Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

IRS Goon here. Go ahead and add me to the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Carlton Banks posted:

Yeah I just got that, too bad. On the bright side, I got an offer for a state auditor job this afternoon, so at least that will tide me over until another IRS opportunity comes along :unsmith:

Rumor in my office is that we shouldn't expect anything with a hiring date during this fiscal year. In other words, the next RA class would start in October if not later.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

psydude posted:

Step 1: Apply for federal job.
Step 2: Get a normal job.
Step 3: Get call to interview for federal job 18 months later.

Step 1a: Forget you ever applied for the federal job. This is the best thing you can possibly do.

When I got hired on, I applied in Oct 2009 and was hired in April 2010. This was before the budget cuts, and it still took 6 months.

Between sequestration and no annual budget, a lot of the current postings are "we would really like to hire people but we don't know if the funds exist."

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

After applying for a federal position, the first thing you should do is forget that you ever applied for it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

dalliance posted:

Hey y'all,

I was just notified that I have a phone interview for a State Department internship next week. Any tips on acing the interview? I've never done a phone interview before.

Review the job app and make sure you're ready to discuss any experience or skill that you marked, especially if your resume doesn't make it clear where that experience came from.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I applied to this listing a while back and was referred, the app is still showing that as the status.

I realized today, while searching, that the same job announcement number (but different control number) is also listed here with some differences: 'FEW' vacancies vs 1 vacancy, and an open period of June 10-September 24 instead of June 10-June 24. Both are for current/former federal employees and other eligibles, and have the same hiring officer listed.

Should I apply to this new listing as well? Or is it all going to the same stack of applications?

Apply to both. Apply internally and externally if they are listed separately. Even if the same hiring official is listed the apps may be reviewed by different individuals or may have different criteria behind the scenes.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Out of curiosity, what agency and series would this be?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yes, you can reapply, but I believe you have to apply externally. Whether you have to repeat training is up to management. I've seen it go both ways.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Doctor Bovine posted:

I'm applying/interviewing for federal jobs and have another interview next week. If the past is a good predictor of the future, I will not be extended an offer. However, in the event that I am, how much negotiation is possible when it comes to salary and vacation? The internet tells me that there are only 13 days of vacation annually for the first three years of federal service, which is then bumped to 20 days . I've done both Peace Corps and AmeriCorps -- is it at all possible to leverage that?

Don't forget the 13 days of sick leave and federal holidays. It works out to 36 days off and is wonderful.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

I'm in the 6 hour band and it is nice. Especially when they gave us the extra 4 hours at the end of the year.

So am I. It's amazing how quickly it adds up, even with the amount of unscheduled leave I've had to take this year (wife had appendicitis, grandma died, etc.).

I also work from home three days a week. It's glorious.

Now if they would stop cutting my agency's funding (IRS).

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Just make sure you keep track of the new 1,067 unique username and password combinations you now have.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Tailored Sauce posted:

I am looking for a job where the people I work with don't hinder progress, are open to change and can adapt to the newest technologies. In other words not looking for a job where I'm working with Win2003 or XP and just constant "internal politics."

Given that you just described government IT to a T, I'm not sure exactly what you'd expect to accomplish by moving to federal work.

The White House has very little say over IT policy when it comes down to it. You're better off looking at how individual agencies run. But expect to not have any real say without being in upper management.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Hey thread, I have a fairly specific pay grade question. I have a JD, but haven't passed a bar- instead I went straight into a PhD program. I'm planning to apply for federal work sometime after I get my degree, in a position that doesn't normally require a legal background. A relative who worked for the Feds a few years back thinks that having a law license translates into some sort of automatic bump in pay grade. Is there such a thing, does it require the degree or a license, and how screwed am I trying to get a federal government job with my JD and social science PhD?

I've never heard of a JD pay bump. And I have a JD and passed the bar.

I don't do legal work. I've met a lot of other ex-lawyers as well.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Did they ask what you made at your last job? You can, and should, include annual bonuses in the amount you tell them.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There's no harm in calling them and countering with what your total pay was. Be ready to show proof, and also be ready for them to tell you no.

I've seen it go both ways.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Basically you just make your salary. You can argue for steps, but that isn't to helpful if your going to get grade soon. E.g if you're on a grade 7-9-12 track I think a 7 step 10 makes less than a 12 step 1 so your "raise" functionally disappears in a year.

