give me but even if it's the lower of the two (gs9) the salary's still $66k which is totally fine. I'm also looking forward to that work life balance too. I'm not interested in overtime at all anymore.

It was super weird, they scheduled me for an 'informational meeting' and that was the only interview I had. I also didn't even know what the job description or the job title was when I interviewed for it. I guess I made a good impression though so it worked out.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 3, 2024

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Discendo Vox posted:

Could someone help me understand the actual decision process, specifics and barriers to having an opening, let alone an opening available to the public? Take GD_American's post above: there's a grand total of one (1) public opening in the entire SSA right now. There's a total of nine openings.

Agency is in a hiring freeze and claims to not have the budget for any new hires. (And dipshit O'Malley is triggering another mass exodus with forced RTO)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Plus there isn't a real budget passed yet. Some agencies are hesitant to fill vacancies until the actual budget is passed. Good news is a lot of Feds are retiring....

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!
My agency/division/section has certainly been making it known that it's gonna be a lean year budet-wise even if/when we get one, hiring is definitely gonna be difficult this FY.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
The large annual raises these past few years have put most agencies in a really tough position since congress is very unlikely to increase the salaries/expenses appropriations for most agencies. So your typical agency is probably making it work through attrition.

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Beerdeer posted:

Secretary of Homeland Security just gave 8 more admin leave hours for “employee appreciation day”

Did he really, almost sounds like an early April fools. "Employee appreciation"

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Mayorkas (DHS sec) gives them out like candy. I'm not sure I've used any AL in a year or two.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I think I'm using 64 hours of his admin leave during my 2 months of pre retirement leave. Plus about 80 hours of LWOP. I'm so far over the pay cap, I can take 20 hours a pay period and my paycheck is the same.

Did you know that when you sell back your annual and restored leave on retirement, the biweekly pay cap is applied? I didn't know that until one of my friends retired, sold about 5 pay periods back and lost a bunch to the cap. I think I'll be selling about 220 hours back.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'm so far over the pay cap, I can take 20 hours a pay period and my paycheck is the same.

I don’t understand what leads to this comment. you’re saying feds can take hours off without using leave and without losing money if their base pay is beyond some cap? so you could work less than 40 hours a week with no consequence and without using vacation, despite being salaried?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah. I'm a 15/6 in a high cola area plus premium pay and biweekly pay capped at 191k. If there wasn't a pay cap, I'd be getting about 230k.

So I could theoretically take off every Friday as leave without pay and my paycheck would not be affected. Some agencies allow their senior employees to take a day or two of LWOP off.

Mine didn't allow it (my boss said I needed to consider the "needs of the agency"). But I got it approved as part of my retirement leave memorandum.

E: As an added bonus, the USG will conveniently inform you how much you didn't make due to the cap on each paystub. My last one was:

code:

OVR EARN LIMIT $ 1758.40

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 2, 2024

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

pmchem posted:

I don’t understand what leads to this comment. you’re saying feds can take hours off without using leave and without losing money if their base pay is beyond some cap? so you could work less than 40 hours a week with no consequence and without using vacation, despite being salaried?
The amount you can make as a Fed is capped at a certain value. If you make more than that on annual basis then it gets applied to each paycheck. So if you make enough on an hourly basis you get the cap applied to so many hours per week that those hours are essentially unpaid. If you take them leave without pay then you're not actually losing any pay.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ah, okay. but from evil spongebob's comment it sounds like you still need permission from your boss to take those hours off? so it's not really a free-and-clear "i can work less than 40 hours a week" thing -- because lol good luck finding a boss who's gonna grant that every month, unless feds have infinite luck i guess

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Depends on the agency. Some are liberal with the LWOP. Others are strict. Mine leaves it up to the immediate supervisor and I struck out because, well, we needed to stay near the bottom of the worst places to work survey.

There are some instances when an employee is entitled to LWOP such as family friendly leave.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/leave-without-pay/

But it is a way to help ease the pain of the pay cap.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yay accruing 6h/pp now

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Depends on the agency. Some are liberal with the LWOP. Others are strict. Mine leaves it up to the immediate supervisor and I struck out because, well, we needed to stay near the bottom of the worst places to work survey.

There are some instances when an employee is entitled to LWOP such as family friendly leave.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/leave-administration/fact-sheets/leave-without-pay/

But it is a way to help ease the pain of the pay cap.

I read about that strategy on Barfield's blog a while ago and plan to try it when/if I hit the point that I'm perpetually capped out. That's a ways away though, would require a combination of step increases and me getting at least one more competitive promotion.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Seamonster posted:

Yay accruing 6h/pp now

I didn't realize my time as a seasonal counted towards overall time in the government, so that was a very welcome surprise when it kicked in for me last year after only 8 months as a permanent.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I didn't realize my time as a seasonal counted towards overall time in the government, so that was a very welcome surprise when it kicked in for me last year after only 8 months as a permanent.

I gotta see if USCIS will take my time working as a seasonal with the IRS. Probably not, but a man can dream.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Dammerung posted:

I gotta see if USCIS will take my time working as a seasonal with the IRS. Probably not, but a man can dream.

I don't see any reason they wouldn't. All that should matter is time in federal service.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

grenada posted:

The large annual raises

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Atahualpa posted:

I don't see any reason they wouldn't. All that should matter is time in federal service.