To stress how true this is, here's how the promotions and pay would go in the above example, following the 2 step promotion rule:

GS 7 step 10: 51,437
GS 9 step 5: 54,855
GS 11 step 1: 58,562
GS 12 step 1: 70,192

Basically, even if you can max out your first year salary, that advantage is gone in 2 years. It's still more money, but don't sweat it if the agency says no to the step increase when you hire on.

I was actually a GS 5 step 00 for a year. I transferred from a GS 9 position to a GS 5, but with better pay potential (auto ladder to 12, can go up to 15). I made more as a 9 than the GS 5 max, so I was put on pay retention (step 00).

In fact, it's been exactly 2 years. I got my 9 back today, but thanks to special salary table 999b, I'm making more this time than I would have in my old position.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

No bonus.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Depends. Sometimes they only take the first 50 candidates who meet the qualifications. Or you didn't make the BQ list. Or a lot of veterans applied. Or they chose to not hire anyone.

Basically there's no way to know.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Congrats!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

FOXDIE posted:

I'm very interested in the IRS, but unsure if I'd fit. I'm currently a small-team manager at a shipping/receiving warehouse. I deal with numbers a lot, as well as creating/filing reports, communicating with customers, working under deadlines, helping coworkers and subordinates solve problems, things of a general managerial nature. I live in Kentucky, and I see the Covington office often hires clerks, and the duties listed in the job description sounds like things I can handle. I also only have an Associate's degree at the moment, so I'd pretty much have to start at a GS-4 position like the Clerk one.

Would the experience I have as a warehouse manager make me useful in an IRS office?

I looked at the positions currently listed. "Clerk" covers a huge variety of positions, and it generally involves doing the same thing over and over again.

For example, one of the current positions is in document control. Effectively, you would be receiving large piles of stapled docs, determining what the doc is, assigning a control number to it, stamping that number on every page, and putting that doc into a sorted pile. Your job performance is judged almost entirely by how many docs you file.

Sounds riveting, doesn't it?

I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply. If you're planning on getting a bachelors and want to work for the IRS, being a clerk will let you apply internally. But you should understand that low-level positions here are typically little more than paper filing.

It can be really difficult to get ahead here. I know people who got stuck at GS-7 for years. Going from 7 to 9 can be worse, and getting an 11 seems to require an act of God. But if you can get on a 5-7-9-11-12 ladder (get an IT degree), it is relatively easier to move from 12 to 13 than from 7 to 9.

Also be aware that the IRS is very unpopular in congress right now. Our budget gets cut every year. No one is sure when we will actually be able to start back filling positions, and we desperately need to.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Talk to them as a CYA measure. But what you're working on doesn't sound like the type of situation the statute is intended to cover.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The DoD engineering announcements are always worded poorly.

In reality, it's a non compete ladder from GS-05 to GS-12 with competitive promotional potential to 15.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Rakeris posted:

Is that the norm to fill out all that stuff on your first day? When I got hired they just emailed me all the stuff like 2 weeks before my start date and had me bring it in filled out.

I hired on with a group of about 250 people. The vast majority did not fill out the paperwork in advance.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Massasoit posted:

In person interview tomorrow.

Anyone have experience with the Pathways recent grads program re: conversion to permenant?

The position also is 7/9/11/12 but can only start as a 7. If I was gs7-step7 it would be comparable to my current pay. Is it realistic that, if offered the position, they would match step to my current pay?

It's my dream agency/job, but I am hesitant about permenant conversion and starting pay.

Be prepared to provide proof of your current pay -- W-2s or a paystub should be sufficient. If it's in an equivalent position (like your worked IT and now you're getting an IT position) and the match is within the paygrade, they will typically match.

There's also no reason to really bring this up until you get an offer.

If they aren't willing to match, I'd still take job. At GS-7 Step 7 under Rest of US pay amounts, you would make:

GS-7 step 7: $47,481.
GS-9 step 3: $51,629.
GS-11 step 1: $58,562.

If you came in at GS-7 step 1, it would be:
GS-7 step 1: $39,570.
GS-9 step 1: $48,403.
GS-11 step 1: $58,562.

Year one would hurt, but the year 2 difference isn't that large. By year 3 you're making the same amount either way.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 4, 2016

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

huhu posted:

What does this mean: "Not Reviewed, Not Referred"? I feel like it means a computer reviewed my resume and was just like nah.