Yeah, creditable service doesn't depend on which agency you worked for or where you are now.

Thesaurus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 3, 2024

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Atahualpa posted:

Thesaurus posted:

Yeah, creditable service doesn't depend on which agency you worked for or where you are now.

Thank you, this is good to hear! I'm anxious about that and my time with FEMA, which I don't think I'd get away with because it was on an intermittent basis. I'll reach out to HR after I pass BASIC and find out more. (Not that I want to jinx myself, but I'm confident in myself as long as I buckle down.)

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

grenada posted:

The large annual raises these past few years

Yah it's worth pointing out, none of us should be satisfied with these raises the past few years, they're better than a kick in the balls but they still continued the now 2+ decade long run of federal pay not keeping up with inflation.

The total raise, not counting locality adjustments, for 21-24 was 12%, for social security and pensioners that same time period saw a 19.1% increase, the actual reality is a bit worse when you consider the compounding affect. If you're still climbing the ranks and are still getting yearly step increases then on an individual level you may be keeping up with inflation but once you've reached your peak or stall out for more than a few years you will be losing ground. There's nothing any of us can individually do about that but its still worth speaking up and acknowledging, the status quo is not okay and we should not be signaling we're satisfied.

Edit: Grenada is still of course right though about the affect this is having on agency budgets, even if our pay is not keeping up with inflation the fact that congress is constantly fighting over how much to cut budgets rather than keep up with inflation means agencies are getting hit from both sides.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 3, 2024

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elem7 posted:

Yah it's worth pointing out, none of us should be satisfied with these raises the past few years, they're better than a kick in the balls but they still continued the now 2+ decade long run of federal pay not keeping up with inflation.

Preach, brother.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elem7 posted:

The total raise, not counting locality adjustments, for 21-24 was 12%, for social security and pensioners that same time period saw a 19.1% increase, the actual reality is a bit worse when you consider the compounding affect. If you're still climbing the ranks and are still getting yearly step increases then on an individual level you may be keeping up with inflation but once you've reached your peak or stall out for more than a few years you will be losing ground. There's nothing any of us can individually do about that but its still worth speaking up and acknowledging, the status quo is not okay and we should not be signaling we're satisfied.

Edit: Grenada is still of course right though about the affect this is having on agency budgets, even if our pay is not keeping up with inflation the fact that congress is constantly fighting over how much to cut budgets rather than keep up with inflation means agencies are getting hit from both sides.

I was hoping the previous administration would be dumb enough to forget the FEPCA wavier one year but we didn't get quite that much chaos.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Midjack posted:

I was hoping the previous administration would be dumb enough to forget the FEPCA wavier one year but we didn't get quite that much chaos.

There's always the next one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

There's always the next one

I wish we could have that silver lining if it happens again. It was the sort of bullshit that could only ever happen at the very beginning, everyone involved has been around long enough to make it part of the routine.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Federal salary raises not keeping up with inflation OR market rates is a feature, not a bug. We tell ourselves it’s worth the sacrifice for work/life balance…but are we delulu?

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Annual raises not keeping up with inflation has been partially (very partially) offset by grade inflation. Fully 67% of feds on the GS scale were GS-10 and above in 2020. For those of us jammed into larger hierarchical organizations where (at least by tradition) the supervisor has to be at a higher GS level then the supervisee, its a pretty big distortion.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

sparkmaster posted:

Annual raises not keeping up with inflation has been partially (very partially) offset by grade inflation. Fully 67% of feds on the GS scale were GS-10 and above in 2020. For those of us jammed into larger hierarchical organizations where (at least by tradition) the supervisor has to be at a higher GS level then the supervisee, its a pretty big distortion.

I'm genuinely curious, do you know what that number was in 1990?

When one of the things the Biden administration said coming in is they want to tackle federal "pay compaction" I thought it was related to the fact the first 5 levels of the GS scale have been made nearly extinct as a result of Federal pay not keeping up with inflation, and so many people get shoved into the 11-12-13 range for the last 20 or more years of their career. I think it ended up referring to all the high locality GS-15s stuck at the pay cap though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Don't worry, some agencies are dedicated towards keeping the lower band of the payscale alive!

:negative:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I saw something like a GS-04 career seasonal position at a remote NPS site being advertised a month or so ago and my first thought was "How the hell are you supposed to stay alive"

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I saw something like a GS-04 career seasonal position at a remote NPS site being advertised a month or so ago and my first thought was "How the hell are you supposed to stay alive"

Tents are a helluva lot cheaper than houses and you've got all of nature's bounty to harvest. It's not homelessness, it's a lifestyle choice

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think you live in whatever quarters they provide on-site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Star Man posted:

I think you live in whatever quarters they provide on-site.

Still have to pay for those! And hope the local rent isn't too high. I've heard the poor fuckers at Grand Tetons have to pay rent commiserate with Jackson, which is absolutely insane. I paid ~$400 a month to live in a two-room shack in the woods in the Sierra Nevada, and I was lucky since that was the price for shared housing and I never got a roommate - it would have been twice that if I'd had the gall to demand 250 square feet of personal space.

e: could have been worse though, at least I had cell service and an actual roof. Folks in another, more remote part of the park were living in literal tent cabins.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 5, 2024