Sometimes they only pull the first 50 that pass the initial automatic screening. You may have just applied too late.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Soviet Commubot posted:

I know nothing about the Federal hiring process or hiring processes in general, I imagine "Your Name has Been Sent to the Selecting Official" means that HR has determined that I meet the basic requirements and that a recruiter will go through the resumés they received to determine the best qualified candidates to interview, is that about right?

Ya, you made the first cut. How many other people made it depends on the individual agency's rules.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Did you counter offer? GS 14 Step 1 is what a 3rd year attorney would make in my agency. You're clearly worth more than that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Is it an auto to GS-15 or is it a GS 14 with potential promotion to 15 later?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If it follows most other attorney positions, GS-14 is probably the full working level, meaning that if you came in at 11 you would automatically be promoted a pay grade each year until you reach 14. Chances are that there are GS-15 positions, but you have to be a 14 for a year and then apply for the higher grade when one opens.

I would still ask just to make sure. If it was an auto promotion to 15, you would go from GS-14 step 6 to GS-15 step 2 next year. There's a "2 step rule" for grade promotions -- take your current pay step, add 2 steps, then find the first step on the new grade that meets or exceeds that number.

You can also ask why you were offered a 14 when you were marked as qualified for a 15. I know of numerous people who have pushed this point, myself included. I wasn't successful, but I know people who have been. Nobody's job offer was affected by asking, so why not ask?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If you already brought it up and it went up the chain, then pushing the issue probably won't result in anything. Government hiring really is a mess.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Spacewolf posted:

I've never seen any postings specifically for Schedule A eligibles - USAJobs only lets you choose between "open to everybody" and "Federal employees only", basically...

I don't believe that positions are ever listed as Schedule A only, rather you apply for a regular open position as a Schedule A applicant, which allows the agency to hire you without the usual competitive hiring rules. Each agency should have a coordinator that handles this.

Source: vague memories of discussions over lunch with a guy who was a Schedule A hire at the same time I was first hired.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I got the TO and it refers to the position as "GS-0905-14" but then under the position it says "the full performance level of this position is GS-15."

Am I understanding correctly that this means automatic promotion to 15 in a year? My brief research online tells me yes which would change things completely.

Also LOL at having to reply in three days after waiting three weeks...

This is my understanding as well, but definitely verify. Losing a few thousand in year 1 is nothing in the long run, and at GS-14 step 6 you would be GS-15 step 2 in year 2 and right on track.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

So did you take the job Phil?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

After some more discussion, HR confirmed their offer was 14/1, not 14/6. I spoke to my contacts at the agency and they said they had formally requested the higher amount, but I guess it hadn't been approved by HR yet. So, at their advice, I declined the offer and am now waiting for the request to be approved, when they will presumably send me another offer letter.

:)

Good to hear they're looking out for you.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

sullat posted:

Where in the country do you live? IRS hires lots of seasonal employees, look out for jobs opening up at their big processing centers.

Plus you're considered a federal employee while you're furloughed, making it easier to apply to other positions.

I feel for anyone in submission processing, though. I walked through that section today (during an hour-long hunt for a diet Mountain Dew--I failed) and it is stuffed full with rack after rack of returns waiting to be entered.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dislike button posted:

Lmao. This poo poo is so broken.

FYI the IRS has several hundred external entry level positions starting at the GS 5/7/9 levels, announcements close next week

If anyone is applying to the tax compliance officer one, feel free to PM me. I started as one at the IRS before moving into IT.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I hired on with a guy who got a Compliance Officer job in Las Vegas. There's a 90-day wait before you can apply for other positions internally.

During those 90 days, the same job opened in Boise, ID, where he was from and wanted to live. So he applied externally and got the job.

The area manager was kinda pissed about the whole thing, but couldn't really do anything about it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Here's a good one.

I am starting at a new duty station in August. I was just referred for a higher position at that office. Would it be kosher to interview for and possibly accept the higher position?

As long as you accept the position as an external hire, rather than an internal hire, everything is fine. This happens more often than you think.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I know of some help desk and systems administrator positions that are overnight. They're also highly coveted, because they pay overnight differential and don't involve much actual work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

Okay, I transferred and it sucks. I have had debilitating panic attacks every night. If I can get a psychiatrist to say I have an adjustment disorder, do you think I could get a hardship?

I'm confused here. I even went and looked at your old posts and I'm still confused.

I'm taking it that you took the higher paying position in the same office?

Would you want a hardship to a different office, or is it the position in general that's causing panic attacks?

How long have you worked for the government?